• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 25th anniversary Thread: Gaf does what Nintendon't

Dai101 said:
FIRST ATTEMPT?? Damn, i need to get me some more popcorn
lol no no no no. I mean he pulled the tricks off in the first attempt, some of them requiring pixel perfect timing.

Anyway the run is done he got a time of 1:03, which is damn good considered how much they dicked around.
Was fun to watch and perfect timing with the thread :p

Off to bed now, remember to check out the Harmony of a Hunter album tomorrow and stay tuned for more artwork in the future.

Don't forget to get your camera ready for some metroid shoots, I don't wanna end up feeding my dog with those metroid plushies. Wool is not good for his stomache!

Ellis Kim

Banned
JasonMCG said:
This thread makes me want to give Other M another shot. It's the only game I've ever purchased and never finished. :(
In my experience, if you played some of it but stopped, I suggest playing it from the start again from the beginning if this thread has inspired you to start again. Personally, I found the game much more pleasant to play from the start after already learning the controls the first time around.

Dai101

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
lol no no no no. I mean he pulled the tricks off in the first attempt, some of them requiring pixel perfect timing.

Oh. I read your last post as if this was his first attempt in a series (like up to 3 attempts) to stablish a new record for SDA. It was fun anyway and it even gives me time to finish my work ;)

Outstanding thread for an amazing series. Such an impressive job on the OP. I can't even imagine how much time you put into it. My mind is actually kind of blown.

drspeedy

Not to downplay the fantastic art already in the thread, but I realized what was missing: Orioto!

Zebus_cave_by_Orioto.jpg

Was my wallpaper for so long... I have never seen any image that captures what my mind's eye thinks Zebes would look like if it were real. Absolutely astounding stuff.

Also, coloring page rocks!
samus4de.jpg

Timo

ubcvH.jpg

This was always my favorite piece of fanart for Metroid, by Corey Lewis. http://reyyy.com/

Anyways, Metroid Fusion is probably my all time favorite Metroid. I've never finished Metroid, Prime 2 (got to the fetch quest at the end and said fuck it), Prime 3, or Other Mission (though I own all of them, oddly). Super Metroid is a very very close second though, and I know people would probably think I'm crazy, but Fusion was the first one I ever played, so sue me.

Edit: ^Great minds think alike at the SAME TIME.

This is amazing. Like a few others, Super Metroid just might get played tonight.

Would it be alright to link this to some of my friends on Facebook so they can check it out?

Bryan1321

Banned
Incredible there isnt even a mention on nintendo site.......

Also

Great OT

Metroid Killer needs to get a tag, like the brucie one (you know, the one from that MGS thread)

I was about to say I should probably get around to downloading Super Metroid on Virtual Console some time, but then I remembered I'm not going to have a roommate with a TV to hook my Wii up to this coming school year... maybe I'll have time for it if I download it at the beginning of the next summer vacation...

Edit: While I've beaten all the games in Metroid Prime Trilogy, I haven't 100%ed them yet... is it worth it to try to get all the extra missile tanks and everything? I already feel like I've explored everything...

Wow, great thread. I guess I'll dedicate this whole month to beating Metroid games :p. I beat my first metroid game yesterday and first Metroid I played more than 30 mins lol(Zero Mission), I'm working on Fusion and I have Metroid Prime Trilogy.

drspeedy

cooljeanius said:
I was about to say I should probably get around to downloading Super Metroid on Virtual Console some time, but then I remembered I'm not going to have a roommate with a TV to hook my Wii up to this coming school year... maybe I'll have time for it if I download it at the beginning of the next summer vacation...

Quitcherbichen:
41jdJWLmWSL.jpg

World's biggest DS!

Probably lasts longer on a set of AA batteries than my OG Gameboy, too...

likeGdid

Amazing opening post. The Metroid series is my favorite of the video game franchises
Whipped this up today to celebrate:
samrid700.jpg

EDIT:
IrrelevantNotch said:
Awesome pic, but I keep mistaking his neck for an open jaw/tongue.
You're absolutely right!
Professor Beef said:
You just "whipped that up?" Good lord, that's amazing.
Haha, rather than "whipped up" it's more like worked for around 4 hours because I have very little to do today. Thanks, though!

likeGdid said:
Amazing opening post. The Metroid series is my favorite of the video game franchises
Whipped this up today to celebrate:
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae98/rybqdt/samrid700.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]
You just "whipped that up?" Good lord, that's amazing.

watershed

Banned
I just popped in metroid prime for the gamecube and started a new game. Playing the intro again and going down to Tallon IV brought back memories of playing the game for the first time. I remember feeling like I was playing a new kind of game, something I hadn't played before. While I'm sure that's a little off with pc gaming in particular having done exploration focused first person games before, that sense of freshness was amazing. I wonder what game will create that feeling again?

matmanx1

Fantastic OP. Great job with that, folks. I love Metroid. From the very first one (which was one of the first NES games I played and one of my first true video game loves) all the way up to Prime 3 I've been a big fan. I haven't yet played Other M as I didn't have a Wii for awhile but now that I have one back I will have to put that game on my list.

Yay Metroid!

JaseMath

Ellis Kim said:
In my experience, if you played some of it but stopped, I suggest playing it from the start again from the beginning if this thread has inspired you to start again. Personally, I found the game much more pleasant to play from the start after already learning the controls the first time around.
Oh, I'm going to. Story narrative is a big deal to me and since it's been awhile, I'm going to start from the beginning to give the game a proper chance.

ntropy

fuck you Nintendo. celebrate Metroid's 25th ffs.
optimistically, there busy with Zelda anniv this year, so Metroid next year.

gj Metroid Killer <3

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Wowww. Amazing OPs. Wish I could do something even 1/4 that good @_@

My experiences with Metroid aren't so great. I'm no hater but not a fan. The games are all pretty hard, Samus has floaty jumps, and in general I'm just terrible at 'em! I also have a poor memory and sense of direction so when I get lost I stay lost!

Metroid: I think I owned this way back in the day? I only ever beat it with cheats! That final boss room with those donuts shooting at ya was impossible for me to dodge and made me die a million billion times! I briefly revisted it after beating Zero Mission an didn't last 5 minutes.

Super Metroid: I don't remember owning this so it was prolly borrowed/rented whenever I played it. Pretty cool game but I can't remember a thing about it aside from the final boss. Dunno if I ever beat it myself. I think this game was much more forgiving then the first so it was more fun to play.

Metroid Zero Mission: I still own this one. I beat it once an that was enough. The limited buttons didn't help the controls at all and made the game pretty hard for me ta get through. The stealth part was a big wtf moment for me since I wasn't spoiled at the time and thought the game was over! So that was a treat!

Super Smash Bros. Melee: Loved both Brinstar and Brinstar Depths stages. Only played as Samus at random since she was much to stiff for my erratic tastes!

Overall I feel the Metroid games are worth playing through once but afterwards I gots no real desire to touch 'em again.

Cranzor

Awesome thread. I just finished Zero Mission today too. I'm already rocking a Samus avatar so it looks like I'm all set.

Boney

Banned
edit: why the hell did I think it was the celebration video that had hayashi and pixel in there lol

Was already posted by Nintex.

Kind of a bummer they didn't get anybody from Nintendo seeing they got lots of faces in there.

bengraven

54-46! said:
AM2R also needs to be mentioned, can't wait to play it, demo is amazing.

OMG how did I miss this?!

I wish they'd use music closer to the original though, unless they are and this is just "trailer" music.

Codeblue

Happy 25th to an amazing series.

I've loved all the one's I've played, except for Prime 2. It's not that it's bad, it's actually really good. For some reason it gives me super motion sickness within seconds, which didn't happen with Prime 1 or 3 for some reason.

Kazerei

Banned
This is the most amazing OT I have ever read.

So Metroid 2 and Other M are the only games in the series I haven't played. I also never beat Hunters. Am I a bad person?

LOCK

Great Great thread!

This has reminded me how great and awesome this series is, on the same level as Mario and Zelda for long running franchises.

Seriously Nintendo, get things together.

Randomizer

Props to Metroid Killer for the biggest, most awesome OP that I've ever read. Metroid is one of my favourite franchises, both Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are in my top ten games of all-time. You really got me in the mood to play some Metroid, I might have to start that Dolphin play-through of Metroid Prime I had planned.

Franchuzas87 said:

Holy shit that was pretty amazing.

KarmaCow

Got kinda distracted by relatives coming over but just finished a low percent Zero Mission run through for the sake of the anniversary. There is still time Nintendo, don't forget about Metroid.

Ellis Kim said:
The controls are hardly the most offensive part of that game.

Though, I did actually dig the whole "point at the screen to change your perspective" aspect. Too bad the rest of the game was ass.

In any case, happy birthday Samus! May you have many more to come.

Top Bottom