• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

malfcn

Haven't played in forever and decided I wanted to do some S ranks.

Intel Op Rescue..got my S on the first try. I remember having so much trouble with this mission before for some reason. I was feeling myself with almost every shot.

10:44:143

1 kill and no retries, for a total of 24245

Not entirely sure where the 1 kill came from.
But I knew I was good when Hideo himself said, "That was perfect."

Now if I can figure out some good routes or tactics for the AA guns.

Palpable

Haven't played in forever and decided I wanted to do some S ranks.

Intel Op Rescue..got my S on the first try. I remember having so much trouble with this mission before for some reason. I was feeling myself with almost every shot.

10:44:143

1 kill and no retries, for a total of 24245

Not entirely sure where the 1 kill came from.
But I knew I was good when Hideo himself said, "That was perfect."

Now if I can figure out some good routes or tactics for the AA guns.

Skip to 51:00 of this video. I played the AA gun mission last night and that's my S rank route (along with rescuing all POW's. Hope it helps.

malfcn

Worked for Normal, but having a bitch of a time on Hard. First time I got an A because I skipped the special prisoner. Now every time I do it, someone spots me through a wall or some cheap way.

Nizz

I just got this game about two weeks ago and I just wanted to put in my two cents. I was waiting for a sale on it but I never saw one so I decided to get it anyway with some birthday money I got.

I'm so glad I did because I'm having so much fun with the game. I think it's the best playing Metal Gear game yet. I'm using the "shooter a" layout and everything is so smooth. The graphics are really good. Playing at 60fps is such a blessing. 😀

I remember all the talk of how this game was too short for the price but had I listened I would have missed out way longer than I already have. I replayed the main mission twice now and going through all the side ops now. I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

This game also has me really excited for The Phantom Pain too. Man, if only they would remaster MGS4 with this new engine and mechanics. :0

So yeah, so glad I got this.

Palpable

I just got this game about two weeks ago and I just wanted to put in my two cents. I was waiting for a sale on it but I never saw one so I decided to get it anyway with some birthday money I got.

I'm so glad I did because I'm having so much fun with the game. I think it's the best playing Metal Gear game yet. I'm using the "shooter a" layout and everything is so smooth. The graphics are really good. Playing at 60fps is such a blessing. 😀

I remember all the talk of how this game was too short for the price but had I listened I would have missed out way longer than I already have. I replayed the main mission twice now and going through all the side ops now. I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

This game also has me really excited for The Phantom Pain too. Man, if only they would remaster MGS4 with this new engine and mechanics. :0

So yeah, so glad I got this.

I'm glad you're glad. It's a fantastic game. The amount of routes you can take to complete your objective in the missions, especially GZ, is awesome. It never gets old.

Guys I'm really in love with this game. The controls man, the controls ... they're almost too good! The problem now is I'm in full-blown hype mode for Phantom Pain and the wait fucking sucks. I want more environments and more story! Fuck!

Palpable

Guys I'm really in love with this game. The controls man, the controls ... they're almost too good! The problem now is I'm in full-blown hype mode for Phantom Pain and the wait fucking sucks. I want more environments and more story! Fuck!

The wait is goddamn annoying, isn't it. :/

mbmonk

100% Agreed. I am glad Destiny is coming out soon to temporarily fill the gap. But TTP is by far the #1 game I am looking forward to. The wait is going to be brutal...

J-Roderton

Hell, at this point I could probably play through the main mission several more times before TPP comes out. Trying to squeeze out everything I can with this one. Love it.

Rolling is still a pain though.

Yes it is. I did it by accident just mashing buttons. I guess I should just look at a tutorial.

Porcile

I finally got to play through this the other day. Stealth gameplay was really really slick, amazing even, but I'm not so keen on open world mission structure and objectives, so I'm doubtful of my full enjoyment of The Phantom Pain.

I haven't followed anything about The Phantom Pain whatsoever, please tell my Snake speaks a bit more in the final game, he's like Link in GZ. Keifer must be expensive!

Palpable

I finally got to play through this the other day. Stealth gameplay was really really slick, amazing even, but I'm not so keen on open world mission structure and objectives, so I'm doubtful of my full enjoyment of The Phantom Pain.

