• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Recommendation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecrofirt

I love metal and everything, but they suck.

edit:
I'll clarify. Their guitar and stuff is pretty good, but the singer sounds like shit. Totally ruins it,

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Personally, I think Flaw is a good band. If you havent listened to them, i suggest you get an album of theirs.

tt_deeb

Ecrofirt said:
I'll clarify. Their guitar and stuff is pretty good, but the singer sounds like shit. Totally ruins it,

Yeah, I can't stand the vocals of almost any metal band - it all seems overexagerrated. That's why I should probably just stick with instrumental bands. Gordian Knot - someone on here sent me some songs - they are pretty good.

Ethereal Collapse is meh as a whole. Music is uninteresting and cliche compared to all of the other hardcore - whatever you want to call it - bands. My local scene is mostly the same thing.

Actually I like the solo in the first track.

Ecrofirt

Some reccomendations from my personal vault:

Black Sabbath
Black Label Society
Blind Guardian
Dio
Dream Evil
Edguy
Firewind
Hammerfall
Manowar
Ozzy Osbourne

Ecrofirt said:
Some reccomendations from my personal vault:

Manowar

manowar.jpg

Manowar are freaking awesome.

Listen to the slow part of Warriors of the World (at about 3:48, listen from about 3:20 though) if you doubt it for even a second!

radioheadrule83 said:
Manowar are freaking awesome.

Listen to the slow part of Warriors of the World (at about 3:48, listen from about 3:20 though) if you doubt it for even a second!

I'm not really a fan of power metal. I'm a death and thrash metal man.

Anyways, check out this awesome song by Bloodbath

moist

I've heard of the Winds but i haven't heard them. All I know is that Hellhammer(from Mayhem) is the drummer so at least that aspect of the music should be good.

the clips aren't working for me either :(

tt_deeb

morbidaza said:
Pain of Salvation. I'm tired of talking about this band because I feel like that's all I do, but nobody compares.

http://www.painofsalvation.com/samples.htm

You have to listen to all of them though...although I don't think the perfect element pt1 sample works.

I've only listened to the first few tracks. The music is kickass but I can't get into the vocals - especially the deep vocals in the first one. The high ones that come in occasionally (I assume a female) is better. It's a shame such good music is kind of ruined by the typical power metal vocals.

That Mordecai song is my style. Reminds me of The Locusts and Dillinger Escape Plan.

nitewulf

hardcore/thrashy stuff like dillinger escape plan isnt my thing. i love retro metal like DIO/iron maiden and melodious power metal and gothic metal.
but here are a few bands i really like:

retro:
manowar (despite their questionable choice of attire...they kick ass!)
dio
judas priest
iron maiden
the cult (genius!)

power:
falconer (my favorite easily)
dragonforce (sheer technical prowess)
sonata arctica (when you're feeling a bit cheesy)
edguy (get their debut album, kingdom of madness. metal doesnt get much better than that)
and obviously,
rhapsody

gothic:
HIM
Charon
Moi dix mois
After Forever
Type O Negative

i'd recommend God Forbid if you're into DEP, they are quite clever for a metal band.

yacobod

Banned
children of bodom - very melodic band with fantastic guitar and keyboard leads, but they feature black/death style vocals, so it might not be everybodys cup of tea, but i recommend them anyways cuz musically they rock. still they are more similar to power than death metal

iron maiden - powerslave, number of the beast, somewhere in time, seventh son, piece of mind, dance of death, so many awesome albums, prolly my all time favorite metal band

gamma ray - speed/power metal

manowar is pure cheese, so so so funny

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Gen.Wedge said:
ATREYU!

IBEminem :D

Also check out From Autumn To Ashes, another absolutely amazing band.

FUCK YOU. Jerk. I saw them last week too...fucking amazing. They actually played a genuine encore. Drummer had to ask for his sticks back from the crowd because he didn't have anymore...and the theater lights had to be turned back off, since they were turned on when the set was supposed to be finished. What'd they play for the encore? Their cover of Bon Jovi's You Give Love a Bad Name.
God was that awesome. And they played Ain't Love Grand. Great fucking concert.

But yes..Atreyu, Atreyu, and more Atreyu. Best guitar work I've ever heard in any band ever.

some others:
Fear Before the March of Flames(though not really hard enough to metal, i think. i dunno. fuck genres)
In Flames
Black Dahlia Murder
Dead to Fall
Children of Bodom
Opeth
Bury Your Dead

SD-Ness

Besides Opeth...I also like:

[Band - Favorite Albums]
Symphony X (Power) - The Odyssey
Dream Theater (Progressive) - Train of Though, Scenes from a Memory, Awake
Pagan's Mind (Power/Progressive) - Celestial Entrance
Planet X (Power/Progressive) - Moon Babies
Luca Turilli (Power) - King of Nordic Twilight
Helloween (Power) - Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt.1, Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt.2
Dark Moor (Power) - Gates of Oblivion
Megadeth (Thrash) - The System Has Failed (I'm not much into them, but I like this new album)
Rhapsody (Power) - Rain of a Thousand Flames
Blind Guardian (Power) - Nightfall in Middle-Earth

I mainly like power and progressive metal. I like clean (as in understandable, not growled) lyrics. Yes Opeth, a lot of the time, doesn't have clean lyrics - but they just rock anyway. I can stand their growled stuff.

power:
falconer (my favorite easily)
dragonforce (sheer technical prowess)
sonata arctica (when you're feeling a bit cheesy)
edguy (get their debut album, kingdom of madness. metal doesnt get much better than that)
and obviously,
rhapsody
Can you give me some songs to test for these bands?

falconer, dragonforce, sonata artica, and edguy

Megafoo Chavez

I love EGM
killswitch engage
machine head
alexisonfire
from autumn to ashes
if hope dies
the bled
the agony scene
shadows fall
on broken wings
it dies today

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
well since others have mentioned them, i also strongly recommend:
Symphony X
The Bled
Alexisonfire
Killswitch Engage

nitewulf

Zero said:
Can you give me some songs to test for these bands?

falconer, dragonforce, sonata artica, and edguy
yes,
Falconer - Heresy in Disguise, The Clarion Call, Royal Galley, Mind Traveller
Dragonforce - My Spirit Will Go On (free download from amazon.com), Fury of the Storm
Sonata Arctica - Weballergy, Victoria's Secret, Wolf and Raven
Edguy - Paradise, Wings of a Dream, Heart of Twilight (you'll notice these are the first three tracks off their debut album, which is just fantatsic throughout. but mind you, at this point they werent yet traditional "power" metal, it was more 80's style with fast drumming...which is what i like best) and Babylon, for their later sound.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
i would also recommend:

Amon Amarth
Finntroll
Kataklysm
Ensiferum
Thyrfing
Graveworm

and, if you are completley devastated, My Dying Bride.

ElyrionX

nitewulf said:
yes,
Dragonforce - My Spirit Will Go On (free download from amazon.com), Fury of the Storm
Edguy - Paradise, Wings of a Dream, Heart of Twilight (you'll notice these are the first three tracks off their debut album, which is just fantatsic throughout. but mind you, at this point they werent yet traditional "power" metal, it was more 80's style with fast drumming...which is what i like best) and Babylon, for their later sound.

Agree with most of your choices but I like some of mine better:

Falconer - A Quest For The Crown, Upon The Grave of Guilt
Sonata Arctica - My Land, Replica
Edguy - Scarlet Rose (one of the most amazing metal ballad ever!), Mysteria, The Piper Never Dies

Oh and if you like the stuff listed above, definitely check out Kamelot's Epica and Heavenly's Dust to Dust.

ElyrionX

Zero said:
I mainly like power and progressive metal. I like clean (as in understandable, not growled) lyrics. Yes Opeth, a lot of the time, doesn't have clean lyrics - but they just rock anyway. I can stand their growled stuff.

If that's the case, you're going to love what me and nitewulf recommended. I have some more recommendations though:

(I'm listing individual songs, not albums)
Kamelot - Glory, The Fourth Legacy, Center of the Universe, III Ways to Epica (you like "clean lyrics? You're gonna love the vocalist of this band)
Heavenly - Evil, Victory (Creature of the Night), ....Dust to Dust
Avantasia - The Seven Angels (14 minutes of the most epic stuff you will ever hear)

Outlaw

Banned
My sister has a bunch of Metal; some of my favorites are:

Blind Guardian
Kamelot -Epica-
Nightwish
Children of Bodom *Everyone should listen to these guys*
Haggard
Within Temptation *not really metal but goth*
Edenbridge *same as above*
Epica
After Forever
Tristania
Apocalyptica
Rhapsody

And shame to all of you for not mentioning Stratovarius!!! Yeah, try Stratovarius.

Megadeth

Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? (remaster)
So Far, So Good... So What! (remaster)
Rust In Peace (get the original if you can, if you can't, buy the remaster and download the original versions of "Take No Prisoners", "Five Magics", and "Lucretia", and burn them over the remastered tracks... you'll have the best of both worlds!)
Countdown to Extinction (remaster)
Youthanasia (remaster)

DO NOT BUY Cryptic Writings, RISK, The World Needs A Hero, or The System Has Failed. Those albums are Megadeth waaay past their prime, and are full of shoddy tracks. You'd be VERY hard pressed to find a single bad track on ANY of the first 5 albums I mentioned, however.

BTW, if you already own the original So Far, So Good... you should buy the remaster. It's awesome. Beware, though, some of the songs sound completely different.

tt_deeb said:
I've only listened to the first few tracks. The music is kickass but I can't get into the vocals - especially the deep vocals in the first one. The high ones that come in occasionally (I assume a female) is better. It's a shame such good music is kind of ruined by the typical power metal vocals.

That Mordecai song is my style. Reminds me of The Locusts and Dillinger Escape Plan.

The vocals take a bit of time for some, but given enough time you'll love them, I guarantee it. Daniel Gildenlow has both an amazing range, and a huge amount of variety in his voice. He's a vocal chameleon. Their music has to be heard in context of the albums though. I'd reccomend remedy lane or The Perfect Element to get started off on. All their albums are concept albums so the stories are a large part of their music.

fallout

Zero said:
"IAWTP" doesn't even cut it here. It's more like "ISFAWTP".

I remember the Deliverance album cover having a sticker on the packaging that said "Metal's most brilliant band." (I think it was a quote from Kerrang) and I'm yet to find a better one-line way to describe them. They're all technically proficient musicians, but they also compliment each other in so many ways. Lindgren and Åkerfeldt both function as extremely good lead/rhythm guitarists, and trade off where need be. And it's not just the technical proficiency that's astounding, but the shear emotion than goes into any one of their pieces. As a quick example, Åkerfeldt's vocals are stunning alone. For someone who has such a powerful metal growl, he also has one of the most beautiful singing voices I've ever heard. It can haunting at times.

Hell, these guys don't even practice before recording. They say it's because they always run out of time, but it's just another little tidbit that showcases their talents. Just imagine this. A band goes and writes a 10 minute song, then they all get together, do one or two takes and they're done. How often do you think that's going to turn out well? Not only that, but these guys do it all the bloody time, heh.

I used to complain about the fact that the band used a lot of overdubbing in their albums. It wasn't a major complaint, as the acoustic guitar in the background of a blaring riff can send shivers down your spine. Also, I couldn't really see them tossing guitars around midway through songs that much, it'd be impossible. In fact, I really only complained because I was worried that with that much overdubbing, there would be problems with live performances. I probably should've smacked myself, but Opeth did it for me. Listening to them play live is just incredible. They used these incredibly clean sounding electric guitars for the acoustic parts and had no problem shifting gears whatsoever. The music still maintained the quality that the albums have, but with the added live energy that any great metal band should exuberate.

So there, I've just given a few reasons why Opeth is such a brilliant band, yet I've barely even talked about the music, let alone get into any of their songs.

tt_deeb

fallout said:

I remember the Deliverance album cover having a sticker on the packaging that said "Metal's most brilliant band." (I think it was a quote from Kerrang) and I'm yet to find a better one-line way to describe them. They're all technically proficient musicians, but they also compliment each other in so many ways. Lindgren and Åkerfeldt both function as extremely good lead/rhythm guitarists, and trade off where need be. And it's not just the technical proficiency that's astounding, but the shear emotion than goes into any one of their pieces. As a quick example, Åkerfeldt's vocals are stunning alone. For someone who has such a powerful metal growl, he also has one of the most beautiful singing voices I've ever heard. It can haunting at times.

