• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V Spoiler Free Impressions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
One of the guys who was at the review event posted a screenshot with his total play time so far.... over 67 hours.

This game is MASSIVE.

Just the way I like it. I'm already in love with the MGS story up to this point, the characters, and if the game is just "more Ground Zeroes" I'm a happy camper.

Carbonox

Am I the only one who finishes a mission and doesn't want to do the next one for fear of moving too fast even though I'm only up to mission 4 and there are a billion more hours left in the game? :lol

I'm tempted to go back to the first two missions and re-do the side requirements in those to 100% them.

OCD, not good in a game this size but I get this way in every massive game.

Lucid07

Doesn't that get boring though? Just tranq enemies all day and running over Fultoning. I hated that about pw. Can this game be played and enjoyed without doing all the Fulton bullshit.

See the thing is you can't analyse people's strengths but your base will fill up fast doing this (you can upgrade space) so when you let go of people and you can analyse their ranks etc you only be going after high ranking ones. Hope it made sense.

See the thing is you can't analyse people's strengths but your base will fill up fast doing this (you can upgrade space) so when you let go of people and you can analyse their ranks etc you only be going after high ranking ones. Hope it made sense.

Sorry, are you saying that we don't have the ability to judge soldiers' skill rankings at first? I guess that makes sense.

The PC version is Steam only so it's unlikely we'll see any impressions of the PC version until release, but I think it's a fairly safe assumption that the game will run well on PC, I think it'd be difficult to fuck it up given the incredibly strong base they're working from.

Ah, sorry I meant like my PC in general. I'm not too tech savy with specs and whatnot. Ground Zeroes runs really well on my machine and I was just curious if that would mean MGSV would as well.

Rogan

Banned
I just hate horror in games. It can stop me from playing a game forever.

How horror esque is the opening? Because some people where refering to PT demo.

Lucid07

Don't know why? The only reason I can thing of is a radio broadcasting in the background slightly sounded like PT. Although It wasn't related to it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

It's not that bad. Not even in the same stratosphere as PT in terms of genuine terror.

Qassim

Ah, sorry I meant like my PC in general. I'm not too tech savy with specs and whatnot. Ground Zeroes runs really well on my machine and I was just curious if that would mean MGSV would as well.

Yeah, I think it may be a tad more demanding but not significantly so. The minimum and recommended specs are the same as Ground Zeroes so you should be fine, if there is a difference in how demanding the game is, it wasn't significant enough for them to increase the hardware requirements and recommendations.

I wanna know about the ranking requirements and how they differ from GZ. I heard you can actually kill a few people this time? Is it still about rushing through it as fast as possible? What are the exceptions the IGN review talked about?

No you don't. You can change it in the options menu. Under "Control Settings" surprisingly enough.

That's awesome! Gotta try that when I'm back home.

It's not horror in the sense of I'm really scared and I'm gonna shit. I don't see how they can compare it to the PT demo since that one is legitimately I'm gonna shit my pants scary. The opening is scary in it's brutality, confusion and mystery. I don't want to say anymore but I can't think of a game in recent memory that made me say "Holy shit" and "WTF" over and over again. The last time I was like that was when I played MGS4.

I wanna know about the ranking requirements and how they differ from GZ. I heard you can actually kill a few people this time? Is it still about rushing through it as fast as possible? What are the exceptions the IGN review talked about?

It's a system that rewards both playstyles. It's much more complex than GZ but I am going to guess that the quickest way to get S ranks is to finish it quick with no kills, no alarms and not restarting to a checkpoint when you get spotted.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Screen_Shot_2015_08_27_at_4_11_26_AM.png

shiba5

I've never played a MGS game before, but I played GZ and liked it even though I have no idea what the story is. So what I really want to know is how much do you get to use the dog?

Grisby

I think DD is random, cause I found him by accident
I'd rather not talk about Quiet but DD is random. Here is how I found him.

On my fourth story mission in Afghanistan as soon as I got deployed and started riding my horse to the objective Kaz told me about a dog who looks tough or something of that nature so I looked around till I heard little pup barking and so I immediately found him and Fulton-ed him back to my base.
Thanks bros. They just seem like two cool bits of the game and I hate it when I can miss stuff like that.

nillapuddin

So whats the deal with companion app

I will have the Xbox One, but I have a Surface and a Windows Phone

how will I interact with a second screen?

Alienous

10 hours in one day. Exhausted. Can't think straight well enough to finish a mission.

Quit to title screen.

"11%"

Lawdamercy.

Sky Chief

So whats the deal with companion app

I will have the Xbox One, but I have a Surface and a Windows Phone

how will I interact with a second screen?

You can see the map and use iDroid features such as listening to tapes

I think it's unlikely that the companion app will be available for anything other than iOS and Android

NZerker12

Why, why did I come to this thread?
Just to suffer?

Ughhhhh reading all these impressions is making me go crazy.

Why can't 1st September come quickly?

Alienous

So killing dozens of people won't ruin your ranking? Interesting.

I don't know the algorithm they use, but it seems to reflect actual performance quite well. Not being seen and not killing practically guarantee an S-rank, but I've also gotten an S-rank killing (with headshots), avoiding damage and being quick.

glad the ranking system has changed somewhat. It'll be a shame if you have all these weapons and the game penalizes you from using anything but the traq gun. Obviously you want to be fast and stealthy, but there's more leeway in experimentation.

I think the coolest thing about the game is lets say you have 5 side ops in Afghanistan, you can do them all in one go in real time without heading back to base or some loading screen/menu.etc

So, as long as you are in that map and you have side ops for it, the mission is basically free for you to approach within the world.

So I've got a few trophies pop up but the game doesn't come up on my trophy list _ is this the same for everyone else?

Hmm, I'm playing it on Xbox One but they are popping up just fine. What I don't understand though is that when I take screenshots or clips, I can't save them nor share them. They are just there on my system for me to see but no one else so I don't know if its something wrong with upload or if Konami disabled such a thing? but then again people with their PS4 copies have been taking screenshots just fine so I don't know what's going on.

It's weird though that the pictures/clips don't have the name of the game on it. Weird but that's how I know when a pic or clip can't be saved/shared. I don't know if this is a bug or what but I restarted my console and all but it's still the same for some reason.

JTripper

I think the coolest thing about the game is lets say you have 5 side ops in Afghanistan, you can do them all in one go in real time without heading back to base or some loading screen/menu.etc

So, as long as you are in that map and you have side ops for it, the mission is basically free for you to approach within the world.

That's awesome. Basically Peace Walker 2.0

aliengmr

Anyone play the PC version? If so, are there any changes to M&KB controls? GZ wasn't bad but it could have used a bit of work.

dmshaposv

I got the game today.

1) the intro was nice, but it felt too handholding/on rails for my liking (doesnt represent the rest of the game). Also not a fan of the overkill anamorphic lens flare.

2) fox engine is beautiful and I really think the lighting model they have is better than most other next gen games - especially daylight looks better than most other games.The models and textures could be better.

3) afghanistan is wonderfully realized. Its not copy paste same area. There is tons of detail and variation amongst each outpost and the fact u can go into tiny huts/houses serves to make each location feels like it can be explored inside out. Just adds to the immersion.

4) A.I seems smarter and more aggressive than GZ. Sound design has been improved.

5) yes all things that annoyed us in gameplay videos can be sort of adjusted. Big boss doesnt 'hiyas' all the time, idroid audio cues (Marker placed!) can be turned off, etc.

6) keifer sounds good on the tapes, and the VA in the tapes is good. They are essentially codec calls - and bb talks too in them so it isnt a case of 'lololol keifer was too expensive'.

Yeah, I think it may be a tad more demanding but not significantly so. The minimum and recommended specs are the same as Ground Zeroes so you should be fine, if there is a difference in how demanding the game is, it wasn't significant enough for them to increase the hardware requirements and recommendations.

Lovely. Thanks, mate

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
5) yes all things that annoyed us in gameplay videos can be sort of adjusted. Big boss doesnt 'hiyas' all the time, idroid audio cues (Marker placed!) can be turned off, etc.

This will make a lot of people happy.

IMACOMPUTA

I have played about four hours and completed four missions.

I'll tell you how good this game is. My girlfriend watched me play Ground Zeroes this morning and the prologue of Phantom Pain in the afternoon and then insisted that we spend all evening playing it together.

She has no interest in games.

That's the best. My wife (then girlfriend) has only done that with one game. Resident Evil 4.

cackhyena

4) A.I seems smarter and more aggressive than GZ. Sound design has been improved.

Yessssss

4:15 in. Here are some thoughts. Bear in mind it's my first MGS game. Thanks :)

It isn't the best looking game ever, but it's bloody nice. No issues with the graphics.

Intro is great but the prologue to me is a bit slow in places.

The atmosphere is incredible, I'm literally scared of being seen every second I'm in the battlefield. Amazing.

Controls and feel seem greatly improved from the small bit I played of GZ. This seems a LOT BETTER. If you didn't like GZ, you'll like this.

I've played for over four hours and I am 2% through. This game is long. Value for money is here alright!

Overall I think it'll make a lot of people very happy. It's just a game of incredible scale and life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom