• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 25th anniversary Thread: Gaf does what Nintendon't

Boney

Banned
Magicpaint said:
I can accept people thinking Other M is a great game, as long as they accept also that I had a great time with Metroid Prime Hunters' single player adventure :p
yeowza!
This changes everything ;)

Boney said:
Didn't manage to beat it 'cause I had to return it, but did beat Ridley. It makes the combat system shine, because that's were all of the focus is on since there are no collectibles. Missiles numbers make sense now and so does the concentration move. Cutscenes are skipable and since you already know the whole layout you can probably finish it in under 4 hours. Enjoyed it a lot, and there's a clear distinction between both modes which is a shame they couldn't integrate (normal mode) better with many of the core mechanics.

I definitely recommend it though.

Well I guess i'll give it a shot, should be interesting in any case

oracrest

sammy_l.jpg

Nice piece, Sammy!

Ellis Kim

Banned
Ah, to hell with the haters! Other M is a good game! Worthy as a 25th anniversary game, I say!

Also...

He would later emerge as an AI assigned as Samus’ CO during the events of Metroid Fusion.

WAT

I haven't played Fusion... but... buh?

Well I did encourage readers to browse around speeddemos for more speendruns in the series. And yes the sequence breaking in Metroid Prime is nuts.

Also while we are on on the topic of hard modes. Replaying the first two primes on hard mode were some of the best experiences I had during the gamecube era. I still remember how surprised I was that the average Space Pirate suddenly scared the shit out of me.

Haha anyone watching the super metroid speedrun race? Dessy just barely managed to get an energy tank with 4 energy left in the ghost ship.

Red

Ellis Kim said:
Ah, to hell with the haters! Other M is a good game! Worthy as a 25th anniversary game, I say!

Also...

WAT

Yes. He's a constant presence in Fusion, moreso than in Other M.

Red Scarlet used to have some gifs of specific speed run techniques for Prime 1, but seeing as I am a PAL gamer, they never worked for me. :/
Boney said:
yeowza!
This changes everything ;)
lol. I'm not sure how I would feel if I go back to it though, I played it with rock bottom expectations. But yeah I remember being pleasantly surprised by how meaty the sp was considering the game was positioned as a shitty multiplayer game with the Metroid label.

kunonabi

uchihasasuke said:

speed demos archive is so weird. Some of their times are uber fast and others are painfully slow.

The REmake can be finished in under 46 minutes but the fastest they have is over an hour and a half. RE2 is even worse as there are couple of scenarios that can be finished in under 30 minutes but they have nothing even close.

It's funny I love speed running RE games but I have never felt inclined to speed run or sequence break Metroid at all. I'll play quickly for endings but that is about it.

Ellis Kim said:
and its revealed that its her former dead CO in AI form?
Yup. Apparently the Federation upload the minds of their great commanders, and Malkovich was considered a genius by his peers. It's the same technology they used for MB in Other M.

Red

Metroid Killer said:
Yup. Apparently the Federation upload the minds of their great commanders, and Malkovich was considered a genius by his peers. It's the same technology they used for MB in Other M.
Completely forgot about that character. God, Other M's story was such hilarious shit.

Boney

Banned
Ellis Kim said:

Also...

WAT

Why haven't you played Fusion you fool!

Electivirus said:
I've been playing it all day. Despite a few niggles here and there that I have with it, it's quite enjoyable. I'm in the process of fighting
Nightmare
for the second time, actually. =d

I loved that part. Yeah, If I can ever kick the girlfriend off the Xbox, I'll go back to the Bottle Ship. It's worth it.

Madao

kunonabi said:
speed demos archive is so weird. Some of their times are uber fast and others are painfully slow.

The REmake can be finished in under 46 minutes but the fastest they have is over an hour and a half. RE2 is even worse as there are couple of scenarios that can be finished in under 30 minutes but they have nothing even close.

It's funny I love speed running RE games but I have never felt inclined to speed run or sequence break Metroid at all. I'll play quickly for endings but that is about it.

i think it all comes down to chance. some games have very good times because the best runners of those games happened to know about the site but others have bad times because the best runners never knew about the site and someone who was just average made a run.

there's also no way to know which runs belong to which one of these categories unless you're into the subject and know a lot about the best times from various games.

also, some runs trend to stay up for years and years and become outdated because no one bothered to improve.

Metroid was the first game I ever bought.(that an Kid Icarus)

A notebook a pen and a password code, from that moment on a gamer was born.

Happy Birthday Metroid!

Megaton OP! perhaps , dare i say, best ever.

Great thread! I'm sitting here thinking about how I never played Super Metroid because I never had a Super Nintendo. I'd love to go back and play through that game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Thank you for the thread, OP & co.

Perhaps a moment of remembrance for these who contributed so much to the franchise we all love, and who are not with us today:

Gunpei Yokoi and Mark Haigh-Hutchinson.

Red

Wraparound glitch. Man, this speedrun race is great. I guess it's not really a race anymore, but still. Very impressive stuff.

Ridley made Samus his bitch once again. Pretty crazy how 140 missile only suffice to change his color one hue.

Electivirus said:
Okay, beat Other M. That was one CRAZY ending.

And I loved every bit of it.
Did you beat it beat it? The post-game stuff is arguably the best part of the game.

Metroid Killer said:
Did you beat it beat it? The post-game stuff is arguably the best part of the game.

Not yet. I'll do that later, though. I've been playing it literally all day, and I'm pretty burnt out on Metroid at the moment. XD

Crunched said:
The speeddemos race? Yeah, Tranq was doing okay but Dessy's run has been mindblowing.
He makes it look like child's play. How many complex tricks and glitches has he pulled off in his first attempt now? insane.

JaseMath

This thread makes me want to give Other M another shot. It's the only game I've ever purchased and never finished. :(

Red

Metroid Killer said:
He makes it look like child's play. How many complex tricks and glitches has he pulled off in his first attempt now? insane.
It's almost like watching a TAS. Really incredible.

Dai101

Banned
Metroid Killer said:

FIRST ATTEMPT?? Damn, i need to get me some more popcorn

watershed

Banned
Reading over the OP really makes me wish Other M was a better game. I feel like the game tried so hard to bring the old metroid gameplay into modern gaming but it was such a let down. Still, I'm such a huge metroid fan just reading this thread gets me excited for the next installment even though its probably far off.

vitacola

Dai101 said:
FIRST ATTEMPT?? Damn, i need to get me some more popcorn
First attempt in this game not ever ;)

But that was an awesome race, poor dude dying at Ridley :(

//Didn't know that Nintendo improved the game on VC.

Top Bottom