• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread Trailer | Nintendo E3 2021

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
White suit looks awful, too bright and like it is full of bloom.

Graphic style does it no favors

I personally think the suit looks pretty cool. Certainly a step up from the ugly Fusion suit, in my own opinion anyway.

In any case, the suit is sure to change as the game progresses. :)

EwBZT9O.jpg

Dr Bass

I personally think the suit looks pretty cool. Certainly a step up from the ugly Fusion suit, in my own opinion anyway.

In any case, the suit is sure to change as the game progresses. :)

EwBZT9O.jpg
I like the new suit too! At this point, that is what I want from these older franchises. Do new things! I have high hopes for this.

After watching various videos, fidelity-wise, the game appears fine for a Switch title. I'm disappointed the developers went with such a desaturated color palette for the world, which combined with the amount of metal surfaces tends to make things look rather sterile. I'm glad the game exists, just wish I felt more excited by this reveal.

kunonabi

The suit is growing on me aside from the shoulders. I also would have dropped the red from the helmet and chest plate. If you're going to switch it up just commit to it instead of going with something so messy.

MS does suck but as long as their creative input is completely ignored and they don't half-ass the second half of the game like they did with SR it could turn out fine.

ssringo

After my initial hype of "zomg new Metroid!!" I watched the Treehouse gameplay. My thoughts/concerns

- Thank god "2D" Metroid is on something that plays on a television again.
- Movement is quick, smooth and fairly snappy. Which is good but it can look a little goofy since it's in 3d. Might just be me and it's not a big deal anyways.
- I don't like pursuit enemies if they show up too much. S-AX was well done. Wasn't too often and each encounter was an adrenaline rush. The Emmy(?) encounters shown were pretty underwhelming. Needed a temporary arm cannon upgrade to kill the one and the others didn't seem very threatening despite the commentator swearing it was nerve-wracking (while fucking about with it). Has an instant kill (if you don't counter correctly) but that's okay because you just respawn nearby. Lame mechanic for a lame enemy. It was early game though so...
- The suit design is great but I'm not feeling the color scheme.
- Graphics are fine. Nothing fancy but that's okay because fancy would eat frames that the Switch can't spare.
- Why is Metroid crawling sliding? Morph Ball pl0x.
- Fuck off Adam. Samus better not have elevator monologues about that douche.

Still very excited.
Z5l9Q5L.gif

dcx4610

I''m not feeling the art style. Something just feels cheap about it. It reminds me of Shadow Complex which was fun but rough.

Honestly, it looks like they just took the Return to Samus remake and blew up the resolution. Still, I love Metroid and it certainly could be worse. I would have been happier with pixel art and a true sequel to Super Metroid.

This looks a little too similar to samus returns, which was just okay. A little disappointing not seeing a prime entry reveal. Is this going to be $60 like the advanced wars reboot?

Skyfox

I've preordered because I loved Samus Returns on 3ds.

I reckon the team could do with an extra year though tbh. Lush environments are much harder to build and optimize for the switch but hopefully some areas have more complexity than the trailer.

Ill say a prayer for the devs. They have their work cut out for them right now.

Wouldnt want to be on the prime team right now either.

This looks pretty decent, I am happy for Metroid fans.

Now how does this compare to indie metroidvania like Hollow Knight. Tough to take that crown back Nintendo.

Metroid fan here. I'll take a crack at this question as it is a good one.

As cheesy as it may sound, those games are Metroidvania, Metroid is an action adventure.

That's a big difference in my view as those
game are taking what I love about Metroid and pushing them to the max.

Like Demon's Souls, Metroid, because weve made it into its own genre, isn't trying to reinvent itself. Thus, I don't think Metroid is trying to be the best Metroidvania.

Games like Guacamole and Hollow Knight are best example of the genre.

-----

Now as for Metroid on it own. It's a game that has so much potential in world building, multiplayer, deeper story, yet, it never steer to far from it isolated, mysterious, deep dungeon crawling, element. So when something like dread or a direct sequel comes out, we take it.

We've accepted Metroid as a franchise that has 10 Year gaps.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

This has nothing to do with Prime 4. It would be like getting upset that Gears Tactics comes out, but you're waiting on Gears 6.
Exactly. Few people enjoyed it when the franchise tried to combine the two gameplay styles - more than happy for them to coexist at a distance.

More importantly: who or what do I need to fellate to get a special edition and the amiibo pack in Europe?

Dr Bass

Metroid fan here. I'll take a crack at this question as it is a good one.

As cheesy as it may sound, those games are Metroidvania, Metroid is an action adventure.

That's a big difference in my view as those
game are taking what I love about Metroid and pushing them to the max.

Like Demon's Souls, Metroid, because weve made it into its own genre, isn't trying to reinvent itself. Thus, I don't think Metroid is trying to be the best Metroidvania.

Games like Guacamole and Hollow Knight are best example of the genre.

-----

Now as for Metroid on it own. It's a game that has so much potential in world building, multiplayer, deeper story, yet, it never steer to far from it isolated, mysterious, deep dungeon crawling, element. So when something like dread or a direct sequel comes out, we take it.

We've accepted Metroid as a franchise that has 10 gaps.
This doesn't make any sense. Hollow Knight is more Metroid than Metroid because Metroid is action/adventure? I don't understand your point. Hollow Knight doesn't stand up to Metroid OR Castlevania. IMO, it's a slog of a game with a pretty nice art style. It's bloated and directionless, which is the direct antithesis of what you see with the best Metroid and Castlevania games.

How is Metroid action/adventure (but not Metroidvania, the word means ONE style of game, exploration with action) with potential for multiplayer but sticks to dungeon crawling? ...

Dungeon Crawling??

Metroid "has 10 gaps"?

This literally all feels completely made up.

Spacefish

cool suit, low effort environments. the backgrounds lack any real context or ambition, they feel like arbitrary platforms that were made from generic scifi blocks. I guess expecting retro levels of care you see in DK is a bit much but you cant help but compare the level of quality and attention to detail. This often looks like new strider which was pretty mediocre.

Watched the Treehouse demo and I really like what I'm seeing.

Pretty happy that this isn't a Super Metroid remake, it's pretty hard to improve on that game. Makes me wonder if the people that leaked the Super Metroid remake thing were coloring the water for whoever their source is. The game being done, releasing this year, being 2d, and being developed by Mercury Steam were all correct. No one that's ever played or seen Super Metroid would mistake this game for a SM remake.

Was Other M ever known as Metroid 5?
Nah, other m takes place after Super Metroid and before Fusion. Fusion was already known as Metroid 4.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Don't you worry when Metroid Prime 4 comes out they will bitch about that and ask why it isn't more like Metroid Dread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You know.. I don't wanna start any fires here, but I think Prime 4 will be reserved for next gen.

I mean.. Metroid Dread is a 2D game, so it probably looks better graphically than Prime 4 does. It just makes no sense to keep it on current Switch, especially if it is a little while away.

It's a certain disappointment to happen. It might have been a disaster if they showed it today.

Moonjt9

I can’t believe I’m not more excited. The metroidvania genre has developed so much with so many amazing new additions, that it seems kind of weird that the grandfather series isn’t doing more. Will still buy day one but I’m a little hesitant. I hope the full game is amazing return to form for the series.

Edit: just watched the treehouse gameplay demo. Looks SO much better than the trailer. Excitement levels increasing.

Last edited:

drotahorror

$60 6 hour metroidvania.

Looks like shit and I enjoyed Castlevania Mirror of Fate from Mercury Steam.

Nintendo is the biggest money grubbing, taking advantage of their fans, company I've ever encountered. But I'll still probably buy the new (old) Mario Party at full price.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After 19 years, Nintendo is finally making a new 2D Metroid game. We got a good look at Metroid Dread - first rumored in 2005! - during the E3 Nintendo Direct, with additional info from the developers immediately afterward. Let's slow everything down and take a look at the 5 things you might have missed in the reveal.

ssringo

That "5 things you might have missed" IGN video is worthless clickbait. The only way you "missed" them is if you didn't watch anything in the first place. Not even sure they say 5 things about the trailer.

Top Bottom