• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033

Truant

'Open world' is not a genre. Developers treat it like it is, but it's not. It's a feature, and one that every game should have. That doesn't mean it has to feature the lousy design choices in a lot of open world games, though.

Tokubetsu

Truant said:
'Open world' is not a genre. Developers treat it like it is, but it's not. It's a feature, and one that every game should have. That doesn't mean it has to feature the lousy design choices in a lot of open world games, though.

There IS room in the world for well scripted, linear adventures AND open ended games.

Truant said:
As much as I like open world games, it would be pretty boring if that's all there were.

Brakara

Truant said:
'Open world' is not a genre. Developers treat it like it is, but it's not. It's a feature, and one that every game should have.

No, just no. That would be God-damn horrible.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, some of you are taking the marketing comments the wrong way. The reviewer was saying he hopes the game is successful, but that the marketing for it sucks. Outside of GAF I really haven't seen anything about the game, so I'd tend to agree.

But, I think most video game marketing sucks...I'm a little biased.

Also, a reviewer pointing out that the game is not open world ... isn't that reviewers are supposed to do? Give out information about games so people can make purchasing decisions? In this thread alone, there are tons of people HAPPY that it's a more linear game, thereby justifying the comment. He stated a fact, people. This isn't politics...you're still supposed to be allowed to state objective facts about games without riling people up, right?

Tokubetsu

WanderingWind said:
Yeah, some of you are taking the marketing comments the wrong way. The reviewer was saying he hopes the game is successful, but that the marketing for it sucks. Outside of GAF I really haven't seen anything about the game, so I'd tend to agree.

But, I think most video game marketing sucks...I'm a little biased.

Also, a reviewer pointing out that the game is not open world ... isn't that reviewers are supposed to do? Give out information about games so people can make purchasing decisions? In this thread alone, there are tons of people HAPPY that it's a more linear game, thereby justifying the comment. He stated a fact, people. This isn't politics...you're still supposed to be allowed to state objective facts about games without riling people up, right?

It's bad when it's listed as CON (Not that he should list it as a positive..but don't align it with something negative). I have no problem with reviewers stating facts.

Watching MSXBOX's broll footage...yep, now I have to get this day one. I'll probably never beat it if it gets to scary but fuck, I'm such a sucker for that kind of setting.

There's definitely something wrong with the Steam store, Metro 2033 isn't on the coming soon list and when I find it in the search there's no purchase button and no release date.

This seems to only be an issue with the UK store

panda21

neva- said:
There's definitely something wrong with the Steam store, Metro 2033 isn't on the coming soon list and when I find it in the search there's no purchase button and no release date.

This seems to only be an issue with the UK store

so is it still coming to steam in the UK???????

surely it has to if its a steamworks game?

panda21 said:
so is it still coming to steam in the UK???????

surely it has to if its a steamworks game?

You could Pre-Order it a couple days ago, and you can still do in NA, but there seems to be a bug with the UK store, unless they've taken it down for pre-order but that doesn't make sense to take it off completely

panda21

neva- said:
You could Pre-Order it a couple days ago, and you can still do in NA, but there seems to be a bug with the UK store, unless they've taken it down for pre-order but that doesn't make sense to take it off completely

i dunno they do some weird shit in the UK store :lol they are now listing it as the US release date too

WrikaWrek

Banned
It's not that the marketing for the game is bad, you guys just need to realize that just like in every industry, there are high profile releases, and lower profile releases.

Metro 2033 is very much the equivalent of a lower budget movie, with a release who's success is dependent more on quality reviews and word of mouth.

Afrikan

WrikaWrek said:
It's not that the marketing for the game is bad, you guys just need to realize that just like in every industry, there are high profile releases, and lower profile releases.

Metro 2033 is very much the equivalent of a lower budget movie, with a release who's success is dependent more on quality reviews and word of mouth.

like Demon Souls...

which brings me to my next question.....so....since the game is done...can yall pull up that old code and start working on the PS3 version again, kay Thankx.

Yasae

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
It's bad when it's listed as CON (Not that he should list it as a positive..but don't align it with something negative). I have no problem with reviewers stating facts.
Yes. How bout the "needs co-op" bandwagon while we're at it?

