• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid - The Naked Sample 3DS [N-CONF]

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

StuBurns said:
Yes, autostereoscopic 3D is perfectly legitimate. It looks better than glasses 3D in fact, just costs a lot more.

Nintendo have not said what system they are using, however, it's almost certainly the parallax barrier system which Sharp really push. You can read about it in detail here:
http://sharp-world.com/corporate/info/rd/tj4/pdf/4.pdf
cheers, have to read about it i guess.
Hex said:
Google something.
The hows have been discussed to oblivion, just look around a little.
You will not get to see it until you get your hands on a 3DS since it does not come across well in video.
I did, in fact, read about it. It just people were saying this is the technology of 90s and wasn't anything new.

duckroll

bernardobri said:
Shinta Nojiri left KojiPro?! I need a source :/

He might have left KojiPro, we're not sure, but he didn't leave Konami. He's producing and working on game design for a new Konami game called NeverDead. It's an action shooter for PS3 and 360, developed by Rebellion.

StuBurns

Banned
He did disappear from KojiPro's staff list on the website ages ago. I guess his KojiPro game was canned so he left. I wish we'd got to see it. Maybe this is the same game loosely.

I'm really glad he's making another game, he's great. MG:GB is one of the best GBC games by far, if not the best.

Donnie

StuBurns said:
That just is not true at all.

For a start "twice as powerful" is a statement seriously lacking context. What is double? The RAM? The CPU? The GPU? The storage medium?

In truth, the footprint for 3D rendering in PC gaming is about an additional 50% on the GPU, sometimes more, sometimes less, there are plenty of tricks to get it down.

And even if it were the case that everything needed to be doubled, and it's not, so what?

Oh sorry did you want me to say 85.576% more powerful on a good day? :) I'm referring to the graphics hardware and ram, we are talking about graphics here, not physics or AI.

Also how do you propose creating two independent scene's per frame with only a 50% hit? If you've seen drops as low as 50% in performance for some PC games with 3D enabled then you're seeing a limitation in another area of that particular PC that's masking the extra work going on in the GPU (such as physics or AI processing). I'm sure there are tricks, but not enough to do double the work load with only 50% more processing power.

So what? So if someone's expecting a handheld to be as powerful as GC in this day and age they should consider that its impressive that its producing GC level graphics in 3D..

Resilient

Kad5 said:
Im not sure if this has anything to do with graphical power but the 3DS cartridges are supposed to be 2GB while UMD is about 1.8 GB.

So if that has anything to do with graphical capability the 3DS should be capable of better graphics than a PSP.

No.

Kad5 said:
Im not sure if this has anything to do with graphical power but the 3DS cartridges are supposed to be 2GB while UMD is about 1.8 GB.

So if that has anything to do with graphical capability the 3DS should be capable of better graphics than a PSP.
I hear that putting a bigger hard drive in your computer will make the graphics better.

Eteric Rice

lorddarkflare said:
Actually, it merely shows how far behind the DS truly was.

No, the DS was where it was supposed to be. The PSP went balls out at the time. Hence the high price when it released.

StuBurns

Banned
Donnie said:
Oh sorry did you want me to say 85.576% more powerful on a good day? :lol: Don't try to be pedantic. I'm referring to the graphics hardware and ram obviously, we are talking about graphics here, not physics or AI..

Also how on earth do you propose creating two independent scene's per frame with only a 50% hit? I suggest if you've seen drops as low as 50% in performance for some PC games with 3D enables that you're seeing a limitation in another area of that particular PC, such as physics or AI processing. I'm sure there are tricks, but not enough to do double the work load with only 50% more processing power.

So what? So if someone's expecting a handheld to be as powerful as GC in this day and age they should consider that its impressive that its producing GC level graphics in 3D..

I recommend you do some research before you post, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't think the 3DS is impressive, at all. I think it'll be awesome, but technologically, it's not even remotely impressive to me.

And this is seriously off-topic. If you want to discuss it, PM me or use an appropriate thread.

Donnie

StuBurns said:
I recommend you do some research before you post, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't think the 3DS is impressive, at all. I think it'll be awesome, but technologically, it's not even remotely impressive to me.

And this is seriously off-topic. If you want to discuss it, PM me or use an appropriate thread.

So why don't you give me a detailed retort and tell me. Apparently you know how to produce two seperate scenes per frame while only adding 50% more load onto the GPU?, I suggest you patent it

I didn't ask for this discussion by the way, nor do I care if you're impressed. I was only trying to say that it should be kept in mind, when looking at how impressive 3DS's hardware is, that its producing this stuff in 3D.

StuBurns

Banned
Donnie said:
So why don't you give me a detailed retort and tell me. Apparently you know how to produce two seperate scenes per frame while only adding 50% more load onto the GPU?, I suggest you patent it.
I don't know, however, I do know that it's a very well documented fact, and has been discussed at length ad nauseum on GAF and lots of other places. Google it.

Donnie said:
I didn't ask for this discussion by the way, nor do I care if you're impressed. I was only trying to say that it should be kept in mind, when looking at how impressive 3DS's hardware is, that its producing this stuff in 3D.
Do you know is most pointless about your comment and this debate overall? The GC produced 345,600 pixels per frame as appose to 192,000 per stereo frame on the 3DS. So even if it did take exactly double, and no tricks were used to cut down on performance demand, it still wouldn't even compete if it was par everywhere else.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Solo said:
This makes no sense. I dont own a PSP, nor any handheld, because they have never had the tech or the games that interest me. The 3DS has both. So while I will be buying one and MGS3D also, I dont need to buy a PSP and PW just because someone on the internet is upset that his handheld of choice is going become irrelevant in the next 2 years.

The 3DS?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Solo said:
These are stange fucking days.

- Im buying a handheld (I fucking hate handhelds)
- Im excited for MGS: Rising (despite HATING MGS4)
- Im excited for MGS3D (despite hating MGS3; I think MGS4's level of suck has retroactively made me appreciate MGS3)

Strange days indeed.

Are you me, bro?

Donnie

StuBurns said:
I don't know, however, I do know that it's a very well documented fact, and has been discussed at length ad nauseum on GAF and lots of other places. Google it.

It most likely comes from someone running a PC game with 3D enabled and only seeing a 50% drop in performance. That doesn't mean the GPU is only doing 50% more work. It only means that framerate is being limited elsewhere in the system, the GPU wasn't the limiting factor before so the extra load doesn't show fully.

StuBurns

Banned
Donnie said:
It most likely comes from someone running a PC game with 3D enabled and only seeing a 50% drop in performance. That doesn't mean the GPU is only doing 50% more work. It only means that framerate is being limited elsewhere in the system, the GPU wasn't the limiting factor before so the extra load doesn't show fully.
No, you're wrong, and clearly you're unwilling to research it, and still persist to drag the thread off-topic. So I'm adding you to my ignore list so I never have to bother with this again. Oh, and make sure to read my edit above, just so you know how moronic this all was.

Donnie

StuBurns said:
Do you know is most pointless about your comment and this debate overall? The GC produced 345,600 pixels per frame as appose to 192,000 per stereo frame on the 3DS. So even if it did take exactly double, and no tricks were used to cut down on performance demand, it still wouldn't even compete if it was par everywhere else.

You'd have a point here if pixel fillrate was the only important thing in games. How about the geometry and texturing?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Donnie said:
You'd have a point here if pixel fillrate was the only important thing in games. How about the geometry and texturing?
don't think he can see you anymore, yo

Donnie

StuBurns said:
No, you're wrong, and clearly you're unwilling to research it, and still persist to drag the thread off-topic. So I'm adding you to my ignore list so I never have to bother with this again. Oh, and make sure to read my edit above, just so you know how moronic this all was.

You want me to research something that you admit you don't understand yourself yet somehow you know I'm wrong about it? Maybe in future you won't try to look clever at the expense of someone who knows better. Glad you've added me to your ignore list, you obviously need the protection it affords.

Bye :)

StuBurns

Banned
Surgeon Rocket said:
don't think he can see you anymore, yo
I can when you quote it.

Pixel count was his argument for why it was "twice" as powerful to begin with. Moron.

I'm not dragging the thread off-topic anymore. I won't post again until it ever returns to MGS discussion, if it ever does.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
duckroll said:
He might have left KojiPro, we're not sure, but he didn't leave Konami. He's producing and working on game design for a new Konami game called NeverDead. It's an action shooter for PS3 and 360, developed by Rebellion.

Oh, cool I guess. I will keep an eye on NeverDead, looks fun.

Donnie

duckroll said:
He's right guys. The PS3 is clearly twice as powerful as the PS3, because Killzone 3 is in 3D.

Are you serious? :lol I just want to know before I even bother with this discussion again..

Donnie

StuBurns said:
I can when you quote it.

Pixel count was his argument for why it was "twice" as powerful to begin with. Moron.

I'm not dragging the thread off-topic anymore. I won't post again until it ever returns to MGS discussion, if it ever does.

No, stop making things up, the overall hit on the GPU was my argument. Pixel fillrate is only one part of the GPU's job, this is basic stuff here. Hopefully someone else quotes this so you can continue to not take things off topic :)

No seriously don't bother :)

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Kad5 said:

the cartridge sizes are better than i thought theyd be. how big were ds carts?

duckroll

Donnie said:
Are you serious? :lol I just want to know before I even bother with this discussion again..

I'm always serious. Are you ready to stop bothering with this discussion?

EmCeeGramr said:
128MB max at launch, 512MB currently.

The first 1024MB cart hits next week right? I think it's Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 3rd Story.

Branduil

StuBurns said:
Okay, that's true. But the brain interprets it as a single image of a specific quality. 800x240 is double the human perception of the image quality of the 3DS, hence saying that it is that is disingenuous.
How is saying the resolution of the 3DS is 800x240 disingenuous WHEN IT IS FACTUALLY TRUE? The number of pixels on the top 3DS screen is 800x240. Your eyes see a total of 800x240 pixels when playing it. The only thing disingenuous would be claiming it is half of that. I feel like I'm in the Monty Python argument skit.

Branduil said:
How is saying the resolution of the 3DS is 800x240 disingenuous WHEN IT IS FACTUALLY TRUE? The number of pixels on the top 3DS screen is 800x240. Your eyes see a total of 800x240 pixels when playing it. The only thing disingenuous would be claiming it is half of that. I feel like I'm in the Monty Python argument skit.

Do you also think it is accurate to describe KZ3 played on a 3D television as being a "120 fps game" despite the fact that in reality you are effectively perceiving a 60fps stream of images while playing it?

this is totally random, but what if they make the healing stuff like Trauma Center? that thought alone makes me even more excited for MGS3 on the 3DS.

ILikeFeet

Banned
since this is nothing more than a tech demo and not an actual product (according to Kojima), I wonder how a MGS would be like.

Linkzg said:
this is totally random, but what if they make the healing stuff like Trauma Center? that thought alone makes me even more excited for MGS3 on the 3DS.

Considering how easy it was to get injured, this would get old pretty quickly I would think.

Apath

..pakbeka.. said:
I'd rather see a ZoE 2 port for the 3ds than another metal gear, it would be amazing
I thought about that, but you would need the right stick considering how fast paced the game is. Not to mention all of that going on in your little 3DS screen might be overwhelming.

On the latest KP Report, they mentioned that this is not confirmed to be a full game, rather its just a tech demo to show what they can do with the 3DS. It may or may not come out, or they may make an entirely different game.

S1lent

infinityBCRT said:
On the latest KP Report, they mentioned that this is not confirmed to be a full game, rather its just a tech demo to show what they can do with the 3DS. It may or may not come out, or they may make an entirely different game.

You think they'd have made that more clear to begin with...

Luigiv

duckroll said:
I'm always serious. Are you ready to stop bothering with this discussion?

The first 1024MB cart hits next week right? I think it's Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 3rd Story.
Wait what? When the hell did the DS get a 1GB cart? I mean, we don't even have Ninokuni yet, which was suppose to be the first game to use a 512MB cart (at least it was when it was first announced :lol).

ombz said:
I thought cartridges were just proprietary flash cards.
Nope, Solid State ROM technology is completely different to flash.

Blablurn

infinityBCRT said:

wat :|

Gravijah

infinityBCRT said:

If it's anything like Peace Walker... NEW GAME PLEASE.

Gravijah said:
If it's anything like Peace Walker... NEW GAME PLEASE.

Agreed. As much as I love MGS3, I'd rather see a new game than see a classic ruined by removing the debriefing song. :\

However, I really think it's time to remake/reimagine MG1 and MG2. Just keep the basic plot and build everything else from the ground up. I really don't wanna just see 2.5D remakes of these games because both of them have aged pretty hard, and I'd like to see the story expanded on a bit
now that all the retcons are in place :p

ShinNL

StuBurns said:
You know, I've been reading this discussion between you two, but never ever say "Google it". I cringe everything I hear/read that, it's that annoying. I know a person in real life who always ends up saying "Google it" and thinking that proves his argument. Imagine saying that in court trying to prove your argument: Google it. See it from the other person's point-of-view: why the hell would I Google something to prove the other one's point?

So as it is, as far as I know, you pulled the 50% number out of your ass 'till you Google it yourself.

Okay, I typed my response above and scrolled further down. Saying you're going to ignore someone is even more annoying and pointless. That's basically a troll man.

As a side reader this discussion goes nowhere if people can't back up their claims (in this case both parties).

Edit:
StuBurns said:
You're wrong. And if I was trying to prove him wrong, I would have, I was trying to stop the subject going off-topic.
No you are. See what I did here?

PS. Duckroll, didn't games for PS3 had to lower their resolution for 3D so the amount of pixels were about the same? So technically the image quality is twice as bad.

StuBurns

Banned
Soneet said:
You know, I've been reading this discussion between you two, but never ever say "Google it". I cringe everything I hear/read that, it's that annoying. I know a person in real life who always ends up saying "Google it" and thinking that proves his argument. Imagine saying that in court trying to prove your argument: Google it. See it from the other person's point-of-view: why the hell would I Google something to prove the other one's point?

So as it is, as far as I know, you pulled the 50% number out of your ass 'till you Google it yourself.

Okay, I typed my response above and scrolled further down. Saying you're going to ignore someone is even more annoying and pointless. That's basically a troll man.

As a side reader this discussion goes nowhere if people can't back up their claims (in this case both parties).

PS. Duckroll, didn't games for PS3 had to lower their resolution for 3D so the amount of pixels were about the same? So technically the image quality is twice as bad.
You're wrong. And if I was trying to prove him wrong, I would have, I was trying to stop the subject going off-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom