• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread Trailer | Nintendo E3 2021

carlosrox

Banned
People make fun of Craig

I didn't jump on that bandwagon meme like everybody else did actually, so no, not all people.

"I'm human, and it's not in my nature".

I don't memeify games like many idiots do.

They don't speak for me.

Graphics whiners will always exist no matter what. This game looks fine.

Pretty sure it'll run/look better on release, and even if it doesn't, it already looks more than fine. Youtube compression does not help. Y'all new to gaming?

This will look great when you play it unless you're a graphics whore.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Yeah…..after the Ori games, the bar has been raised, and this doesn’t cut it presentation wise. This isn’t the 3DS, Ninty.

Glad for those interested, though.
Lol I've played pretty much all of the "metroidvania" indie games. Same old, nothing new. Ori is like Other M in terms of melodramatic shit eww. Gameplay is fantastic though.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
it's because people want the best for metroid
Clearly you all dont agree on what you guys define as best, seeing the responses on this thread.

Plus, beggars cant be choosers.Metroid doesnt tipically sell well(reason why the franchise go on long hiatus every once in a while), and considering that Samus Returns was well received and that Nintendo entrusted MercurySteam with a new entry, I should think that they deserve the benefit of the doubt, even if you arent that much of a fan of the artstyle.

Neff

Not keen on the art style, I thought Samus Returns was a lot more visually interesting.

Whatever though man, it's a new 2D Metroid. I'm in.

Dr Bass

It’s a $40 game being sold for $60. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.
How do you deduce this? Have you played it? Do you know what the budget was and how many they expect to sell? Is a game’s price tag derived from how cutting edge its graphics are?

what if this game is in reality an 80 dollar total experience sold for the bargain price of 60 dollars?

In other words, get this 💩 off my lawn.

carlosrox

Banned
How do you deduce this? Have you played it? Do you know what the budget was and how many they expect to sell? Is a game’s price tag derived from how cutting edge its graphics are?

what if this game is in reality an 80 dollar total experience sold for the bargain price of 60 dollars?

In other words, get this 💩 off my lawn.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The way people react negatively to videogames is embarrassing sometimes.

People who are supposed to have a passion for these games and the work put into them; begging for new entries and then when we get them they just shit on them. Pretty immature in my book. There's such thing as constructive criticisms without resorting to ridiculous fake negative hyperbole.

"Looks like PS2.

Looks budget.

Craig.

Looks like an indie game."

What a crock. Seen this shit with Halo, Elden Ring, Metroid 5, and countless other games.

Drop the hyperbole and we're cool.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
There is nothing about this game that looks "budget".

Embarrassingly bad takes from some of y'all in here.
Laugh Lol GIF

carlosrox

Banned
So fucking happy this sound came back.

That beeping shit gives me life. More of this please!

One of the best double downs in gaming history. Bringing the composer back for more was the right move.

Ps. As much as I love this, I still need Yamamoto on Prime 4. They made the right choice here, so let's hope they make the right choice with Prime 4.

Last edited:

Killer8

I watched the Treehouse live footage and it looked better there. I think the problem is the visuals don't hold up close up, and so cutting a trailer with many scenes like that makes it look worse than it is. The lighting of some areas is also particularly ugly from a color choice point of view.

Still not thrilled with how it looks, but hopefully they polish it more before release.

Porcile

I feel like there is a weird filter over everything in the trailer, but the Treehouse gameplay footage is a lot cleaner. Comparing the two though they seem to be exactly the same. The backgrounds and models certainly look very sharp in that footage. Overall I really like the style they are going for.

The cutscenes looked like crap, low poly/weird lighting, choppy FPS. But the gameplay looked fine. As long as the gameplay is there, that's what really matters. But a bit more graphic polish wouldn't hurt.

CuNi

not. even. remotely.
I challenge you.
Start the trailer, close your eyes and listen to the SFX.
If you don't think about a Mobile or Handheld game, then you might want to check your audio setup.

It's also nowhere near the graphic fidelity I'd expect from a switch only game. Look at Mario Odyssey where you have even open Maps and than at Dread.
It will be a fun to play game if they nail it like Samus Returns, but it cannot hold up to other Switch games out there and looks very rough.

Metroid-Samus-Returns

Metroid-Dread.jpg

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I challenge you.
If you don't think about a Mobile or Handheld game, then you might want to check your audio setup.

It's also nowhere near the graphic fidelity I'd expect from a switch only game. Look at Mario Odyssey where you have even open Maps and than at Dread.
It will be a fun to play game if they nail it like Samus Returns, but it cannot hold up to other Switch games out there and looks very rough.

Metroid-Samus-Returns

Metroid-Dread.jpg
You really think it makes sense to compare a 3D game to a 2D sidescroller? Even comparing the audio makes no sense. This is a 2D sidescrolling shooter designed to look, sound and play like a 2D game. You should be comparing it to NSMB U Deluxe not fucking Odyssey.

I challenge you.

Metroid-Samus-Returns

Metroid-Dread.jpg
Metroid fans are the worst fans. Worse than FF fans.

People talked shit on Federation Force, Other M, and Samus Returns. All of them are good games. Now they're trashing Dread.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I challenge you.

Metroid-Samus-Returns

Metroid-Dread.jpg
You just proved my point. Dread looks infinitely better. And why should I compare an open-world 3D game to a 2.5D Metroid game? If anything you should compare to the other 2.5D games on Switch. Dread looks absolutely fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
People keep saying indie metroidvanias look better. Which ones? Bloodstained sure as shit doesn't. You can also keep the pixel shit. I don't have any nostalgia for that era clouding my eyes. Same people that say KOF 13 looks better than the upcoming 15. Delusional.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I forget this forum is full of visual fetishists who'll go blind if said visuals' edges can't cut the atom and then thankfully, I find a Nintendo thread.
on top of that, the game doesn't even remotely look bad... It's a combination of hyperbole and overblown expectations.

Top Bottom