• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Record Players!

AJUMP23

Some of you have a vast knowledge of records and the best players. I am thinking of getting one and was wondering if there is one you would recommend.

My own preference, I like Audio Technica equipment, and use their headphones and other devices. I just need something that is entry level, and I can tell my wife to get me for Christmas. I have an audiophile sound system. Yamaha receiver. Martin Logan speakers.

Thanks for your inputs.

Winter John

Gold Member
You could get a Rega P1, or even a Reloop MK7. They're both fine, capable players, but they're not Technics. Compared to Technics they're cheap, disgusting bullshit. If my wife got me a Rega for Xmas instead of some Technics, I would take it as a personal insult and push her in front of a truck.

You could get a Rega P1, or even a Reloop MK7. They're both fine, capable players, but they're not Technics. Compared to Technics they're cheap, disgusting bullshit. If my wife got me a Rega for Xmas instead of some Technics, I would take it as a personal insult and push her in front of a truck.
Loved me some Technics 1200's/1210's back in the day - you really had to wrestle with those little buggers when spinning the wheels of steel. I was going to come here and suggest either/or as an option, although they're pretty expensive for just spinning a tune at home (mind you I imagine they still retain their resale value pretty well...).

Billbofet

I started out with something very similar to this one:

It's still my daily driver for vinyl and has been an incredibly solid unit for me. For me, I always start out entry-level and once I truly engage in a hobby, that's when I upgrade since I know better what I want.
Vinyl is certainly a bunny hole and can end up being a real money vacuum, but no regrets from me at all!! My favorite part is tracking down records on my wishlist - like waiting in line for five hours on Record Store Day to secure my Frank Black - Teenage of the Year album.

Let us know what you end up with!!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I started out with something very similar to this one:

It's still my daily driver for vinyl and has been an incredibly solid unit for me. For me, I always start out entry-level and once I truly engage in a hobby, that's when I upgrade since I know better what I want.
Vinyl is certainly a bunny hole and can end up being a real money vacuum, but no regrets from me at all!! My favorite part is tracking down records on my wishlist - like waiting in line for five hours on Record Store Day to secure my Frank Black - Teenage of the Year album.

Let us know what you end up with!!
At LP120 here though I want to eventually get the Mofi Studiodeck.

AJUMP23 AJUMP23 if you get an AT LP60 it should do the trick for casual listening. If you want to go to the next level the AT LP120 allows you to try different cartridges and other things to improve sound quality.

There’s any number of reputable brands. Your preferences and budget will be the biggest deciding factor.

Crosley is widely hated in the audiophile community so I’d stay away from those unless you really don’t care or won’t use it much.

Top Bottom