• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I honestly don't even care much about the graphics as long as: there's not very noticeable pop-in, the framerate is at least 30, and no tearing. I will make any IQ trade for that. All day, every day.

I'm most excited for this game, just finally to see good gameplay animation. Have always hated how Snake/Big Boss had such amazing animation in the cutscences, but then when it was finally your turn to drive them, they were... gross.

I want this game for PC so badly. And I own a PS3, it's just that I think my PC could do the graphics much more justice.

As for the theme, how about LIFE.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I most excited for this game, just finally to see good gameplay animation. Have always hated how Snake/Big Boss had such amazing animation in the cutscenes, but they when it was finally your turn to drive them, they were... gross.

Oh, I do agree heavily with this. I was astounded by the smooth transitions to prone during the reveal last year, compared to the swift but awkward move to prone of previous Metal Gear Solids. And Big Boss being able to legitimately run is an exciting prospect. When you needed to hurry, and sound wasn't a big factor, MGS top speed looked and felt very restrained.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Oh, I do agree heavily with this. I was astounded by the smooth transitions to prone during the reveal last year, compared to the swift but awkward move to prone of previous Metal Gear Solids. And Big Boss being able to legitimately run is an exciting prospect. When you needed to hurry, and sound wasn't a big factor, MGS top speed looked and felt very restrained.

Yikes... I need to start proofreading my shit before hitting submit. I'm such a bad typer haha.

Anyway, yes, I agree. I was shocked to see those transitions and such smooth movement in a MG game.

Acorn

So is this likely out this year? Or would it be one of first big franchises to come out after the generation has 'ended'

Toparaman

Banned
From the trailers, it looks like MGS V is going to have the most vivid colors of the series. MGS games have always looked dull, so I'm looking forward to that.

Solidino

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en

Theme of PW was PEACE. Paz/Kazu (both means peace) starred & was about deterrence as one of the method of keep peace in human society.

The ending of PW was he/she's chosen deterrence in order to keep his/her mother-base. Theme of V is "???e". 2 characters in Kanji.

PW was about deterrence, & peace as theme. Story of MGS3 was about Cold War, &SCENE as theme. In MGSV will be about "??" & "???e" as theme.

duckroll

We/Us - Home

ID - Ruse

The ?? is a two character Japanese word, the theme is a 4-letter English word. They aren't the same thing either. As an example, he said that Peace Walker has Peace as a theme and its about deterrence (&#25233;&#27490;&#21147;), while MGS3 had Scene as a theme and its about the cold war (&#20919;&#25126;). Similarly, MGS5 will have "???e" as a theme, and will also be about <something else> (??). Since there are countless possible words which use two character combinations in Japanese, there's no point trying to guess it at all. :p

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Kojima posted a photo on his Twitter of preparations for the show, and he wrote that adjustments to the lighting are still being made.

BL1jpvoCEAAyaEJ.jpg:large

What if the word of the MGSV theme is in japanise this time but written with abcd letters ?

What if is an japanise acronym ?

If some possibly answers like Life, Hate, Rise, Home, Vice ecc are written in japanise instead of english how many of them could be displayed in 4 letters with "e" as the last one ?

C'mon "Japanise Gaffers" i/we need your help!

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en

Theme of PW was PEACE. Paz/Kazu (both means peace) starred & was about deterrence as one of the method of keep peace in human society.

The ending of PW was he/she's chosen deterrence in order to keep his/her mother-base. Theme of V is "???e". 2 characters in Kanji.

PW was about deterrence, & peace as theme. Story of MGS3 was about Cold War, &SCENE as theme. In MGSV will be about "??" & "???e" as theme.

The ?? is a two character Japanese word, the theme is a 4-letter English word. They aren't the same thing either. As an example, he said that Peace Walker has Peace as a theme and its about deterrence (&#25233;&#27490;&#21147;), while MGS3 had Scene as a theme and its about the cold war (&#20919;&#25126;). Similarly, MGS5 will have "???e" as a theme, and will also be about <something else> (??). Since there are countless possible words which use two character combinations in Japanese, there's no point trying to guess it at all. :p
What if the 4 letter theme are in japanise and not in english as Kojima said ?

???e = Ogre

Could be but i guess Hideo will never confirm on twitter if is that one or if anyone of the other possibly answers are the right one: just don't let Kojima, a.k.a the "Ninjatto" ("Ninjacat" in italian lol), fool you Gaffers but keep going on that way and maybe you'll find the answer before Konami pre E3 Show!

Kojima posted a photo on his Twitter of preparations for the show, and he wrote that adjustments to the lighting are still being made.

BL1jpvoCEAAyaEJ.jpg:large

I dont remember if that picture came from the Ground Zeroes trailer released in 2012 or not: btw looking close on the monitor to the righ there's a possibly female char covered by the window or am i wrong ?

No he confirmed the "???e" word is a 4 letter English word ending with e. :p

Maybe that's exactly what Hideo want people think about the theme's word and his today's tweets could also be a try/trap with the goal to avoid attention from the truth behind the enigma... truth that could be already answered by someone...

Jb

I wonder if Konami having its press conference well in advance of the MS/Sony stuff means MGS5 won't show up during either of those confs. Or maybe have a trailer on the 6th and a next gen on stage demo the following week?

Salaadin

I wonder if Konami having its press conference well in advance of the MS/Sony stuff means MGS5 won't show up during either of those confs. Or maybe have a trailer on the 6th and a next gen on stage demo the following week?

I wouldnt be surprised if we get a new trailer at Konamis conference and then Kojima makes an appearance at either Sony or MSs conference to re-show the trailer and announce a next gen version. Just my guess.

duckroll

I wouldnt be surprised if we get a new trailer at Konamis conference and then Kojima makes an appearance at either Sony or MSs conference to re-show the trailer and announce a next gen version. Just my guess.

Or a trailer and interview at the Konami conference this week, and an on stage gameplay demo at one of the conferences next week.

i know.
it's....

FIVE

Eh.

Or a trailer and interview at the Konami conference this week, and an on stage gameplay demo at one of the conferences next week.

Why don't ask "him" (is THAT him !?) directly ? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=141165

Salaadin

That too.
MGS always seems to have a presence at the big conferences and Sony/MSs are going to have much more press behind them than Konamis own conference so I can imagine Konami wanting to show off the game there as well.

ibzUcBLTIokHg3.gif

No way this is running on current gen consoles. Is Kojima trolling us by making us think this will be on current gen consoles?

Its confirmed to be running on a PC with current gen specs. Kojima implied in an interview it it will look different on the actual consoles but we have yet to see any footage to judge for ourselves.

Knowing nothing about game development, my logic tells me that since theyre already showing it off on PC, just release a PC version. And since the XBO and PS4 hardware is so close to a PC, just port it. They dont even have to add in any fancy graphics. Just get the game running as smoothly as it does in the footage we have so far.

But in reality, I dont know how difficult this stuff is so...yeah.

That too.
MGS always seems to have a presence at the big conferences and Sony/MSs are going to have much more press behind them than Konamis own conference so I can imagine Konami wanting to show off the game there as well.

Its confirmed to be running on a PC with current gen specs. Kojima implied in an interview it it will look different on the actual consoles but we have yet to see any footage to judge for ourselves.

Knowing nothing about game development, my logic tells me that since theyre already showing it off on PC, just release a PC version. And since the XBO and PS4 hardware is so close to a PC, just port it. They dont even have to add in any fancy graphics. Just get the game running as smoothly as it does in the footage we have so far.

But in reality, I dont know how difficult this stuff is so...yeah.

Maybe they should develop it for PS4, Xbone and PC, and just port it to current gen consoles.

Izick

I'm pretty sure it'll be on PS4/Xbox One as well. If it was running on a PC when they demoed it...well, I'll just wait and see, but I think it'll arrive on the next-gen platforms.

Buntabox

Maybe they should develop it for PS4, Xbone and PC, and just port it to current gen consoles.

KojiPro developed the FOX engine to make it easily to scale. I don't think there should be any problem with it running on PS4/Xbone/PC. I'd be surprised if it didn't get a PS4/Xbone release. PC seems to be another story with them. They are so weird about them. We haven't seen an MGS game on PC since MGS2. And Rising is just now headed towards PC.

After seeing Kojima in the intro of the Xbone Reveal, I am pretty sure, that he will show up in the Microsoft conference.

I wouldn't read too much into that video. Cliffy B was in the video too, and he's not working on anything yet. Microsoft just needed... someone from Japan in it.

Batzi

Banned
ibzUcBLTIokHg3.gif

No way this is running on current gen consoles. Is Kojima trolling us by making us think this will be on current gen consoles?

I thought about it and the fact Kojima stated that the games(GZ & TPP) might be separately distributed had be wonder if at least one of them would be on next-gen while the other(GZ most likely) will be on current gen consoles. If they are indeed being separately released then I see TPP being released 4 to 6 months after GZ, which means that the next-gen consoles would have been already out. If they are being released together then either both of them are on current-gen or both are on next-gen.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I thought about it and the fact Kojima stated that the games(GZ & TPP) might be separately distributed had be wonder if at least one of them would be on next-gen while the other(GZ most likely) will be on current gen consoles. If they are indeed being separately released then I see TPP being released 4 to 6 months after GZ, which means that the next-gen consoles would have been already out. If they are being released together then either both of them are on current-gen or both are on next-gen.

I'm having a hard time believing this is on current gen.

ib2dge83MMs250.gif

RK9039

Tiny GIFs are always terrible ways to show a game, as you have no reference for IQ.

Metal-gear-solid-5-12.jpg

It's not an amazing looking game.

Is that a screenshot of the trailer?

I think it looks pretty decent in motion, especially the hospital gameplay demo they showed off.

Batzi

Banned
It's not an amazing looking game.
you guys are probably forgetting that it is open world? There are many challenges when designing open world games. Creating beautiful graphics and animations while maintaining a decent frame rate is one major challenge in open world games. There is a reason why GTA games don't look like Gran Turismo or Beyond: Two Souls. Ask yourself this question, why would a game like GT or Beyond would look beautiful and detailed while a game like GTA wouldn't look as detailed? Exactly. Kojima Productions are doing wonders here..appreciate that instead of whining about the god damn graphics.

RK9039

Can anyone make out what they're showing in that frame from the video in the the latest Twitter pic?

Not sure what's happening but it's probably taking place in Camp Omega during the day. They might show a scenario both at night and during day time.

Top Bottom