• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellis Kim

Banned
mr.hands said:
http://www.metalgearsolid.org/features/in-the-darkness-of-shadow-moses

It is not rose tinted, it just has a much better/coherent story.
I'm not sure what your point is with that link, though its nice to know that that's been transcribed.

What's funny is your ire for Meryl and Snake's exchange, when I've read and heard people praise the scene at the beginning of Act 3 for being the most organic and successful English localisation for dialogue in the entire game.

If you're referring to Act 1, I have no idea how you would have gone about it differently. Something also tells me that you didn't pick up on all of the threads as well.

Did you watch the optional Mission Briefing for Act 1, available in the main menu?

In other news, I found out this week that the Crying Wolf fight is ten times better and more exciting when you ban yourself from using the Solid Eye. Try it! Use just your senses to find her. I also did this with The End and the D-Mic in MGS3.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Itchy//Tasty said:
In other news, I found out this week that the Crying Wolf fight is ten times better and more exciting when you ban yourself from using the Solid Eye. Try it! Use just your senses to find her. I also did this with The End and the D-Mic in MGS3.
Absolutely, though you kind of need it to see which direction the wind is blowing.

Yaweee

This was better than I expected, but I thought the last chapter sucked.

So... Peace Walker next? Or is Portable Ops worth playing through first?

Yaweee said:

Play Portable OPs first just so you can appreciate the improvements in Peace Walker. Portable OPs is all right, pretty much based off the technology of MGS3.

Peace Walker is a much, much better game, but with a heavy emphasis on fighting unmmaned robots. It is deep, has tons of content, and best play with other people.

Look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bagTVh4727E

Yaweee said:

Personally I would just jump straight to Peace Walker. Because its simply a fantastic game, and also because little from Portable OPs seems to carry over plotwise in PW. You won't be missing too much.

Have you played MGS3? That is what you really want to have played before PW. A lot of the story wouldn't have as much impact if you hadn't.

Yaweee

GrumpyAlien said:
Personally I would just jump straight to Peace Walker. Because its simply a fantastic game, and also because little from Portable OPs seems to carry over plotwise in PW. You won't be missing too much.

Have you played MGS3? That is what you really want to have played before PW. A lot of the story wouldn't have as much impact if you hadn't.

Yes, I've played MGS3 already, and think it is the best in the series.

Yaweee said:
Yes, I've played MGS3 already, and think it is the best in the series.

You are in for a treat then. Peacewalker feels like a direct sequel to MGS3. While Portable Ops wasn't bad, it felt like some kind of sidestory. Peacewalker feels like a full fledged MGS game I would have no problem calling MGS5.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
PetriP-TNT said:
Hands up if you thought that the topic was bumped because trophy support was added

o/

:(
This isn't a healthy mindset. Let it go, gents.

No. You need to be signed in to the PSN. If you attempt to sign in and it fails (obviously) you'll be redirected to the connection troubleshooting page.

darkjedi187 said:
But it would be a great reason to play through it again

Or you could go through the game and attempt various challenges or obtain new emblems. I'm on my third play-through in a row after doing a no-kill and no-continue run and then a no-alert, no continue and no health item run. Screw trophies, this game is good enough on its own.

Yaweee

onken said:
Yeah have you played MGS3 lately, the controls are diabolical. It basically impossible to do certain things effectively like capture + shoot (you have to hold circle and square at the same time, iirc). Sneak on the dpad when you have an analogue stick? (exactly the same speed, sound and animation, except one the guards can hear and the other they can't). Pressing CQC too hard slits the enemy's throat (bye bye, kill-free playthrough!). Still uses that awful hold-to-ready, release-to-fire system.

Urgh, seriously terrible controls and easily the worst thing about the game. At least they fixed the terrible camera with Subsistence.

I agree about the controls. MGS4 was a significant step up for the series in terms of controls, while keeping most of MGS3's other gameplay improvements.

However, the moment they "fix" an older game's controls, people will bitch about it ruining the gameplay and balance.

Atruvius

I just started playing this a few days ago. I began playing at Laughing Octopus because I had tried to play this last summer but stopped for some reason. I haven't finished this since the year this released so everything feels quite fresh.

I didn't remember this was so good. Story and characters have hooked me in. Liquid Ocelot is one of the best anatgonists in gaming. His lines are just godly. Other characters are great also. Gameplay feels good except for the cover mechanic which feels janky.

Now I'm at Screaming Beauty boss so I'll be finishing this tonight. I'm not waiting for the horrible
boss fight agains Ocelot on top of the Haven.
That's probably the only frustrating part in the game. It took me almost 40 minutes to finish that part on my first playthrough.

But yeah. One of the best PS3 games ever.

evilgreg

Neo Member
Sorry if this has been asked already but I couldn't find anything:

How the HELL do you sneak up and grab a guard? I want to be able to sneak behind someone, grab them, then slit their throat so they won't wake up. The problem is, every single time I do this (even when I am equipped with a CQC weapon) snake just knocks the guard down immediately--knocking them out. What am I doing wrong here??

Atruvius

evilgreg said:

How the HELL do you sneak up and grab a guard? I want to be able to sneak behind someone, grab them, then slit their throat so they won't wake up. The problem is, every single time I do this (even when I am equipped with a CQC weapon) snake just knocks the guard down immediately--knocking them out. What am I doing wrong here??
Equip knife. Get near a guard. Press and hold R1. You can slit throat with triangle button.

J. M. Romeo said:
I'm going to quote myself since apparently I can't find any further info on this problem. I might as well make a thread.

Nobody has had this issue?

I'm sorry for being such a pain!

I very recently(last month) finished the game again with no issues on my Euro launch 60GB machine, so I don't think it's a firmware issue or anything like that. I'd suggest trying the game and the save file on someone else's PS3 to see if it still resets there.

Hard to make any real guesses, you've just got to start eliminating possibilities.

evilgreg said:

You're pressing the analog stick when you grab them -- Don't do that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
one85x said:
I believe it's only possible to grab with a one-handed CQC weapon as well.

No?

You should be able to grab with any CQC pistol+knife combo. The two-handed assault rifles are "CQC" but they aren't true "CQC" like MGS3.

I'm attempting a Big Boss emblem run right now. I got through Act 1 in 38 minutes. Unfortunately, I didn't realize I used up so much of my mk.II ammo, and now I'm at the start of act 2 with about nine rounds left. I have my solar gun which is good because this chapter is nothing but sunlight, but are there any locations where I could pick up some tranq ammo?

Also, no, Drebin does not sell tranq ammo on The Boss Extreme difficulty.

TheSeks

RadioHeadAche said:
Also, no, Drebin does not sell tranq ammo on The Boss Extreme difficulty.

You could stun them with the MG Mk. 2? Though that runs the risk of being discovered and I'm not sure if the Mk. 2's "!"'s count against you yourself as you aren't technically the one being spotted.

3dmodeler said:
Did you get any laughing/rage/cry tranqs? If you use up the regular ones you can try using those as a last resort.

I forgot to buy them on my last playthrough.

TheSeks said:
You could stun them with the MG Mk. 2? Though that runs the risk of being discovered and I'm not sure if the Mk. 2's "!"'s count against you yourself as you aren't technically the one being spotted.

If someone see the Mk. 2 it will initiate an alert and count against you. The only time the Mk. 2 is really efficient is during the Advent Palace fight. Any other time seems too risky.

TheSeks

Hmmm... maybe use Octocamo a lot? You have some Mosin rounds? Can you buy Mosin Rounds from Drebin?

TheSeks

3dmodeler said:
Mosin Nagant rifle is too loud and not very effective for the the Boss extreme run and they also use the same tranqs as the mk.2

Ah, right. I generally snipe from a distance and forget the sound it makes in close combat. Didn't know it used the same rounds, IIRC MGS3's Mosin and Hush Puppy used different variants of the tranq rounds.

Octocamo should work, but the major issue I had with it compared to MGS3's camo options was that it took a while to reset the camo if you left it on auto and the "manual" "make-a-camo" option was really clunky and not too effective. :/

TheSeks said:
Hmmm... maybe use Octocamo a lot? You have some Mosin rounds? Can you buy Mosin Rounds from Drebin?

Octocamo is imperative for stealth, period. I do have mosin rounds, and no you cannot buy any non-lethal ammo from Drebin in this difficulty. I could try equipping the Haven camo and then use the mosin. It might send me into caution status, but they shouldn't be able to see me.