WanderingWind

WrikaWrek said:

You know how a low profile game becomes a high profile game? Good marketing. That's exactly why Metro is a "low profile" game. Crappy marketing.

WanderingWind said:
You know how a low profile game becomes a high profile game? Good marketing. That's exactly why Metro is a "low profile" game. Crappy marketing.
Marketing takes $$$. THQ isn't the richest publisher around.

WanderingWind

Neuromancer said:
Marketing takes $$$. THQ isn't the richest publisher around.

It really doesn't take that much, actually. It's not exactly like they have to pay for the type of advertising that Dante's Inferno had, and THQ may not be EA or Activision, but they've got plenty of cash. It's just bad marketing, period.

Fredescu

Neuromancer said:
THQ isn't the richest publisher around.
That and they've specifically positioned this as a lower budget release. Perhaps they would have had more of a chance at success if they hired marketing-on-a-budget genius WhisperingWind, but there is only so much of him to go around.

WanderingWind

Fredescu said:
That and they've specifically positioned this as a lower budget release. Perhaps they would have had more of a chance at success if they hired marketing-on-a-budget genius WhisperingWind, but there is only so much of him to go around.

Oh, how cute. I guess you must work for THQ. I can't see any other reason why you'd throw out asinine personal insults (oh, look, he got my name wrong! Why not just go all out and call me BreakingWind! Moron.) at somebody pointing out a fact.

You can't say Metro is getting the attention it deserves. That's a fact. But your argument is that they've positioned this as a lower budget release. Well, considering you work for THQ, I won't bother saying you're wrong. Clearly, you must know this. Of course, if their (your?) goal is to not sell as many copies as possible, they're obviously on the right track.

Oh, and the ridiculous "they're not rich" argument holds no weight, either. It's not like THQ is a basement programming developer. They're a publicly traded company worth millions. They've got the money, they've just chosen not to spend it trying to sell the game. That's entirely indefensible in today's gaming market.

Fredescu

WanderingWind said:
You can't say Metro is getting the attention it deserves. That's a fact. But your argument is that they've positioned this as a lower budget release. Well, considering you work for THQ, I won't bother saying you're wrong. Clearly, you must know this. Of course, if their (your?) goal is to not sell as many copies as possible, they're obviously on the right track.
A direct quote from the CEO:

"I think we've got a real sleeper coming with Metro 2033. It's a really interesting game. Not everyone will love it and we know that. And one of the great things about a game like that is that it's being developed in the Ukraine so our development costs are lower and we don't need a huge hit to do well. I think that's the model for the future. With games like that and our Montreal studio, the idea is to still deliver quality to the gaming audience, but not having to spend $30 million dollars to get there. So we think Metro 2033 will find an audience."

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/106/1069731p1.html

Getting your name wrong was actually a genuine mistake. My apologies.

WanderingWind

Fredescu said:
A direct quote from the CEO:

"I think we've got a real sleeper coming with Metro 2033. It's a really interesting game. Not everyone will love it and we know that. And one of the great things about a game like that is that it's being developed in the Ukraine so our development costs are lower and we don't need a huge hit to do well. I think that's the model for the future. With games like that and our Montreal studio, the idea is to still deliver quality to the gaming audience, but not having to spend $30 million dollars to get there. So we think Metro 2033 will find an audience."

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/106/1069731p1.html

Getting your name wrong was actually a genuine mistake. My apologies.

...and all I'm saying is that it's a bad business practice to not try to sell the game you've spent so much time creating.

I'm all for lowering gaming budgets, but if nobody knows about your game, it can't sell, which means even if it's fantastic, you may not get another chance.

Apology accepted. We all clearly want the game to succeed. I hope it sells despite what I'd consider sending the game out to die.

Fredescu

WanderingWind said:
...and all I'm saying is that it's a bad business practice to not try to sell the game you've spent so much time creating.

