• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033

Bi50N

kitch9 said:
As an owner of a 5870 it is concerning me that Nvidia may have paid them to hardcode an if ATI hardware exists turn shit off switch into the game.

The are becoming fuckers for it.

A 5870 will work just fine

Salacious Crumb

Bi50N said:
So 'Black' level is one of our favourites - although it's unusual in that it's a pure 'gameplay' rather than 'narrative' driven level. We wanted to show it because it's a great example of the human combat dynamics, but it's really only one part of the game...

I must have played through this level 50 times now and am still finding new ways to tackle it. It actually reminds me of the GoldenEye / Perfect Dark stealth levels, in particular Facility and those two Siberian base levels.

There's an achievement for completing the level without killing anyone - but it is also possible to sneak through the entire level without ever being detected, and there are multiple paths you can take to do this. I've since started setting personal challenges - e.g. taking out every guard using only the throwing knife, or only using the hunting / melee knife, or shooting out every single light source...

Pretty much every human combat can be approached with stealth or brute force as you see fit...

Sounds very reminiscent of some of the better areas of STALKER. So hyped for this game, What a great month to be a PC gamer. BC2, Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, C&C 4, DoW II CR. It's hard to think of a better month in recent memory.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Okay, so I finally managed to watch the new Xbox 360 version walkthroughs and simply put, I'm stunned. Visually, the game looks mind-blowing, the atmosphere is amazing and there are stealth elements, which is something I always appreciate in first-person shooters. The enemy AI didn't seem like much, but I know games are always demonstrated on easier difficulty settings so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I was already interested in it, but now I'm completely sold.

Technically it does indeed look like it is the most advanced engine at the moment on consoles. The spec list is impressive.

Gameplay and story wise I hope it can deliver as well.

kitch9

Banned
Bi50N said:
A 5870 will work just fine

You'd think, but I remember a certain title pretending AA could only be done on Nvidia hardware not so long ago.

That's impressive when you consider AA has been done since pretty much by every card since graphics cards actually began give or take the first few years.

*Edit* Just noticed you should know...... Thanks for clearing that up.

Feindflug

In the video walkthrough the game looked really good, atmosphere is top-notch and the music was excellent...can't wait for 19/3 which is also my birthday.

BTW some questions about the game, is there a russian voice acting option for the game? and is the 360 version v-synched?

Thanks in advance. :)

panda21

kitch9 said:
Nvidia may have paid them to hardcode an if ATI hardware exists turn shit off switch into the game.

The are becoming fuckers for it.

have they ever done this? surely that can't be legal? what games do that? maybe physx but no one cares about that anyway

kitch9

Banned
panda21 said:
have they ever done this? surely that can't be legal? what games do that? maybe physx but no one cares about that anyway

Batman AA. They pretended their hardware was the only one capable of doing AA and when the demo was released ATI guys could not enable it. People then figured out a way to get AA working in the demo which worked fine.

When the final game was released they had further hard-coded a way to stop AA working on ATI hardware so the previous fix would not work.

It got messy.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=20991

derFeef

kitch9 said:
Batman AA. They pretended their hardware was the only one capable of doing AA and when the demo was released ATI guys could not enable it. People then figured out a way to get AA working in the demo which worked fine.

When the final game was released they had further hard-coded a way to stop AA working on ATI hardware so the previous fix would not work.

It got messy.

It was the day nvidia died for me. I never liked them, but this thing was just too much.

GHG

Gold Member
Bi50N, how will a 5770 be for this game?

Also, will this game support hardware physx and in what ways?

Wow, this game looks absolutely incredible! Watching the lighting in motion, it's definitely at the top of what's happening on consoles right now. And whomever made the Doom3/Riddick on xbox comment was spot on, it does look a generation ahead.

Not to mention the game-play looks fucking amazing... this just went to insta-buy.

Binabik15

GHG said:
Bi50N, how will a 5770 be for this game?