I haven't followed anything about The Phantom Pain whatsoever, please tell my Snake speaks a bit more in the final game, he's like Link in GZ. Keifer must be expensive!

It has nothing to do with Kiefer. Big Boss's lines were already written prior to them asking Kiefer.

if you count the briefing tapes...kiefer has plenty of lines. side ops shouldn't really count anyway....did hayter do much side op voice work at all for peace walker? the only mission i could think of is the monster hunter cut-scene

Palpable

if you count the briefing tapes...kiefer has plenty of lines. side ops shouldn't really count anyway....did hayter do much side op voice work at all for peace walker? the only mission i could think of is the monster hunter cut-scene

He also did some for the side op where you play as an MSF soldier holding back waves of soldiers while Boss fights Peace Walker.

Rolling is still a pain though.

lol ...

And yeah they (controls) are not perfect; I hate how you have to stand up before it will let you drop down a level of geometry if you know what I mean, and I can think of a couple more gripes; but the transitions between the various movement speeds and postures are goddamn intoxicating - best ever in my experience. You know a game's doing something right when just moving around is satisfying. And the sound design is also fabulous: using the binoculars in particular totally tickles my ASMR.

Palpable

lol ...

And yeah they (controls) are not perfect; I hate how you have to stand up before it will let you drop down a level of geometry if you know what I mean, and I can think of a couple more gripes; but the transitions between the various movement speeds and postures are goddamn intoxicating - best ever in my experience. You know a game's doing something right when just moving around is satisfying. And the sound design is also fabulous: using the binoculars in particular totally tickles my ASMR.

My one complaint about the transition from movement/stance animations is that you can go into crouch or crawl from sprinting. Try sprinting and then go into a crawl or crouch walk like Big Boss does. Good luck not face planting.

Aside from that, the animations in GZ are top.

the big issue for me has always been the prone to crouch movements when you contact something. like if you're trying to enter a vent hole, if you miss just a little bit and touch the adjacent wall, you are forced into a crouch. that's probably the number 1 reason i accidently get seen by a guard

I'm guessing he was standing up because you pressed the button for him to do so lol. All you had to do was restart at the checkpoint and you could've gotten an S rank.

I take it you didn't watch the entire video lol.

And after I watched I realized that I stood up and forgot to duck before I called the chopper like an idiot.

Palpable

I take it you didn't watch the entire video lol.

And after I watched I realized that I stood up and forgot to duck before I called the chopper like an idiot.

I saw up to the point you got spotted and freaked out. I believed the title of the video. That was my fault.

grimmiq

Played through the main mission and all but the deja vu mission when Ground Zeroes was released(A's and B's)..finally going back and aiming for S-ranks, just have main mission, AA guns and unlocking/S-ranking Deja vu to go.

Forgot how great this looks on PS4.

Bought a PS4 last week and got Ground Zeroes last friday. Damn it looks good, and it plays good. It made me all hyped up for MGSVTPP. I would've bought it anyway but this "demo" sold me completely.

Only problem, we have to wait to play the next chapter =(

The Phantom Pain livestream made me wanna dive into GZ again but I need help. I played through the story mission and enjoyed it. I want to try for the other objectives like destroying the AA guns and such, but I find that I have to interrogate soldiers for the objective and secure C4 etc. My problem is that once I do that, I often get killed and lose all my progress. Is there a better way to hit save points? Am I doing something wrong?

Minamu

Are they marked on the map?
No you gotta learn where they are. If you die a lot, the best thing to do is just keep practicing I suppose. One checkpoint I always hit, especially during the AA mission is straight forward from the starting point, up the grassy hill to the helipads. If you die from getting spotted I think you might be playing the game wrong :/ You're supposed to run away and hide you know ;) Or just tranq the soldier in the head before he triggers the big alarm.

Picked it up on the EU PSN sale. Finished in 70 minutes with a death.

I really think it could have used a boss or a more climactic gameplay sequence at the end. Like that final cutscene was a gameplay sequence where you have to
help get Miller off a burning mother base.

Now to do the extra ops.

