• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid - The Naked Sample 3DS [N-CONF]

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
Darklord said:
The third title in the series is a stand alone? What? I thought it was like some flashback thing like a prequel.
Well, it is a prequel in that it happens first, but because it happens first it doesn't need you to have played any of the others. MGS2 for example is meaningless if you haven't played MGS1. Literally, it the whole game is based on the premise you've played the first one. MGS1 is a PS1 game, so wouldn't look great.

I think Snake Eater is a genius choice.

C-Jo

dallow_bg said:
You move the system now, that's the second analog. Yay for accelerometers and gyroscopes.
Tilt + 3D seems like an unnecessarily awkward situation. Hopefully they just let you use the Peace Walker shooter method.

tzare

dallow_bg said:
Why didn't Kid Icarus look this good?

You move the system now, that's the second analog. Yay for accelerometers and gyroscopes.

i don't know how that is a good and precise thing on a portable system. You have to look at the screen to see the 3d effect but at the same time move the system? i do not see it. I may be wrong, but sometimes what already works is fine. They could've added a second analog there.

Having the same controls as PW is fine, but being a new console and seeing how a second analog was needed for PSP i see this as a bad decision.

I'd expect a trailer tomorrow at Konami's conference, unless it's REALLY far off. You can see Big Boss in gameplay with the health/stamina bar and the threat ring from MGS4 added, so it has to be in some playable form already.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Oh I agree with you guys, wish there was a second analog slider.

I mentioned the tilt controls because in the Iwata Asks video, they mention that exact same control setup for first person shooters.

Tilt to look/aim.
Although he wasn't actually tilting, he was physically moving it, keeping his eyes right on the screen and moving with it.

So like, hold it above you to look up, hold it below you to look down, etc.

tzare

dallow_bg said:
Oh I agree with you guys, wish there was a second analog slider.

I mentioned the tilt controls because in the Iwata Asks video, they mention that exact same control setup for first person shooters.

Tilt to look/aim.
Although he wasn't actually tilting, he was physically moving it, keeping his eyes right on the screen and moving with it.

So like, hold it above you to look up, hold it below you to look down, etc.
probably tilt + exterrnal camera to be more precise. It is too early to judge, i hope it works well, i don't want a second powerful portable system unable to give me a similar gameplay experience as home consoles.

Feels like the constrictor around GAF's throat is finally lifting. This looks unbelievably good for a handheld. I'm buying this system day one, and I've never really been a handheld owner.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
spwolf said:
i like where is this going, job well done Nintendo! Who can say anything about 3rd party now?

3rd party missed the Wii train and got in late on the DS one. They arent making the same mistake again. :lol

The only thing i need now is a release date.

I'd say analog stick + touch screen is a decent alternative to dual analogs. Hopefully Nintendo ship it with one of those thumb straps again or it uses a capacitive touchscren.

Chinner

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
I'd expect a trailer tomorrow at Konami's conference, unless it's REALLY far off. You can see Big Boss in gameplay with the health/stamina bar and the threat ring from MGS4 added, so it has to be in some playable form already.
maybe we can splooge together?

Darklord said:
The third title in the series is a stand alone? What? I thought it was like some flashback thing like a prequel.

It does tie in with the other games, but I'm guessing his point is that the you don't have to know anything about them in order to understand the story in MGS3.

EmCeeGramr said:
pic_01_ksd.jpg

pic_02_osl.jpg

pic_03_juf.jpg

pic_04_ksu.jpg

pic_05_qwe.jpg

pic_10_mbv.jpg

pic_09_dcv.jpg

pic_08_ujn.jpg

pic_07_nut.jpg

pic_06_gfh.jpg

holy shit this looks real time
looks better than Peace Walker and apparently has better facial animation and real time cut-scenes unlike the MGS games on the PSP.

anyway, DAY 1.

entrement said:
Peace Walker is not a console port.

However, I trust KojiPro. I'm sure this will be fantastic.
Peace walker runs on a port of the MGS3 engine and has pretty similar gameplay... and I'd argue the controls are better than MGS3.

Tomasooie

Too much bloom.

But it's incredible for a handheld -- I would say it surpasses PS2-level graphics in most areas, all while outputting in 3D. Fantastic.

Chinner

Banned
'the naked sample' tagline worries me. i hope it just refers to the media konami is offering, if not it sounds like it'll just be a condensed version of mgs3, and graphics or not that would suck.

ArjanN

Chinner said:
'the naked sample' tagline worries me. i hope it just refers to the media konami is offering, if not it sounds like it'll just be a condensed version of mgs3, and graphics or not that would suck.

I actually think this might only be a tech demo. And not a full game at all.

duckroll

Naked Sample refers to the tech demo at the showfloor, yes. The game itself is Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D. Hopefully there will be more information at the Konami conference tomorrow that clears stuff up, but I'm fairly certain it is a real game. Kojima just tweeted that he is indeed directing it.

duckroll said:
Naked Sample refers to the tech demo at the showfloor, yes. The game itself is Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D. Hopefully there will be more information at the Konami conference tomorrow that clears stuff up, but I'm fairly certain it is a real game. Kojima just tweeted that he is indeed directing it.
oh god, yesssssss! :D

bridegur

Are those screens representative of what the 3DS can do in an actual game? They look better than anything I've seen on the Wii.

duckroll said:

Awesome!

duckroll

bridegur said:
Are those screens representative of what the 3DS can do in an actual game? They look better than anything I've seen on the Wii.

It's not just screens. There's cam footage floating around of the tech demo on the showfloor. It pretty much looks like that, and you can move camera to tilt it, playing with the "3D" effect. It's not actually playable though.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
duckroll said:

Awesome.

Enkidu

Chinner said:
theres a debate about that. does it mean gigabytes or gigbites or some other shit.
It would be silly if the largest card available was 2 Gbit since there are already DS games coming out that are bigger than that.

infinityBCRT said:
Peace walker runs on a port of the MGS3 engine and has pretty similar gameplay... and I'd argue the controls are better than MGS3.

are you kidding me? the game is awesome but the psp makes the controls really frustrating....

jett

D-Member
duckroll said:

That guy just can't let go of Big Boss / MGS3, can he? :p

Boney

Banned
duckroll said:
WIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom