• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | Review Thread | Words That Kill

usp84

Can't wait for the inevitable "MGS V is a great game but a bad MGS game" thread LOL

So many overeactions here

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
And you can't fast forward through them or choose who you want to talk to.

But the worst thing about tapes is they turned an iconic feature of metal gear from the beginning of the series into an overused cliche collectible where we're supposed to imagine every conversation ever just happens to be recorded and scattered around this open world.

Sure, it's iconic, but that doesn't mean it's inherently good. In most of the codec calls, Snake is just sitting there as a proxy for the player. Those exposition and info dumps didn't always matter to Snakes current mission. But it mattered to us. Most of the time he'd just listen to everything and question it like he had no idea what was going on. Codecs were an excuse to add story were it naturally shouldn't be. Are tapes any better in that regard? Maybe not, but at least they are more versatile than codec calls.

meanspartan

GOTY2016 without a doubt

Fallout 4 and others aren't even out yet, and Witcher 3 and Bloodborne will be tough for MGS V to dethrone, at least for me personally.

I wouldn't say "without a doubt", but I am very happy to hear it will certainly be a strong contender.

Excuse you guys?

MGS4 was fantastic and deserving of all the praise it got. Probably the best game in the series, or at least tied with MGS2 as the best.

Didn't MGS4, if I recall correctly, win GOTY in the neogaf dot com voting TWO separate years?

Mhmmm.
NKq0BiQ.gif

Is anyone contesting that MGS4 is a popular game? Because I don't think anyone is. Lots of people really like MGS4, and if that's your criteria, then it passes with flying colors.

Grief.exe

Should I pick this up on the PC or the PS4? Usually it would be a no brainier to get it on the PC but after the Batman Fiasco I don't know.

The only negative to the PC version is MGO's release date. If you are looking forward to MGO, than you should probably pick up the PS4 version. Otherwise, PC just about every time.

Just saw the Greg Miller spoiler free review and got really excited by the unlocked harder mission settings after completing a mission.

Like "no-equipment"-setting or "only-stealth"-setting, My hype really increased because of that.

EDIT: Also we will have rain all week long after a period of rare sunny weather over here in Denmark and I can't believe I'm saying it but I'm glad lol. An excuse to just sit at home and play all day long!

Some reviews mention optional outfits for Quiet.

Do any of them include a pair of pants?

Oh please let this be the case. Especially after reading about what an awesome character she turns out to be, I cannot sit through cutscenes with her in the current garb, in particular with my wife in the room.

SomTervo

Just saw the Greg Miller spoiler free review and got really excited by the unlocked harder mission settings after completing a mission.

Like "no-equipment"-setting or "only-stealth"-setting, My hype really increased because of that.

EDIT: Also we will have rain all week long after a period of rare sunny weather over here in Denmark and I can't believe I'm saying it but I'm glad lol. An excuse to just sit at home and play all day long!

Same here!

This is literally dream-level shit for me in a stealth game!!!

Jackpot

Banned
Some reviews mention optional outfits for Quiet.

Do any of them include a pair of pants?

One review only mentions various body paints;

There is also the matter of Quiet, a recruitable ally sniper who wears only underwear and has optional outfits that see her painted silver or covered in buckets of blood. The justification for her dress sense is so stupid I’m sure a bit of brain fluid leaked from my ear, which is disappointing when the game’s creator, Hideo Kojima, made some bold claims about the reasoning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/what-to-play/metal-gear-solid-v-review/

Tall Paul

Been doing my damdest to ignore all MGS contact but now I've dived into this thread and I can't get out. Going through Phantom Pain on XB1 in prep, first MGS game for a while but love the series, cannot wait!

Dont watch his episode 1. Greg blurts out a spoiler before the guy with him basically stares a hole in him. He does it twice in episode 1. It's so far exclusive to a site not youtube.

Astral

So what about MGO? Does that not come with the game on launch? Sorry, I don't have time to go through the whole thread right now.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
In the lead up to the finale, you need to spend an hour or two replaying older missions on a higher difficulty setting in order to unlock the last story missions. This is the only aspect of The Phantom Pain that feels off. The gameplay is near impeccable, and the story and characters are captivating, making for an experience that's unlike any other game I've played, but this part of the Phantom Pain felt mundane.

What? Why? What a silly inclusion.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I judge the value of a human based on their opinion of Metal Gear Solid 4.

Yen

Telegraph review states (as a bug) what we should do if any of us is ever a guard in a dodgy military base and runs over someone:

I once saw an enemy truck driver run over one of his soldier friends, only for the whole base to go on alert and him to start shouting about finding the person responsible.

Same here. Quietly judging. Very subtly shaking my head in disapproval.

(but seriously, if someone who disliked MGS4 as much as I did ends up liking this game, please post about it! That's about the only thing that could get me to buy this game!)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is MGO going to be similar to GTA with open world? Or will it be more of a team vs team affair?

Gurish

I hate it, was the worst in the series (mainline) by far, how did I do? :)

I have a question, do you really have to reply missions in order to progress? how much grind is there in this game?
If I'm doing tons of side-ops, why do I still need to reply the same missions?

Dont watch his episode 1. Greg blurts out a spoiler before the guy with him basically stares a hole in him. He does it twice in episode 1. It's so far exclusive to a site not youtube.

Noted. I prefered the other guy's video anyway.

Got to say 'Episode 2' was even more bare bones than I was expecting, I wonder how many episodes are set on Mother Base.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I just noticed that the Kinda Funny review has been added to the OP with a spoiler-free tag.

There is a MASSIVE spoiler in that video, no matter how much they claim it's spoiler-free

And you can't fast forward through them or choose who you want to talk to.

But the worst thing about tapes is they turned an iconic feature of metal gear from the beginning of the series into an overused cliche collectible where we're supposed to imagine every conversation ever just happens to be recorded and scattered around this open world.

You're right, imagining that Snake/Big Boss/Raiden is hiding around a corner sitting perfectly still having a lengthy conversation about why Mei Ling joined the military/being afraid of vampires/what fucking day it is tomorrow, in the middle of a stealth mission surrounded by enemies...well you see where I'm going here.

Don't think about it too much.

Top Bottom