I'm all for lowering gaming budgets, but if nobody knows about your game, it can't sell, which means even if it's fantastic, you may not get another chance.
What marketing efforts are you comparing it to? This thread was created by THQ and is being kept alive by THQ. There have been multiple interviews and video releases to the various enthusiast outlets recently. I have seen retail level marketing including displays and free pre order swag. People have even mentioned seeing TV ads, which I'm surprised even exist.

The marketing spend is clearly not on the level of a $30million+ game, but without comparing awareness statistics to dollars spent I don't think you're in a position to call the marketing "bad" and to say they're "not trying". When THQ have said that this is not big budget game and it is "not for everyone", sales versus sales expectations is the only measure of whether the marketing has been successful or not. For that information we'll have to wait, and then take their word for it when they provide it.

neva- said:

I noticed this too. I was just about to purchase it from the UK store when it disappeared on me. Not too much of a problem though, I just grabbed it for the US store, which works out to be $4 dearer I think. Hopefully means I also get it 3 days earlier.

timkunedo

dang this game coming out same day as gow3 and same month as just cause2. Looks like those games will have to wait! :D

I'm just torn on which version to get.....

WanderingWind said:
It really doesn't take that much, actually. It's not exactly like they have to pay for the type of advertising that Dante's Inferno had, and THQ may not be EA or Activision, but they've got plenty of cash. It's just bad marketing, period.
:lol @ armchair marketing guru!

Look, THQ is doing what they can with a modest budget. They seem to make an OK amount of money too (see: sequels upcoming for Darksiders, Red Faction, Saints Row, etc). I'd let them worry about it.

WanderingWind

Neuromancer said:
:lol @ armchair marketing guru!

Look, THQ is doing what they can with a modest budget. They seem to make an OK amount of money too (see: sequels upcoming for Darksiders, Red Faction, Saints Row, etc). I'd let them worry about it.

...really? So, on a video game forum, where thousands of posts daily are made discussing and debating the decisions of developers, you use that as an argument? Do you also lol at" armchair developers" in a Too Human thread or "armchair art designers" in a Rob Liefield sucks thread, or "armchair politician" in the PolitiGaf thread? The argument that you can't critique unless you're in that business has never been valid.

Besides, I do work in marketing, and have a Bachelor's in marketing and public relations. It's not the be-all, end-all when talking about marketing - but it's just enough to be able to identify a half-assed effort when I see it.

Case in point: On this page, it's already been admitted that they're trying to spend as little as possible in marketing. That's certainly their call to make...but it's one that has almost never worked. The Demon's Souls of the world are the exception to the rule.

It's a crowded game market and an exceptionally crowded month. FFXIII, GoWIII, Bad Company 2, Yakuza 3, Just Cause 2...crazy month to release a "small market" game with limited marketing. I mean, even this thread was made less than 5 months ago, and that's the first pretty much anybody heard about it.

But, once again, I hope that despite all of this, the game is successful. I've already pre-ordered it. I just get pissed when I see a game that so many people put so much time into, only to have a lazy-ass publisher not promote it properly.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19517057&postcount=149

DennisK4 said:
First review has me exicted - sounds good. I am generally not too interested in linearity any more.

All games should be open-world.

But I am pretty sure everything else about Metro 2033 is right up my alley.

Now I am almost afraid the game will be too terrifying to play. Gonna have to keep the lights on....:lol

Bullshitting 101. Thankyou.

adelante

WanderingWind said:
Case in point: On this page, it's already been admitted that they're trying to spend as little as possible in marketing. That's certainly their call to make...but it's one that has almost never worked. The Demon's Souls of the world are the exception to the rule.
Maybe they meant not spending as much as $30 million for marketing, big difference between that and "spend as little as possible" as you've put it.
Unregistered007 said:
Bullshitting 101. Thankyou.
I am in complete agreement

derFeef

Lasthope106 said:
Someone translate this please!
Verdict is like: "Everyone who likes shooters with a deep atmosphere and an unspent scenario should play this game"

And oh my god the german voices are crap :lol, playing this in english for sure

Tokubetsu

derFeef said:
Verdict is like: "Everyone who likes shooters with a deep atmosphere and an unspent scenario should play this game"

And oh my god the german voices are crap :lol, playing this in english for sure

Will it have russian voices? I'll play with those if that's the case. SO AS NOT TO RUIN MY IMMERSION. :lol

Truant

Brakara said:
No, just no. That would be God-damn horrible.

Not if the open world was as well designed as the best levels in regular game worlds. I'm not saying every game should be like GTA. If that's the case, I'd rather not have it.

Feindflug

derFeef said:
And oh my god the german voices are crap :lol, playing this in russian for sure

Fixed. :p

BTW anyone get the feeling that neofolk would've been a great choice for the soundtrack? the depressive post-apocalyptic atmosphere of the game seems perfect for this.

Also the story is really interesting and sadly reflects a possible future situation in Russia as long as politics go.

FLEABttn

Banned
WanderingWind said:
...really? So, on a video game forum, where thousands of posts daily are made discussing and debating the decisions of developers, you use that as an argument? Do you also lol at" armchair developers" in a Too Human thread or "armchair art designers" in a Rob Liefield sucks thread, or "armchair politician" in the PolitiGaf thread? The argument that you can't critique unless you're in that business has never been valid.

Besides, I do work in marketing, and have a Bachelor's in marketing and public relations. It's not the be-all, end-all when talking about marketing - but it's just enough to be able to identify a half-assed effort when I see it.

It's a crowded game market and an exceptionally crowded month. FFXIII, GoWIII, Bad Company 2, Yakuza 3, Just Cause 2...crazy month to release a "small market" game with limited marketing. I mean, even this thread was made less than 5 months ago, and that's the first pretty much anybody heard about it.

But, once again, I hope that despite all of this, the game is successful. I've already pre-ordered it. I just get pissed when I see a game that so many people put so much time into, only to have a lazy-ass publisher not promote it properly.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19517057&postcount=149

Marketers think: how can I create an effective advertising push to maximize the sales of a product?

Economists and business people think: does an additional $5 million in advertising costs give us back that cost plus 10% over the next three months? No? Okay, our level of advertising is fine.

WanderingWind

FLEABttn said:
Marketers think: how can I create an effective advertising push to maximize the sales of a product?

Economists and business people think: does an additional $5 million in advertising costs give us back that cost plus 10% over the next three months? No? Okay, our level of advertising is fine.

Well, that's pushing the discussion to the extreme. Not every marketing push costs $5 million. But yeah, that is the discussion. I don't believe they've spent enough in pushing the game, or if they have spent a lot, they've spent it in the wrong areas.

But the proof comes out in the end. If the game is good and has solid reviews and doesn't sell, that's 9 out of 10 times the fault of the marketing team.

I want to know more about the 3d vision support.
is it going to be the total goat-fuck that bioshock2 was, ie:after 1 month still no real 3d profile, or will it be more like arkham?:
100% out of the box 3d.

have you guys tested the printing copy with the 3d vision glasses?

WanderingWind said:
Mostly it's just because I find business/marketing talk onerous, especially in a topic like this where we should be talking about the game. Also I give the benefit of the doubt to THQ who have been pretty successful lately. I think they know what they're doing.

FrankT

Pretty close to pulling the trigger on this day one. Would like to see some more reviews, but quite intrigued at this point.

Bi50N

Templar Wizard said:
I want to know more about the 3d vision support.
is it going to be the total goat-fuck that bioshock2 was, ie:after 1 month still no real 3d profile, or will it be more like arkham?:
100% out of the box 3d.

have you guys tested the printing copy with the 3d vision glasses?

Metro 2033 is currently NVIDIA's poster child for their 3D Vision tech. It's been optimised to look incredible, and it looks better than any 3D Vision title to date.

The latter comment in my humble opinion of course :)

Bi50N said:
Metro 2033 is currently NVIDIA's poster child for their 3D Vision tech. It's been optimised to look incredible, and it looks better than any 3D Vision title to date.

The latter comment in my humble opinion of course :)

FIST PUMP

but before, i decide to banana cream all over myself, could we have a little bit of benchmarking? :)

if batman:aa is an 8
crysis a 1
bad company a 5
bioshock2 a 5

where does metro land?

also, can we adjust the convergence? or is it locked in like re5?

Top Bottom