Hell, these guys don't even practice before recording. They say it's because they always run out of time, but it's just another little tidbit that showcases their talents. Just imagine this. A band goes and writes a 10 minute song, then they all get together, do one or two takes and they're done. How often do you think that's going to turn out well? Not only that, but these guys do it all the bloody time, heh.

I used to complain about the fact that the band used a lot of overdubbing in their albums. It wasn't a major complaint, as the acoustic guitar in the background of a blaring riff can send shivers down your spine. Also, I couldn't really see them tossing guitars around midway through songs that much, it'd be impossible. In fact, I really only complained because I was worried that with that much overdubbing, there would be problems with live performances. I probably should've smacked myself, but Opeth did it for me. Listening to them play live is just incredible. They used these incredibly clean sounding electric guitars for the acoustic parts and had no problem shifting gears whatsoever. The music still maintained the quality that the albums have, but with the added live energy that any great metal band should exuberate.

So there, I've just given a few reasons why Opeth is such a brilliant band, yet I've barely even talked about the music, let alone get into any of their songs.

I own "Deliverance" and "Damnation," what should I get next?

fallout

I own "Deliverance" and "Damnation," what should I get next?
Morningrise is probably their most critically acclaimed piece of work. If you took a vote from every Opeth fan on Earth, it'd most likely come out on top. Personally, I enjoy Still Life the most, just because it really has some of their best acoustic compliments. Not to say their best acoustic work, but the best acoustic work that compliments the metal side of it. Blackwater Park (my first Opeth album admittedly) is also great at this, but maybe not to the same extent.

MAYH has a really interesting theme running through it (they all seem to be concept albums in one form or another). Each song is kind of forshadowed before the next. It's also got some really catchy stuff and it's a little strange to hear yourself humming the songs, heh. I'd say that the album as a whole flows together better than the rest. Orchid is quality as well, but I haven't listened to it in awhile.

Fuck, you know what? If you enjoyed Deliverance/Damnation just buy them all. Heh, seriously though, I'd probably recommend Blackwater Park or Still Life to you. Probably just because they're pretty close to some of the stuff in Deliverance in terms of how it feels to your ear. The lineups prior to that were different as well. The three albums released prior to Still Life, were a little hard to find (got the remastered version with the ... odd demo tracks at the end), but I think you can find them if you look hard enough.

For reference, the albums go chronologically as follows.

Orchid
Morningrise
My Arms, Your Hearse
Still Life
Blackwater Park
Deliverance
Damnation

Anyway, I would probably consider Deliverance and Damnation to be their weakest. I still love them, and I think it was excellent to see how the idea of doing two polar opposite records (highlighting the band's extremes') would work out. Both albums stand alone as being great, but while it's not really fair to critique the albums for missing their opposite parts, as their clear intent was to be written and produced without those opposite parts, they do sometimes lack some of the progression that Opeth is known for.

I don't want anyone who reads this to get the idea that I didn't like the albums. If you were to put both albums together, you'd probably get another standard Opeth album ... which wouldn't be a bad thing, but a change every now and then is always good.

tt_deeb

I do plan on eventually buying them all just wanted to choose one for Christmas since my list is getting too long as it is.

fallout

Oh, I also forgot to mention the live DVD Lamentations.

They basically play through all of Damnation in the first set then as Åkerfeldt puts it, they get into some of the more ... heavier stuff for the second set. Unfortunately, the heavier stuff doesn't go past Blackwater Park, but it's still great to hear anyway. They've also got a documentary on the making of Deliverance/Damnation, which is pretty interesting.

Regardless, buy some more CDs first, heh.

Mainline

fallout said:
Morningrise is probably their most critically acclaimed piece of work. If you took a vote from every Opeth fan on Earth, it'd most likely come out on top. Personally, I enjoy Still Life the most, just because it really has some of their best acoustic compliments. Not to say their best acoustic work, but the best acoustic work that compliments the metal side of it. Blackwater Park (my first Opeth album admittedly) is also great at this, but maybe not to the same extent.

MAYH has a really interesting theme running through it (they all seem to be concept albums in one form or another). Each song is kind of forshadowed before the next. It's also got some really catchy stuff and it's a little strange to hear yourself humming the songs, heh. I'd say that the album as a whole flows together better than the rest. Orchid is quality as well, but I haven't listened to it in awhile.

Fuck, you know what? If you enjoyed Deliverance/Damnation just buy them all. Heh, seriously though, I'd probably recommend Blackwater Park or Still Life to you. Probably just because they're pretty close to some of the stuff in Deliverance in terms of how it feels to your ear. The lineups prior to that were different as well. The three albums released prior to Still Life, were a little hard to find (got the remastered version with the ... odd demo tracks at the end), but I think you can find them if you look hard enough.

For reference, the albums go chronologically as follows.

Orchid
Morningrise
My Arms, Your Hearse
Still Life
Blackwater Park
Deliverance
Damnation

Anyway, I would probably consider Deliverance and Damnation to be their weakest. I still love them, and I think it was excellent to see how the idea of doing two polar opposite records (highlighting the band's extremes') would work out. Both albums stand alone as being great, but while it's not really fair to critique the albums for missing their opposite parts, as their clear intent was to be written and produced without those opposite parts, they do sometimes lack some of the progression that Opeth is known for.

I don't want anyone who reads this to get the idea that I didn't like the albums. If you were to put both albums together, you'd probably get another standard Opeth album ... which wouldn't be a bad thing, but a change every now and then is always good.

I 100% agree, I would personally recommend Blackwater Park, just because it's my favorite Opeth album, but you can't really go wrong picking up any of them, they are all fantastic.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
and since no one else mentioned them, and they totally kick all kinds of ass: At The Gates

fucking awesome swedish metal band.

SD-Ness

yes,
Agree with most of your choices but I like some of mine better:

Falconer - A Quest For The Crown, Upon The Grave of Guilt
Sonata Arctica - My Land, Replica
Edguy - Scarlet Rose (one of the most amazing metal ballad ever!), Mysteria, The Piper Never Dies

Oh and if you like the stuff listed above, definitely check out Kamelot's Epica and Heavenly's Dust to Dust.
If that's the case, you're going to love what me and nitewulf recommended. I have some more recommendations though:

(I'm listing individual songs, not albums)
Kamelot - Glory, The Fourth Legacy, Center of the Universe, III Ways to Epica (you like "clean lyrics? You're gonna love the vocalist of this band)
Heavenly - Evil, Victory (Creature of the Night), ....Dust to Dust
Avantasia - The Seven Angels (14 minutes of the most epic stuff you will ever hear)
SWEET!!! I'm excited to hear this stuff. Thanks.

\w/

The track "Benighted" is pure ecstasy.

Oh, I also forgot to mention the live DVD Lamentations.

They basically play through all of Damnation in the first set then as Åkerfeldt puts it, they get into some of the more ... heavier stuff for the second set. Unfortunately, the heavier stuff doesn't go past Blackwater Park, but it's still great to hear anyway. They've also got a documentary on the making of Deliverance/Damnation, which is pretty interesting.

Regardless, buy some more CDs first, heh.
Yeah, I'm buying this for Christmas. I love Damnation so it'll be great. I wish they'd do another Damnation-like album, but Åkerfeldt says they don't want to.

and since no one else mentioned them, and they totally kick all kinds of ass: At The Gates

What're they similiar to?

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Zero said:
What're they similiar to?

I'd say In Flames, maybe Arch Enemy, some Opeth, some Cradle of Filth.

Screaming, very melodic, lots of good guitar work.

If you wanna try a few tracks i recommend: Cold, Slaughter of the Soul, Blinded By Fear

Eminem said:

Most definitely. Arguably, the best of the melodic death metallers. Too bad they split up after Slaughter of the Soul. I see why they'd do it though, they couldn't have possibly topped that one.

tt_deeb

Eminem said:
I'd say In Flames, maybe Arch Enemy, some Opeth, some Cradle of Filth.

That's only 2/4 since I can't take Cradle of Filth or Arch Enemy seriously if a gun was put to my head.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
tt_deeb said:
That's only 2/4 since I can't take Cradle of Filth or Arch Enemy seriously if a gun was put to my head.

:lol :lol
I'm not really a fan of either. Especially Arch Enemy. Bleh

SD-Ness

1/4 for me. I dislike all of them besides Opeth. >_>

But this At the Gates stuff I'm liking so far. I'm listening to Slaughter of the Soul.

When you say "melodic" -- what do you mean?

"Melodic" reminds me of like...Miles Davis, hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom