• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Recommendation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewulf

cant stand melodic death metal. the melodic part is ususally good...but the death metal growling/screaming kills it.
my thoughts on cradle of filth = yeah pretty much.

The only melodic death metal I got into was early Theatre of Tragedy.....the cookie monster vocals suck, but the utterly captivating voice of Liv Kristine more than makes up for it. "Velvet Darkness They Fear" check it out......I always pull it out in the fall around Halloween time, good stuff.

Other than that, I'm a Judas Priest fan first and foremost.

My other favorites:

Twisted Sister
Savatage
Megadeth
Rammstein
White/Rob Zombie
Old school Ozzy
Overkill
The first four Danzig albums
Prong
Motorhead
Anthrax

Zero said:
1/4 for me. I dislike all of them besides Opeth. >_>

But this At the Gates stuff I'm liking so far. I'm listening to Slaughter of the Soul.

When you say "melodic" -- what do you mean?

"Melodic" reminds me of like...Miles Davis, hehe.

Listen to morbid angel and then listen to at the gates or soilwork or one of those bands. You'll spot the difference pretty quick.

thefit

But this At the Gates stuff I'm liking so far. I'm listening to Slaughter of the Soul.

Great choice keep going also listen to some Carcass: Swan song

Also try out Venom for some old school Black Metal

I've only got Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth.

Can someone suggest other good albums of theirs?

Pick these up in this order:

Imaginations From the Other Side
Somewhere Far Beyond
Tales From the Twilight World

Night At the Opera is supposed to be good as well, but I've never heard it. I think you may already have the best Blind Guardian album... but it's hard to choose between Nightfall and Imaginations.

ElyrionX

I have the Imaginations, Nightfall and Night at the Opera album.

Trust me. A Night at the Opera is the best of the bunch.

The song "And Then There Was Silence" is one heck of an epic track.

SD-Ness

A question about Opeth lyrics to "Demon of the Fall"...

Okay, so here are the normal lyrics to this song that I am familiar with. But here I've found something else, something completely different. What...?

fallout

Zero said:
A question about Opeth lyrics to "Demon of the Fall"...

Okay, so here are the normal lyrics to this song that I am familiar with. But here I've found something else, something completely different. What...?
Hahaha, dumbasses.

Alright, I mentioned this in my earlier post (not that I'd expect everyone to read it or anything), but MAYH has this running thing where the last word of each song leads into the title of the next song. Here's the track listing:

1. Prologue
2. April Ethereal
3. When
4. Madrigal
5. The Amen Corner
6. Demon of the Fall
7. Credence
8. Karma
9. Epilogue

So those are actually the lyrics to The Amen Corner, not DotF (which has one of my favourite little acoustic bits in it I might add, heh).

nitewulf

ElyrionX said:
Agree with most of your choices but I like some of mine better:

Falconer - A Quest For The Crown, Upon The Grave of Guilt
Sonata Arctica - My Land, Replica
Edguy - Scarlet Rose (one of the most amazing metal ballad ever!), Mysteria, The Piper Never Dies

Oh and if you like the stuff listed above, definitely check out Kamelot's Epica and Heavenly's Dust to Dust.
i have kamelot's epica, and yeah its damn good. ill check out heavenly.
did you try out nightwish? you seem to like epic metal, nightwish is very epic, in fact too operatic for me. but you might like em. the lead singer's voice is faaaaantastic though.

moist

Nile is the hot shit, I mean how can you hate a band with a song titled "Libation Unto the Shades Who Lurk in the Shadows of the Temple of Anhur "?

ElyrionX

nitewulf said:
i have kamelot's epica, and yeah its damn good. ill check out heavenly.
did you try out nightwish? you seem to like epic metal, nightwish is very epic, in fact too operatic for me. but you might like em. the lead singer's voice is faaaaantastic though.

Oh yeah, I have the 4-disc boxset of Nightwish (containing all 4 of their albums, except their latest "Once"). They're good but just not my style. A bit too operatic and too much focus on vocals. Not enough strong guitar solos as well.....

Brodequin

Outlaw said:
That's some nice brutal death metal :)

Thanks. :) Glad to see some death metal fans here. I saw Suffocation live last month. Near the best live performance I've seen, equal to Nile, and just behind Malevolent Creation. Malevolent first, just because they actually sounded equal to cd quality. Their live sound was amazing.

Going to see Slayer, Killswitch, and Mastodon next week. Add Metallica and Testament and I will have seen the big three thrash metal bands (imho sorry Megadeth and Anthrax fans).

DrM

Redmond's Baby
For all Blind Guardian fans :
I would also recommend their DVD, Imaginations Through The Looking Glass.

DVD 1 : 20 songs from Coburg Blind Guardian Festival 2003

1. War of Wrath
2. Time Stands Still
3. Banish From Sanctuary
4. Nightfall
5. The Script for my Requiem
6. Valhalla
7. A Past & Future Secret
8. Punishment Divine
9. Mordred's Song
10. The Last Candle
11. Bright Eyes
12. Lord Of The Rings
13. I'm Alive
14. Another Holy War
15. And Then There Was Silence
16. Somewhere Far Beyond
17. The Bard's Song (In The Forest)
18. Imaginations From The Other Side
19. And The Story Ends
20. Mirror Mirror

DVD 2 : Interview with BG, slideshow, making of 'The Blind Guardian Festival Coburg 2003' and 4 additional songs - Majesty (Wacken 2002), Into The Storm, Welcome to Dying and Lost in the Twilight Hall.

One word : Awesome

tt_deeb

Not really metal I guess but I've been really digging those spaz type bands like Locusts, Dillinger Escape Plan, Melt Banana and some Fantomas lately. I guess Mordecai would be considered that too. What else is there out there? I heard the Blood Brothers are sort of like that?

Vortac

I've been really enjoying Dark Moor. Their old singer (female) and new singer (male) are both awesome.

New album is coming next year.

Recommended tracks:

Dark Moor - Bane of Darnisky, the Werewolf
Dark Moor - From Hell

Might be an acquired taste? Spanish chorus chanting and bit of an accent, but definitely awesome and musically incredible.

SD-Ness

Vortac said:
I've been really enjoying Dark Moor. Their old singer (female) and new singer (male) are both awesome.

New album is coming next year.

Recommended tracks:

Dark Moor - Bane of Darnisky, the Werewolf
Dark Moor - From Hell

Might be an acquired taste? Spanish chorus chanting and bit of an accent, but definitely awesome and musically incredible.
ya, good stuff.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
oh shit, i completely forgot about Trivium. Popped them into my cd player today...fucking awesome stuff.

Really heavy and melodic, with singing vocals, good solos. A harder version of Atreyu perhaps.
Some tracks to get if you're interested: Falling to Grey, Requiem, Ember to Inferno, Pillars of Serpents

The choruses will be stuck in your head for days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom