• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V (PS3/360/PS4/XBO/Maybe PC) - Extended 9 minute E3 trailer

Izick

Found this EXTREMELY interesting:

HowardSkullface-1.jpg

Adventure fantastic said:
And it may well be that last ingredient which has made it less popular; I don't know. There is certainly a great deal said about RACE in the story, from more than one point of view. And Skull-Face, or The Master, or The Scorpion as he's also known, doesn't fit the traditional Yellow Peril mold completely. For one thing, Skull-Face isn't actually an oriental, but beyond that I'm not going to spoil the fun.

http://adventuresfantastic.blogspot.com/2010/11/long-looks-at-short-fiction-skull-face.html

Wikipedia said:
Skull-Face is a story written by Robert E. Howard, which appeared as a serial in Weird Tales magazine, beginning in October 1929, and ending in December, 1929.[1] The story stars a character called Steve Costigan but this is not Howard's recurring character, Sailor Steve Costigan.

Wikipedia said:
The story begins with Steve Costigan drearily waking in Yu Shantu's Temple of Dreams, a hashish den in the city of London, England. He has been re-occurring dreams of something he calls "Skull Face", and is puzzled about their meanings. He is broke, and in need of more hashish, the drug he is addicted to. When confronted by the doorman, Hassim, Costigan informs him of his lack of funds. Hassim promptly throws him out through the front door to the den. Bruised and bleeding, Costigan is helped to his feet by a young woman, Zulieka.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull-Face

I can't get over the lighting. It's just so real looking.

And dat animation.

As long as it doesn't get stuck up its own ass too much, this is going to be fucking awesome.

Just curious, what other stuff has Kojima retconned in the series?

A lot. Stuff like Snake knowing that Big Boss was his father before he killed him, Liquid's arm, Big Boss' age (he was said to be in his late 50s when they cloned him, it was changed to late 30s), etc.

You mean over the darker tone?

We can all the way back to the original to rape allusions.

Ocelot "had his fun" with Meryl after Snake and her are captured. I'm not saying it happened. I'm saying it might have.

Well I imagine you wouldn't skip being a child, you'd just go through it at a rapid rate.

Liquid has already had ties with the middle east before. It can't be Raiden because he was a child soldier in Liberia.

It's brought up first in MGS1.

Grey Fox: "You look terrible Snake."

I think that last part was more of a reference to how Snake's experiences in Outer Heaven and Zanzibar had fucked him up, and caused him to age badly. I don't think Kojima had considered the whole accelerated aging aspect at that point.

RangerBAD

Izick, don't stretch too far. You might rip it off. There's also the Skull Man who is the prototype of the Kamen Rider manga and was an early example of an anti-hero in manga. He killed the bad guys out of vengeance.

Izick

Izick, don't stretch too far. You might rip it off. There's also the Skull Man who is the prototype of the Kamen Rider manga and was an early example of an anti-hero in manga. He killed the bad guys out of vengeance.

You didn't read this part, did you:

And it may well be that last ingredient which has made it less popular; I don't know. There is certainly a great deal said about RACE in the story, from more than one point of view. And Skull-Face, or The Master, or The Scorpion as he's also known, doesn't fit the traditional Yellow Peril mold completely. For one thing, Skull-Face isn't actually an oriental, but beyond that I'm not going to spoil the fun.

The book seems to have had racial tinges to it, in particular racial issues dealing with Asians. There is no way this is a coincidence knowing Kojima.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Goddamnit we need more MGSV art from the master himself yoji shinkawa!

It's been a while...

RangerBAD

You didn't read this part, did you:

The book seems to have had racial tinges to it, in particular racial issues dealing with Asians. There is no way this is a coincidence knowing Kojima.

I read it, but I don't think it's connected. Not trying to antagonize you or anything.

Cartman86

Banned
Really hyped for this game, but you have a female character who's power has been taken from her and presumably the game will have her taking it back which his cool, but you put her in a bikini top? Hmmm.

Izick

I read it, but I don't think it's connected.

You don't think two stories with characters both named "SKULL FACE" that deal with racial issues are connected in some way? I'm not saying they're literally connected as in story, I'm just saying there's a clear inspiration and possibly hint here.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Really hyped for this game, but you have a female character who's power has been taken from her and presumably the game will have her taking it back which his cool, but you put her in a bikini top? Hmmm.

Well considering she's related to Sniper Wolf in some capacity, if only thematically, her boobs are essential to the plot as far as I'm concerned.

DrBo42

Nothing wrong with letting them breathe.

This is MGS. What woman in the series isn't showing cleavage besides Mei Ling and Sunny?

It's brought up first in MGS1.

Grey Fox: "You look terrible Snake."

I don't think Kojima really thought too hard about the Snakes' ageing until MGS4 rolled around. The idea in MGS1 was that Solid and Liquid would look a little older than regular 30-somethings because they were cloned using cells from a man in his fifties.

As it stands now, I believe the intent is that the two Snakes would have aged normally until their early forties, at which points their bodies would just pack up, due to artificial constraints engineered into them. Naomi mentions Snake's telomeres were intentionally shortened in MGS4. Snake looking "terrible" in MGS1 is just down to him being a veteran soldier.

RangerBAD

You don't think two stories with characters both named "SKULL FACE" that deal with racial issues are connected in some way? I'm not saying they're literally connected as in story, I'm just saying there's a clear inspiration and possibly hint here.

I guess I can give you that, but it's just as possible he read Skull Man too. :B Might be a hint or just might have liked the name (if he's even come in contact with the book).

You really don't want to force the guy into putting a theme into it, do you? I mean, I love the true MGS theme with all my hear and soul but at the end of the day it's his vision.

His "vision" includes a stupid fucking horn, screw his vision. :p

Besides, the MGS Theme was only used once (to great effect) in MGS3, something like that is all I want.

Sub_Level

His "vision" includes a stupid fucking horn, screw his vision. :p

Besides, the MGS Theme was only used once (to great effect) in MGS3, something like that is all I want.

The MGS theme playing while Solidus reaches up to the statue of George Washington is used to great effect, I'd say.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
This is just too good. Too good. I don't how many times i've fantasized about exactly this game. This right here is gonna eat up weeks of my life easy.

Everything from the sounds to the pitch perfect look to the music ... holy hell ... crazy anticipation going on here.

Just fantastic. Winning all day.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Finally we get to play as Big Boss making Outer Heaven. Or at least a step towards it.

The landscapes look quite amazing, I want to see some HD screens of that:)

edit: Oh and I was right about Skullface? I always thought he looked more like a zombie than a burned person. Looks like that might be what he is.

One thing I wonder, all the rubble, I wonder what happens when you walk on it? Animations have never been MGS' forte, so I wonder what it looks like if you prone or walk on all those debris. I hope it's not just fluff for the trailers that it will be removed later.

Wow, the first few minutes of that trailer made me feel really uneasy. I don't know that I've ever been able to say that about a video game trailer... or video game.

Sub_Level

The original Punished Snake

9022590810_844a3f873c_z.jpg

although in MGS4 Solid Snake is Cain whereas Big Boss in Phantom Pain plays the role of the original Garden of Eden Snake (as pointed out by another poster earlier in this thread)

Batzi

Banned
That trailer was NOT running on next-gen consoles. That was either PS3 or something close to it. This means that Kojima Productions did a VERY good job and that the FOX Engine rocks!

Izick

I have one more correlation. I'm trying to find out about something, so it'll take a couple minutes.

I know this stuff might not be real correlation, but a lot of it is just too weird of a coincidence for me. I at least have to share it with other MGS fans.

That trailer was NOT running on next-gen consoles. That was either PS3 or something close to it. This means that Kojima Productions did a VERY good job and that the FOX Engine rocks!

How do you know that?

mosaic

go eat paint
What if each Metal Gear Solid game is an independent unrelated story to all of the games that came before, and Kojima just uses the same "actors" in each game? Like Kenji Eno.

Batzi

Banned
What makes you say that?

the graphics look exactly the same as the first trailer shown back at PAX and that trailer back then was running on a PC that had roughly the same specs as a PS3 and that's what Kojima said, I'm not making this up. That's NOT next-gen which is why it is FUCKING impressive.

Izick

the graphics look exactly the same as the first trailer shown back at PAX and that trailer back then was running on a PC that had roughly the same specs as a PS3 and that's what Kojima said, I'm not making this up. That's NOT next-gen which is why it is FUCKING impressive.

I still don't get how you think that. Couldn't it just be that the versions look very close or something?

Erigu

You don't think two stories with characters both named "SKULL FACE" that deal with racial issues are connected in some way?
It could absolutely be a coincidence.

The idea in MGS1 was that Solid and Liquid would look a little older than regular 30-somethings because they were cloned using cells from a man in his fifties.
Pretty sure that idea was introduced in Metal Gear Solid 2.

Oh and I was right about Skullface? I always thought he looked more like a zombie than a burned person. Looks like that might be what he is.
Kojima said in the podcast that he lost his face/himself, and there's a sob story about what happened to him.

That trailer was NOT running on next-gen consoles. That was either PS3 or something close to it.
I'm betting it was running on a PC, like everything else we've seen so far.

Grief.exe

You might have to source that statement.

As far as I know its been running on a high end PC at every showing.

the same specs as a PS3 makes me very doubtful about your statement, you would have to struggle to create a PC that weak.

Batzi

Banned
I still don't get how you think that. Couldn't it just be that the versions look very close or something?

unless graphically both the PS3 and PS4 look the same, that was NOT next-gen bro. Go back and watch Ground Zeroes trailer and listen what Kojima had to say about the specs. Please watch the GZ trailer and see for yourself then watch Kojima's interview with Geoff at PAX and listen to what he said.

Top Bottom