• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiX-

Metal Gear Saga sounds enough like the MGS2 main theme to me. Like a spiritual successor of some sort.

If I want the real MGS2 main theme, I'll go play MGS2.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
SamuraiX- said:
Metal Gear Saga sounds enough like the MGS2 main theme to me. Like a spiritual successor of some sort.

If I want the real MGS2 main theme, I'll go play MGS2.

Better game too!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Ballistics said:
I thought the Old Snake Theme was the MGS2 Theme slowed down?
The MGS2 Theme was very definitely used in MGS4.
You're hearing things, dude. As much as we all want the old main theme to be in the game, it simply isn't.

"Metal Gear Saga" is a decent replacement, I guess. Like Don said, it's mostly just an extended arrangement of the first 2 minutes of MGS3's main theme.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
J. M. Romeo said:
Two things happened: New firmware update and me unplugging all of the Rock Band USB dongles, including the MIDI box for my V-Drums.

And the game played just fine. So everything's peachy. I don't know which one of the things was responsible, though.

Probably the Rock Band equipment. You could test by plugging those back in and booting the game. But if you don't care... *shrug*

Catalix said:
You're hearing things, dude. As much as we all want the old main theme to be in the game, it simply isn't.

"Metal Gear Saga" is a decent replacement, I guess. Like Don said, it's mostly just an extended arrangement of the first 2 minutes of MGS3's main theme.

The Metal Gear Saga is a remix of the MGS2 Theme, it's different in places, but it's the same music. Father and Son, it is there at 1.53 and 2.08 is a part of it on a classical guitar.

It's not the exact same piece of music and not played with the same instruments, but it's still in there.

EDIT
Was the Main Theme in MGS???!!! If so I have completely missed that for 13 years! :D That must be why it's not in the LBP DLC!

I understand why it's slightly different now...you learn something new everyday ;)

I beat this game a while back... I don't see why some people dislike it. I actually enjoyed it a lot! The game was action packed, stealthy and a lot of fun. I even watched all of the cutsences without skipping any of them. I see myself coming back to this game again, very soon. One of the best PS3 exclusives, in my opinion.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
CriterionDog said:
I beat this game a while back... I don't see why some people dislike it. I actually enjoyed it a lot! The game was action packed, stealthy and a lot of fun. I even watched all of the cutsences without skipping any of them. I see myself coming back to this game again, very soon. One of the best PS3 exclusives, in my opinion.

Have you played the other three in the Solid series? Just curious.

Ellis Kim

Banned
If anyone cares, Kojipro's doing some sort of MGO 3rd year anniversary event thing:

http://www.konami.jp/mgo/en/hd/event/3rd_anniversary.html

[Round 1] MGO 3rd Anniversary Special Campaign

-Giveaway Content
* 10,000rwd
-Eligibility
* Any players who have logged in to play MGO during the campaign.
* All PC under the player's GAME ID will receive the 10,000rwd.
* No matter how many times a player logs in, the player will only receive 10,000rwd.
-Campaign Period
* The campaign will start after the regularly scheduled maintenance on 7/12/2011 and will end right before the regularly scheduled maintenance on 8/9/2011.
-Reward Distribution Date
* During the scheduled maintenance on 8/16/2011

[Round 2] Limited Time Only, Double your Reward Points

-Campaign Details
* Daily Rewards, Official Tournament Rewards, and Automatching Rewards will be doubled for limited time only.
-Campaign Period
* The campaign will start after the regularly scheduled maintenance on 7/19/2011 and will end right before the regularly scheduled maintenance on 7/26/2011.

[Round 3] Limited Time Only, The Patriot Unlocked for All Players!

-Campaign Details
* The Patriot will be unlocked for all players for all players for a limited amount of time.
-Campaign Period
* The campaign will start after the regularly scheduled maintenance on 7/26/2011 and will end right before the regularly scheduled maintenance on 8/2/2011.

Too bad I don't remember my konami ID :/

Radec

CriterionDog said:

well you can't please everyone. haters will always hate. etc..

but who cares, many people here liked the game.

CriterionDog said:
I had SUCH a pain logging in with my Konami ID, I just decided to not playMGO.
Is there a reason why we have to use Konami ID, why not our PSN?

because kojima/konami likes to troll.

MGO would have been more popular if it wasn't for that konami id shit.

hsukardi

CriterionDog said:
I had SUCH a pain logging in with my Konami ID, I just decided to not playMGO.
Is there a reason why we have to use Konami ID, why not our PSN?

The gaming companies like Konami are trying to build their own platform and control more valuable information. Right now, only Sony or Microsoft have access to the player's information -- i.e. age, credit card #, action history etc.

Konami felt that they could use their "ace", the Metal Gear Solid franchise, to force this to happen in their favor. With all the MGS freaks, surely everything will fall in place for them.

While they may have gotten the account information of all the MGS freaks, their solution in the current marketplace will NEVER be mainstream, and they'll never get to the position that they want.

The person who thought of all of this/approved this is a motherfucking idiot.

Ra1den

CriterionDog said:

Yeah man I'm with you, it is an incredible game. The reason some people dog it is because they are comparing it with the utter perfection of the first three MGS titles. MGS4 is not perfect, but the good things FAR outweigh the problems.

Also, anytime a game takes a very different direction, as MGS4 does, there is bound to be lots of hating. Like with FFXII, which was very different from prior entries, but equally brilliant in its own ways.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Yep, she dressed up as Laughing Octopus. So awesome.

i_won__t_laugh_anymore_by_onpaperwings-d41yiqo.jpg

http://www.signonsandiego.com/video...fQJLg10&bclid=46882334001&bctid=1071871497001

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
^ dayum, perfection!

