• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | Review Thread | Words That Kill

In the lead up to the finale, you need to spend an hour or two replaying older missions on a higher difficulty setting in order to unlock the last story missions. This is the only aspect of The Phantom Pain that feels off. The gameplay is near impeccable, and the story and characters are captivating, making for an experience that's unlike any other game I've played, but this part of the Phantom Pain felt mundane.

What? Why? What a silly inclusion.

Wonder how this works then. Does the game just straight up tell you "now go back and replay missions X,Y & Z on hard. Or is it a GMP/resource thing, and they're the most rewarding missions?

I judge the value of a human based on their opinion of Metal Gear Solid 4.

I prefer to use Metal Gear Solid 2 myself, I think it really separates the intellectuals from the squalid bourgeois filth...it also tell you if they like roller skates and parrots, which is good info to know about someone.

Dont watch his episode 1. Greg blurts out a spoiler before the guy with him basically stares a hole in him. He does it twice in episode 1. It's so far exclusive to a site not youtube.

Thanks for the warning mate.

Even though I've given up on the story to be completely honest, I've only played MGS 4 and 1, but found the story conveluted and very hard to follow.

I hope it succeed in drawing me in though for this installment of the series. If it doesn't I couldn't care less though as it seems all the impressions are saying that the gameplay is impeccable.

Can't wait!

Again, for anyone in Denmark, Copenhagen area, hit me with a PM if you want the game a couple of days before release. I know a dude.

Wonder how this works then. Does the game just straight up tell you "now go back and replay missions X,Y & Z on hard. Or is it a GMP/resource thing, and they're the most rewarding missions?

From the sound of it, it straight up tells you to beat missions. Now it's not specifically a replay, one reviewer said it was three missions numbered in the forties but they are clones of earlier missions with nw difficulty.

You can fast forward tapes and even step through the text line by line according to one review. Ffwd was in GZ already.

I don't know about finding taped conversations on the field, I'm sure some will but least the ones from your crew are just unlocked when appropriate as far as I could gather.
GZ took it to extremes in having you literally piece together a tape scattered across multiple universes, I'm not expecting tpp to go that far but you never know.

You're right, imagining that Snake/Big Boss/Raiden is hiding around a corner sitting perfectly still having a lengthy conversation about why Mei Ling joined the military/being afraid of vampires/what fucking day it is tomorrow, in the middle of a stealth mission surrounded by enemies...well you see where I'm going here.

Don't think about it too much.

Eh, it's all about the presentation these days and there is actually more to codecs than just people talking about a specific thing that just happened. I mean you could do a specific thing at any moment in the game and then codec one of the characters, each one would have interesting as well as funny stuff to say. I brought up the example before that in MGS1 Mei Ling would always gives you quotes of wisdom when you want to save the game, throughout the entire game I don't think she repeats a quote even. In MGS2, Otacon takes the place of Mei Ling for saving and he tries to do the same but fails miserably because he doesn't understand what these quotes fully mean lol.

Shit like that is only possible with codecs when you got the control of who to call and when. MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

cLOUDo

the only things i wanna kwon from the reviews are:

- how much Big Boss talk in the game?
- there are cooperative missions as in Peace Walker?

There's at least one trailer which shows Boss going face to face with a big "mech" it's unkown if it's a cutscene, or something which you fight later, could be both.

Yeah I'm sure it'll have action like that and who knows that may be fucking awesome, I just remember how remarkable the Shagohod sequence was, or the Harrier fight in MGS2. Or Rex/Ray in 4. I've always been a fan of Kojima's action and I'm hoping this one carries that tradition.

From the sound of it, it straight up tells you to beat missions. Now it's not specifically a replay, one reviewer said it was three missions numbered in the forties but they are clones of earlier missions with nw difficulty.

Well that's good... I guess.

I'd rather it tells you what to do than have it be some cryptic hassle that you'd never figure out without reading a guide.

Of course, if you're going to just straight up tell the player how to beat the secret ending why bother including a secret ending to begin with?! Why not just have it unfold naturally, as part of a defined narrative that rewards the player for overcoming the challenges and beating the game?! Or just stick it after the 'credits' like MGS4 did?

I'm wondering how this works, too. So you beat certain missions - which, according to YongYea, is either a hostage rescue, assassination, or destroying equipment - but they get magically reset for you to beat again? I don't get how this is going to make any sense in the context of the story.

Sotha_Sil

GOTY awards will be a bloodbath. Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, MGS5, and (likely) Fallout 4 would all be major contenders in any year. Throw in the oft-forgotten PC exclusives like Pillars of Eternity and Skylines, and it's just crazy.

Emedan

Codec convos were definitely important to the story sometimes, but their purpose was backup information and support.

We can look at it like this:

Tapes are now the non-support codec convos

L1 radio support is now the in-field support codec convos

Codecs was more about getting to know the characters, making them more personal. Which worked great mind you and was very important for the story - to build character. In MGS it was used to great dramatical effect when Miller was ousted as Liquid, it felt more impactful cause we had so many conversations with this character and knew how he was to then simply get this bombed dropped on us meant something more than if the Codecs hadn't been in there for us to get attached.

Calling them filler is insulting and completely misses the point. I start wondering if people even know what a metal gear game is around here

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Eh, it's all about the presentation these days and there is actually more to codecs than just people talking about a specific thing that just happened. I mean you could do a specific thing at any moment in the game and then codec one of the characters, each one would have interesting as well as funny stuff to say. I brought up the example before that in MGS1 Mei Ling would always gives you quotes of wisdom when you want to save the game, throughout the entire game I don't think she repeats a quote even. In MGS2, Otacon takes the place of Mei Ling for saving and he tries to do the same but fails miserably because he doesn't understand what these quotes fully mean lol.

Shit like that is only possible with codecs when you got the control of who to call and when. MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Sure, but that also means you're more likely to miss out on all kinds of stuff. You have to admit that it's kind of distracting to always be thinking "should I call X,Y,and Z now? What about now? Or now? Ugh I better call them just in case."

In Peace Walker, almost all the tapes are just given to you at certain points in the game, with extra tapes that require some work to get. TPP will likely be the same.

Ugh, these reviews. I'm so torn because I am in the camp that despised MGS4, but I feel the series luring me back.

I'm with you. I despised MGS4 (and stupidly felt kind of betrayed by it), couldn't get into Ground Zeroes no matter how hard I tried, and was even unable to enjoy replaying MGS3 in the HD Collection recently despite it being my favorite game for years in high school. I feel like MGS4/my adulthood has rendered me unable to enjoy MGS anymore, once my favorite series.

So I'm hesitant to play this but I really want to believe I can love MGS again.

Gurish

GOTY awards will be a bloodbath. Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, MGS5, and (likely) Fallout 4 would all be major contenders in any year. Throw in the oft-forgotten PC exclusives like Pillars of Eternity and Skylines, and it's just crazy.

I really liked AK, planning on doing NG+, though it wasn't the as good as City, but objectively speaking, no chance it will run for GOTY this year (maybe last year it had a better chance), the real fight will be between TW3-MGS5-FO4, it could go either way.

I'm wondering how this works, too. So you beat certain missions - which, according to YongYea, is either a hostage rescue, assassination, or destroying equipment - but they get magically reset for you to beat again? I don't get how this is going to make any sense in the context of the story.

How does the main character being killed and then being magically reset to attempt the mission again make any more sense?
vidyaganmes

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Really? people were praising it on twitter for being spoiler free

I don't enjoy whining about spoilers, but there is a significant one around the 16 minute mark. The worst part is that he says 'this is not a spoiler' before dropping a huge spoiler.

Sure, but that also means you're more likely to miss out on all kinds of stuff. You have to admit that it's kind of distracting to always be thinking "should I call X,Y,and Z now? What about now? Or now? Ugh I better call them just in case."

In Peace Walker, almost all the tapes are just given to you at certain points in the game, with extra tapes that require some work to get. TPP will likely be the same.

That's why you don't do that in your first playthrough, you do that in other playthroughs. My point is the option was always there to do so if you liked. Now other then that, the codecs felt more meaningful than pre-recorded tapes because everyone was reacting to what happened at that specific moment. With tapes, you're just going to have shit tons of info at your disposal about things that happened a few minutes to many days ago.

The only great thing about tapes is that you could always get back and listen to them as opposed to codecs they only happen at that point in the story. In other playthroughts you could skip them all so, it balances out.

I just ran into something worrying. I downloaded the phone app for Ground Zeroes so I could use it in conjunction with the PC version of the game... And it's not supported. What in the fuck?

Is this the app that's supposed to be used with MGSV? This is a huge bummer if I can't have the same functionality as the console versions.

CNMd74NVEAAQzB_.jpg

PensOwl

Banned
Sure, it's iconic, but that doesn't mean it's inherently good. In most of the codec calls, Snake is just sitting there as a proxy for the player. Those exposition and info dumps didn't always matter to Snakes current mission. But it mattered to us. Most of the time he'd just listen to everything and question it like he had no idea what was going on. Codecs were an excuse to add story were it naturally shouldn't be. Are tapes any better in that regard? Maybe not, but at least they are more versatile than codec calls.

You're right, imagining that Snake/Big Boss/Raiden is hiding around a corner sitting perfectly still having a lengthy conversation about why Mei Ling joined the military/being afraid of vampires/what fucking day it is tomorrow, in the middle of a stealth mission surrounded by enemies...well you see where I'm going here.

Don't think about it too much.

It didn't have to be this way. They could have combined the positive points of the codec and the tapes and made something better. From the reviews major story points are still reserved to tapes, so it's not like its any different from the codec in that sense.

As far as I'm concerned, they picked the worst option- another numbered collectible across an open world. Like scrounging around for chico's tapes in GZ but worse. One of my favorite codecs is snake and the croc cap, calling all of the supporting team in mgs3 just to see their reactions and snake being disappointed with them. With the mgsv system, something on that level can never happen, which I consider a loss for the series.

Then again, there's been nothing on that level since mgs3 so I guess I should be used to it.

Top Bottom