• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: TPP PC vs. PS4 vs. XBO DF Face-Off Definitive Edition

On a side note, DF really need to start using PNG's in their comparison images instead of JPEG's. What's the point of the comparison if you're comparing compressed JPEG's?

Because if they're compressed properly (which they seemingly are) jpgs are perfectly adequate and the size difference makes a noticeable difference to loading when browsing - especially from mobile.

On a side note, DF really need to start using PNG's in their comparison images instead of JPEG's. What's the point of the comparison if you're comparing compressed JPEG's?
Because if they're compressed properly (which they seemingly are) jpgs are perfectly adequate and the size difference makes a noticeable difference to loading when browsing - especially from mobile.

They actually do have PNG versions. You jhust have to change the address manually.IMO, their JPGs are not high quality enough to show sometimes what a PPAA does to an image at times. Things like that.

nib95

Banned

Adequate, but certainly not ideal, especially not for a technical analysis. I'd rather take the bandwidth hit and have accurate images to work with, than faster loading with added compression. Kind of defeats the purpose of such comparisons otherwise.

They actually do have PNG versions. You jhust have to change the address manually.IMO, their JPGs are not high quality enough to show sometimes what a PPAA does to an image at times. Things like that.

I didn't even know this. Awesome. Appreciate the titbit of info.

Which part of the address are you changing? I've subbed the jpg for png and I'm getting 503.
Adequate, but certainly not ideal, especially not for a technical analysis. I'd rather take the bandwidth hit and have accurate images to work with, than faster loading with added compression. Kind of defeats the purpose of such comparisons otherwise.
Outside of semantics, there is no reason to use PNGs if JPGs are done properly. DFs could be better (if you're reading this D10) but there is no need for PNGs.

nib95

Banned
Outside of semantics, there is no reason to use PNGs if JPGs are done properly. DFs could be better (if you're reading this D10) but there is no need for PNGs.

Those JPEG's are pretty effective, better than DF's, though the comparison images he used aren't the best. I'd like to see the same comparisons with other games with more visual noise and detail. For some reason his Rayman JPEG example is coming out a different RGB level to the PNG one, so it's harder to compare.

I'll be double dipping on the PC version during the Winter sale.
But I had to have my MGO fix next month so I got the PS4 version first.

Jedi2016

Mobile? Image quality means fuck all on mobile. Screen's too small to make out detail regardless of compression. Yes, yes, I know.. high-res screens and all. My phone's screen is higher-res than my monitor, but I don't even think of using it to look at DF comparisons, because it's only 5" across.

viHuGi

Banned
Game looks insane on Ps4 and to think this is 60fps... imagine what they could have done at 30fps.

Anyway one thing that still sucks on Open World Games are draw distances, when you look with your binoculares in MGS V or even when you zoom the city in Batman it gets blury and distorced things that are too far away, hardware limitations i guess...

PS4 version is fucking incredible with the exception of shadow filtering, that would really make a big difference with the PC version and improve the flickering.

Sadly I can't trade my surround sound experience for it.

derExperte

Freeze framing and zooming in on specific things is one thing. When i compared pics between PS4 and PC as is on a 60" TV the PC still looked better yes, but it's not as great as people make it seem and it's definitely not a lesser experience on the consoles.

That last pic is maxed out at 4K. Not really a fair comparison. Even so, all i see is a LOD issue. Those lights are there too on PS4.

Unfair, lol. What you're actually saying is that everything but PC is absolutely a lesser experience, you just don't really care about all the differences. He does though and they are objectively there. This is a tech comparison thread, if everyone could just argue about what they claim to notice during gameplay we'd never get anywhere.

On Demand

Banned
Unfair, lol. What you're actually saying is that everything but PC is absolutely a lesser experience, you just don't really care about all the differences. He does though and they are objectively there. This is a tech comparison thread, if everyone could just argue about what they claim to notice during gameplay we'd never get anywhere.

Uhhh......No. The point is he claims the game is "a lesser experience" on consoles. Minor technical differences don't make that true.

Uhhh......No. The point is he claims the game is "a lesser experience" on consoles. Minor technical differences don't make that true.

