• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 25th anniversary Thread: Gaf does what Nintendon't

Dai101

Banned
Mailenstein said:
Great OP but too bad Metroid is dead since almost a decade.

3172e.gif

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Amazing work man. I can't wait til I get some time to do some art for this.

<3 Metroid

Crunched said:
If you consider Prime 1 and Echoes shooters, that's too bad.

Zero Mission was also quite a bit more than a simple remake.
Well, they are not Metroid games either. At least not what I expect from a Metroid title --> Super Metroid. Can't put up with that Prime jazz at all.

Zero Mission was surely no simple remake, but it was a remake. I just want a new title made the way it should be. Nothing bad about that I think.

Lunar15

Amazing post, Metroid Killer. This is totally awesome. Immediately after reading it I booted up Metroid Prime. It's unfortunate that Metroid is so under appreciated, but seeing all this fan support makes me happy!

Red

Mailenstein said:
Well, they are not Metroid games either. At least not what I expect from a Metroid title --> Super Metroid. Can't put up with that Prime jazz at all.

Zero Mission was surely no simple remake, but it was a remake. I just want a new title made the way it should be. Nothing bad about that I think.
Sure, you have your own tastes and that's fine. But I have to ask: have you played Metroid Prime? Because I can't at all accept that "they are not Metroid games."

Mailenstein said:

Beyond the shift in perspective, Prime is exactly what Metroid has always been.

Mailenstein said:

Nothing bad about that at all, but Metroid is one series where there has never truly been a "way it should be."

Prime may be different from Super Metroid, but not really more so than Super was different from Metroid II.

I'm pretty sure there are 2D Metroids in which you need to shoot the same or more than in Metroid Prime. Many people call it "shooter" because is played in first person, but I don't think it fits that category better than Super Metroid. Just saying.

Crunched said:
Sure, you have your own tastes and that's fine. But I have to ask: have you played Metroid Prime? Because I can't at all accept that "they are not Metroid games."
I did play the first two Prime title like 1/3 through each. Corruption I played like 3 hours and stopped. It just doesn't feel "metroidish" for me. Same goes for Metroid Prime Hunters on the NDS. Had high hopes in Other M but got disappointed, even I finished that. Will never touch it again tho.

Franchuzas87 said:
I'm pretty sure there are 2D Metroids in which you need to shoot the same or more than in Metroid Prime. Many people call it "shooter" because is played in first person, but I don't think it fits that category better than Super Metroid. Just saying.
Exactly. I mean would anyone honestly believe that Super Metroid is a shooter in the same way Contra is? Metroid Prime's focus is very clearly on exploration and discovery, just like its predecessors. Calling it a shooter, is a true as saying Super Metroid plays like Contra or Metal Slug.

Red

Magicpaint said:
Exactly. I mean would anyone honestly believe that Super Metroid is a shooter in the same way Contra is? Metroid Prime's focus is very clearly on exploration and discovery, just like its predecessors. Calling it a shooter, is a true as saying Super Metroid plays like Contra or Metal Slug.
Yes.

Corruption and Hunters are the only "shooters" in the series, and they suffer for that.

Prime 1 + 2 are adventure games through and through.

Mailenstein said:
I did play the first two Prime title like 1/3 through each. Corruption I played like 3 hours and stopped. It just doesn't feel "metroidish" for me. Same goes for Metroid Prime Hunters on the NDS. Had high hopes in Other M but got disappointed, even I finished that. Will never touch it again tho.
If you've tried them and haven't liked them, I can't fault you for that. But I'm not sure how you would come to the conclusion that the first two Prime games were shooters.

watershed

Banned
God I love the metroid series. For the next one, whenever that will be, I hope we see a return to first person view but with the same brutal takedowns and sense dodge move introduced in other m. Samus felt like a true kick ass bounty hunter with that skill set.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Magicpaint said:
I agree with you, and that analogy is very alluring, but I don't think it's valid. You can't draw direct bridges between 2D shooters like Contra and FPS games in this case.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I had a lot of fun and really liked Other M, even with it known shortcomings.
There, I said it.
You must be some kind of crazy person to have enjoyed that mess
and so am I!

Truth101 said:
Disappointed that the Samus in a corner while Link celebrates his 25th anniversary hasn't been posted yet.
Alright alright!
ejcomic445.png

I can see what Mailenstein feels like. I would looove a sequel that builds on Super sometime in the future. That being said the various takes on what makes a Metroid game (Fusion, Prime, Other M) have all been great (well interesting in Other M's case) Metroid games imo. Too bad you can't appreciate them too :/

Sadist

I never understood/will understand people who think the Prime series is a shooter.

Yes, you shoot stuff but that's just a part of the experience. Just like in the 2D games, but from a different perspective. Prime perfectly captures the essence of 2D Metroid: exploration. That alone sets it apart from the "everyday" shooter. Its a well belanced mix of both elements imo.

I can accept people thinking Other M is a great game, as long as they accept also that I had a great time with Metroid Prime Hunters' single player adventure :p
Brazil said:
I agree with you, and that analogy is very alluring, but I don't think it's valid. You can't draw direct bridges between 2D shooters like Contra and FPS games in this case.
Well as long as you agree with me :p My point isn't to necessarily draw bridges, but in the case of 2D shooters and the majority of FPS games, the focus is clearly on shooting; Metroid, in both 2D and 3D form do not feature that degree of focus, even if there is an element of shooting in them, therefore they don't fit.

ASIS

WOW is all I can say to this thread!

Now here's hoping Nintendo would do something about this and at least make an attempt to celebrate this great franchise.

Franchuzas87 said:
Yeah, I also think Other M is a great game
if you play it in hard mode and skip the sequences
How is the hard mode by the way? I might start it up now i'm in a Metroid mood but it sounds more like a chore with the lack of energy tanks or whatever happens.

Crunched said:
If you've tried them and haven't liked them, I can't fault you for that. But I'm not sure how you would come to the conclusion that the first two Prime games were shooters.
Well, that's based on Prime being a first person view experience which gives me this shooterish feeling. I simply don't like Metroid being in an 3D environment at all. Might be old fashioned thinking, but that's the way I think about Metroid. I'm fine with Super Mario and Zelda shifting to a 3D world, but I just don't like it with Metroid.

Why does everything in the Metroid universe have a self-destruct protocol? I'd be afraid to eat a friggin' sandwich without worrying about whether or not it'd blow my head off. :V

Red

Mailenstein said:
Well, that's based on Prime being a first person view experience which gives me this shooterish feeling. I simply don't like Metroid being in an 3D environment at all. Might be old fashioned thinking, but that's the way I think about Metroid. I'm fine with Super Mario and Zelda shifting to a 3D world, but I just don't like it with Metroid.
Like I said, I can't force you to like it. But a perspective switch doesn't make it a shooter. I'm fairly certain most of the series' fans would agree it's basically like playing Super Metroid as Samus herself, instead of viewing her through a planet's cross-section.

If you can, I suggest giving at least Prime 1 another chance. It's a superbly made game, and I have a feeling your opinion will change by the end of it.

Or don't, completely up to you.

Nocturnowl said:
How is the hard mode by the way? I might start it up now i'm in a Metroid mood but it sounds more like a chore with the lack of energy tanks or whatever happens.
Hard mode is an excellent challenge that not only encourages, but forces high-level play. I loved it, but it's not for everyone.

Kuramu

Was searching for those space pirate comics.... you know the ones....

Tuuuuubesssssss

edit: BTW, I approve of this thread. The original Metroid has been my inspiration for all of those 25 years

Electivirus said:
Why does everything in the Metroid universe have a self-destruct protocol? I'd be afraid to eat a friggin' sandwich without worrying about whether or not it'd blow my head off. :V
Imagine seeing Samus waltzing around on YOUR planet, you just know that in the next 24 hours the place is going to be obliterated, i'd relocate.

Nocturnowl said:
Have one energy tank for the entire game forces you to master the combat, especially against last bosses. The fight against
Ridley
is more exciting because he can kill you with one hit. It's a pretty intense experience.

KarmaCow

Thank you all involved for this thread. It's shame that Nintendo has yet to acknowledge the anniversary.

Nocturnowl said:

It's pretty meh since it's turns it even further into a straight up action/shooter game. You only have 99 energy and 10 missiles since they are no upgrades other than the ones needed for progression. They should have done it more like Zero Mission where energy/missiles gained are cut in half and encouraged low percent runs.

Electivirus said:
Metroid Prime Hunters is by far the worst offender. I think Metroid II is the only game without a self destruct sequence?

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I had a lot of fun and really liked Other M, even with it known shortcomings.
There, I said it.

Ain't no shame. It's a fine game that fell short of some people's expectations. On the internet, and especially GAF, everything falls into a "shit or brilliant" kind of lackadaisical categorization. And while Other M is clearly not brilliant, it is most definitely not shit.

I might just fire up Other M. Haven't played through it since I 100%ed it last year.

Conflicting accounts on other m's hard mode....maybe I should just go with Prime 3 again. Never doing hypermode difficulty again though as it wasn't so much hard as it was "Every pirate activates hypermode" annoyance. That and Mogenar took forever.

Madao

good to see the 25th anniversary celebrated somewhere. if no one does the series justice, GAF has to step up for the task (hopefully the same is done with F-Zero in 4 years)
many congrats to the OP. most of the little known facts were interesting to read, especially about the devs.

this is my second favorite series of all time behind only F-Zero and ahead of Zelda (i like only half of the games in that series). i've played almost all of the games (only one i have never played is Metroid 2. hopefully the 3DS changes this eventually) and beaten almost all of them (the only ones i have never beaten are NES Metroid and MPHunters).
for me, the bread and butter of the games is the replayability of each game and the speed running/sequence breaking they provide (or just speed running with the linear ones like Fusion and Other M). it is really fun to see how fast you can go and beat the game after knowing it well and also how much you can remember when doing a 100% run since there's usually a few items everyone forgets.
i haven't played Metroid games lately because of Pokemon BW and OoT but i'm sure once Fusion lands on 3DS, i'll be back into the series and improving some of my personal records. this year i only played MP1 once and beat it in one sitting in 2 hours and that's it since i had done a marathon leading to Other M's release and was a bit burned out of too much Metroid running since that.

Crunched said:
Like I said, I can't force you to like it. But a perspective switch doesn't make it a shooter. I'm fairly certain most of the series' fans would agree it's basically like playing Super Metroid as Samus herself, instead of viewing her through a planet's cross-section.

If you can, I suggest giving at least Prime 1 another chance. It's a superbly made game, and I have a feeling your opinion will change by the end of it.

Or don't, completely up to you.
Sure, that may be your point of view. But the first person view just doesn't work for me Metroid wise. I tried replaying Prime on the Wii after I borrowed trilogy from a friend, but all I noticed was, how I kept forcing myself playing it. It just isn't the same for me. Not visually and not gameplay wise. Give me the classic 2D sideview pixel goodness like Super Metroid was or keep it.

Correctomundo said:
Ain't no shame. It's a fine game that fell short of some people's expectations. On the internet, and especially GAF, everything falls into a "shit or brilliant" kind of lackadaisical categorization. And while Other M is clearly not brilliant, it is most definitely not shit.

I might just fire up Other M. Haven't played through it since I 100%ed it last year.

I've been playing it all day. Despite a few niggles here and there that I have with it, it's quite enjoyable. I'm in the process of fighting
Nightmare
for the second time, actually. =d

Red

Magicpaint said:
Metroid Prime Hunters is by far the worst offender. I think Metroid II is the only game without a self destruct sequence?
It's got those earthquakes though.

Red

uchihasasuke said:
this year i only played MP1 once and beat it in one sitting in 2 hours and that's it since i had done a marathon leading to Other M's release and was a bit burned out of too much Metroid running since that.
MP1 in two hours? Not sure if serious

That's a pretty damn impressive run if true.

Boney

Banned
Nocturnowl said:
Conflicting accounts on other m's hard mode....maybe I should just go with Prime 3 again. Never doing hypermode difficulty again though as it wasn't so much hard as it was "Every pirate activates hypermode" annoyance. That and Mogenar took forever.
Didn't manage to beat it 'cause I had to return it, but did beat Ridley. It makes the combat system shine, because that's were all of the focus is on since there are no collectibles. Missiles numbers make sense now and so does the concentration move. Cutscenes are skipable and since you already know the whole layout oyu can probably finish it in under 4 hours. Enjoyed it a lot, and there's a clear disctinction between both modes which is a shame they couldn't integrate (normal mode) better with many of the core mechanics.

I definately recommend it though.

Top Bottom