• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V Spoiler Free Impressions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicy Bob

lol

So after playing all evening for about five hours, my current completion percentage stands at
only 2%

Can someone be completely honest and say how the story is? In comparison to former MGS games.
You will all be very satisfied. It's Metal Gear Fucking Solid.

Finally some score reviews.

Does it have a hint of the old MGS2 theme?

Nope, keep in mind that it's as far as I have played which is not much. However, the score is fantastic. It's just a shame there is not much of it but when it hits during the cutscenes...

1361.gif

It's mostly a quiet game with the score coming in at the right moments, usually cutscenes or something major that's happened.

Are there any long cutscenes in this one or are they all like GZ (going from gameplay into cutscene?)

There are long cutscenes. EDIT: Not as long as previous MGS games so far though.

A question for the die-hard fans: As far as you have played, are there any references to other games by Kojima not ZoE related? (Snatcher, Policenauts, Boktai) Just say yes or no in a spoiler box. Thank you.

(I'd ask on the spoiler thread but it's floored with info so I don't want to catch anything storywise...)

As far as I have played,
no.
Mind you, I didn't play alot but I am sure there are a ton of hidden easter eggs.

I'd rather not talk about Quiet but DD is random. Here is how I found him.

On my fourth story mission in Afghanistan as soon as I got deployed and started riding on my horse to the objective Kaz told me about a dog who looks tough or something of that nature so I looked around till I heart a little pup sound and so I immediately found him and Fulton-ed him back to my base.

That's where someone found him in an e3 preview, and in the Gregg guy's stream. Sure it's random?

bud

reading these impressions makes me happy. seems like it was worth the wait, and then some.

this series is far too good to go out on a dud mgs4. it needed a proper sendoff. and it's here.

allahu akhbar.

(tuesday please hurry up)

RAIDEN1

If you had to rank the best MGS games, (an initial rank, mind due to the vastness of this game a final judgement may not be made for sometime) where would you say this game sits?

When you fulton a tranqed enemy, can his allies see this and then know where you are?

I have not tried this since I tranquilize every enemy near each other before taking them all back to my base however, when you tranq a baddie and his allie is near, he'll get caution and go check on it so my guess is that they'll be alerted or something if they saw their buddy getting fulton-ed lol.

I think that was staged.
Even the interpreter location at e3 was staged.

Hmm, we'll just have to wait for more impressions then. As for the interpreter, he's not random as far as I am concerned because he's actually a (very minor spoiler)
Side OP mission.

If you had to rank the best MGS games, (an initial rank, mind due to the vastness of this game a final judgement may not be made for sometime) where would you say this game sits?

That's kind of hard to say at the moment but I'll give it a shot. Technically, my favorite MGS is 3 and personally, my favorite one is 4(It was a cathartic experience for me). I'd put this above 3 honestly in terms of the gameplay because it just feels so damn good to control and play. In terms of the story though? 3 of course. I honestly doubt MGS5 is going to be better than 3 story wise but I'll wait and see.

Ranking currently is

MGS3 = MGS5 > MGS4 > MGS2 > MGS1 > DID YOU RIKE IT? > MGS: PW

Seriously? You have to click the right analogue stick now? You didn't in GZ. That's annoying.

Yup, that includes when you want to knock to lure an enemy or call your horse. It's annoying to me as well but not a game beaker that's for sure, I got used to it with time.

Few nit picky things.

• When you're choosing what to say to an enemy if you have him/her on hold up, it's annoying that you have to highlight what you want to say AND press the right analog stick. I'd prefer it if you could just highlight the thing and then remove your hand from the analog stick and it proceeds to do what you wanted.

Seriously? You have to click the right analogue stick now? You didn't in GZ. That's annoying.

Seeing how MGSV is more HUD free compared to the previous games, does anyone know if bosses still have health bars? Or do you just have to pray that your shots will eventually take them out without any indication in the UI?

oldboss

It depends, there may be a few guards on the way to a village/base you're infiltrating so if you got caught there will be an instant alert to anyone who is near him but he can't call for backup. However, if you get caught at a base/village then it'll be instant alert as soon as the guard shouts/shoots at you. Reflex mode helps, that's for sure especially if you like to explore because if you do, a mission would take ages to complete.

Ok thanks!

Is anyone here actually playing without reflex mode? How frustrating is it to get discovered compared to GZ?

I sure as hell plan on playing it like I played GZ : reflex and marking trash turned off.

funkypie

Banned
I have not tried this since I tranquilize every enemy near each other before taking them all back to my base however, when you tranq a baddie and his allie is near, he'll get caution and go check on it so my guess is that they'll be alerted or something if they saw their buddy getting fulton-ed lol.

Doesn't that get boring though? Just tranq enemies all day and running over Fultoning. I hated that about pw. Can this game be played and enjoyed without doing all the Fulton bullshit.

• Opening is one of the best openings in any MGS game, for comparison my favorite was the MGS2 opening. Be sure that you're free for like 2 or so hours so you could experience it with no interruptions.
  • Harry Gregson-Williams score is phenominal. Has the feeling of triumph, sadness, anger and some synth mixed in.
  • Exploring the open world is kind of empty but traversing + collecting things for MB is fun because the game is such a joy to control. As you progress through the game you'll want to revisit previous missions because you're slowly gaining new shit to experiment with.
  • I cannot stress this enough, THE TAPES ARE VERY IMPORTANT. Big Boss talks there alot and even though he talks in cutscenes as well he's much more of a silent person but make no mistake, the facial performance is great and you can feel what he's feeling without saying it(I'm the guy who prefers if he talks but I also welcome this take as well)
  • Game is overwhelming at first but after a few hours, everything will become second nature to the player.
  • Didn't find many Easter Eggs but for those who have the game, go to your MotherBase and tranquilize Ocelot. See what happens.
  • The game looks much better than GZ on Xbox One and the pop-in is reduced significantly.
  • The animations and overall control feels on point and fine tuned much better than GZ ever was.

EDIT: No dips in FPS as well in the Xbox One version, at all. However, the game crashed on me once in a 4-5 hour session. Luckily, it autosaves alot.

Holy shit, I'm excited. I've been waiting for this game for so long. Only a couple of more days. But that's awesome, thanks Death Metalist for the impression details!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
When you fulton a tranqed enemy, can his allies see this and then know where you are?
They won't automatically know where you are but they will call it in and go into alert mode.
"CP, just saw someone get carried away by a balloon, we may have an intruder."

Fury451

Banned
Doesn't that get boring though? Just tranq enemies all day and running over Fultoning. I hated that about pw. Can this game be played and enjoyed without doing all the Fulton bullshit.

Well I don't have it yet and I might be completely wrong, from everything that they've shown you're not obligated to Fulton everything. I'm pretty sure you can just shoot everything like normal if you want. Or Tranq them and leave them, just like you would in any of the other games in the series.

Carbonox

This game.

nfIN4lk.gif

Only done the first 3 missions but god damn.

Oh and PLEASE listen to the tapes. They're fantastic and build the world up a lot more including the in-between stuff you're probably wondering. Some general summaries of past events as a refresher too.

Kiefer is Big Boss. I will no longer accept any other.

I don't think it does because you're sneaking and everything feels smooth as well as a joy to control. It's very satisfying to knock out a bunch of guards and then recruiting them to your base via Fulton. You could of course play the game as Rambo if you wanted but if you even want to get to that level you should have enough people in your base to build you badass things.

You can play it without fultoning enemies BUT then how will you grow and claim back your legend? You're playing as BB and the whole point of the game is returning back to what you were, 9 years ago and getting revenge.

EDIT: I remembered you could develop an item that
analyzes who's the highest ranked person on the field. This way you'd only have to fulton them and kill the rest.

Ok thanks!

Is anyone here actually playing without reflex mode? How frustrating is it to get discovered compared to GZ?

I sure as hell plan on playing it like I played GZ : reflex and marking trash turned off.

It's kind of frustrating because enemies could be ANYWHERE on the map. They are not exclusive to just villages/outposts. However, you could restart from your final checkpoint if you get caught although your bonus points for not restarting in a mission will be lost. Good thing is that you can play the game in whatever way you want, tons of options.

Storm360

My OCD has kicked in already regarding trophies. You get the pop-up but as the list isn't on PSN yet then you can't view them, are these likely to automatically unlock once it does or not?

Yeah, don't worry, this has been a issue in the past, the trophies are unlocking locally on your PS4, you just need the list to be up on psn to be able to sync

Qassim

Quick question for PC players. If ground zeroes ran really well on my PC, will MGSV follow suit as well?

The PC version is Steam only so it's unlikely we'll see any impressions of the PC version until release, but I think it's a fairly safe assumption that the game will run well on PC, I think it'd be difficult to fuck it up given the incredibly strong base they're working from.

oldboss

It's kind of frustrating because enemies could be ANYWHERE on the map. They are not exclusive to just villages/outposts. However, you could restart from your final checkpoint if you get caught although your bonus points for not restarting in a mission will be lost. Good thing is that you can play the game in whatever way you want, tons of options.

Sure, but as you said, if you encounter small groups of enemies at an outpost or out in the wild, there's a relatively small chance of them alerting anyone other than in their immediate surroundings. As long as alerting one guy 5km away from everything doesn't equal the whole fucking map being psychic regarding your position, I can live with it :)

Revven

Part of what makes PW boring when you fulton everyone you tranq is the extremely simple and dumb AI they possess. Not to mention how sparse the enemy count is in PW to begin with.

And to be honest, you don't want to fulton everyone you tranq because if you do that you'll fill your MB with a bunch of weak-skilled units instead of filling it with units with higher stats. At least, in PW, it generally wasn't a good idea to practically fill your MB with awful soldiers -- pick and choose wisely.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So after watching trailers and playing GZ, I ordered this for now rather than later. I am currently enjoying Dragon Age Inquisition, and in a way this seems to be a similar game but in a modern setting. Can't wait!

Alienous

About 10 hours in, day 1.

The gameplay is just now getting to a place of "too familiar". I'm sure sleep will help with that, but I'm wondering if the experience will rise from here.

Henkka

Banned
Sounds great but the size of the game is my biggest concern... I just don't have that kind of time anymore!

I don't see why this is a problem for people, it's not like you have to beat it in a week. And it's not like you'll need any other games.. :D

RoKKeR

How long is it? Approximately?

No idea but I've seen people say they've put like 10 hours in and are only like 5% done or something!

I don't see why this is a problem for people, it's not like you have to beat it in a week. And it's not like you'll need any other games.. :D

Well I have hopped on the MGS train pretty late and have little invested so there are still other games I'm excited about for the fall that will be vying for my limited time.

I saw this but once the game comes out my tune may change!

JTripper

I felt a big highlight of 3, and a big reason as to why it was my favorite, was because of it's setting and style. It was like a Bond movie in the jungle during the 60s.

I'm guessing Phantom Pain is basically like the "Snake Eater" of the 80s in that regard?

It's weird trying to describe it like that, maybe cause Big Boss is my favorite MGS character and TPP is the only other home console MGS game starring him.

Drewfonse

Pretty great impressions. If I wanted to do a straight story run (I know, I know), approximately how long am I looking at?

25 hrs? less?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Pretty great impressions. If I wanted to do a straight story run (I know, I know), approximately how long am I looking at?

25 hrs? less?

Reviewer said around ~40 hours.

And that is alone story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom