• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V Spoiler Free Impressions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

[HP]

At risk of opening a can of worms, but how is Kiefer's performance?

So far, it's the worse thing about the game for me. Not to say that he does a bad job, it's just that for me at least, it's hard to imagine Snake as anyone else but David Hayter, also, Snake speaks so little in this game, every time he opens his mouth, your brain just triggers the thought: "Oh that's right... It's Kiefer".
Sigh... not a game breaker, but still bums me out a bit.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
A question for the die-hard fans: As far as you have played, are there any references to other games by Kojima not ZoE related? (Snatcher, Policenauts, Boktai) Just say yes or no in a spoiler box. Thank you.

(I'd ask on the spoiler thread but it's floored with info so I don't want to catch anything storywise...)

dc89

Are some of the tapes missable?
are boss fights as memorable and good as other mags games?

Well i can't say yes or no for certain. I've only listened to tapes that have unlocked as you complete a mission, so you can't miss these ones! Still, really good tapes!

Not fought a boss yet.

Thanks Garrett! I'm so pumped for this!

How long has the longest tape been that you've listened to?

I'm also interested in knowing this! I imagine I'll be playing these tapes while on breaks or something. Also, is it possible to stream the tapes to the PS controller speakers?

Arun1910

• Game looks amazing, visually a lot better than Ground Zeroes
  • Snake handles better, at least I think he does
  • The opening of the game is intense, my favourite metal gear opening of all time
  • D-Horse is very easy to control, responsive
  • The game is HUGE. There seems to be too much going on. I'm only 4 hours in and I'm trying to learn even menu layouts still, finding your way around seems hard but I'm sure, like anything, that practice will make perfect! (This isn't a complaint at all, just that this game so far was worth the wait)
  • Afghanistan is actually really fun to explore, lots of fun camps and stuff

Storm360

[HP];176730913 said:
Servers are still down in the game tho, all online functionalities are turned off.

Would have been nice to see if they had something like the Motherbase game again though even if the game link isn't up

• Game looks amazing, visually a lot better than Ground Zeroes
  • Snake handles better, at least I think he does
  • The opening of the game is intense, my favourite metal gear opening of all time
  • D-Horse is very easy to control, responsive
  • The game is HUGE. There seems to be too much going on. I'm only 4 hours in and I'm trying to learn even menu layouts still, finding your way around seems hard but I'm sure, like anything, that practice will make perfect! (This isn't a complaint at all, just that this game so far was worth the wait)
  • Afghanistan is actually really fun to explore, lots of fun camps and stuff

Does the game still have that thing where Snake's character model fades out when the camera gets too close?

Also, is the cover system tighter? It was a giant pain in the ass moving left and right in Ground Zeroes, because you could easily just break away from cover and get spotted.

DeathPeak

Thanks to those of you taking the time to answer questions!

Does the open world cause a lot of distraction from the story? Does it depend on how the person wants to play?

Reda

Neo Member
Well i can't say yes or no for certain. I've only listened to tapes that have unlocked as you complete a mission, so you can't miss these ones! Still, really good tapes!

Not fought a boss yet.

Thanks, I hope there are none.

Mindman

Are the night scenes using the correct gamma level? I remember night scenes looking very washed out in Ground Zeroes.

.Anema

Thanks to those of you taking the time to answer questions!

Does the open world cause a lot of distraction from the story? Does it depend on how the person wants to play?

You can play the missions in order or take your time to the secondary missions. But the story is not a "chapter to chapter", it's split between missions like "mission 1 story - mission 2 "something else" - mission 3 story" etc.

At risk of opening a can of worms, but how is Kiefer's performance?

He's pretty good. Much better than I expected, in the tapes of course but in cutscenes he doesn't talk much as far as where I am in the game to form a solid opinion on it.

I have a VERY important question for all you lucky ones ... Instant alert all the time or not?

It depends, there may be a few guards on the way to a village/base you're infiltrating so if you got caught there will be an instant alert to anyone who is near him but he can't call for backup. However, if you get caught at a base/village then it'll be instant alert as soon as the guard shouts/shoots at you. Reflex mode helps, that's for sure especially if you like to explore because if you do, a mission would take ages to complete.

Sendero

Awesome stuff. Makes me a bit annoyed that the companion app will not work for PC, since I am definitely someone that would prefer to listen to the tapes outside of playing, perhaps while I'm running.
Wait, what??

Is it official that the idroid app won't work with the PC version? I thought they had it planned, since they missed it for Ground Zeroes.

Also, quick question: How good/bad is the balance of the money you acquire, vs your regular needs? Do you need to be careful not to Fulton everything in sight? I'm quite interested on how to approach the development of weapons/gadgets/motherbase, etc.

He's pretty good. Much better than I expected, in the tapes of course but in cutscenes he doesn't talk much as far as where I am in the game to form a solid opinion on it.

It depends, there may be a few guards on the way to a village/base you're infiltrating so if you got caught there will be an instant alert to anyone who is near him but he can't call for backup. However, if you get caught then it'll be instant alert as soon as the guard shouts/shoots at you. Reflex mode helps, that's for sure especially if you like to explore because if you do, a mission would take ages to complete.

Performing facial capture with Mr Hollywood is expensive, yo. Much cheaper to have him talk away in tapes where he doesn't have to do all that shit.

Yasawas

My OCD has kicked in already regarding trophies. You get the pop-up but as the list isn't on PSN yet then you can't view them, are these likely to automatically unlock once it does or not?

I get the impression that the intro to the game is incredible, but then the game completely switches after that.

Does the story and presentation lose steam after that awesome intro , or is there more like that to look forward to ?

Few nit picky things.

• You cannot interact with your staff in Motherbase, like you can't salute back to your recruits but you can kick their ass and they'll
    thank you for it.
  • The MB menu in which you manage which person is put in which part is abit confusing and not as clear as PW, I assume with time this will be second nature.
  • The open world area for the most part is empty as far as I have explored. If you want plants then you'll find them most likely anywhere but for anything interesting like tapes(so far I only found music ones) they are all in buildings/outposts. That goes for materials as well that aren't plants.
  • It's not clear as of right now how to increase your relationships with your buddies but my guess is to use them in missions as much as possible?
  • Sometimes if you down an enemy you'd by mistake pick his weapon up instead of his body.
  • Aiming with the binoculars and then pressing for intel from Kaz/ocelot is a hit and miss. Sometimes he'll talk about what you're aiming at and sometimes he talks about something else entirely.
  • When you're choosing what to say to an enemy if you have him/her on hold up, it's annoying that you have to highlight what you want to say AND press the right analog stick. I'd prefer it if you could just highlight the thing and then remove your hand from the analog stick and it proceeds to do what you wanted.

That's all I could think of at the moment but as I said. Very specific nit picky things.

I have to mention though, if anyone has a home theater setup. The sound mixing in this game is spectacular. I'm floored.

Can you replay missions on a harder difficulty like in GZ?

Are side missions as repetitive and boring as in PW, or are they fun like GZ?

Do you have to find weapon blueprints within the world like in PW? If so, can you find different ones in different missions and if so, are there any systems in place to warn you about important stuff you may have missed, or would you have to rely on a guide if you want to make sure that you get everything?

I get the impression that the intro to the game is incredible, but then the game completely switches after that.

Does the story and presentation lose steam after that awesome intro , or is there more like that to look forward to ?

Let's just say that nothing is at the level of the opening as far as I have played. I'm guessing it won't be until the end game stuff but it doesn't mean it can't be great/incredible all the way through, just not amazing which is what the opening is.

Grisby

So how hard is it to miss Quiet or (I'm assuming) DD? I remember Kojima said that you might not find those guys.

psychotron

• Opening is one of the best openings in any MGS game, for comparison my favorite was the MGS2 opening. Be sure that you're free for like 2 or so hours so you could experience it with no interruptions.
  • Harry Gregson-Williams score is phenominal. Has the feeling of triumph, sadness, anger and some synth mixed in.
  • Exploring the open world is kind of empty but traversing + collecting things for MB is fun because the game is such a joy to control. As you progress through the game you'll want to revisit previous missions because you're slowly gaining new shit to experiment with.
  • I cannot stress this enough, THE TAPES ARE VERY IMPORTANT. Big Boss talks there alot and even though he talks in cutscenes as well he's much more of a silent person but make no mistake, the facial performance is great and you can feel what he's feeling without saying it(I'm the guy who prefers if he talks but I also welcome this take as well)
  • Game is overwhelming at first but after a few hours, everything will become second nature to the player.
  • Didn't find many Easter Eggs but for those who have the game, go to your MotherBase and tranquilize Ocelot. See what happens.
  • The game looks much better than GZ on Xbox One and the pop-in is reduced significantly.
  • The animations and overall control feels on point and fine tuned much better than GZ ever was.

EDIT: No dips in FPS as well in the Xbox One version, at all. However, the game crashed on me once in a 4-5 hour session. Luckily, it autosaves alot.

Thank you for this. Hype returned.

Let's just say that nothing is at the level of the opening as far as I have played. I'm guessing it won't be until the end game stuff but it doesn't mean it can't be great/incredible all the way through, just not amazing which is what the opening is.

Yeah that was kinda my worry. I'm sure Kojima pulls out all the stops near the end though.

So how hard is it to miss Quiet or (I'm assuming) DD? I remember Kojima said that you might not find those guys.

I'd rather not talk about Quiet but DD is random. Here is how I found him.

On my fourth story mission in Afghanistan as soon as I got deployed and started riding my horse to the objective Kaz told me about a dog who looks tough or something of that nature so I looked around till I heard little pup barking and so I immediately found him and Fulton-ed him back to my base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom