• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033

WrikaWrek said:
Take that carrot out of your ass and stop being so uptight, and so vocal about stupid shit. Nobody gives a fuck that you are going to get the game on the PC, and that you are going to have a superior experience because of it.

And if you wanna let someone know that their computer can run a game just fine, just do it by saying "I don't think you have any reason to worry, your pc will handle the game just fine. If you aren't sure about it, try the demo when it comes out."

But no, social skills are so crazy out there, that a bunch of :lol :lol :lol hyperbole, fud, and nauseating superiority complex is used instead.

Fuck sakes. I'm getting the PC version, and i almost want to just get the damn 360 version and take a picture of me playing it on it, saying "Haters gonna hate"

Thanks for your D3OVerride thread though, that shit is the shit!!!!!!

So your issue is that I don't deliver my advice with sugarcoating and a couple of hugs and kisses? Really!? I always aim to be as precise, accurate and helpful as possible with my posts and that means cutting out all the frilly dressing. I've made this clear before and that aint going to change because it makes my posts less efficient and less accurate, and thus a less worthwile contribution. I personally believe taking the blinders off people is the nicest way to deliver them help, giving them fuzzy, perhaps innacurate advice instead, isn't really do them any favours now is it?

It doesn't even cross my mind that people would ever get upset when they hear technical reports that are counter to their previous beliefs. These are fucking videogame systems, you have no emotional attachment to them people, and someone will always have better hardware than you, learn to accept that, as I and any other reasonable person already has.

Draft

WrikaWrek said:
Take that carrot out of your ass and stop being so uptight, and so vocal about stupid shit. Nobody gives a fuck that you are going to get the game on the PC, and that you are going to have a superior experience because of it.

And if you wanna let someone know that their computer can run a game just fine, just do it by saying "I don't think you have any reason to worry, your pc will handle the game just fine. If you aren't sure about it, try the demo when it comes out."

But no, social skills are so crazy out there, that a bunch of :lol :lol :lol hyperbole, fud, and nauseating superiority complex is used instead.

Fuck sakes. I'm getting the PC version, and i almost want to just get the damn 360 version and take a picture of me playing it on it, saying "Haters gonna hate"

Thanks for your D3OVerride thread though, that shit is the shit!!!!!!
Another patented meltdown courtesy of the PCDF. PC Gaming wins again.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I think PC gaf wants to adopt this game as one of theirs.

Personally, I'm just happy that this game turned out to look good. The first trailer was absolutely abysmal.

Q8D3vil

brain_stew
thanks to your posts i just convinced my two friends with 8800gt & 9800gtx to buy it on pc

1 more friend left ( 9800 gt )

if only steam can do 4 users pack ( high doubt it since it's single player :( )

kamspy

WrikaWrek said:
Meltdown? About what. The issue isn't even mine.

I know where you're coming from. I'm buy anything I can on PC if I have a choice but you can only read the words "multisample anti aliasing" so many times on this forum before you want to start slowing making a hole in your head with a fork.

I love PC gaming. It was my first platform and is still my main platform. But ffs, the words "super sampling" and "ambient occlusion" made it into the Sonic Kart thread.

My PC runs multi-platform games better than the 360 visually, but 100% of the time I always go for the 360 version. Metro 2033 will be no different.

The console experience is just so much better. I have been playing Crysis on my PC this week with a 360 gamepad.

WrikaWrek

Banned
FirstInHell said:
My PC runs multi-platform games better than the 360 visually, but 100% of the time I always go for the 360 version. Metro 2033 will be no different.

The console experience is just so much better. I have been playing Crysis on my PC this week with a 360 gamepad.

Shot through the heart

BobsRevenge

FirstInHell said:
I heard about people doing this and it working out well. Well, I tried it and I was confused about how people came to the conclusion that Crysis is adequately playable on it when it actually removes the ability to do things. Useful things. I'm just honestly confused about why someone would willingly choose to play with a pad when a better method is not only there, but more convenient to use in the first place.

I mean, you can do it, but when I tried it wasn't as fun because I wasn't able to perform all the insanely badass shit that I was used to performing with any kind of fluidity. I did customize my M&KB controls quite a bit too, to get everything efficient and maximize my potential for badass-ness.

I think all the Crysis being surprisingly playable with a pad talk is bull. Then again, when I play Crysis, I fucking play Crysis.

BobsRevenge said:
I think all the Crysis being surprisingly playable with a pad talk is bull. Then again, when I play Crysis, I fucking play Crysis.

fist-bump.jpg

Damn fucking straight. Ive seen first hand a friend of mine playing it with a pad, and they were playing it like Call of Duty, simply ducking behind cover, and popping out shots now and then, then moving on when it was clear. Was painfull :(

panda21

isnt that just because you're used to playing it with a keyboard/mouse? i got used to playing games on consoles and going back to using WASD to move feels ridiculous, i can't understand how anyone could prefer it to an analogue stick.

except for games that need a ton of buttons i think the pad works out ok if you are used to it.

its also better for flight sims where you actually need two analogue sticks!

edit:
i meant kb/mouse :S yeah its just what you're used to

NIGHT-

panda21 said:
isnt that just because you're used to playing it with a gamepad? i got used to playing games on consoles and going back to using WASD to move feels ridiculous, i can't understand how anyone could prefer it to an analogue stick.

except for games that need a ton of buttons i think the pad works out ok if you are used to it.

I'm not sure. I've been a PC gamer most of my life. Played Quake 3 since it came out with ESDF but I just cant go back to mouse and keyboard, the 360 controller is just perfect imo( minus the shitty Dpad)

BobsRevenge

panda21 said:
isnt that just because you're used to playing it with a gamepad? i got used to playing games on consoles and going back to using WASD to move feels ridiculous, i can't understand how anyone could prefer it to an analogue stick.

Yeah, I mean, I have a 360 gamepad for a reason and I don't own a 360. I use it a lot for racing games or console ports that play awkwardly with a mouse, like the Tomb Raider games or something.

Crysis is one of those games that has a lot of buttons, and it also requires a lot of precision and speed when you're playing delta and trying to use all of the potential your powers give you. After trying it with a pad I think it's one of those games that just should not be played with one. I usually have nothing against playing with a pad, I mainly just want to put down the idea that Crysis supports playing with a pad well. It tries the best it can, I suppose, but in the end the game wasn't designed to be played with one.

Now, a game like MoH: Airborne where the analogue sticks actually add to the playability, I can fully understand playing it with a pad.

Aesius

I just beat Crysis and Warhead for the first time and used a 360 pad, and I tore shit up. Warhead mapped the controls better, because they changed iron sights to left trigger, but it was still fine even in Crysis.

I beat STALKER the weekend before, and my back and neck hurt after using the KB+Mouse. I used to be an adamant KB+Mouse kind of guy, but playing with a controller is way more comfortable for me.

Bi50N said:
Dmitry and I sat down with GameSpot UK last week, resulting in this huge two-part video interview, with new Xbox 360 direct feed.

Part I:

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/metro2033thelastrefuge/video/6252495/metro-2033-interview-2

Part II:

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/metro2033thelastrefuge/video/6252494/metro-2033-interview-1

Wow. The game still looks just as awesome running on the 360.

Even I don't know if my PC will handle this game and I have above optimal specs too. I think I may settle for the 360 as well.

It's amazing that whenever there is a PC vs 360 (not even consoles as a whole) you have the same people defend each side. Getting flashbacks of the Alan Wake thread now. All we need is that one 360 camp weirdo who would edit old posts to fit his current agenda.

Just play on what you're comfortable with. Brain_stew seems like he's trying to be helpful. If you don't care for the advice, don't take it. If you prefer to play it on the 360 regardless, then do it. It's all about enjoying entertainment anyway. Spreading fud or getting worked up isn't worth it.

anyway, the game is looking awesome.

kamspy

Stew is one of the most helpful members we have. My criticism probably included him, but in no way was it meant to downplay all the help he's given complete strangers here on GAF. He just needs a tag that says "8xMSAA, Super Sampling, Ambient Occlusion, 16xAF" so he won't have to add it to every post.;)

And yeah, Metro, almost here. :D

Any word on a demo? Hell, I'd settle for a benchmark.
hell, I would grovel, beg and pay money for a benchmark :/

dLMN8R

You guys are certifiably insane if you don't think that a dual-core CPU, 8800GT-ish, and 2GB of ram will be able to run this game at a level that will kick the utter living crap out of the 360 version.

Just like, you know, every other multiplatform game ever released.

I honestly refuse to believe that anyone bitching about these "optimum specs" is anything more than an ignorant troll.

Straight from the game's technology lead itself, those recommended settings will see you "max out" the game at 1680x1050 without trouble. With a 58xx or GTX 4XX card you'll be able to enable supersampling and still get playable framerates! :D

Ole said:
games.on.net: What are the system requirements to run the game at full detail for a PC user, everything turned on, at 1680 x 1050 resolution?

Olez: At that resolution, the last generation of high end hardware – a single GPU NVIDIA card - will suffice. The new generation of cards from ATI, and we’ve seen the new ones from NVIDIA too, they’re way more powerful. With these you can turn everything on, with image enhancing features such as Super Sampling of every surface and every texture. Everything will be more detailed with this – not just edges.

http://games.on.net/article/7836/Metro_2033_-_Technical_QA

Hate to say I told you so. Now will you all believe, me?

FirstInHell said:

Metro 2033 supports gamepads, achievements and is cheaper on PC.............

By all means spend your money how you like, though I don't see what a 360 version would ever gain you in this case, in others (particularly multiplayer titles) I can totally understand it.

kamspy said:
Stew is one of the most helpful members we have. My criticism probably included him, but in no way was it meant to downplay all the help he's given complete strangers here on GAF. He just needs a tag that says "8xMSAA, Super Sampling, Ambient Occlusion, 16xAF" so he won't have to add it to every post.;)

And yeah, Metro, almost here. :D

Any word on a demo? Hell, I'd settle for a benchmark.
hell, I would grovel, beg and pay money for a benchmark :/

Honestly, at this point I couldn't give a crap if the actual game is complete crap, looks worth buying as a technology demo alone! :lol

Also:

Ole said:
games.on.net: So if I go from a dual to quad core, what performance increase can I expect?

Olez: If you are not bottlenecked by the video card, we have linear scaling – so double the performance. This goes all the way up to eight and sixteen cores.

Wow, these guys seem to have an engine ready and primed for next generation already, perfect linear CPU scaling upto 16 cores!? That's just completely ridiculous and absolutely delicious at the same time, 4A certainly seem to have some clever engineers, its crazy how they're pushing industry leading technology and SMT work whilst working on a (comparatively) tiny budget. When the might Blizzard with all the resources in the world can't even manage perfect scaling across 2 cores, it really shows what an impressive achievement this is. Great graphics and technology don't have to cost the earth.

Salacious Crumb

brain_stew said:
4A certainly seem to have some clever engineers, its crazy how they're pushing industry leading technology and SMT work whilst working on a (comparatively) tiny budget.

Never underestimate the ingenuity of Russians.

adelante

720p version of the GamespotUK interview on youtube:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B4jwmatO98

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRigl09Zkb0

GameTrailers Black Station Developer Walkthrough:

Part 1: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/black-station-metro-2033/62467

Part 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/black-station-metro-2033/62469

Part 3: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/black-station-metro-2033/62471

I find it kinda disheartening seeing all this talk about the best IQ/framerate with nary a mention of how much attention to detail has been put towards making this game so visually fuckin rich. Maybe its just me getting too obsessed with how the developers have lovingly craft the setting and environments, and how this is a testament to the might of the 4A engine. You can see tunnel rats scurrying about and pushing boxes that're in their way (how many games have you seen random critters going through objects?). The lamp in your room casting animated specular effects on EVERY metallic surface nearby (every flickering lightsource seems to exhibit this behaviour). And I love how the living quarters that you start out in seems to be realistically lit ONLY by the lamps that you can see (it irks me every time when a developer place invisible/fake lightsources to set the mood of a level)...

Bi50N

adelante said:
And I love how the living quarters that you start out in seems to be realistically lit ONLY by the lamps that you can see (it irks me every time when a developer place invisible/fake lightsources to set the mood of a level)...

Every light source in Metro is dynamic...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BobsRevenge said:
I heard about people doing this and it working out well. Well, I tried it and I was confused about how people came to the conclusion that Crysis is adequately playable on it when it actually removes the ability to do things. Useful things. I'm just honestly confused about why someone would willingly choose to play with a pad when a better method is not only there, but more convenient to use in the first place.

I mean, you can do it, but when I tried it wasn't as fun because I wasn't able to perform all the insanely badass shit that I was used to performing with any kind of fluidity. I did customize my M&KB controls quite a bit too, to get everything efficient and maximize my potential for badass-ness.

I generally play FPS games with a gamepad, but I agree that Crysis just doesn't play well with a pad. It wasn't designed for it and it doesn't work well with it.

belvedere

Junior Butler
This game has me interested, that's for sure.

Adding this to the list of PC titles giving my rig it's much needed workout.

Dennis

Banned
I just watched all the videos posted a couple of posts above by adelante.

The hype (and other things) are steadly rising every time I see some new footage or screen from this game. The atmosphere seems absolutely fantastic.

The bullets as currency idea is just right up my alley. No stupidly unlimited ammo so you just spray bullets everywhere.

One of the most anticipated games for me right now, and it is just around the corner too.

Also, I don't want to tell people how to do their job (hi Bi50N) but this game really show how important it is for a new IP from an unknown developer, to get some postitive buzz going my releasing high qulity media like screenshots and videos.
I know for a fact that lots of gamers who never heard of Metro 2033 have been made aware of the game because of the response to the pics and gifs posted in this thread and other similar threads in other forums. This is really important to get the message out.

Developers shouldn't be afraid to talk with gamers about the technical/graphical aspects of their game - especially on PC, a lot of people are very interested in that stuff (yes, me).

adelante

Bi50N said:
Every light source in Metro is dynamic...
Yep, and that's what I love bt your engine :D Just finished watching that walkthrough and I think I saw all the torchlights that the enemies wield casting proper shadows in one of the firefights...pretty awesome (SC: Conviction doesn't even do this! hahaha)

Aesius

dark10x said:
I generally play FPS games with a gamepad, but I agree that Crysis just doesn't play well with a pad. It wasn't designed for it and it doesn't work well with it.

Just curious, but why do you think it plays so much worse? I played with a pad and easily popped in and out of Nanosuit powers on the fly. Did I miss something else that I could have been doing with KB+mouse? Pure ignorance here - I only played Crysis+Warhead with a 360 pad. I did have my keyboard sitting next to me for the occasional quick save/load moments though.

Aesius said:
Just curious, but why do you think it plays so much worse? I played with a pad and easily popped in and out of Nanosuit powers on the fly. Did I miss something else that I could have been doing with KB+mouse? Pure ignorance here - I only played Crysis+Warhead with a 360 pad. I did have my keyboard sitting next to me for the occasional quick save/load moments though.

you can just do things on the fly with the kb/M combo. i play cerrtain games with a pad too (devil may cry, batman, mercenaries 2)

BobsRevenge

Aesius said:
IIRC you can't lean or go prone, which is annoying because proning is a really useful way to not be seen while you're waiting for your suit to charge back up. I don't remember how firing rate is mapped, if at all. Things like that.

burgerdog

DennisK4 said:
Also, I don't want to tell people how to do their job (hi Bi50N) but this game really show how important it is for a new IP from an unknown developer, to get some postitive buzz going my releasing high qulity media like screenshots and videos.
I know for a fact that lots of gamers who never heard of Metro 2033 have been made aware of the game because of the response to the pics and gifs posted in this thread and other similar threads in other forums. This is really important to get the message out.

Developers shouldn't be afraid to talk with gamers about the technical/graphical aspects of their game - especially on PC, a lot of people are very interested in that stuff (yes, me).

Pretty much the only reason I know about this game is because of the first article Digital Foundry did on it. Before that I had seen the thread and always thought: wtf that game has a stupid ass name, never even entered the thread, or cared to see a video before that.

BobsRevenge

burgerdog said:
Pretty much the only reason I know about this game is because of the first article Digital Foundry did on it. Before that I had seen the thread and always thought: wtf that game has a stupid ass name, never even entered the thread, or cared to see a video before that.
This game used to look REALLY bad. I guess this brought it to my attention that it could actually end up well.

The graphics are insane at this point.

WrikaWrek

Banned
burgerdog said:

I don't understand this Digital Foundry thing. Searched on Google, says it's a video capture company?

Banned
Linkzg said:
Gametrailers has a 3 part video walkthrough of the 360 version (beta footage) and really does look incredible. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Riddick from last gen. It's a tight game about atmosphere and the visuals are ahead of what you expect from the system.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/black-station-metro-2033/62467
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/black-station-metro-2033/62469
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/black-station-metro-2033/62471

Wow.

Binabik15

Sweet Jesus. Both the last page and the game :D

I had only seen a few pics/gifs posted of this, but now I´ll buy after a few positive hands-on impressions from GAF. Scratch that, if it´s really that scalable and the 360 footage isn´t a bullvid I´ll buy it for ZOMGGraffigzzZ on my new pc alone. Pushing pc hardware is always good.

I just hope there´s a nice difficulty level for punishing player that aim for the legs like the walkthrough guy did. Oh, and replace the knife animation with Bad Company 2´s animation, sooogoood.gif

Okay, so I finally managed to watch the new Xbox 360 version walkthroughs and simply put, I'm stunned. Visually, the game looks mind-blowing, the atmosphere is amazing and there are stealth elements, which is something I always appreciate in first-person shooters. The enemy AI didn't seem like much, but I know games are always demonstrated on easier difficulty settings so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I was already interested in it, but now I'm completely sold.

EagleEyes

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Okay, so I finally managed to watch the new Xbox 360 version walkthroughs and simply put, I'm stunned. Visually, the game looks mind-blowing, the atmosphere is amazing and there are stealth elements, which is something I always appreciate in first-person shooters. The enemy AI didn't seem like much, but I know games are always demonstrated on easier difficulty settings so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I was already interested in it, but now I'm completely sold.
I agree wholeheartedly. This looks amazing even on the 360. Could both HD consoles release console exclusives on the same day that set new benchmarks for graphics. That would be insane.

Bi50N

So 'Black' level is one of our favourites - although it's unusual in that it's a pure 'gameplay' rather than 'narrative' driven level. We wanted to show it because it's a great example of the human combat dynamics, but it's really only one part of the game...

I must have played through this level 50 times now and am still finding new ways to tackle it. It actually reminds me of the GoldenEye / Perfect Dark stealth levels, in particular Facility and those two Siberian base levels.

There's an achievement for completing the level without killing anyone - but it is also possible to sneak through the entire level without ever being detected, and there are multiple paths you can take to do this. I've since started setting personal challenges - e.g. taking out every guard using only the throwing knife, or only using the hunting / melee knife, or shooting out every single light source...

Pretty much every human combat can be approached with stealth or brute force as you see fit...

kitch9

Banned
As an owner of a 5870 it is concerning me that Nvidia may have paid them to hardcode an if ATI hardware exists turn shit off switch into the game.

The are becoming fuckers for it.

Top Bottom