• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 25th anniversary Thread: Gaf does what Nintendon't

I should continue my Super Metroid playthrough.

Also, Nintendo should release Metroid: Zero Mission as another GBA game for the 3DS alongside Fusion.

Ordered the Prime Trilogy and that should be arriving next week. :D

For now, I'm gonna continue my playthrough of Other M. I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Grisby

I'm not the biggest Metroid fan but I just wanted to say nice job on the thread. Will give it a proper read tonight!

dr_octagon

Banned
Amazing thread, credit to Metroid Killer to taking the time and effort for putting it all together - the food is awesome.

fernoca

Wow, amazing thread Metroid Killer!!

The only current "Metroid memorabilia" I have is the "art thingie" that came with the Prime Trilogy. Love the series though.
like Other M too.

Now that we are on the second page I can dump these gifs(1 more image on page 1 and gaf would be a Zebes'ed!).

Nothing special just metroid related.

metamari.gif

Metroid-manga-sunset-animat.gif

On behalf of the team, thanks for all the nice comments. It's great to see gaf care so much about this franchise :)

Draft

A maligned series that contains some of the best games ever made.

Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are two of my favorite games, and arguably the greatest games on their respective platforms.

The rest of the series ranges from pretty good to absolutely terrible. Metroid works best once a generation. Give it to the best developer available and let them create a masterpiece, then the IP goes back on the shelf.

And for Christ's sake, no dialog, no speaking characters, no Samus out of her suit (until the credits roll,) no cutscenes. The scanning in Metroid Prime is as much text as the Metroid experience can support.

A solitary, silent journey through a beautiful and hostile alien world is Metroid. This focus is what makes Metroid memorable. Cramming a bunch of extra shit in ruins the experience.

What an outstanding thread.

You definitely did the Metroid series justice, and it was a pleasure to be included. Thanks for the hard work for a series I hold quite dear.

Fou-Lu

I love Metroid, but if I'm being entirely honest I've only ever finished one game in the series. (Zero Mission)

I disgust myself...

I have played every game though..

The OP was great, I read it from beginning to end. Can't get the speedrun world records link to work though.

Wow, what a thread. Fantastic job Metroid Killer. I can't wait for the inevitable Wii U Metroid game. It's going to be beautiful. Hell, Metroid Prime 1 still looks great.

Oh wow, nice thread! I'm in the proces of playing Other M, and I do enjoy it. It's going to take a while to finish (I just started Fallout NV Old World Blues and Xenoblade is already incoming), but I think I'll finish it this year.

Also looking forward to Fusion on 3DS :)

Wow, great job. I love this series so much. Still my favourite just because of the Prime games, Super, Fusion, Zero Mission and the original for starting things nicely.

Amir0x

Banned
cleaned up four posts that jumped in before you were finished with your absolutely nuts-o opening post.

you definitely do indeed do what Nintendon't holy shit

Ichor said:
Can't get the speedrun world records link to work though.
SpeedDemos are doing some charity runs this weekend, I guess the site can't take all the traffic at the moment. The links should work sooner or later.

Whoops forgot to add Toru Osawa to the profiles. I'm sure Nintendo's ninjas are on their way to me now ;_;

Instro

Wow, great OP. I've always loved Metroid and it's one of my favorite game franchises of all time, so it's pretty awesome to see something like this.

Tiktaalik

The Metroid series has been on wobbly legs for a little bit now but I think they could get back on track by doing a Zero Mission style remake of Metroid 2. I've tried to get into Metroid 2 a few times now, but every time I get completely confused by the lack of map and I give up (I'm weak I know). I'd really like to see a modern, improved version of this game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I dont know why I had no idea this thread was in the making, the Metroid junkie I am. Very impressive work by all, and shame on Nintendo for doing nothing to celebrate the date.

beast786 said:

Yes? And?

Takao

Banned
So all the Metroid video games take place in the same universe? Lol that's almost as believable as Takara Tomy's "All Transformers series take place in the same universe" scam.

Franchuzas87 said:
What a fantastic acquisition. Enjoy three of the best action adventures of the past decade.

I've played all three before, but it's been a looong while. Trilogy cost me a pretty penny, but it was well worth it.

Instro

Takao said:
So all the Metroid video games take place in the same universe? Lol that's almost as believable as Takara Tomy's "All Transformers series take place in the same universe" scam.
Huh?

Tiktaalik

If there's any Nintendo IP that has the potential to end up on the forgotten trash heap along with F-Zero and Mother it's unfortunately Metroid (and if you read the recent Iwata Asks, Star Fox). Surely with the success of Tomodachi Collection there must be a lot of internal pressure for Sakamoto to work on a 3DS version of that next.

Top Bottom