• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Himself

What do you mean? That was one of the easiest boss battles in any game I've ever played. Unless you meant the cut scenes and codec leading to it. There were at least 2 occasions where my controller turned off due to inactivity during cut scenes.

I suppose all the revelations leading up to the fight didnt help anything. (Everything post RAY fight was just...way too much.) I wouldnt say it was too difficult, i beat it on my fifth or sixth try, but the controls definitely didnt make me feel like a bad ass ninja fighting on a roof. It makes sense that KP couldnt make en entire game out of this mechanic. I was mostly just venting my frustration.

That's actually the easiest fight on extreme. That's the relief after the shit with the twenty Metal Gear RAY units.

I can only imagine.

strobogo

Banned
I'm really into Peace Walker. It feels a lot more engaging to me than Snake Eater or MGS2. Although, I really liked Snake Eater dramatically more than MGS2. I was undecided on it after I beat it, but now I think I like it a lot. The style and and humor.

I am a little bummed at how...normal Peace Walker is. I'm sure it will get insane later on, but so far there is no wackiness. I'm only on the start of chapter 2, though. I like the motion comic style of cut scenes, the briefing files, and how awesome CQC is. But then again, there is an achievement for shooting someone in the asshole, so I'm sure things will be crazy.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Playing through the snake tales in MGS2 right now, and they are actually a lot better than I remembered - lack of radar, new enemy placements in existing levels, and no tranquilizer make for a nice challenge.

VR missions are awesome too, but definitely needed some trimming in terms of the number of missions it has. They probably would have been better off with 200-300 instead of 500. Because playing a lot of them at once, can be seriously exhausting.

I'm really into Peace Walker. It feels a lot more engaging to me than Snake Eater or MGS2. Although, I really liked Snake Eater dramatically more than MGS2. I was undecided on it after I beat it, but now I think I like it a lot. The style and and humor.

I am a little bummed at how...normal Peace Walker is. I'm sure it will get insane later on, but so far there is no wackiness. I'm only on the start of chapter 2, though. I like the motion comic style of cut scenes, the briefing files, and how awesome CQC is. But then again, there is an achievement for shooting someone in the asshole, so I'm sure things will be crazy.
Most of the wackiness is sadly in the extra post-game content.;p

Ephemeris

After the nth run-through of MGS2, it's more and more apparent it's my least fave entry in the series.

I really wish I could understand the POV of those who say it's the best of all the games. : /

After the nth run-through of MGS2, it's more and more apparent it's my least fave entry in the series.

I really wish I could understand the POV of those who say it's the best of all the games. : /

I like MGS1 a lot for its atmosphere and presentation (so basically the aesthetics), but it can't compare with MGS2 mechanically. MGS3 is just kind of a tedious game to play unless you abuse the tranquilizer or Rambo (neither of which are fun playstyles). All of them are good, but I think MGS2 clearly stands head-and-shoulders above the others.

Omikaru

I like MGS1 a lot for its atmosphere and presentation (so basically the aesthetics), but it can't compare with MGS2 mechanically. MGS3 is just kind of a tedious game to play unless you abuse the tranquilizer or Rambo (neither of which are fun playstyles). All of them are good, but I think MGS2 clearly stands head-and-shoulders above the others.

This is how I feel. If I'm completely honest though, MGS2's gameplay only shines when you do the VR missions. There's some insanely designed levels later on in that mode, and it's very rewarding to play.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

It's funny, before diving back into these games on the HD collection, I always went back and forth on which was my favorite in the series: MSG 2 or 3. But after tons of trophy-hunting playthroughs for both, I'm with Sir Ilpalazzo on this. I can safely say MSG2 is my all-time fav. I get excited every time I come back to it. MGS3 might have greater environmental variety, and offer many more features, but MGS2 is just such a tightly designed product. As far as gameplay is concerned, it feels more refined and focused than Snake Eater.

I also just love the distinct sense of place with Big Shell and the Tanker. The marina atmosphere is palpable. You can almost feel the sea breeze when running across one of those outdoor connecting bridges.

And as Omikaru mentioned, let's not forget the shit ton of extra "gamey" content from the Substance version. The game's overall value skyrockets from that alone.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
MGS2 is the best for me simply because it has the most refined 'traditional" MGS gameplay in the series. It also has a shit load of content in form of higher difficulties with no radar settings and dozens of VR missions that take full advantage of it's refined mechanics.

I love MGS3, but that's the game that really took the gameplay in a direction that was quite distinct from it's roots as a puzzle-stealth action game, MGS4 and PW basically continued that trend, and the same deal is happening with MGS : Ground Zeroes at this point. While I'm perfectly happy with the current gameplay direction of the series, I'd love to see a another traditional MGS like MGS1/2 again in terms of gameplay, it's a damn shame PO / PW basically shoehorned MGS3/4 esque gameplay onto the system, as MGS1/2 styled gameplay would have been far more adequate for the controls of that system.

Speaking of which, I'm playing Metal Gear : Ghost Babel right now, and it's basically the type of game I wanted PO and PW to be except it's 2D.. sogood.gif

Ephemeris

MGS3 is the only one of I never played day one. 2's aftertaste did that. In fact, I'm pretty sure I never dived into 3 until Subsistence came out, which is sad.

I'm not a Raiden-hater, but story wise it was the weakest. Maybe it's due to the fact Rose reminds me of my Ex (and not in a good way; I used to skip those convos during saves). Boss fights were so-so (I loved going against the Rays).

I like MGS1 a lot for its atmosphere and presentation (so basically the aesthetics),
I think it's those two departments where MGS2 lets me down. Even though the plant and the base in Shadow Moses are both one large areas, something about the Plant that seems so "Plain". MGS3 has them beat in the scenery department though.

With that said, I consider the campaign separate from everything else. I'm a huge fan of the Snake tales and VR Missions. But even as an overall package I would still give the nod to MGS3:S which gave us sweet MGO loving and dat camera

My main problem with MGS3 is my having to go to the pause menu so damned much.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
MGS1 is probably the best in how it executes the combination of narrative and gameplay. There's a lot of awesome small details that make it all come together as a game - from the atmosphere & design of shadow moses, the PAL card segment, how the bosses fit within the narrative etc. MGS2 campaign by comparison, actually felt a bit to restricted by the narrative in some aspects, most notably a few things come to mind - the boss fights, the fact you don't get to explore the entirely of big shell (even if there was no-where in the story where that would be possible oh well). I enjoyed the hell out of the storyline though. (probably the last time I really enjoyed a MGS plot sadly)

MGS3 campaign is probably the most satisfying in terms of being the complete package, it has the perfect amount of areas, number of boss fights and none of it feels restricted or held back by the narrative, unfortunately I find the gameplay mechanics themselves to be a bit to overambitious and lacking in terms of execution, interesting enough, MGS4 didn't suffer from this problem, but lacks the fantastic campaign that MGS3 had to take full advantage of it's polished mechanics.

strobogo

Banned
MGS2 is a punishment. The whole game is just to piss you off. I didn't feel like there was a single fight or mission that felt like it had any resolution or pay off. The whole game was "hey, FUCK YOU player, stop playing this god damn game" and "lolz, you thought this mission meant anything?" "remember that warehouse you've been to 20 times? Go back. And then after that, you can go back again and again for the next 4 hours of game time". The whole time. Plus the weird, nonsensical message the game tried to have. I would never play MGS2 again. I would play Snake Eater and Peace Walker again for sure. Peace Walker is awesome.

EDIT: Finished the main story of Peace Walker. Fuck. That was a lot more heavy than I was expecting. Having to redo killing The Boss from Snake Eater, and having to kill the horse, and THEN killing her AI that was more or less sentient by HALing her as she screams in pain each time you pull out circuit boards while making less and less sense as you go along. Jesus fuck. Kojima is a monster. The HALing was way more emotional and upsetting than killing her in Snake Eater.

rvy

Banned

Easy. It defied the fans expectations of what a sequel is. It trolled everyone. No other game has been able to do this so well. MGS 2 is a landmark. Best game in the series, on par with MG II: Solid Snake.

iLLmAtlc

328a2iz6q.jpg

Was pretty fun! The requirements like damage taken, food eaten and basically everything outside of alerts/continues/saves were more smoke and mirrors than actually more difficult. I was hoping to finish it with a sub-3 hours time, but oh well. I'm actually looking forward to doing it again with all of the awesome camo I got for completing this one. I also realized I was saving a little too less in this run so I'll have a lot more to use in the next run too (I burned quite a few at the end, rail bridge, volgin fight, and a few other places where it just wasn't necessary).

Sorry about the crappy image quality, should have let my phone focused the shot a bit more I think.

strobogo

Banned
All I have left on the Extra Ops are tank/chopper/AI battles. I'm about to give up on it because 8 of those in a row is boring as fuck. I wish there was a quick way to beat those. I'd like to finish it, but those are such a grind.

Facism

playing Peace Walker, i'm enjoying it, just a shame that the online seems to be a ghost town.

Really hating the MGS4 "LOL AI NEW WORLD ORDER" crap that infests story, though. Probably why MGS3 is my favourite in the series. You got goofy shyte like the Cobras, but generally everything is free of the bloated story taint of MGS2 and 4.

Loving how i don't need anything but the mk .22 outside of mech missions. 0 enemy fatalities (by my hand, at least) so far.

God all i want to do is go back and play MGS3 again.

Maddocks

playing Peace Walker, i'm enjoying it, just a shame that the online seems to be a ghost town.

Really hating the MGS4 "LOL AI NEW WORLD ORDER" crap that infests story, though. Probably why MGS3 is my favourite in the series. You got goofy shyte like the Cobras, but generally everything is free of the bloated story taint of MGS2 and 4.

Loving how i don't need anything but the mk .22 outside of mech missions. 0 enemy fatalities (by my hand, at least) so far.

God all i want to do is go back and play MGS3 again.

Definately my 2 favorite metal gear games are MGS3 and Peace Walker. Only thing I dislike about peace walker is the online component. But its such a well rounded game.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Peace Walker's AI storyline is even worse than MGS4's AI storyline, though. And I hate MGS4. Peace Walker's gameplay is also too simplistic and easy. It was made with portability in mind, the levels are so much less detailed and full than the main games. Everything is so plain.

And the goofiness of MGS3 hardly ends at the Cobras. Eva backflipping off of Ocelot's face with a motorcycle. Ocelot meowing literally like a cat. Raikov being insultingly stereotypically gay. Floating rocket-propelled guard platforms in 1964. Do these things not bother anyone else aesthetically? Because they annoy the crap out of me. The vampire and the fat bomber on rollerskates were at least important to the storyline. The latter in particular is extremely weird and messed up, but not particularly insane like so much of the stuff in MGS3 which felt like Twin Snakes at times.

My main problem with MGS3 is my having to go to the pause menu so damned much.

I see where you're coming from, but you don't really have to. Camo can be kept on Tiger Stripe at all times for a reasonable index score, Healing is really just a result of getting into combat too much, Food can be bypassed entirely with relying on Instant Noodles (there's quite a few in the game and I do believe they respawn), and Backpack is actually done better than in MGS4 where you could equip maybe FIVE weapons as opposed to MGS3's much more convenient TEN or so.

Ephemeris

I see where you're coming from, but you don't really have to. Camo can be kept on Tiger Stripe at all times for a reasonable index score, Healing is really just a result of getting into combat too much, Food can be bypassed entirely with relying on Instant Noodles (there's quite a few in the game and I do believe they respawn), and Backpack is actually done better than in MGS4 where you could equip maybe FIVE weapons as opposed to MGS3's much more convenient TEN or so.

I thought the weight played a part on the stamina decreasing. I barely took much damage, it was just my 90% or bust stealth mentality and NOM NOM NOM keep-my-stamina-always-maxed syndrome

iLLmAtlc

foxhoundbypf0.jpg

1:48:55

It was fun, I think this is about the fastest I could possibly do it. I couldn't beat The Pain very fast (took me about 5 mins from the save to get to the river) but otherwise I did everything as well as I could in terms of the stealth parts and other boss fights. I could maybe reduce it further by about a minute if I didn't have a few hiccups (like missing headshots, getting stuck behind places) and probably lower it even more if I didn't have to change camo so much, but I don't think I'm gonna do that.

I'm done for the foreseeable future. I'm gonna miss this game!

NP (Snake Eater w/ instrumental intro):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDY-PxP-2CU

Dekra

Neo Member
I'm playing Snake Eater again and I have gotten to a part that has always bothered me. After I talked to Granin in the lab I have to leave the building. I simply can not walk out though because I always get discovered by the scientists working in the next room. I know they aren't supposed to see my face but I can't get around that happening in this particular situation.

How do I get past them without them noticing me?

I think I asked this question before and I got the answer that Snake Eater plays after you clear Virtuous Mission.

