• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light PC performance thread

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I figure this would be a helpful reference point to the PC crew tinkering with 4A's Last Light engine. I wont be able to benchmark until I get home, but for those willing to contribute, maybe consider providing the following details (filled it out for me as an example).

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz
GPU: GTX 670 2GB
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Resolution: 1920x1080
Settings: List details about your AA setting (off, or with SSAA), and any differences in the settings (very high, tesselation normal, PhysX off).
Framerate: XXXfps, min max, whatever

TIPS:

• Possible performance issues with AMD cards, especially with PhysX on?[/b]
  • Shadow flickering?
  • nVidia has released 320.14 beta drivers for Last Light here.

Smokey

CPU: i5 2600K @ 4.7GHz
GPUs: GTX Titans SLI 6GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Resolution: 5760x1080 (NVSurround, triple monitor)
Settings: Max settings, Physx On, Tessellation Very High, SSAA x2. I get 30-35 fps with this setup and new beta drivers (320.14). I'm sure if I turned SSAA x2 off I'd be in the 50fps range or so. I'll have to see how much that effects performance. Didn't see more than 2GB used with these settings/resolution.

Andy said they didn't get to test with Surround so here are my results. I'll give it a go sometime tomorrow in 3D and post those results here as well. Haven't noticed any shadow flickering. Game looks great.

Edit: Yeah removing SSAA x2 give me 60fps+ with heavy action dropping it into the 45ish range.

FYI, the game comes with a benchmark. You can find it in the game directory.

CPU: i7 3770 @ 4.1GHz
GPU: AMD 7970
RAM: 32GB DDR
Resolution: 2560x1440

Not sure why it says Tesselation is "not supported" its marked as Very High in the settings. The settings are all maxed out, top is with SSAA, bottom is without. I'll have to play around with it a bit more I guess.

Code:
METRO LL BENCHMARK RESULTS
5/14/2013 12:20:33 AM
Preset 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Options: Resolution: 2560 x 1440; DirectX: DirectX 11; Quality: Very High; Texture filtering: AF 16X; Advanced PhysX: Disabled; Tesselation: Not supported; Motion Blur: Normal; SSAA: ON;  
Run 0 (D6 ) 
•Total Frames: 3076, Total Time: 169.1669 sec
•Average Framerate: 18.22
•Max. Framerate: 58.06 (Frame: 1340)
•Min. Framerate: 9.91 (Frame: 3)

METRO LL BENCHMARK RESULTS
5/14/2013 12:24:08 AM
Preset 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Options: Resolution: 2560 x 1440; DirectX: DirectX 11; Quality: Very High; Texture filtering: AF 16X; Advanced PhysX: Disabled; Tesselation: Not supported; Motion Blur: Normal; SSAA: OFF;  
Run 0 (D6 ) 
•Total Frames: 5001, Total Time: 169.2683 sec
•Average Framerate: 29.58
•Max. Framerate: 80.63 (Frame: 4320)
•Min. Framerate: 13.40 (Frame: 3382)

haikira

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz
GPU: 2X SLI GTX 670 2GB
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Nvidia Driver: 320.14

untitled-150lps.png

Average Framerate: 65.33
Max. Framerate: 138.12
Min. Framerate: 9.15

Average Framerate: 77.00
Max. Framerate: 139.63
Min. Framerate: 9.28

Dmax3901

GPUs: GTX Titan SLI 6GB
Resolution: 5760x1080
Settings: Max settings, Physx On, Tessellation Very High, SSAA x2. I get 30-35 fps with this setup and new beta drivers (320.14). I'm sure if I turned SSAA x2 off I'd be in the 50fps range or so. I'll have to see how much that effects performance.

Andy said they didn't get to test with Surround so here are my results. I'll give it a go sometime tomorrow in 3D and post those results here as well. Haven't noticed any shadow flickering. Game looks great.

Edit: Yeah removing SSAA x2 give me 60fps+ with heavy action dropping it into the 45ish range.

Wat? 0_0

Smokey

Here's my stats from the benchmark:

Feel like it could've been better than that. One of my Titans was in the 90%+ usage and the other was in 70ish% range. Maybe something is going on with my CPU and Hyper Threading I dunno. It also says Tessellation is turned off even though I checked the box in the beginning. Pretty cool looking benchmark though.

Was running SSAA x2 on top of 5760x1080. This is on top of all the game running at the highest settings. So 35fps and playable is pretty impressive in this scenario. Without SSAA x2 I was in the 60+ range with it dipping into 45ish during heavy scenes. In the benchmark itself you can see what I averaged...but I feel like that could be better. Will have to mess around.

knitoe

2600K@4.5GHz & SLI Titans:

eXgM9Tg.jpg

Think, there's something wrong with my setup. People are claiming they are getting ~60fps during gameplay. Instead, I am experiencing ~30fps 2XSSAA.

Edit: I seems to have fixed the problem. Had to reinstall the Nvidia drivers using Custom > Clean Install. Updated benchmark pics above.

Riggs

Banned
Smokey with dem Titans, fly high or go home!!!

I7 Intel x58 @ 3.2
GTX 680
6gb

Game at 1920x1080
Very high
No AA
Phsyx on

Game runs well, drops into 40's at times

Gotta go to my Hungarian classes and write a test today, but ill try and prxy my way into the game and post my 570SLI results (overclocked though of course).

Really curious given their 1.28 MB VRAM.

Great Titan performance BTW smokey.

Sethos

Banned
CPU: i7 3930k @ 4.5GHz
GPU: 2 x Titans
RAM: 16GB
Resolution: 2560x1600
Settings: Maxed

2b6lcb.png

On my first try, I did a 3-run pass and on the third time my GPU drivers seemed to crash :/

KKRT00

Guys, just remember that Metro's Benchmark is inadequate to the gameplay performance, because its never so intensive and crowded. You can basically double the framerate from benchmark to get real, gameplay fps.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Guys, just remember that Metro's Benchmark is inadequate to the gameplay performance, because its never so intensive and crowded. You can basically double the framerate from benchmark to get real, gameplay fps.

Yeah, it looks a lot busier than I expect majority of the game is. PCGH's number don't come from the benchmark though. They used an opening sequence from a later level, heavy in particle effects and tessellation. They claim the official benchmarking tool in their build didn't use tessellation, or something.

Sethos

Banned
Here's the Benchmark, just to show people that it's not a 1:1 representation of gameplay and the benchmark scores are to be taken lightly compared to their own setups and how well it does in-game.

Alright game keeps reverting to 1440 x 480 in a wierd window and crashing whenever I attempted to change resolution in game. leaving me at the desktop with horrid resolution.

680 x2 Sli, newest beta drivers
i52500k @4.5
8gig

also running on a tv via HDMI- single monitor

bro1

Banned
How dependent on clock speed is this game? I try and not OC unless a game really needs it and was curious if I had to.

Smokey

CPU: i7 3930k @ 4.5GHz
GPU: 2 x SLI Titans
RAM: 16GB
Resolution: 2560x1600
Settings: Maxed

2b6lcb.png

On my first try, I did a 3-run pass and on the third time my GPU drivers seemed to crash :/

It did the same for me on the 3rd pass. What was your usage on the Titans looking like with that 3930k?

For those with SLI Titans, would it be possible to dedicate one to rendering and the other to handling PhysX and run the benchmark? I think it would be interesting to see the results.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
30fps average on that 7970 with physx off and the ceiling at 80fps?

Shit sucks and they better get it fixed. Although that's higher res than I'd go for, 1080p in my case.

The game is not unlocked for me yet, 2 days 10 hours :/

velociraptor

GPUs: GTX Titans SLI 6GB
Resolution: 5760x1080 (NVSurround, triple monitor)
Settings: Max settings, Physx On, Tessellation Very High, SSAA x2. I get 30-35 fps with this setup and new beta drivers (320.14). I'm sure if I turned SSAA x2 off I'd be in the 50fps range or so. I'll have to see how much that effects performance. Didn't see more than 2GB used with these settings/resolution.

Holy shit. You have a beast of a PC.

knitoe

For those with SLI Titans, would it be possible to dedicate one to rendering and the other to handling PhysX and run the benchmark? I think it would be interesting to see the results.

Wouldn't be a good idea. A Titan would be overkill for running just Physx and would severely cut your overall fps by almost half.

Ty4on

A 650 is powerful enough to be a PhysX card so I think the FPS would be a lot worse.
Uhmm I'm eager to see how bad it sucks on AMD Hardware.

Posting results tonight @ 7990.
The last Metro ran a lot better on AMD cards because they had more memory bandwidth. One of the few games where a vanilla 7970 on early drivers beat a 680 unless the resolution was super low.

Smokey

I ran the benchmark again on my setup with ssaa 2x enabled. I got:

versus my original run minus ssaa 2x:

So yeah. SSAA 2x is playable in game @ 5760x1080 with max settings. System takes a beating though. Makes the Titans put in work

Wag

2600K@4.5GHz & SLI Titans:

eXgM9Tg.jpg

Think, there's something wrong with my setup. People are claiming they are getting ~60fps during gameplay. Instead, I am experiencing ~30fps 2XSSAA.

Edit: I seems to have fixed the problem. Had to reinstall the Nvidia drivers using Custom > Clean Install. Updated benchmark pics above.

That's pretty much what I got on 3770k@4.4GHz w/SLI Titans 2560x1440 display, same settings.

Aquanox

A 650 is powerful enough to be a PhysX card so I think the FPS would be a lot worse.

The last Metro ran a lot better on AMD cards because they had more memory bandwidth. One of the few games where a vanilla 7970 on early drivers beat a 680 unless the resolution was super low.

Indeed. The 7970 keeps kicking the heck off that old Metro.

I was just wondering since this is a TWIMTBP Game. I bet AMD will release proper drivers. Just hoping they don't take an eternity to do so.

Edit: I don't get why they even bother using SSAA on games. It's a terribly taxing feature even for the higher end rigs.

Dennis

Banned
Indeed. The 7970 keeps kicking the heck off that old Metro.

I was just wondering since this is a TWIMTBP Game. I bet AMD will release proper drivers. Just hoping they don't take an eternity to do so.

Edit: I don't get why they even bother using SSAA on games. It's a terribly taxing feature even for the higher end rigs.

I am playing just fine with 2x SSAA and my rig is no longer among the biggest beasts.

Top Bottom