• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033

Rad-

Well based on what else he wrote in the review, the linearity doesn't really annoy him at all. The reviewer understands this is a story heavy game and linearity is a must for it. However he says there are people who won't like the structure.

WrikaWrek

Banned
The problem with putting linear and scripted as a -, is that then open and non linear should also be a -.

Only thing that you should judge is how well they fare in each kind of design. And as if...

Linear and scripted games are just as loved, and sell just as much, if not more than. It's weird to say it's a negative.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
It's still stupid putting linear and scripted as a negative for a game that is linear and scripted

I'm surprised he didn't give it a + for not being a basketball game or something.

Dennis

Banned
First review has me exicted - sounds good. I am generally not too interested in linearity any more.

All games should be open-world.

But I am pretty sure everything else about Metro 2033 is right up my alley.

Now I am almost afraid the game will be too terrifying to play. Gonna have to keep the lights on....:lol

Tokubetsu

DennisK4 said:
First review has me exicted - sounds good. I am generally not too interested in linearity any more.

Now I am almost afraid the game will be too terrifying to play. Gonna have to keep the lights on....:lol

What?

dLMN8R

"amazing game that surpassed my expectations, but the marketing and hype machine behind it disappointed. 8/10"

WrikaWrek

Banned
DennisK4 said:

What a terrible thing to say. All cars should be yellow, every movie should be an horror movie, every book should be a biography, every song should have a beat like Tik Tok etc

Feel you on that last point though.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I haven't read the review but I was hoping for something a bit more open ended.

Maybe not STALKER level open-ended but the option to choose our missions and let encounters play out as procedurally as possible. Hmm, maybe I did just describe STALKER.

What I don't want is COD in a tunnel.

Fingers crossed.

eshwaaz

The "resource stripped" part is the only aspect that concerns me. It's so easy to go too far with it and cross the line from tension to frustration.

markot

Banned
Rad- said:
Well based on what else he wrote in the review, the linearity doesn't really annoy him at all. The reviewer understands this is a story heavy game and linearity is a must for it. However he says there are people who won't like the structure.

So... then he should have put

- Is a FPS game
- Has Humans
- Everything in the infinity of the universe

You know, for people that dont like that stuff.

chespace said:
I haven't read the review but I was hoping for something a bit more open ended.

Maybe not STALKER level open-ended but the option to choose our missions and let encounters play out as procedurally as possible. Hmm, maybe I did just describe STALKER.

What I don't want is COD in a tunnel.

Fingers crossed.

I'd say watch the few walkthroughs they have.

To me it looks like the combat has options while the levels are linear. You see them talk about how you can play stealth, blow out all the lights, etc. or play it as a shooter. Other than that one seen they've shown that was literally on rails, it doesn't seem like a CoD type game where they shuffle down a path and tell you to shoot everything that pops up.

belvedere

Junior Butler
This game for me interest wise is a lot like Alan Wake.

Blown away at first, but the more I got to know it, see more about it, the less I like it.

I'll still give it a shot.

Fuck yeah, I love linear games!

I don't mind open world games, but give me a set (interesting) path in a game and I'm about 10 times more likely to complete it.

It's why Half-Life is right up there for me.

For some reason I am much more accepting of 'linear and scripted' when it comes to games like this with more interesting source material, or a sci fi or horror or alternate reality theme, where it is almost like a ride to a certain degree. However I don't appreciate that in modern military shooters (why I don't like Modern Warfare or Bad Company 2's campaign). I can't really explain why.

Not for the easily depressed?
What the fuck were they expecting?

It's fucking nuclear winter, there's mutants or something all over the damn place, everyone is living underground, W, T, F?

I'm very interested in this game. Looks pretty cool.

I love the mystery and atmosphere, which is why I loved Fallout 3.