But does it also play when you boot up the game? I think Snake Eater played when you started it up on the PS2.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I'm playing Snake Eater again and I have gotten to a part that has always bothered me. After I talked to Granin in the lab I have to leave the building. I simply can not walk out though because I always get discovered by the scientists working in the next room. I know they aren't supposed to see my face but I can't get around that happening in this particular situation.

cardboard box

I think I asked this question before and I got the answer that Snake Eater plays after you clear Virtuous Mission.

But does it also play when you boot up the game? I think Snake Eater played when you started it up on the PS2.

Yes, you essentially "unlock" it after the first time you pass the Virtuous Mission. It then plays whenever you boot up the game after that.

Ezi0

It will play every time you boot the game up once you've cleared the Virtuous Mission.

Edit: Beaten to it lol.

BadWolf

Before you enter that room with the scientists there is a room with some lockers, you can get a cigar that emits a sleeping gas or something in one of them. You can put the scientists to sleep no prob with it iirc.

Peace Walker's AI storyline is even worse than MGS4's AI storyline, though. And I hate MGS4. Peace Walker's gameplay is also too simplistic and easy. It was made with portability in mind, the levels are so much less detailed and full than the main games. Everything is so plain.

And the goofiness of MGS3 hardly ends at the Cobras. Eva backflipping off of Ocelot's face with a motorcycle. Ocelot meowing literally like a cat. Raikov being insultingly stereotypically gay. Floating rocket-propelled guard platforms in 1964. Do these things not bother anyone else aesthetically? Because they annoy the crap out of me. The vampire and the fat bomber on rollerskates were at least important to the storyline. The latter in particular is extremely weird and messed up, but not particularly insane like so much of the stuff in MGS3 which felt like Twin Snakes at times..

No because MGS1 had a floating psychic who threw energy orbs at Snake and a giant man who had a raven fly out of his forehead

Audioboxer

Completed MGS2 the other night, done a no kill/no alert playthrough. Was a great trip down memory lane, I completed MGS2 quite a few times on my PS2.

MGS3 though, I only ever completed it once. I'm playing through it now, almost feels completely new to me, loving it.

This HD collection is masterfully done, I haven't had one hitch, runs great and looks great as well.

After MGS3, it's PW time. It'll be my first every playthrough! Waited for it with the HD collection instead of playing on Vita.

^^^ To the poster above talking about the craziness, MGS simply seems to be one series I feel at home with unrealistic bosses/events. Maybe it's MGS1 laying the ground for the crazy back in the day, or something else, but I seem to entertain weird shit being interlaced with the story. Right down to the codec conversations actually saying 'push triangle to climb a tree' and other instructions voiced directly to you as if it was a natural thing to say - I love them :p

Picked this up (finally have some spending money), and am most pleased so far.

Only problem: There is no sound from the rear-right speaker during cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid 3. It seems to be working during gameplay, but not during cutscenes. Is there any fix for this?

Audioboxer

Just got my MGS3 platinum! First out of the three.

With a guide it was fairly straight forward to get a plat in one playthrough, but fuckingrageface@Kojima with those Kerotans in the motorbike scenes.

Forgot how great MGS3 is, such a good ending.

Anybody have any hints on holding enemies up for dog tags in MGS2 on PS3? I've just about given up on it, because the analog face buttons are so finicky that I end up shooting the enemy every time when I let go of the button to lower my weapon and move around to their front.

Sgblues

Anybody have any hints on holding enemies up for dog tags in MGS2 on PS3? I've just about given up on it, because the analog face buttons are so finicky that I end up shooting the enemy every time when I let go of the button to lower my weapon and move around to their front.

Oh just do a quick un-equip with R2 and re-equip while you're moving in front of them.

Catalix

You can also hold L1 to run while aiming your gun.

After that, you can run straight through the guard's back during a hold-up. Snake will pop out the other side automatically facing in the enemy's direction. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSVspTSA480#t=8m15s

Audioboxer

Now that I've completed MGS2, then MGS3, should I go for PW or just move onto MGS4?

PW is the only MGS game I've never played, so it seems like an easy choice, but how is it story wise? I know it seems to have great gameplay and tons of hours of content, but the story?

I've booted it up and played a little of it, seems interesting enough and the HD port is okay - Areas are sparse, but character models are decent. Shame they swapped the knife for the stun baton. Strange move that. I can understand the removal of prone movement in favour of crouch walking for the handheld.