Also, will this game support hardware physx and in what ways?

In the last part of the dev walkthrough the guy said they´d support PhysX. As an ATi card owner my hype died quite a bit. Sucks that many games have options you simply can not use.

Binabik15 said:
In the last part of the dev walkthrough the guy said they´d support PhysX. As an ATi card owner my hype died quite a bit. Sucks that many games have options you simply can not use.

There still seems to be no viable alternative for hardware Physx. Better for the support to be there than not, and you can run it with an ATI GPU just fine.......so long as you have a spare Nvidia card hooked up as well.

A 5770 is right on the "recommended" specs, which the game's technology lead has already stated means "maxed out" settings at 1680x1050.

Binabik15

No doubt that acquiring PhysX is a nice checkbox on the package for Nvidia and I can´t fault them from a business perspective. Buuuut as a consumer it´s less than ideal, because should I go Ati I can´t use it at all, should I go Nvidia I can use it, but devs can never uitlise it for gameplay purposes unless it´s universal, so I don´t gain as much from it.

Oh well, I can play console games without any kind of effect, I´ll survive missing fog and papers a la Dark Asylum.

WrikaWrek

Banned
kitch9 said:

It got messy.

Meh, Mass Effect 2 was the same shit, so i just renamed the exe to UT3 and bam, AA.

Salacious Crumb

Binabik15 said:
No doubt that acquiring PhysX is a nice checkbox on the package for Nvidia and I can´t fault them from a business perspective. Buuuut as a consumer it´s less than ideal, because should I go Ati I can´t use it at all, should I go Nvidia I can use it, but devs can never uitlise it for gameplay purposes unless it´s universal, so I don´t gain as much from it.

Oh well, I can play console games without any kind of effect, I´ll survive missing fog and papers a la Dark Asylum.

Nvidias insistence on using proprietary tech really does hurt the industry in the long run.

WrikaWrek

Banned
brain_stew said:
There still seems to be no viable alternative for hardware Physx. Better for the support to be there than not, and you can run it with an ATI GPU just fine.......so long as you have a spare Nvidia card hooked up as well..

Wait!

Explain please!!!!! I can have two different cards hooked up?

GHG

Gold Member
WrikaWrek said:
Wait!

Yes. If you have an old Nvidia card (providing its a 8600GTS/9500GT or above) lying around make use of it.

http://www.gamephys.com/tag/dedicated-physx-card/

markot said:
Physx does not work on an Nvidia card if it detects an ATI one.

Wrong. The hacked drivers in the link above work around this.

No doubt Nvidia will again try to stop this but it'll get hacked again, again and again until Nvida give up and just let things be.

This is the beauty of PC gaming. There are people out there that will just make things work that shouldn't be possible. Someone will get Just Cause 2 to run on XP, the same way Halo 2 was made to run on XP despite it being Vista only.

WrikaWrek said:
Wait!
There is currently only 1 motherboard that supports that kind of configuration of 2 different brands of cards, its VERY expensive.
I do not think you can hook up a ATI DX11 card for GFX ingame and 1 Nvidia
(8800 or higher) for the Phisyx.
You can all correct me if I'm rung but hooking up a ATI and Nvidia card to a motherboard that does not support that option is not going to do very well.....

GHG

Gold Member
The Dutch Slayer said:
There is currently only 1 motherboard that supports that kind of configuration of 2 different brands of cards, its VERY expensive.
You can all correct me if I'm rung but hooking up a ATI and Nvidia card to a motherboard that does not support that option is not going to do very well.....

The Nvidia card does nothing other than Physx processing in the configuration being discussed. It'll work on any Mobo where you have a spare PCI-E slot.

kitch9

Banned
The Dutch Slayer said:

You would be right if you wasn't completely wrong.

I've a 5870 and a 9800GT in my rig running physx on a bog standard gigabyte UD3R motherboard.

Works fine. You need either Windows 7 (Easy to do.) or XP (A bit harder to do.)

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/16223-nvidia-disables-physx-when-ati-card-is-present.html

kitch9 said:
You would be right if you wasn't completely wrong.

I've a 5870 and a 9800GT in my rig running physx on a bog standard gigabyte UD3R motherboard.

Works fine. You need either Windows 7 (Easy to do.) or XP (A bit harder to do.)
http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/16223-nvidia-disables-physx-when-ati-card-is-present.html
And @ above me.

WOW that totally blew my mind !!! I did not know that I'm going to try that this week for sure now I can do both DX11 and Phisyx on metro 2033, I have both hardware!

a bit of a random question, but does hooking up an old 8800gt for dedicated physx use only help with physx games? I'm trying to think if it would be worth it or if I should just stick to my gtx275.

I kinda want to get the most out of this game because it looks so good

panda21

brain_stew said:
There still seems to be no viable alternative for hardware Physx. Better for the support to be there than not, and you can run it with an ATI GPU just fine.......so long as you have a spare Nvidia card hooked up as well.

A 5770 is right on the "recommended" specs, which the game's technology lead has already stated means "maxed out" settings at 1680x1050.

oh god yes

WrikaWrek said:
Wait!

In Windows 7, yes. Its not officially supported but it works with a little messing around.

The Dutch Slayer said:

Nope you're thinking of something completely different. This will work with any motherboard that has two full size PCIe x16 slots. Should be fine even if the second slot only runs at x4 speed as well. Something like a 8600GT or GT 220 will work just fine.

adelante

brain_stew said:
Nope you're thinking of something completely different. This will work with any motherboard that has two full size PCIe x16 slots. Should be fine even if the second slot only runs at x4 speed as well. Something like a 8600GT or GT 220 will work just fine.
Wow ...that's pretty neat. I'm currently using an 8600GT and will be upgrading my PC in couple months (for obvious reasons) so it's nice to know that card will come in handy, since I'll prob go for an ATI in the future.

WrikaWrek said:
I have an Hd4870, and an Asus rampage.

With 100$ to spare, what should i do?

I'd say its not worth it but if you're interested go for the card with the most stream processors for under $100 you can find. Other specs like memory bandwidth and amount of TMUs/ROPs that usually make a big difference to performance won't make any difference if you're using it as a dedicated PhysX card.

I'd say a second hand 9600GSO (the 96SP version) would be perfect and cheap as hell.

If you're going new something like a GT 220 is a good choice as that can give you a 48 stream processors for around $50 and it sucks hardly any power. Should be a great dedicated PhysX card. Something like this should be perfect:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134089&cm_re=gt_220-_-14-134-089-_-Product

or this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150451

Linkzg said:
a bit of a random question, but does hooking up an old 8800gt for dedicated physx use only help with physx games? I'm trying to think if it would be worth it or if I should just stick to my gtx275.

I kinda want to get the most out of this game because it looks so good

Yes. Its why its of questionable worth with something like a 8800GT as you're going to considerably increase your power draw for just a couple of games though it might be a nice temporary solution to get the most out of Metro 2033 at least. Cards like the GT 220 and GT 240 are recommended as dedicated PhysX cards as they suck so little power, so its less of a concern if they're not getting used most of the time.

WrikaWrek said:
Guess i'll wait and see how Metro is using the physx.

Have a look at this card, only $35 after rebate, and it'll make a perfect PhysX card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127462&cm_re=gt_220-_-14-127-462-_-Product

Just check out these benchmarks, for a 5870 + GT 220 combo, this thing is pretty much the perfect dedicated PhysX card, super cheap, super low power and more than powerful enough to be a dedicated PhysX card, its 5x faster than using a 5870 on its own when Physx is enabled :)lol ):

http://physxinfo.com/news/568/ati-hd-5870-nv-gt220-physx-benchmarks/

Doomslayer said:
2moun7t-3.png

You have the best avatar :lol
Amped 3 forever

kitch9

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
I have an Hd4870, and an Asus rampage.

