• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033

Loxley

dolemite said:
Being in German is not helping it.

From what I can tell, there's nothing on the German Gamepro sight even mentioning this review, as they don't even have a written one up (much less a score). Which just leads me to believe that this review was just "leaked" early (Youtube pretty much gave that away :p) and the embargo is still up.

And this video only serves to remind me how much my four years of German in high school have completely evacuated my brain. Sad.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
dolemite said:
Being in German is not helping it.
Campaign is 7hrs
Gripping atmosphere
Monsters are easy at the beginning
Not that many firefights at the beginning
Game is very linear
Simple tasks
Sneaking is an option at some points
Cover is important
AI is so-so, but they hit very well
Turret sections freshen the game up
Buy weapons with bullets, some ammunition is worth more
The outside levels are beautiful, but somewhat monotone
Gasmasks can be destroyed, which is fatal outside
Game's key feature is atmosphere, with lighting and sound design et cetera
Very good graphics, especially in the lights and particles department
Play it with a sound system beyond stereo, worth it
German localization sucks ass, the russian accent is awful
Story is awesome
Scenario is really fresh

Bottomline: Thumbs up

Tokubetsu

wmat said:
Campaign is 7hrs
Gripping atmosphere
Monsters are easy at the beginning
Not that many firefights at the beginning
Game is very linear
Simple tasks
Sneaking is an option at some points
Cover is important
AI is so-so, but they hit very well
Turret sections freshen the game up
Buy weapons with bullets, some ammunition is worth more
The outside levels are beautiful, but somewhat monotone
Gasmasks can be destroyed, which is fatal outside
Game's key feature is atmosphere, with lighting and sound design et cetera
Very good graphics, especially in the lights and particles department
Play it with a sound system beyond stereo, worth it
German localization sucks ass, the russian accent is awful
Story is awesome
Scenario is really fresh

Bottomline: Thumbs up

What about headphones? ='(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Whoa, 7 hours?
I haven't followed the game too much but all I read last page was "open world, open world, open world'.

Or was it that it doesn't have an open world?

I don't mind, but was thinking it was an RPG type adventure/shooter.

Scipius

dallow_bg said:
Whoa, 7 hours?
I haven't followed the game too much but all I read last page was "open world, open world, open world'.

It's very much a linear game and I don't think it will have too many RPG elements. It's not STALKER. And yes, only 7 hours would be disappointing.

Dennis

Banned
dallow_bg said:
Whoa, 7 hours?

It is linear.

7 hours does seem a little short but when I read game length on GAF I automatically add 50%. So I reckon it wil be 10-11 hour game for me. Thats OK for an action game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DennisK4 said:
It is linear.

7 hours does seem a little short but when I read game length on GAF I automatically add 50%. So I reckon it wil be 10-11 hour game for me. Thats OK for an action game.

Look as long as the settlement itself is packed with people like the trailers, and you can talk or listen too a good number of them, it can be 7 hours. If thats the time it needs to tell a good story, I'm all for it.

Smokey

7 hours huh?

Even if you add 1/2 of that that's still around the 10ish range. Can't justify dropping $60 for it, but I'll definitely but checking it out through GameFly next week.

Drats, never mind, the question of length was answered...and disappointingly so.

7 hrs? *sad emoticon*

I don't know anymore. I don't know if I want to bust out $60 for a short game no matter how good it is. I skipped Dante's Inferno because of the length.

Maybe when it's cheaper. I hate saying that but $60 is too much for a 7hr game where in this day and age multiplayer is key to a value of a game.

I can handle MW2 or Battlefield Bad Company 2 having short single player campaigns because of multiplayer for example.

7 hours is enough for me. I prefer games to be around 10 hours and not more than 15, but 7 is on the very edge of being acceptable for a full-price release.

Smokey

wormstrangler said:
7 hours is perfect. Not sure what you guys are bitching about.

did you forget to include in your opinion?

anyway it may be perfectly fine for this game it may not be, however, to me 7 hours isn't worth $60 (especially w/ no MP). I am still genuinely interested in the title though so that's why I'm still gonna rent it from GF.

Spring Break is next week will be a good way to relax and spend a day or so to complete it.

7 Hours is fine.

Anything thats 5 or under is unacceptable IMO.

Maybe if you crank the difficulty up you could get it to 8 hours.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
eXistor said:
People were expecting longer? This is basically Call of Duty with a different (better) coat of paint.
Yeah, from the dev walkthroughs, I wasn't expecting anything like Call of Duty.
Like a previous poster, I thought it was a blend of Fallout 3/Borderlands.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Why? It was always pitched as a linear story-based shooter.
Options, I guess. The choice to go a linear path or go off and do a bunch of other missions.

But it's based on a book so I guess they went with this story-focused game.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The Dutch Slayer said:
I do not care how long the game is, as long as it needs to be.
I just want the game to be GOOD that is all :).
I don't care about length either, it's just that I thought it was a different kind of game.

Not really in the mood for a straight shooter right now. Ah well, I'll get it down the line.

Bi50N

Just to repeat an earlier post - time-wise, the studio speed run is around the 7 hour mark. We'd expect any first time player on Normal difficulty to take around 10 hours.

Plus there's a lot of replay potential to the game...

GamePro Germany's actual written review was in the same issue that the video review was cover-mounted on. They gave it 86%

Daigoro

its all about replay value anyways. if its a fun game with re-playability then shorter is almost always better imo.

even 7 hrs for a speed run is too long for a game with good replay value. for some reason Resident Evil games are coming to mind while im typing this.

short length complaints in single player games are silly. (if its not an RPG)

Tokubetsu

Bi50N said:
Just to repeat an earlier post - time-wise, the studio speed run is around the 7 hour mark. We'd expect any first time player on Normal difficulty to take around 10 hours.

GamePro Germany's actual written review was in the same issue that the video review was cover-mounted on. They gave it 86%

Pretty sure you said something about multiple endings on twitter as well right?

Bi50N said:

Bi50n, forget about the discussion about the length, just because a reviewer played it fast on easy...well it doesnt mean too much.

I want to know more about the 3d support!

Bi50N said:

Do you know when the steam store issues will be fixed ?

Smokey said:
did you forget to include in your opinion?

anyway it may be perfectly fine for this game it may not be, however, to me 7 hours isn't worth $60 (especially w/ no MP). I am still genuinely interested in the title though so that's why I'm still gonna rent it from GF.

Spring Break is next week will be a good way to relax and spend a day or so to complete it.

No, it's not my opinion. It's fact :p

Where's this $60 coming from? I paid $50 and got a free copy of Red Faction:Guerllia.

The game could be 4 hours long and I'd still be happy (as long as it's good, like Ep1/Ep2, etc).

I love short, replayable (fun) games.

randomwab

So, what's going on with the game on the UK Steam store? I can't find it anymore, which seems weird (and worrying) considering it's a Steamworks game. Doesn't that mean that even the retail versions work through Steam?

eXistor

I generally hate linearity in games but when done right it's not a bad thing. I'm not a Call of Duty fan by any means, but I like how it's handled in that series.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
wormstrangler said:
No, it's not my opinion. It's fact :p

Where's this $60 coming from? I paid $50 and got a free copy of Red Faction:Guerllia.

The game could be 4 hours long and I'd still be happy (as long as it's good, like Ep1/Ep2, etc).

I love short, replayable (fun) games.

I agree with you but Max Payne 1 and 2 are better examples to put here ;) , since they are awesome short full games game not just episodes/extra like HL Ep1+2.

Bi50N

randomwab said:
So, what's going on with the game on the UK Steam store? I can't find it anymore, which seems weird (and worrying) considering it's a Steamworks game. Doesn't that mean that even the retail versions work through Steam?

There's a known problem with Steam UK at the moment, and it's being looked into. Will let you know as soon as I know!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Lostconfused said:
Which still gives you good positional audio if its done right.
Yeah, certainly. But you won't get far beyond OpenAL's stereo capabilities, and the difference between that and a full-blown 7.1 setup is remarkable, to say the least.

Going by what we can hear in that preview, it seems like they've recorded some samples with 2 mics, particularly those that are always at the same location relative to the listener (player reloading, for example). So actually, headphones might be the ultimate choice if you go stereo.

I myself have no choice anyway, I haven't jumped onto the more-than-stereo bandwagon yet (and do not intend to).

wmat said:
Yeah, certainly. But you won't get far beyond OpenAL's stereo capabilities, and the difference between that and a full-blown 7.1 setup is remarkable, to say the least.
In the end though it really comes down to what you have and what you can hear. The comment "surround is a must" is just needles hyperbole though instead of simply mentioning the quality and the importance of sound.

Edit: Guess I misread it. Nevermind then. I guess I'll just tone it down to "play it with something better than stereo" is vague and doesn't tell you much.

Ricker

DennisK4 said:
It is linear.

Same here hehe...i`m still getting this along with the book...all my games for the last 2-3 months have been 3rd person(besides Borderlands) so I`m in the mood for a story driven solo FPS.

dejan

New pcgh exclusive tech interview with Chief Technical Officer Oles Shishkovstov:

PCGH: You announced that for Metro 2033 you programmed a brand new engine. Do you develop the engine code from scratch or can some remains of code from the latest iteration of the X-Ray Engine be found in your new base technology?

Oles Shishkovstov: Definitely from scratch. Knowing X-Ray architecture (which happened to be designed by me as well in 2001-2002), it became apparent that it just doesn't scale into the future. The weakest points of X-Ray were its inherent inability to be multi-threaded, the error-prone networking model, and simply awful resource and memory management which prohibited any kind of streaming or simply keeping the working set small enough for (back then) "next-gen” consoles.
So we've started from a clean sheet of paper + a bunch of middleware solutions to hook things up relatively quickly.

PCGH: Why did you decide against licensing a commercial product like Unreal Engine 3 or even the X-Ray Engine that quit a few members of you team are familiar working with? Why was it necessary to develop your own in-house technology and why is it tailored to the needs of the title?

Oles Shishkovstov: Actually at some point we've thought about licensing UE3 (X-Ray was clearly out of the question). After evaluating all pros and cons we've found that it was not as good as advertised, it was too bloated and too "old-school”. And the worst of all - it demanded a lot more people and their time to get simple things done. And we became really confident we'll make a better engine/development environment in every aspect.

For the complete interview visit http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,706182/Exclusive-tech-interview-on-Metro-2033/News/

Loxley

I have no real problem with the campaign being around 7 hours if that is true, since I believe that's a good length for an action game if it has no RPG elements.

Also, combined with the fact that the game is $49.99 at release in 2010 lets me forgive any sort of grievances I would normally have with the length.

Slo

I'm disappointed that it's only 7 hours and no multiplayer. I think I might wait until it hits a steam sale.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Oles Shishkovstov: Actually at some point we've thought about licensing UE3 (X-Ray was clearly out of the question). After evaluating all pros and cons we've found that it was not as good as advertised, it was too bloated and too "old-school”. And the worst of all - it demanded a lot more people and their time to get simple things done. And we became really confident we'll make a better engine/development environment in every aspect.

shots fired, U3 labeled as crap by 4A-games

Bi50N

Templar Wizard said:
Bi50n, forget about the discussion about the length, just because a reviewer played it fast on easy...well it doesnt mean too much.

I want to know more about the 3d support!

Ok, a quote from the ever-exuberant Oles, the Chief Technical Officer at 4A Games and general programming genius behind both the X-Ray and 4A Engine who said this in a recent interview...

"Playing the game under DX11 in 3D Stereo is just mind-blowing, it's much, much more amazing than watching Avatar in IMAX."

So, at a guess, that makes it a 10 on your scale? ;)

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,706182/Exclusive-tech-interview-on-Metro-2033/News/

Top Bottom