Thanks for the vid link. Pretty cool insight into their process.

AAK

Ellis Kim said:
Yep, she dressed up as Laughing Octopus. So awesome.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/245154912/i_won__t_laugh_anymore_by_onpaperwings-d41yiqo.jpg[IMG]

[url]http://www.signonsandiego.com/video/?bcpid=33836215001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAA5PNMME~,K3tOT-Puafv-ORP_JfYKdbwb_fQJLg10&bclid=46882334001&bctid=1071871497001[/url][/QUOTE]

Oh Kojima, taking that photo opportunity to wrap his arm right around that actresses bottom. Stealth Lord supreme.

Ra1den said:
Yeah man I'm with you, it is an incredible game. The reason some people dog it is because they are comparing it with the utter perfection of the first three MGS titles. MGS4 is not perfect, but the good things FAR outweigh the problems.

Also, anytime a game takes a very different direction, as MGS4 does, there is bound to be lots of hating. Like with FFXII, which was very different from prior entries, but equally brilliant in its own ways.

It amazes me that people still say "I didn't pay for a movie", when MGS has always had a huge amount of gameplay and replay value (without trophies). And MGS4 has the biggest levels in the series...it has MORE of Shadow Moses Island than MGS. Act 1 & 2 are massive, there was a whole section that I missed (even after two playthroughs).

SkylineRKR

My gripe with MGS4 was that the gameplay of the other acts didn't live up to the first 2.

Act 1 and 2 had lots of different routes you could take and you could clear them in a lot of different ways. That was gone in the subsequent acts.

Act 5 was a bit of a joke really. The balance between gameplay and cutscenes became increasingly lopsided in favour of the latter. I always secretly wished for some kind of director's cut of it, in which Kojima fixes Act 5 and puts in a ton of more gameplay.

Still, I enjoyed the experience and I'm looking forward to experiencing the whole clusterfuck that is the MGS series when the HD collection comes out this November.

JB1981

I would play the campaign more if it wasn't for the installs. The installs and Konami ID might be the two biggest blunders I can think of all gen

SamuraiX-

PedroPanache said:
Act 5 was a bit of a joke really. The balance between gameplay and cutscenes became increasingly lopsided in favour of the latter. I always secretly wished for some kind of director's cut of it, in which Kojima fixes Act 5 and puts in a ton of more gameplay.

Still, I enjoyed the experience and I'm looking forward to experiencing the whole clusterfuck that is the MGS series when the HD collection comes out this November.

Act 5 felt really rushed. I refuse to believe its short length was something deliberate.

It had the potential to be the longest act of them all, yet there were only like 3 major areas in the entire level.

I probably would've waited another 6 or 8 months if that meant they could have just added more to it.

Utako

Banned
Ballistics said:
It amazes me that people still say "I didn't pay for a movie", when MGS has always had a huge amount of gameplay and replay value (without trophies). And MGS4 has the biggest levels in the series...it has MORE of Shadow Moses Island than MGS. Act 1 & 2 are massive, there was a whole section that I missed (even after two playthroughs).
Yeah, people who play MGS4 not expecting an awesome, verbose tale are idiots.

JB1981 said:
I would play the campaign more if it wasn't for the installs. The installs and Konami ID might be the two biggest blunders I can think of all gen

Yep. I would pay full price for a MGS4 ver. 2 without installs, and with trophies included. Skipping cutscenes on replays of the campaign makes the installs a pain.

One massive install would have been fine. It's not so much the installs, just the Acts split the game up unevenly.

And adding to Act 5? Where would it go? :D

neoemonk

I got MGS4 at launch, and got to Act 2, but went out of town for work for six weeks, came home, and had two weeks to move. My PS3 ended up in storage for almost six months, and I never got around to finishing Metal Gear off when I finally got the PS3 back.

I've been playing it recently, and really find myself enjoying it. I've played each Metal Gear Solid game at launch, and haven't touched either of the PSP titles, so I find the story line to be a bit confusing from time to time. I think it's already convoluted enough without having several years in between MGS 3 and 4, but I'm still enjoying the game overall. I just started Act 3 tonight, and will probably get through it over the course of the weekend.

Catalix

SamuraiX- said:
Act 5 felt really rushed. I refuse to believe its short length was something deliberate.

It had the potential to be the longest act of them all, yet there were only like 3 major areas in the entire level.

I probably would've waited another 6 or 8 months if that meant they could have just added more to it.
Agreed. In particular, I felt both Acts 3 and 5 were extremely limited. I could easily imagine that substantial gameplay content had to be severely compromised, or outright cut, due to time constraints (the act 3 sewer escape being just the tip of the iceberg)

Ballistics said:
And adding to Act 5? Where would it go? :D
Still
Outer Haven
, just more of it. It's not really a fully realized location, as presented in the game.

Compare that to a relatively small, contained setpiece like the Tanker in MGS2, which still had plenty to see and explore.

Catalix said:
Compare that to a relatively small, contained setpiece like the Tanker in MGS2, which still had plenty to see and explore.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. The confined space of MGS2 really made it for me.

Raonak

Banned
Love this game too much. My favourite game ever.

I want a Substance version so badly. When it released, I was 80% sure it was in the pipeline. But 3 years later... nothing. :(

RadioHeadAche said:
Me too, and that's not exactly a good thing. I mostly play zombie, though as I've grown bored with TDM and all that.

I mostly play TSNE...it is a tiny community and from there I get people playing survival with me.

TSNE is hiliarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom