• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V (PS3/360/PS4/XBO/Maybe PC) - Extended 9 minute E3 trailer

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
what buzzwords? Marketing trailer? wtf?

He means things like "Dynamic CQC" and "A New Breed of Stealth" and "Tactical Espionage Redefined" and "Unparallelled Strategic Freedom".

I can understand the complaints, but I don't really care how the game is marketed when the game looks as good as it does.

Batzi

Banned
He means things like "Dynamic CQC" and "A New Breed of Stealth" and "Tactical Espionage Redefined" and "Unparallelled Strategic Freedom".

I can understand the complaints, but I don't really care how the game is marketed when the game looks as good as it does.

wow people must find something to complain about..

Tookay

Because that's not a third party song. It is MGSV's soundtrack. Wait for the OST.

As for the graphics, look at this and please focus on Big Boss' hair for a minute..does that look next-gen to you?

It looks passable for next-gen.

Maybe not the next-gen that you're expecting, but one that is achievable for Konami and this level of open-world gameplay.

You're focusing on minutiae instead of the bigger picture of what these graphics have to achieve.

I loved MGS4 but MGSV already toppled it easily..
Same if not for the Hayter thing(Loved MGS4, despite probably being my least favorite of the series)

Still, I don't ever think I will have a hype boost/freak out like
vlcsnap-82477.png

again.

So this trailer only has additional starting and ending footage, everything else in the middle is from the conference right?

Also that guy in a beret with Diamond Dogs logo on it, he looks like Campbell doesn't he?

And Sutherland isn't sitting well with me as VA. His voice sounds too cinematically generic/cliched.

I'm all in for seeing the legend of Shalshaska in the making. Ocelot returns !

Toparaman

Banned
This trailer is brutally beautiful, to the point where it's practically overkill. Good god, that song with that imagery...it's just unrelentingly intense.

I do have to say though, this game looks insanely depressing. The atrocities and torture depicted, I know it's true to life, but it just seems like too much for entertainment or even art.

And I realize there are people who hold unpleasant fare like Salo in high regard, but I personally think that the best art has a sense of humor. Kubrick, for example, made some films about very unpleasant subjects, but even those films had an undercurrent of dark humor and satire.

And besides, this is freaking MGS. MGS has always had serious themes, but the campy humor and laughable writing have also been series staples. I can do without the bad writing, but I will miss the soda-drinking monkeys and scientist pant-wetting.

To go from MGS4's hilariously bad fan-fiction story to this... I don't know. On one hand, it would be astounding if Kojima pulled it off, and would instantly elevate his writing cred. On the other hand, would the game be more fun if he failed miserably and the story ended up being pulpy nonsense?

Anyway, I just had to get that off my chest. I have never been so emotional over a trailer. Just brutal.

I loved MGS4 but MGSV already toppled it easily..

You haven't even played it yet.

This looks amazing so far. I'm still disappointed about there being no Hayter (as far as we know). Ever since my first encounter with the series in '98... I mean, I simply can't believe Kojima would just kick him to the side and keep the Japanese voice actor. Complete bull.

Batzi

Banned
So this trailer only has additional starting and ending footage, everything else in the middle is from the conference right?

Also that guy in a beret with Diamond Dogs logo on it, he looks like Campbell doesn't he?

there is a small part at the end that is not in the conference trailer. And yes that man might be Campbell.

Batzi

Banned
You haven't even played it yet.

This looks amazing so far. I'm still disappointed about there being no Hayter (as far as we know). Ever since my first encounter with the series in '98... I mean, I simply can't believe Kojima would just kick him to the side and keep the Japanese voice actor. Complete bull.

I played Peace Walker and I loved it a lot. MGSV is following onto its footsteps and looks fricking awesome..MGS4 is linear and didn't offer as many options as PW or V but still amazing.

This looks so good, i had chills watching it during the xbox conference

I have never play any MGS title apart from a demo of the first one many years ago on the ps1 haha, should i be able to just jump right into this seeing as i have not played any of the previous MGS titles?

Have they detailed in what ways the current gen versions will be limited? Is it just model quality and resolution?

No news as far as I'm aware. I genuinely surprised there has been nothing shown. I'd thought that at least after the Next-Gen reveal, we'd see footage from the Konami booth at least showing something.

This looks so good, i had chills watching it during the xbox conference

I have never play any MGS title apart from a demo of the first one many years ago on the ps1 haha, should i be able to just jump right into this seeing as i have not played any of the previous MGS titles?

Nearly 99% of the story will go over your head...

The thrill and the knowledge of knowing the whole plot and the past of characters with playing all the older parts just adds up to more hype for MGS fans with this new title, because they want to know the upcoming of Big Boss and Outer Heaven...

You didn't get any of that did you? :p

I played Peace Walker and I loved it a lot. MGSV is following onto its footsteps and looks fricking awesome..MGS4 is linear and didn't offer as many options as PW or V but still amazing.

Both MGS3 and MGS4 are similar in terms of being linear. MGS and MGS2 were a bit more free in that you could explore Shadow Moses and the Big Shell as you please. Peace Walker was great, but I didn't care for the way the boss battles (like with heli's, tanks, LAV's, etc) were handled. Same with the AI Metal Gears. Those were just too goofy. PW did well to show us how Outer Heaven was established. MGS5 looks to show us how Big Boss went from being a hero to a villain.

Also, there's no way that kid could function with a package that big being inside of his torso lol.

y2dvd

Trailer and music was amazing. Gotta admit it was weird hearing Keifer's voice but that's just the shock of not hearing Hayter's voice as usual.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
it's been so interesting to see how Solid Snake and Big Boss, despite both being betrayed by their government, reacted in such totally different ways. It's true that they're men of different eras, but I'd love someone to explore in an article why Solid Snake didn't make the same decisions Big Boss did.

Perhaps it was merely the company they kept.

it's been so interesting to see how Solid Snake and Big Boss, despite both being betrayed by their government, reacted in such totally different ways. It's true that they're men of different eras, but I'd love someone to explore in an article why Solid Snake didn't make the same decisions Big Boss did.

Perhaps it was merely the company they kept.

Indeed. Big Boss' reaction to it all was mostly due to the most influential person in his life; The Boss and all that happened to them in MGS3.

Nearly 99% of the story will go over your head...

The thrill and the knowledge of knowing the whole plot and the past of characters with playing all the older parts just adds up to more hype for MGS fans with this new title, because they want to know the upcoming of Big Boss and Outer Heaven...

You didn't get any of that did you? :p

Haha no, well a bit i did but that was about it but sounds like to me i can just jump into this which is important to me as i want this so bad, looks awesome

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Indeed. Big Boss' reaction to it all was mostly due to the most influential person in his life; The Boss and all that happened to them in MGS3.

It's tough to say in MG1 whether Big Boss had an impact on Snake's life, as the narrative wasn't as sophisticated, but it's interesting to note that Snake's revelation is the opposite from Big Boss'.

MG1: Snake finds that his mentor, a person he trusted throughout the game, had betrayed him and everyone else. Big Boss turns out to be an evil figure.

MGS3: Big Boss finds that his mentor, who he believed had betrayed her country, was in fact loyal to the end, but was actually sacrificed by the government for political reasons. The Boss turns out to be a sacrificial figure.

Perhaps that's where their paths begin diverging.

Haha no, well a bit i did but that was about it but sounds like to me i can just jump into this which is important to me as i want this so bad, looks awesome

MGS is all about the story. If you jump into it without fully understanding the whole story arch, you'll be extremely confused. I've been a hardcore fan of the series since '98 and even still I need to refresh myself on some areas of the story.

Top Bottom