• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 25th anniversary Thread: Gaf does what Nintendon't

Boney

Banned
EatChildren said:
I dont know why I had no idea this thread was in the making, the Metroid junkie I am. Very impressive work by all, and shame on Nintendo for doing nothing to celebrate the date.
nobody likes being with redheads.

Takao said:
So all the Metroid video games take place in the same universe? Lol that's almost as believable as Takara Tomy's "All Transformers series take place in the same universe" scam.
I echo the huh... There's a clear red line going through all the games, the events and effect of the baby Metroid and the Metroids in general. Yes each game represent a mission, but it all fits neatly together actually.

Great job Metroid Killer and co.!

Metroid is one series that is filled with great games and I for one am glad we could get as many games out of it as we could, and I feel as if this anniversary was the perfect opportunity for a Metroid II remake :(

kunonabi

Great tribute. I plan on playing through Fusion when I receive my free copy as part of the ambassador program. I had played it before but I didn't really care for it much.

I'm also playing through the Japanese version of Other M as well.

Metroid has always been my personal favorite of Nintendo's franchises and it really is too bad they aren't doing anything for it.

Personal favs:
Super Metroid
Metroid Other M
Metroid Prime

Least favs:
Metroid Prime 2/3
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Zero Mission

Takao

Banned
Instro said:

I've only played the Prime games, but these Metroid games over the ages seem so different from one another that I can't believe these are the same characters in each iteration.

Or did I read the timeline wrong?

If anyone wants have a go at the original Metroid you can use these map drawings I made last year during my playthrough. I recommend that make your own though :)

It was probably one of my best gaming experiences last year. If you can get over the old look and some archaic designs(start up with low energy, repetition of rooms/enemies) there's a really great Metroid game waiting to be played.

(click on the images for larger sizes)

West Brinstar & Tourian

East Brinstar

Kraid's Lair

Norfair

Lower Norfair

Oh and I wanted to say something about Other M.

The game had a lot of potential that was wasted, I'm in the mind of the game is alright when you're actually playing it. The art design and music was bland which is a sad thing to say about a Metroid game. The gameplay was decent but needed work and the level design needed an overhaul. The inclusion of FPS aiming in spots was more of an annoyance.

If I was Nintendo I'd take the basic structure of the game and go from there. Make it more isolated and give it somewhat of a survival horror feel with exploration would do wonders.

Red

WrathOfOtaibah said:
Oh and I wanted to say something about Other M.

The game had a lot of potential that was wasted, I'm in the mind of the game is alright when you're actually playing it. The art design and music was bland which is a sad thing to say about a Metroid game. The gameplay was decent but needed work and the level design needed an overhaul. The inclusion of FPS aiming in spots was more of an annoyance.

If I was Nintendo I'd take the basic structure of the game and go from there. Make it more isolated and give it somewhat of a survival horro feel with exploration would do wonders.
It would have to be more open and exploratory. It doesn't seem that any Metroid or Metroidvania-esque title since Super (except for maybe Metroid Prime, but that's a different thing altogether) has really nailed the sense of progression and exploration that cemented the series as a gaming milestone for so many of us.

Takao said:
I've only played the Prime games, but these Metroid games over the ages seem so different from one another that I can't believe these are the same characters in each iteration.

Or did I read the timeline wrong?
Oh I see what you mean now. Yes the Prime games can be taken out without affecting the remaining games of the series (except they kinda go into how Samus gets her gunship of Metroid II). You can view them as the Phazon crisis taking place inbetween Metroid 1 and 2. Also what characters? It's just Samus and cloned Ridleys really :p

The rest of the games are very connected though.

Acerac

Banned
Holy shit! I entered this thread to discuss Metroid but WOW.

Is it still called an OP if there are 9 posts?

Orcastar

Holy crap, what an OP. You deserve a great big medal with Samus' logo on it, Metroid Killer.

Here's hoping the series can still recover after Other M. Even if it doesn't, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime will still always be on my "best games ever" list.

Crunched said:
It would have to be more open and exploratory. It doesn't seem that any Metroid or Metroidvania-esque title since Super (except for maybe Metroid Prime, but that's a different thing altogether) has really nailed the sense of progression and exploration that cemented the series as a gaming milestone for so many of us.

I agree with this. My main point was that a lot of people seem to dismiss the idea of a game using the Other M engine just because of choices that were ultimately what the developers decided to go with more than anything.

Take the basic structure and work from there, give it an open world that rewards progression while making sure that the art design and music is on the same level as previous games and you already have a better game. Other M was a victim of bad choices when it comes to level design, storytelling and presentation.

chemicals

GREAT OP! I loved every Metroid I've had the pleasure of playing (all of them except Metroid 2 and Other M) ... Fusion is often overlooked, and is one of the best games in the whole series. Prime 1 and 2 were so good too... I've spent lots of hours with Samus. I don't regret a single minute.

Amazing OP, thanks Metroid Killer and everybody involved! I'm not the biggest fan of the Metroid series but I do like Metroid 3 in particular - I used to speed run it daily while I was in college because one of my friends was deep into speed demos. Love this game - here's one of mine (almost mint condition):

max8t.jpg

I forgot how short the cords were on the SF - a little under a meter.

IVNtW.jpg

Best in the series in my opinion - best music, best atmosphere, best bosses, best sense of exploration. Everything after was good too, but definitely a chip of the old block.

d1rtn4p

Ah yes, I can still remember that day... 25 years ago put me at about 7 years of age. I was living at my Grandparents house, they had bought me my Nintendo. Metroid was my fourth game If I recall, behind Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, and Donkey Kong Jr. While Metroid was a great game and I still recall playing it fondly. I guess the thing that most blows my mind however are the things I've experienced since I played it. Now, looking back; 33 years of age; married with a wife and two kids; those same Nintendo-buying grandparents unfortunately deceased; really blows my mind... Anyway, Metroid is great, and I'll never forget the megaton that was the end; also I feel old :)

soldat7

Excellent |OP|. It would be better without the subjective opinions (at least present both sides), the cosplay, and the rash of large images (thumbnails ftw), but an admiral job nonetheless; one of the better |OT| in quite some time.

It's a shame Nintendo isn't really doing anything for Metroid.

Red

WrathOfOtaibah said:
I agree with this. My main point was that a lot of people seem to dismiss the idea of a game using the Other M engine just because of choices that were ultimately what the developers decided to go with more than anything.

Take the basic structure and work from there, give it an open world that rewards progression while making sure that the art design and music is on the same level as previous games and you already have a better game. Other M was a victim of bad choices when it comes to level design, storytelling and presentation.
Yes, I see what you mean. I liked Other M up to a point. I thought it had some good moments. But you're right: it's drowning in bad (sometimes baffling) decisions.

I won’t ever forget the finale of Super Metroid with the baby, I won’t ever forget when you land your ship on Tallon and see it raining down on the beautiful green scenery, I won’t ever forget it when you roll into a ball under the floor and your hunter enters the room…
Metroid is rightfully considered a landmark franchise yet it’s one not enough people have experienced.

chemicals said:
I've spent lots of hours with Samus. I don't regret a single minute.
I've spent 25 years with Samus and all I got was BABY BABY BABY BABY :p

Actually I'm proud to have been born in the same year as Samus, do you think I have a chance with her?

Wow, lovely thread. I've really only played through Super Metroid myself, but it was a great game so I'm happy to celebrate the series.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Love this series, although I haven't played all the games yet. Prime holds a special place since it was the first one I played, but all of them have been fantastic. The original/Zero Mission is probably the biggest gap to fill, but fortunately I have ZM on the way.

Would love a remake of Metroid II, but I doubt Nintendo cares enough about that game or the franchise as a whole to bother. If anything got a remake it would be Super, which doesn't even need one.

I have three of the four figures F4F released, discovered them too late and the Gravity Suit run was too small for me to get one. I've only seen a couple on sale since then, and they were outrageously expensive (even more so than they are new!) Also, Club Nintendo rewards!
5TXcB.jpg

(edit: I guess there was the gunship, but I wasn't really interested in getting that one. Was too expensive for what it was, I guess.)

Fou-Lu

So guys, should I give the series a playthrough in storyline order? (Along with my current Zelda and Final Fantasy playthroughs which are at Wind Waker and FF4 respectively)

Like I said I do own every Metroid game, just only finished Zero Mission.

Since I'm a GAF newbie, I have to ask: there are here any consensus on which one is the best Metroid? Super or Prime? Or maybe Zero Mission?

I really need to play Metroid II The Return of Samus. I have played all other metroid games except for pinball, metroid nes, and return of samus. Well zero mission is the same thing as the nes one though they added new feature to zero mission. But for some reason I need to play the nes version. Happy 25 Anniversary to Metroid series and Samus.

Boney

Banned
Crunched said:
Yes, I see what you mean. I liked Other M up to a point. I thought it had some good moments. But you're right: it's drowning in bad (sometimes baffling) decisions.
That's my opinion on it as well, but the good does outwiegh the bad for me.
I think level design is fine though, the idea of destroying walls to clear out of hidden passages like 2d Metroid games doesn't work well in 3d, so you have to go in with an entirely different mindset when designing rooms. And as I said, there's always cool stuff to do with each room, and power ups are cleverly hidden as well. It could open up, and be less linear yes, that might even be better, but I don't think linearity is straight up bad like some people think. Different strokes for different people of course.

Oh and please listen to the Rhedogian track I posted, I feel Other M's soundtrack is very underrated.

Franchuzas87 said:
Since I'm a GAF newbie, I have to ask: there are here any consensus on which one is the best Metroid? Super or Prime? Or maybe Zero Mission?
I feel Zero Mission edges out Super, but both are so utterly brilliant there's hardly any distinction. Fusion is also right up it's ankles.

Franchuzas87 said:
Super Metroid has been regarded as the best video game for quite some time all over the gaming websites. It kinda alternated with OoT on the top spot on the many 100 best games lists.

Here at gaf I would say that Super Metroid is regarded as the best classic Metroid and Prime 1 the best modern Metroid.
The most interesting thing is that Echoes is moving from being the black underappreciated sheep of the Prime saga to being regarded as the best Prime game (see Alkaline's write-up on Echoes), this is mostly in Metroid fan circles for now.

This franchise holds a special place in my heart, with all games beaten, with the exception of pinball and with me loving almost all of them. It is just great! <3

Red

Boney said:
I feel Zero Mission edges out Super, but both are so utterly brilliant there's hardly any distinction. Fusion is also right up it's ankles.
Super feels more alien. I didn't like Zero's animated interludes, and I thought the music was more "fuck yeah badass adventure" compared to Super's "weird ass creatures and oppressive places."

Some people prefer Zero's more responsive controls to Super's floaty stuff. I like them both a whole damn lot, but I thought Super's were more cohesive and appropriate for an alien world. Everything about the game felt foreign and strange, and I loved it for that.

They are both fantastic though.

Metroid Killer said:
Super Metroid has been regarded as the best video game for quite some time all over the gaming websites. It kinda alternated with OoT on the top spot on the many 100 best games lists.

Here at gaf I would say that Super Metroid is regarded as the best classic Metroid and Prime 1 the best modern Metroid.
The most interesting thing is that Echoes is moving from being the black underappreciated sheep of the Prime saga to being regarded as the best Prime game (see Alkaline's write-up on Echoes), this is mostly in Metroid fan circles for now.
I've always liked Echoes, and I'm glad it's gaining appreciation now. It has the series' best bosses and puzzles, and offers the highest level of challenge out of all the titles. The only problem is the length of time it takes travelling back and forth between the different Aethers, but that's something that's been discussed to death.

Top Bottom