Palpable

Picked it up on the EU PSN sale. Finished in 70 minutes with a death.

I really think it could have used a boss or a more climactic gameplay sequence at the end. Like you play that final cutscene was gameplay and you had to
help get Miller off a burning mother base.

Now to do the extra ops.

I thought the final cutscene played out pretty cool/cinematically. That's something gameplay couldn't do like a cutscene could. Only gripe I have is how when the camera turns towards the helicopter and then back to the attacking soldiers, people keep disappearing with each camera pan.
As in, MSF soldiers running towards the heli tend to disappear after the camera turns back, and the XOF guys charging at Big Boss all disappear after he hops on the heli.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I just started this the other day. Was originally going to purchase a PS4 when TPP released and get GZ at the same time but a local deal with a 20% discount saw that plan change. Loving the way it plays, plays a lot closer to a Splinter Cell game than a traditional MGS game, and that's a good thing. Haven't finished the main objective yet although I have rescued Paz. Ran out of tranquilizer rounds when I found Chicos location so having a bit of a problem now. Not a fan of Sutherlands voice though, didn't even know it was Kaz and Snake talking during the intro scene.

Great game so far regardless of the fact it's supposed to be short. Great introduction to what to expect with The Phantom Pain.

#teamhayter

Minamu

I've been bugging my girlfriend to try this since forever now. And last night it finally happened! Although she is not much of a story person and she sucks at paying attention to tutorials, I expected extensive hilarity due to her ability to immerse herself in whatever it is she plays. And she scares easily :lol It didn't take long for her to start screaming as if it was another horror game. While trying to figure out how to crawl and move around, she noticed how she still dislikes non-inverted camera controls which screwed her up royally as she got spotted by the very first spotlight. Not understanding that this was a sneaking mission, she had screamed and killed about 10 soldiers before even thinking of hiding inside the first guardtower! Very intense experience trying to tag soldiers while they searched for her. Thanks to some dumb jeep driver AI, she managed to finally sneak out the fence door and headed toward the second guard tower, tagging the guys at the helipad in the north. Luckily, I could hear the truck coming so I told her to hide. She snuck her way to the guard by the road down to Chico but never fully grasped that the crawl button is the same as crouch and that the white outline on screen means someone is looking in her direction. Thus, all hell broke loose and with the whole base on her tail, she got shot to death with Chico watching :lol

Hopefully there will be an episode 2 shortly. I did notice something dumb though. With inverted controls, camera movement in first person is also inverted. Why would Kojima do something like that? :/ That confused my girlfriend even more, so much so that she had to force herself to play with normal controls, which was really rough for her, and led to her untimely death.

Minamu

Why wouldn't the first person controls also be inverted? She plays inverted in third person but not in first?
Moving the right stick to the right to make your "head" turn left makes even less sense than inverted controls do to begin with imho :) At least there's a fairly logical reasoning behind regular inverted controls and flight sim style controls (as in you're moving the camera itself to the right, therefore you turn the stick to the right). That argument doesn't work for turning your head around its own center position compared to the orbital rotation of the third person camera.

i thought you could select third and first person inversion separately
If you can, that'd be excellent, but I couldn't see anything like that with a quick glance at least :/

-Deimos

Moving the right stick to the right to make your "head" turn left makes even less sense than inverted controls do to begin with imho :) At least there's a fairly logical reasoning behind regular inverted controls and flight sim style controls (as in you're moving the camera itself to the right, therefore you turn the stick to the right). That argument doesn't work for turning your head around its own center position compared to the orbital rotation of the third person camera.

If you can, that'd be excellent, but I couldn't see anything like that with a quick glance at least :/
Now I'm even more confused. Almost everyone I know, including myself, play inverted. Only the vertical position is inverted, so left turns left and down turns up. It's the same in first person and third. We actually learned it this way from playing FPS games, specifically GoldenEye.

Anyway, most games allow you to manage the controls for first and third person separately. I know MGS4 did at least.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Put a lot time into this over the weekend trying for S ranks. Very surprised how easily I got an S for the destruction of the Anti-aircraft guns, didn't even rescue all the hostages. Three S ranks down, three to go.

Top Bottom