With 100$ to spare, what should i do?

Honestly?

Save your money, unless you really want to see flappy flags and a bit of smoke in Batman, its a bit of a waste of everybodies time ATM. I've you've got a spare card hanging around its worth messing about with, but thats all you'll do with it though.

Nvidia are still fighting against this as the latest drivers released today don't work and shut the card down after 10-15 seconds or so. The best drivers to use are the recently released 196.34 Nvidia drivers I've found.

kitch9

Banned
brain_stew said:
Have a look at this card, only $35 after rebate, and it'll make a perfect PhysX card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127462&cm_re=gt_220-_-14-127-462-_-Product

Just check out these benchmarks, for a 5870 + GT 220 combo, this thing is pretty much the perfect dedicated PhysX card, super cheap, super low power and more than powerful enough to be a dedicated PhysX card, its 5x faster than using a 5870 on its own when Physx is enabled :)lol ):

Whats the odds that Metro 2033 has been coded to ignore the Nvidia physx card if an ATI card is doing the rendering?

Nvidia REALLY don't like it happening and their efforts to stop it seem to be increasing.

Bi50N

I hope this interests some of you:

We're hosting a live chat with Dmitry Glukhovsky, author of Metro 2033 the book on our Metro 2033 Twitter and Facebook pages tonight from 21.00 – 23.00 GMT (that's 13.00 - 15.00 PST and 16.00 - 18.00 EST).

Dmitry is a pretty inspiring guy - he first published the novel for free on his own website and, after attracting some 2 million online readers, secured a publishing deal in Russia and has since seen Metro 2033 published across Europe to huge critical acclaim. You can still freely read the original text in Russian on the site. It was a collaborative project from the start, and he's now inviting young authors to write more fiction set in the Metro 2033 universe - any would be novelists out there?

Dmitry will be online between 21.00 and 23.00 GMT to answer questions via our Metro 2033 Twitter and Facebook pages. Want to know where he got his inspiration from? Need tips on how to publish your first novel?

Oh, and Dmitry also speaks Russian, English, German, French and a little Spanish, and will be happy to receive and answer questions in these languages!

Here’s how you can get involved:

Facebook

Become a fan of our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/Metro2033. We’ll post a new update when the Q&A goes live, then all you need to do is post your question in the comments thread that forms below.

Twitter

Follow us at http://www.twitter.com/Metro2033. Then from 9.00pm GMT, direct your question to @Metro2033 and add the #Metro2033 hashtag to your tweet.

If you’re outside the UK, the times are...

US Pacific Coast: 13.00 - 15.00
US East Coast: 16:00 - 18.00
UK / GMT: 21.00 - 23.00
Central Europe: 22.00 - 24.00
Russia: 24.00 - 02.00

I will be pre-ordering this on Steam, just as soon as they (hopefully) unlock use of my credit card from different regions!

I'm somewhere in-between min. and recommended specs. Fingers crossed it's well optimised, which I feel it will be.

forrest

formerly nacire
brain_stew said:

Hey Brain Stew, have a look at my mobo and give me a heads up on how a dedicated Physx card would perform next to my 5850 if you don't mind. THanks!

Rad-

360 Gamer UK reviewed the game:

+ Truly terrifying
+ Remarkable storytelling
+ Fantastic firefights
- Linear and scripted
- Some wonky combat
- Not for the easily depressed

Blending the linear spectacle of Modern Warfare, the nightmare ambience of Bioshock, the resourced-stripped terror of Resident Evil and the verisimilitude of Russian dystopias, 4A Games has produced a truly unique title that stands completely apart from American, British or Japanese gaming sensibilities. A heavily scripted narrative-driven, set-piece-laden epic, Metro 2033 is a remarkable piece of interactive storytelling. But it’s greatest success is in redefining survival-horror, in the process positioning itself as one of the greatest examples of the genre.

8/10

Top Bottom