But this looks like Fallout 3 with better shooting! :lol

So I'm interested!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Steam playing with my emotions right now

4410616440_f356ef1db4_o.jpg

hm...that steam preorder is tempting. But with the backlog i have i think i'll wait for next december's huge steam mega sale

Game is looking great though

Bi50N

dLMN8R said:
"amazing game that surpassed my expectations, but the marketing and hype machine behind it disappointed. 8/10"

:lol

Yeah, having read the actual text of the review and seen the kind of quotes a PR man would kill his own sister for, we were left scratching our heads at the score there.

Maybe it's a mis-print. Or maybe we should have called it Metro 2033: 2.

It's a brilliant review though...

After viewing some trailers I have become quite excited for this game. That reviewer mentions survival horror, which is a genre I really, really enjoy. Hopefully it can satisfy my cravings for a new horror game.

Rad- said:
360 Gamer UK reviewed the game:
I'm sorry *Not for the easily depressed* what kind of line is that to put into a review.... seriously if I had a subscripting to that mag I would cancel it right away.......
The rest is great news, I should have all my new pc parts by the time the game comes out!
Looking forward to the game VERY much

"Not for the easily depressed."

Yes, yes, yes! I love bleak and dreary. Can't wait. Gonna have to juggle FFXII, Pokemon, and this. God of War has been relegated to the backburner.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Bi50N said:

Yeah, having read the actual text of the review and seen the kind of quotes a PR man would kill his own sister for, we were left scratching our heads at the score there.

It's just how it is man. You gotta have hype to score those higher numbers. It's retarded.

Wessiej

Bi50N said:

So you are working on Metro 2033? Is the game going to be region-free? Just wanted to know so I can order it :D

Bi50N

Wessiej said:
So you are working on Metro 2033? Is the game going to be region-free? Just wanted to know so I can order it :D

I don't know the answer to that... my guess is 'not' as we're doing lots of specific regional language versions... But that's me guessing.

While you're here, Bi5on. Can you answer whether or not retail keys for Metro will activate on Steam? I have an employee discount on games. But if it's Steam-less, I'd rather pay the full price. Not that massive of a discount anyways.

Volcynika

Odious Tea said:
While you're here, Bi5on. Can you answer whether or not retail keys for Metro will activate on Steam? I have an employee discount on games. But if it's Steam-less, I'd rather pay the full price. Not that massive of a discount anyways.

Well, so far all Steamworks titles you can register your key on Steam, so should be no issue to go for retail.

adelante

Bi50N said:

Maybe they badly want the kind of marketing muscle that's usually associated with blockbuster titles....I want this game to do well too :(

Bi50N

Odious Tea said:

Not sure I understand the question. Metro uses Steamworks, so everything has to be activated via Steam, whether you buy boxed or digital.

Although if you order through Steam, you get RFG free. Which is actually ace.

burgerdog

Bi50N said:
Not sure I understand the question. Metro uses Steamworks, so everything has to be activated via Steam, whether you buy boxed or digital.

I have a favor to ask if you don't mind. Could you find out if you're going to allow pre-loading the game? I'd like to be able to play it as soon as it's live on steam.

Bi50N

burgerdog said:
I have a favor to ask if you don't mind. Could you find out if you're going to allow pre-loading the game? I'd like to be able to play it as soon as it's live on steam.

I am 99% sure we will be offering pre-load... Will try and remember to confirm on Monday!

Jenga

Banned
Not gonna lie, I've never even heard of Metro 2033 outside of glancing at in the Steam store page. After reading the review, I'm interested. I'll probably wait for more reviews and see what my friends have to say however.

But packaging it with Red Faction?

Uggggh, I was gonna buy that game. Steam knows how to do game deals :lol

Bi50N said:

Answered my question. Thanks! Way looking forward to it.

DennisK4 said:
ALL GAMES SHOULD BE OPEN-WORLD

I probably shouldn't make this sort of inference based on an avatar, but you totally have a Mass Effect 2 avatar, and that game is definitely not open world.

Top Bottom