You can't really speak for everyone on this. It's in the eye of the beholder. And saying that 4K comparison is unfair doesn't make sense.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Why do people want PNGs? They are horribly inefficient for photos. High quality JPGs are indiscernible from PNGs in these cases. You might as well ask for RAW or Bitmap images if you want the most bit-accurate files for some reason.

Durante

Why don't Eurogamer use a graphics debugger for their analysis ?
The way you get clicks (and thus money) by doing graphical comparisons is either by putting the differences between platforms front and center (e.g. DF) or playing towards a specific established audience (e.g. NXGamer). It's all about platform wars.

Whether or not you go in deep and figure out the actual facts and reasons behind them is of no interest to 95% of your potential target audience -- and you can only really do that on PC anyway.

Actually, technical differences in favor of platform A over B do make B "lesser" than A in a technical comparison. By definition.

Why do people want PNGs? They are horribly inefficient for photos. High quality JPGs are indiscernible from PNGs in these cases. You might as well ask for RAW or Bitmap images if you want the most bit-accurate files for some reason.
Actually, asking for a raw or bitmap would be stupid, since a PNG (being lossless) is exactly as "bit-accurate" at a smaller size.

c0de

Eh, because png means lossless compression?

Chobel

Sorry for the late response. No I'm not intending to skip the game entirely. I'll just be buying it for PS4 instead. I have both consoles, but often buy multiplats on X1 so long as the visual differences aren't pronounced enough for me to care (900p isn't something I tend to care about). The visual difference just happens to be enough for me to care about here.

I'm not saying "Fuck Konami" or anything here lol. Just that Fox Engine stuff so far has definitely favoured the PS4 moreso than most games on other engines have. If I only had an X1, I'd still buy it for that.

My bad then.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Freeze framing and zooming in on specific things is one thing. When i compared pics between PS4 and PC as is on a 60" TV the PC still looked better yes, but it's not as great as people make it seem and it's definitely not a lesser experience on the consoles.

That last pic is maxed out at 4K. Not really a fair comparison. Even so, all i see is a LOD issue. Those lights are there too on PS4.

The game is toned down a little in certain areas vs PC, how does that translate into a lesser experience? Those compromises are not big enough apparently since when playing i don't notice them.

The last gen versions are more affected.

When scrutinising it can seem that way, actually playing the game is a different story. I wouldn't call an open world game at 1080p/60 lesser.

Why is using higher res for this "not fair"? Easily downsampling this from 1440p on a midrange card (970) and not dropping frames at all.

Downsampling from 4k seems like it would be totally doable with modern enthusiast cards.

xig6dZ5.png

this is tied to resolution. running this maxed out at 900p on my pc and i get the same problem.

thelastword

Banned
Wait a 750Ti is enough to match PS4 level at 60 locked?

Dat i3/750ti combo. Dominating still.

I'm happy to see the 750ti still doing its thing.

How exactly do you guys know this, where is the proof DF presented to substantiate any of the claims they made? They said the 750ti is locked at 60fps, where is the video?

So I guess the core 750ti is no longer the reference, it now has to be overclocked by +400 on memory to match the PS4, can the PS4's gpu be overclocked too? It's always silly that people always take people's word as fact without any corroboration, I guess it certainly suits their agenda.

In any case, here's a video of the i3/750ti running the game at 1080p. Around the 1:04 minute mark he drops the majority of his settings to high and he's only able to get the game running at low 50fps to mid 40's. He was only able to maintain 60fps at 900p in the video, still with drops to 59.3fps which would register as 59fps on DF's frame videos.

Let me just say, he is using the MSI twin frozr 750ti, I have one of those myself and it comes already overclocked from the factory. Apart from that, his card is overclocked further since his core speed is much higher than mine, so put that into perspective. Beyond all that, Santiago admits that in order to run this game at 1080p with a solid 60fps you need to have all settings on high whilst disabling Motion Blur. That's with his over-over-clocked card.

So if his card can't match, yet, farless outdo a PS4 at a solid 60fps, how comes DF's magical +400 memory boost is such a beast, when he has a superior overclock over theirs? SMH....

Are DF threads more and more about word of mouth.....evidence and proving things means nothing. DF can say whatever they want and it would be gospel to some.

The PC version was always going to be superior, but I don't think its anywhere near as superior to the PS4 version as people are making it out to be. This isn't the same sort of gulf we saw between say, Witcher 3 on PC compared to consoles.
Witcher 3 was a botched job on the consoles, this is a well done open world game, the proof is in the pudding.....

ps3ud0

The way you get clicks (and thus money) by doing graphical comparisons is either by putting the differences between platforms front and center (e.g. DF) or playing towards a specific established audience (e.g. NXGamer). It's all about platform wars.

Whether or not you go in deep and figure out the actual facts and reasons behind them is of no interest to 95% of your potential target audience -- and you can only really do that on PC anyway.
So true, but so disappointing that educating the masses (including myself) just isn't of interest to their agenda. I do miss the older DF articles that seemed to go into more detail...

ps3ud0 8)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Definitely a great looking and performing game on all platforms, though I attribute a lot of that to the general simplicity of geometry, landscapes, and scene detail. I maintain the belief that much of the game is evidently shackled by last generation constraints, with much of the current generation headroom used to extend the draw distance, lighting complexity, shadow detail, and improve character/object details. I also think that like The Witcher 3 the overall image falters pretty significantly at night compared to day when the overall image can look quite flat and barren. Even playing maxed out at 1440p with HBAO+ on PC it's not too hard to find vistas and scenes, with the right lighting, that look decidedly dated.

But under the right lighting the game looks gorgeous. Smart economic use of assets backed by a wonderful lighting solution. And I really think that irrespective of differences the console crowd are appreciating the fact the game manages to render large draw distances and runs at 60fps.

I'm not sure if it's touched on in the article, but I also think KojiPro should be applauded for sensibly prioritising essential asset rendering distance over pretty much everything else. Similarly with Nintendo and the Zelda series (where it's far l less essential, mind you), pop-in in MGSV is mostly reserved for lower priority assets like grass, rocks, and trees. Enemy camps, vehicles, machine guns, and AI/NPCs are rendered pretty much perfectly over distance to maintain balanced game design. Which is fantastic to see after the smaller environment in Ground Zeroes suffered NPC and asset pop-in.

Arulan

And here I thought "console optimization" meant that you had to have stronger hardware on PC to get the same results as consoles.

There are certainly advantages to fixed hardware, but the myth of "console optimization" is some of the greatest garbage propagated by console warriors. I would think that now that we're coming on two years from the launch of these platforms, and the several performance analysis since their launch, that the misinformation would stop. To be clear, I'm not implying that you're spreading it.

Tagyhag

There are certainly advantages to fixed hardware, but the myth of "console optimization" is some of the greatest garbage propagated by console warriors. I would think that now that we're coming on two years from the launch of these platforms, and the several performance analysis since their launch, that the misinformation would stop. To be clear, I'm not implying that you're spreading it.

Woah wait what? Console optimization is a real thing.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
How exactly do you guys know this, where is the proof DF presented to substantiate any of the claims they made? They said the 750ti is locked at 60fps, where is the video?

So I guess the core 750ti is no longer the reference, it now has to be overclocked by +400 on memory to match the PS4, can the PS4's gpu be overclocked too? It's always silly that people always take people's word as fact without any corroboration, I guess it certainly suits their agenda.

In any case, here's a video of the i3/750ti running the game at 1080p. Around the 1:04 minute mark he drops the majority of his settings to high and he's only able to get the game running at low 50fps to mid 40's. He was only able to maintain 60fps at 900p in the video, still with drops to 59.3fps which would register as 59fps on DF's frame videos.

Let me just say, he is using the MSI twin frozr 750ti, I have one of those myself and it comes already overclocked from the factory. Apart from that, his card is overclocked further since his core speed is much higher than mine, so put that into perspective. Beyond all that, Santiago admits that in order to run this game at 1080p with a solid 60fps you need to have all settings on high whilst disabling Motion Blur. That's with his over-over-clocked card.

So if his card can't match, yet, farless outdo a PS4 at a solid 60fps, how comes DF's magical +400 memory boost is such a beast, when he has a superior overclock over theirs? SMH....

Are DF threads more and more about word of mouth.....evidence and proving things means nothing. DF can say whatever they want and it would be gospel to some.

Witcher 3 was a botched job on the consoles, this is a well done open world game, the proof is in the pudding.....

First of all, I'm curious what you think people's agendas are here? And second of all, what reason does DF have to lie here? Do you think they're getting kickbacks from someone for shilling the PC version? Lmao.

The comparison images speak for themselves.

Freiya

I'm disappointed that Konami didn't do more with the 100% power gap between my 970 and the console releases.

This sums up how I feel. I'm shocked people think the pc version looks so much better. This game honestly just doesn't look that great graphically to me, especially on pc. Sure the pc port runs great but damn it sure doesn't look much different than the console versions.

Kinthalis

Banned

Lol,

Yeah you're right, it's all a vast conspiracy by the Nvidia marketing illumitati - to get you to buy 750ti's! Look, they've already got you!!!! Runaway!!!

Considering MGSV has draw distance BELOW the lowest PC setting,...

Haha, come on. The PC version looks great but in no way is it a "lesser experience" on consoles. More so for PS4.

The difference between maxed out on PC compared to PS4 is bigger than PS4 to Xbone.

edit: Nevermind, I see you have your mind made up regardless of what's in front of you.

The game is toned down a little in certain areas vs PC, how does that translate into a lesser experience? Those compromises are not big enough apparently since when playing i don't notice them.

The last gen versions are more affected.

When scrutinising it can seem that way, actually playing the game is a different story. I wouldn't call an open world game at 1080p/60 lesser.

I'm playing at 1440p/90fps, on a 1440p monitor, and it looks great, especially compared to 1080p.

bilderberg

I've got the pc to max this at 60 frames, but I'm sure MGO will be much more heavily populated on ps4. I also want to play with a controller and playing on pc pretty much eliminates that option if you want to be competitive.

I've got the pc to max this at 60 frames, but I'm sure MGO will be much more heavily populated on ps4. I also want to play with a controller and playing on pc pretty much eliminates that option if you want to be competitive.

That's more than fair I'd say. Though, I'd bet more people are playing this on PC with a controller than not. That said, I've yet to use a controller in the 45 hours or so that I've played so I don't know. It just seems like a game most would want to play with a controller.

FLAguy954

I was always looking into the distance on that one, didn't even look at the stark contrast between shadows right next to Snake.

Targeting 60 FPS in an open-world game on consoles should be commended, even though I'm selfish and would prefer them to target 30 FPS for fidelity reasons.

Fox Engine is magical.

This is the perk of PC gaming, the options to run at a range of resolutions and frame rates of your choosing. For instance, you bet your ass that I'll be running this @ UHD/30 fps with my 290 when I get my hands on this game (surprisingly this game locks to 30 fps with very even frame times and it looks amazing in UHD).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Knowing some people seem to enjoy texture sharpening filters and strong contrasts it wouldn't surprise me if someone said the Xbone pic was better :lol

Judging by the other thread a lot of Xbox fans think that concrete orange peel skin looks more realistic.

As someone who just put 55h into the PS4 version and finished it there, I decided to get it on PC

This is my rig:
i5 4590
8gb RAM
GTX 750 Ti 2GB w/ overclock

At these settings (higher than PS4):
I get a near perfect 1080/60. If I drop model detail to Medium (still higher than the console's low) I get locked 60fps during gameplay (2-3 frame dips during heavy alpha scenes during cutscenes).

I mean, the texturing filtering setting alone already makes it a huge improvement over the PS4 version but it is noticeably sharper + with longer draw distance. I'm not trying to be PC master race or anything because the PS4 version is awesome and I'm primarily a console gamer but DF is certainly not pushing some "budget PC > PS4" narrative - this just happens to be the case for this game.

Also of note, this overclock was incredibly easy (literally just install Afterburner) and I did not mess with voltage or anything, ONLY core + memory clocks.

Top Bottom