Finally got my Big Boss emblem, and I'm having fun scaring the PMCs with the "Big Boss" facecamo. I was wondering, for those whom have achieved the Big Boss rank on the earlier MGS titles, how hard is it? I know some of those require beating the game with zero or very, very few saves which I find difficult. If I had restrictions on saving for MGS4, I never would have attempted it. It's too easy to mess up and possibly lose a lot of work.

glaurung

RadioHeadAche said:
Finally got my Big Boss emblem, and I'm having fun scaring the PMCs with the "Big Boss" facecamo. I was wondering, for those whom have achieved the Big Boss rank on the earlier MGS titles, how hard is it? I know some of those require beating the game with zero or very, very few saves which I find difficult. If I had restrictions on saving for MGS4, I never would have attempted it. It's too easy to mess up and possibly lose a lot of work.
There has not been a BIG BOSS name for the hardest difficulty levels before. It was either VERY HARD or something like that.

But even BIG BOSS pales in comparison to the lunacy that was EUROPEAN EXTREME in MGS2. Go read up on it.

No I mean the emblems you receive at the end of the game, like eagle, hound, etc.

Also, European Extreme was the difficulty that would result in a game-over if you were spotted once, right?

Oh, and to anyone whom may attempt the Big Boss emblem for MGS4, good luck with the bike chase. Definitely the worst part of that playthrough.

glaurung

RadioHeadAche said:
No I mean the emblems you receive at the end of the game, like eagle, hound, etc.

Also, European Extreme was the difficulty that would result in a game-over if you were spotted once, right?

Oh, and to anyone whom may attempt the Big Boss emblem for MGS4, good luck with the bike chase. Definitely the worst part of that playthrough.
Oh, I thought you were talking about the difficulty levels in MGS4.

Yes, European Extreme was insane. No rations, one spotting and it was game over. Plus some madness about saving etc.

glaurung said:
Oh, I thought you were talking about the difficulty levels in MGS4.

Yes, European Extreme was insane. No rations, one spotting and it was game over. Plus some madness about saving etc.

If I had to guess, I'd say MGS4 probably is the easiest game to achieve the highest rank. No rations is just bananas especially with the boss fight against the harrier and Vamp later on in the game.

onken

RadioHeadAche said:
If I had to guess, I'd say MGS4 probably is the easiest game to achieve the highest rank. No rations is just bananas especially with the boss fight against the harrier and Vamp later on in the game.

I hate to be "that guy" but they're really not that bad once you've got the tactics down.

glaurung said:

I can't finish European Extreme in MGS2 because I can't win the fortune fight :/

Change "No Place To Hide..:" to "No Trophy Support Announced, No Time For A Bump"

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
PetriP-TNT said:
I can't finish European Extreme in MGS2 because I can't win the fortune fight :/

That's nothing, the REAL trial is beating the Solidus Button tapping minigame on that difficulty. It's outright impossible. Always the dumbest shit in these games, made even more stupid by forcing players that want a tough stealth challenge unable to beat the unfairly scaled button mashing minigames.

A serious blemish on Kojima Productions. What the fuck were they thinking!

TheSeks

RadioHeadAche said:

Big Boss AFAIK doesn't require the hardest mode outside of MGS1 (and 4), 2/3 don't need it. It's just 0 kills, 0 alerts, 0-5 (IIRC) saves. You might want to read up on them, but I think 3 is probably the easiest.

hank_tree

Brandon F said:
That's nothing, the REAL trial is beating the Solidus Button tapping minigame on that difficulty. It's outright impossible. Always the dumbest shit in these games, made even more stupid by forcing players that want a tough stealth challenge unable to beat the unfairly scaled button mashing minigames.

A serious blemish on Kojima Productions. What the fuck were they thinking!

I had totally forgotten about that. I think it did permanent damage to my hand.

Don

Dibbz said:
That theme was in MGS4, I'm sure of it. I just played it the other day. I'll try and find it.
It isn't. They replaced the Metal Gear Solid Main Theme with Metal Gear Saga because of the whole plagarism scandal. The last time that the main theme was used was in a trailer for Portable Ops, but it was changed before the game released.

Dibbz

Don said:
It isn't. They replaced the Metal Gear Solid Main Theme with Metal Gear Saga because of the whole plagarism scandal. The last time that the main theme was used was in a trailer for Portable Ops, but it was changed before the game released.
Ah right I thought it was the same track. Sounds similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom