• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light PC performance thread

Nugg

*opens thread*

*sees everybody rocking dual titans rigs*

*closes thread and cries in the corner of the shower in foetal position*

Anybody else having weird resolution problems? The game has to launch in safe mode, then I change the resolution in the menu and once in a while it crashes to desktop with some odd resolution. Also the benchmark crashed.

Game runs really well for me. Granted I just have the first are done but it held pretty solid, I have a walkthrough started and the FPS is displayed throughout the whole first area to give you a taste for the performance, everything maxed but SSAA off (No jaggies anyway without it). Video is in 720p but I was playing at 1080p, so don't think the high frames were because of 720p lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd8jgezNtE8

I have a 670, 3570k and 8GB RAM

IronRinn

I'm such a newbie to this...

I got an i7, 6GB of RAM, and a 550ti.

Can I run this bitch?!

Should be able to, according to this. I think that article should give nvidia owners a rough idea of what to expect.

Edit: Whoops, misread your 550 as a 560. Maybe not, then? At least not without a few bells and whistles turned off.

cripterion

Got an average of 45fps with very high settings, tesselation set to high and physx on in the benchmark.

They'll probably continue to optimize further in some upcoming drivers, I don't feel it's particularly using my 2nd card that well.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
How is performance compared to the original game? Can I achieve similar graphics with similar framerates as the first?

Or to express myself clearly, how well does it run on a E8500?

Anybody else having weird resolution problems? The game has to launch in safe mode, then I change the resolution in the menu and once in a while it crashes to desktop with some odd resolution. Also the benchmark crashed.

in steam support group with 4A dev and they are currently working on a fix for HDMI to be supported-guess we wait..

Smokey

Got an average of 45fps with very high settings, tesselation set to high and physx on in the benchmark.

They'll probably continue to optimize further in some upcoming drivers, I don't feel it's particularly using my 2nd card that well.

Yeah same here. Has to be a driver issue as Sethos said he noticed the same when he ran the benchmark.

Looks like I'm the only one who is running it on a multi monitor setup, but it's a really immersive experience with this game. Especially when you head to the surface.

Gonna give it a go in 3d surround later today.

knitoe

Yeah same here. Has to be a driver issue as Sethos said he noticed the same when he ran the benchmark.

Looks like I'm the only one who is running it on a multi monitor setup, but it's a really immersive experience with this game. Especially when you head to the surface.

The bezel space between multi monitors would drive me crazy. So, until we get bezel less monitors, I am never going that route.

3D and Surround, damn!!! cant wait to hear how the frame rate suffers.

I also have a 3 screen setup but only with 1 measly 7970, will post my results once the game is fully downloaded.

1-D_FTW

*opens thread*

*sees everybody rocking dual titans rigs*

*closes thread and cries in the corner of the shower in foetal position*

Yeah. Pretty much runs like crap without it for me.

I can run the benchmark (uninspiring with my 660ti), but it doesn't actually change the in-game resolution like it's supposed to. It changes all the other settings.

When I launch the game and try and change to native 1080p (from 1280*1024 or 720p, can't remember), it hardlocks and I get an error message when logging off (have to have Windows log off to get out, because as soon as I hit resolution arrows, it just dies).

This is why I don't buy any games at launch anymore. 7.50 and 25 patches later is the way to roll in today's environment.

And, yes, I installed the Nvidia beta driver.

Would have never purchased it, but I received it free from an old promo. Guess I'll just let it sit for a while.

Calmine

Nvm found it.

Got to change it to DX9. Hope it's patched soon.

Navigate to %LOCALAPPDATA%\4A Games\Metro LL\ and open user.cfg with text editor.
Locate line r_api 2 and change it to r_api 0 for DirectX 9 renderer.
Change user.cfg to read-only to prevent the game overwriting changes.

How's the game performance for a GTX 680 running at 1920x1080 and no SSAA?

I have a 670 and I get over 50 fps all the time. SSAA is not needed at all in my eyes, playing without it there were still almost no jaggies on screen at all. I have everything else maxed too.
What kinda CPU do you have? I'd say you're golden with a 680 anyway

Aquanox

"I can't run it, then it shouldn't be in the game"

My point was obviously that they should focus on more efficient AA techniques instead of those that would need US$ 2k+ in videocards alone or drop your framerates to unplayable levels even with high end rigs.

It wasn't that hard to get.

Sethos

Banned
My point was obviously that they should focus on more efficient AA techniques instead of those that would need US$ 2k+ in videocards alone or drop your framerates to unplayable levels even with high end rigs.

The game already has a custom FXAA derived AA. SSAA doesn't actually require the developers to do much else than add it as an option. You make it sound like it took 12 developers 2 months to implement that option and because of it, you don't have more options.

Them not adding anything else is because they feel their custom AA is sufficient for the average users.

tjohn86

I've got the weird flickering shadow problem. I hope there is a fix soon, it's really distracting.

ATI 7970 FYI

legacyzero

Banned

So you mean they shouldn't push the envelope graphics wise for higher end machines? I'm not sure I follow..

Aquanox

The game already has a custom FXAA derived AA. SSAA doesn't actually require the developers to do much else than add it as an option. You make it sound like it took 12 developers 2 months to implement that option and because of it, you don't have more options.

Them not adding anything else is because they feel their custom AA is sufficient for the average users.

Exactly. SSAA is the cheapest in terms of development, yet useless for virtually anyone out there. Anyone with a brain would prefer using FXAA or MSAA and use the extra power (if any) to improve resolution, or go multimonitor.

Adding a cheap, useless option? I don't agree. Do you? Well... I honestly don't care.

End of the Story.

So you mean they shouldn't push the envelope graphics wise for higher end machines? I'm not sure I follow..

The ridiculous cost of it isn't even worth the try for me. SSAA has been there for years now, and has been ditched by virtually every developer for it's absurd performance cost/visual fidelity gain.

Sethos

Banned
Exactly. SSAA is the cheapest in terms of development, yet useless for virtually anyone out there. Anyone with a brain would prefer using FXAA or MSAA and use the extra power (if any) to improve resolution, or go multimonitor.

Adding a cheap, useless option? I don't agree. Do you? Well... I honestly don't care.

End of the Story.

So I wasn't wrong when I said "I can't run it, then it shouldn't be in the game". You even advocate for FXAA, it's in the game and you are just bitter there's an SSAA option you can't use.

The ridiculous cost of it isn't even worth the try for me.

"I can't run it, then it shouldn't be in the game".

legacyzero

Banned

End of the Story.
Anyone (or most anyone) on PC-GAF would tell you that they would not prefer ANY post process AA solutions IIRC.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm playing on High with 4X SMAA, no advanced PhysX or Tesselation @ 1080p.

It looks great, and I get a steady 60fps.

System:

i5 2.6ghz
660ti
12 gig RAM
Win7 64

Aquanox

So I wasn't wrong when I said "I can't run it, then it shouldn't be in the game". You even advocate for FXAA, it's in the game and you are just bitter there's an SSAA option you can't use.

How old are you? 13?

Sorry but I don't see how could anyone get "bitter" about such a stupid thing.

With my 7990 I would probably be able to use it (I don't know yet) but I would go for whatever else they have for AA and enjoy the extra power.

It's THAT simple.

Anyway... My latest post is self explanatory.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

End of the Story.

Plenty of people hate FXAA as usual implementation is notorious for blurring the shit out of image quality. And MSAA is a bit of a nightmare on modern deferred rendering engines. It's difficult to implement, has very mixed results compared to older engines, and on a deferred engine has a surprisingly high performance cost.

Expect a lot of developers avoiding MSAA as we move further into a deferred engine future.

Gbraga

I have a 670 and I get over 50 fps all the time. SSAA is not needed at all in my eyes, playing without it there were still almost no jaggies on screen at all. I have everything else maxed too.
What kinda CPU do you have? I'd say you're golden with a 680 anyway

3570k.

Everything maxed? Wow, that's impressive. If I just tone down the tessellation I might get 60fps the whole time.

Still didn't play 2033 though, so it'll take me a while to get this game.

Sethos

Banned
How old are you? 13?

Sorry but I don't see how could anyone get "bitter" about such a stupid thing.

Coming from the guy that sounds ultra hurt and bitter over an option.

Plenty of people hate FXAA as usual implementation is notorious for blurring the shit out of image quality. And MSAA is a bit of a nightmare on modern deferred rendering engines. It's difficult to implement, has very mixed results compared to older engines, and on a deferred engine has a surprisingly high performance cost.

Expect a lot of developers avoiding MSAA as we move further into a deferred engine future.

Still baffles me to no end that we aren't seeing any native SMAA implementations. They must get some sweet deals using FXAA or something.

Crysis 3 did it? ArmA 2 / ArmA 3 had an implementation of it but it's pretty poorly done.

Smokey

The bezel space between multi monitors would drive me crazy. So, until we get bezel less monitors, I am never going that route.

I hear ya, but it's not that bad:

20130219_022417_zpsf5fa2bd3.jpg

Bad cabling as this was right after I set it up, but you can see how it flows from each screen. Once the image is on all 3 screens and if it's implemented correctly with the ui, the feeling you're speaking of goes away. Bezel correcting custom resolutions that you can set in the Nvcp also helps. Plus you can debezel if you're feeling up to it!

3570k.

Everything maxed? Wow, that's impressive. If I just tone down the tessellation I might get 60fps the whole time.

Still didn't play 2033 though, so it'll take me a while to get this game.

Yep same CPU as mine, so you have a better rig than mine ;) should tell you how it will perform if mine does well. And yeah turning down tesselation should help greatly

legacyzero

Banned
I hear ya, but it's not that bad:

Bad cabling as this was right after I set it up, but you can see how it flows from each screen. Once the image is on all 3 screens and if it's implemented correctly with the ui, the feeling you're speaking of goes away. Bezel correcting custom resolutions that you can set in the Nvcp also helps. Plus you can debezel if you're feeling up to it!
How does one "debezel"? :lol

Aquanox

I'm with you on that bro. But going back to the old, expensive (well, modified) SSAA is just not the answer.

Smokey

C'mon man, that's pretty bad :p

It's really not once a game is in action, but I can see how it could bother some people. It has to be supported though. Hawken for example sucks ass in surround. It's literally 1080p stretched across three screens. Last light looks great on it. I would like to somehow fit my u3011 in here somewhere so I could instantly switch back on forth between surround and 2560x1600, but alas I think my desk would probably collapse if i did that.

Sethos

Banned
It's really not once a game is in action, but I can see how it could bother some people. It has to be supported though. Hawken for example sucks ass in surround. It's literally 1080p stretched across three screens. Last light looks great on it. I would like to somehow fit my u3011 in here somewhere so I could instantly switch back on forth between surround and 2560x1600, but alas I think my desk would probably collapse if i did that.

Yeah probably just a matter of adjusting. As for that 30", slap it up on the wall behind the monitors -- Smokey's command central! Could use it exclusively to surf NeoGAF and watch movies while playing.

scitek

Coming from the guy that sounds ultra hurt and bitter over an option.

Still baffles me to no end that we aren't seeing any native SMAA implementations. They must get some sweet deals using FXAA or something.

Crysis 3 did it? ArmA 2 / ArmA 3 had an implementation of it but it's pretty poorly done.

I really liked the 4xSMAA option Crysis 3 had, but it used MSAA to some extent, so I guess it's more work than it's worth to implement.

https://twitter.com/CRYTEK_TIAGO/status/306447856473092096

I don't think bezels are that bad for gaming, it is annoying to see them when nothing is running but when the game takes place you hardly notice them

DSmalls84

I'm playing on High with 4X SMAA, no advanced PhysX or Tesselation @ 1080p.

It looks great, and I get a steady 60fps.

System:

i5 2.6ghz
660ti
12 gig RAM
Win7 64

Did you try Very High w/out PhysX or Tesselation? Your rig is pretty similar to mine.

Top Bottom