Roto13

Audίoboxer;43445798 said:
Now that I've completed MGS2, then MGS3, should I go for PW or just move onto MGS4?

PW is the only MGS game I've never played, so it seems like an easy choice, but how is it story wise? I know it seems to have great gameplay and tons of hours of content, but the story?

I've booted it up and played a little of it, seems interesting enough and the HD port is okay - Areas are sparse, but character models are decent. Shame they swapped the knife for the stun baton. Strange move that. I can understand the removal of prone movement in favour of crouch walking for the handheld.

Stun baton keeps the content rating down. :p Peace Walker is basically Metal Gear Solid 5. I'd recommend playing it after 4, but since you've already played it, just do what you want. :p

The story is ok. Nothing really mindblowing about it. Kind of weird that Big Boss still has so many questions about The Boss' death, considering it was all explained to him in MGS3....

Audioboxer

Stun baton keeps the content rating down. :p Peace Walker is basically Metal Gear Solid 5. I'd recommend playing it after 4, but since you've already played it, just do what you want. :p

The story is ok. Nothing really mindblowing about it. Kind of weird that Big Boss still has so many questions about The Boss' death, considering it was all explained to him in MGS3....

Surprisingly for a MGS fan I've only ever completed MGS4 once. I think it was because trophy patch rumours started not long after release, and I shelved it thinking it would definitely get a patch. As time went on I always had a stream of new games to play and the trophy patch hope was always in the back of my head :p

Therefore I think I may play through MGS4 again first, and then tackle PW. Since I just finished MGS3, I could do with going back to Solid Snake before hitting up Boss again.

Bit sad to hear that last part, as you said everything was explained.... I was a bit worried with it being on the PSP certain areas would be weaker compared to a console release.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
MGS4 is the better game. PW isn't as good as the mainline games in any aspect.

so let that dictate the order you play them in.

If you're completing the trophy packs for both, expect to commit ALOT of time to either one

Audioboxer

MGS4 is the better game. PW isn't as good as the mainline games in any aspect.

so let that dictate the order you play them in.

If you're completing the trophy packs for both, expect to commit ALOT of time to either one

I got the platinum in MGS3, but I doubt I'll be getting it in any other of the games any time soon :p I'll happily do my no kills/no alert playthrough of each game (done it for 2/3), but I am not playing 2/4 '8' times through - I quickly checked PW trophies and it seems they're just as bad.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Peace Walker's pack is probably the worst of the HD collection.

2 and 4 seem manageable but I don't blame you for not wanting to replay that many times lol.

I still highly recommend 4 over PW. Especially if you want to do a no kills/alert playthrough as PW doesn't offer replayability in that way.(alerts and kills tracked on a per mission basis rather than playthrough. It might track overall kills/alerts on your profile, but there's no way to reset that short of starting a new save)

hello fellow metal gear gaffers.

just wondering if i buy the mgs hd collection on psn do i still get metal gear 1 and 2

also if i buy the collection can i download each game seperately or do i have to download the whole lot

thanks in advance

Does playing peacewalker ruin anything in 4? I haven't played 4 yet but I wanted to play peacewalker since that's all I have left on the hd collection.

hello fellow metal gear gaffers.

just wondering if i buy the mgs hd collection on psn do i still get metal gear 1 and 2

also if i buy the collection can i download each game seperately or do i have to download the whole lot

thanks in advance

This is incredibly late but it should include MG1+2 since they're in the special features of MGS3 from what I understand.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
rofl

it's funny because it's true :(

God damn PW burnt me out hard on the franchise

Finding it hard to even replay MGS2, my favorite game in the series

namDa65

Hey GAF, is it just me, or I find MGS2 really hard to get into. I've only played MGS4, and I want to play the collection in order of release dates, but MGS2 is just so clunky.

rvy

Banned
Hey GAF, is it just me, or I find MGS2 really hard to get into. I've only played MGS4, and I want to play the collection in order of release dates, but MGS2 is just so clunky.

The fuck does "clunky" mean? MGS 2 is the MGS formula perfected.

braves01

Banned
The fuck does "clunky" mean? MGS 2 is the MGS formula perfected.

Truth. MGS4 plays way differently than 2 or 3, so it's going to take a little time to get used to the controls, but they aren't what I'd call clunky. Try some of the VR missions to get used to how everything handles.

Top Bottom