• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread Trailer | Nintendo E3 2021

Its like they don't understand the visuals a portable system like the Switch is capable of.
Along with the steady devaluation of 2D games. People reacted this way initially to Tropical Freeze even. People react this way to NSMB series as well.

Then they complain about not getting a 2D Metroid for 20 years.

Basically, a lot of bitter haters that don't play any of the games.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Along with the steady devaluation of 2D games. People reacted this way initially to Tropical Freeze even. People react this way to NSMB series as well.

Then they complain about not getting a 2D Metroid for 20 years.

Basically, a lot of bitter haters that don't play any of the games.
I really didn’t like playing Metroid Returns on due it being on handheld! I’m really excited to play a new 2d Metroid on a big screen again!

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Along with the steady devaluation of 2D games.
Like how many games of that type (not pixel art or hand-drawn, which is great in its own right, I mean 2.5D type of graphics) are out there that look better?

Does Oddworld: Soulstorm look better? Or Bloodstained? Or My Friend Pedro? Maybe Trine 4 does.

This doesn't make any sense. Hollow Knight is more Metroid than Metroid because Metroid is action/adventure? I don't understand your point. Hollow Knight doesn't stand up to Metroid OR Castlevania. IMO, it's a slog of a game with a pretty nice art style. It's bloated and directionless, which is the direct antithesis of what you see with the best Metroid and Castlevania games.

How is Metroid action/adventure (but not Metroidvania, the word means ONE style of game, exploration with action) with potential for multiplayer but sticks to dungeon crawling? ...

Dungeon Crawling??

Metroid "has 10 gaps"?

This literally all feels completely made up.

The person I was replying to said they enjoyed hollow knight. Assuming that was his/her first expose to Metroidvania, I wasn't going to reject it. I personally didn't care for it.

Like Demon Souls and Castlevania, Metroid Is a genre defining game. I'm not saying games that are Metroidvani or "Metroid Style" are better, I'm simply saying they highlight what What we love about Metroid. Those game show homage to Metroid.

What 10 gaps

Confused Gary Coleman GIF
Didnt Metriod Fusion come out in 2002? That over 10 years ago. That's a 10 year gap. Metroid fans don't get 1 game a year, or if your lucky, 1 game ever console generation.

skit_data

Metroid Fusion was actually the first Metroid game I played, I had no idea what Metroid was when I bought it for my GBA at 11 years of age.

After I played it I craved more so I bought Prime when it released and later I played Prime 2, Super Metroid, Zero Mission and Other M.

Pretty funny, now I can finally play an actual sequel to the first Metroid I played :p

sinnergy

This deserves a like quote and reply. These are Prime fan to be specific trashing mainline games. These prime fans can't can't appreciate mainline Metroid and other m.
I understand other M, it was trash . Personally I even didn’t like fusion ..

I did like Metroid , Metroid 2, prime 1 . And my personal best Metroid , Super Metroid .

Astral Dog

now that the hype and crying over the announcement is over, i been thinking how fascinating this game development really was.

Nintendo has actually been pushing Metroid Dread for years,first it was supposed to come out for DS, but Sakamoto's narrative and gameplay ambitions for Metroid 5 were too big for the portable DS family and he went to make Metroid Other M instead.

Now, Other M im sure even Sakamoto himself doesn't know how that happened, that one has been talked to death so im just gonna say im glad Sakamoto is still making Metroid games, i guess i believe in second chances and he appears to have learned what NOT to do since then😅

Visuals look a little off specially im surprised at the coloring and lightning, too 'dark' looking but if the game is rock solid 60fps i won't complain much, im sure it will be filled with tons of awesome details.

Can Metroid Dread and Sakamoto deliver on the 19 year hype? Honestly im not sure but im very happy its happening regardless😁

skit_data

Looking at the Treehouse gameplay.

This looks so awesome! I really miss those scary scenes with SA-X hunting you in Metroid Fusion. It looks like they’ve built a large part of the game around that dread. So fitting title.

I’m completely sold. Preordered it right away, something i rarely do.

Edit: Omg, is this the last chapter? They said ”this will conclude the story arc between Samus and the Metroids”? What is that supposed to mean? Ahh... can’t wait!

Last edited:
The person I was replying to said they enjoyed hollow knight. Assuming that was his/her first expose to Metroidvania, I wasn't going to reject it. I personally didn't care for it.

Like Demon Souls and Castlevania, Metroid Is a genre defining game. I'm not saying games that are Metroidvani or "Metroid Style" are better, I'm simply saying they highlight what What we love about Metroid. Those game show homage to Metroid.

Didnt Metriod Fusion come out in 2002? That over 10 years ago. That's a 10 year gap. Metroid fans don't get 1 game a year, or if your lucky, 1 game ever console generation.
What are you talking about? Metroid Fusion released 19 years ago. 2002 was 19 years ago. That's nearly 20 years. Much more than 10 years.

What are you talking about? Metroid Fusion released 19 years ago. 2002 was 19 years ago. That's nearly 20 years. Much more than 10 years.
Dude I know....we are agreeing to the same facts...

The question was ask if Metroid can hold its own to today's Metroidvanias and why would any fan be excited.

All I'm saying is we are excited because the (mainline) metriod series on average has had a 10 year gap (19 as you stated for fusion) between installments, so when a new game some out, the excitement come not only as desperation but also admiration.

now that the hype and crying over the announcement is over, i been thinking how fascinating this game development really was.

Nintendo has actually been pushing Metroid Dread for years,first it was supposed to come out for DS, but Sakamoto's narrative and gameplay ambitions for Metroid 5 were too big for the portable DS family and he went to make Metroid Other M instead.

Now, Other M im sure even Sakamoto himself doesn't know how that happened, that one has been talked to death so im just gonna say im glad Sakamoto is still making Metroid games, i guess i believe in second chances and he appears to have learned what NOT to do since then😅

Visuals look a little off specially im surprised at the coloring and lightning, too 'dark' looking but if the game is rock solid 60fps i won't complain much, im sure it will be filled with tons of awesome details.

Can Metroid Dread and Sakamoto deliver on the 19 year hype? Honestly im not sure but im very happy its happening regardless😁
Let's not put false claims on Sakamoto on Other M. Other M was a passion project for him.

He never worked on Prime.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2009/06/metroid-interview/amp

3BH7wON.png

Okamiden

Non Metriod fans don't understand the magnitude of:

A baseless, no reason, forgotten, false tease message in Metriod Prime 3.

Qm69T5f.jpg

And a direct sequel to Metriod Fusion that pushes the main series forward after countless Prequels

All coming to fruition.
preview.jpg

CuNi

Metroid fans are the worst fans. Worse than FF fans.

People talked shit on Federation Force, Other M, and Samus Returns. All of them are good games. Now they're trashing Dread.

I liked Samus Return, nothing wrong about that. Glad you assumed everyone that when 3 people each criticize 3 different games, it must mean the whole fandom does that to every game. But you do you I guess.
You really think it makes sense to compare a 3D game to a 2D sidescroller? Even comparing the audio makes no sense. This is a 2D sidescrolling shooter designed to look, sound and play like a 2D game. You should be comparing it to NSMB U Deluxe not fucking Odyssey.
Why does comparing the Audio make no sense? When every Switch game, be it 2D, 2.5D or 3D sounds generations ahead of what Dread sounds like, which sounds like a game that came from a Handheld Console like the 3DS or a PSP, then it absolutely makes sense.

You just proved my point. Dread looks infinitely better. And why should I compare an open-world 3D game to a 2.5D Metroid game? If anything you should compare to the other 2.5D games on Switch. Dread looks absolutely fine.

I did not prove your point lol. It is legitimate to compare it to 3D games, because what does it mean when a 3D Game has better Asset Quality and a world that looks more polished than a 2.5D Game.
It's harder to optimize a Open World 3D Game than it is to do the same for a 2.5D Sidescroller. So if the sidescroller looks worse than a 3D Open World game, it's entirely the Devs fault, not the Consoles.

Dr Bass

I liked Samus Return, nothing wrong about that. Glad you assumed everyone that when 3 people each criticize 3 different games, it must mean the whole fandom does that to every game. But you do you I guess.

Why does comparing the Audio make no sense? When every Switch game, be it 2D, 2.5D or 3D sounds generations ahead of what Dread sounds like, which sounds like a game that came from a Handheld Console like the 3DS or a PSP, then it absolutely makes sense.

I did not prove your point lol. It is legitimate to compare it to 3D games, because what does it mean when a 3D Game has better Asset Quality and a world that looks more polished than a 2.5D Game.
It's harder to optimize a Open World 3D Game than it is to do the same for a 2.5D Sidescroller. So if the sidescroller looks worse than a 3D Open World game, it's entirely the Devs fault, not the Consoles.
The audio is bad in Dread? Any YouTube links showing what you mean? That would be a bummer.

There was also the creation of a petition to unmake Federation Force. They are an embarrassment, and officially the worst videogame fanbase. Not 2nd worst, the worst.

Other M is a solid game, just held back by a few really bad design choices. Using the wii remote sideways and using a d pad for 3D movement was absolutely ludicrous and having to point to the screen to go into first person? Terrible.

The story stuff...we don't even need to go there.

This reminds me, i need to complete Metroid Fusion ……
Game still holds up really well. It's a bit on the linear side but still a great game

Livia

Glad to see im not the only one thinking this looks rough and uninspired. You could put another protaginist instead of Samus and nobody would see the difference. I dont know, im glad theres a new Metroid, but this Metroid game doesn't feel like Metroid with its enviroment and gameplay. The world looks bland and Samus looks too strong for the opening hours of the game. The game looks too easy, blasting through enemies and no real threat. Really conflicted on this game..

tommib

Ok, Gaf. Need help. Big Metroid fan here but currently don’t have a Switch. When’s this Pro supposed to launch? Should I get vanilla Switch to play Dread when it comes out? Wait for the Pro? Help

CuNi

There was also the creation of a petition to unmake Federation Force. They are an embarrassment, and officially the worst videogame fanbase. Not 2nd worst, the worst.

I will agree with you that there are people that go way overboard with their opinions. But, and this is not meant to downplay the stupidity of that petition, every fandom has such people.
I mean even here on GAF people unironically call for the head of Playstation to be let go. I think we can all differentiate between critique or disappointment and ridiculous claims.

The audio is bad in Dread? Any YouTube links showing what you mean? That would be a bummer.

This Twitch VOD beginning at 42:30 with it being very bad around the 43:40 and following.
I checked out some YouTube Videos and the Audio seems to be somewhat better over there but still not as clean as I'd like to imagine it, so this might have been a case of a stream issue. On Stream, the sounds all sound very rich in treble to the point that sometimes I feel as if the sounds would be clipping. Like I said, could've be a Twitch-Stream only Issue.

I take my Statement about the Audio back for the moment until we have more Video Material and I'll try to listen to it on YouTube then.

Last edited:

chaseroni

Ok, Gaf. Need help. Big Metroid fan here but currently don’t have a Switch. When’s this Pro supposed to launch? Should I get vanilla Switch to play Dread when it comes out? Wait for the Pro? Help
I'd say if you can, wait a month or so and see if they announce anything about a pro.
Who knows really...

Dr Bass

I will agree with you that there are people that go way overboard with their opinions. But, and this is not meant to downplay the stupidity of that petition, every fandom has such people.
I mean even here on GAF people unironically call for the head of Playstation to be let go. I think we can all differentiate between critique or disappointment and ridiculous claims.

This Twitch VOD beginning at 42:30 with it being very bad around the 43:40 and following.
I checked out some YouTube Videos and the Audio seems to be somewhat better over there but still not as clean as I'd like to imagine it, so this might have been a case of a stream issue. On Stream, the sounds all sound very rich in treble to the point that sometimes I feel as if the sounds would be clipping. Like I said, could've be a Twitch-Stream only Issue.

I take my Statement about the Audio back for the moment until we have more Video Material and I'll try to listen to it on YouTube then.
I can see what you mean somewhat.

I don't know what happened with Nintendo. Think of how classic the soundtracks were for Starfox, Super Metroid and A Link to the Past.

Then think about how cheap Starfox 64 and Zelda OoT sounded by comparison.

I don't think any Metroid game after Super Metroid has measured up in the audio department. And that's so disappointing. Especially after playing a game like Returnal that felt so much like Metroid and had incredible audio.

I wish Nintendo would get back to caring about Audio for ALL of its games.

tommib

I don't know what happened with Nintendo. Think of how classic the soundtracks were for Starfox, Super Metroid and A Link to the Past.

I don't think any Metroid game after Super Metroid has measured up in the audio department. And that's so disappointing. Especially after playing a game like Returnal that felt so much like Metroid and had incredible audio.

I hear you about Returnal but the Prime series had excellent music and sound design, especially Echoes.

Dr Bass

I hear you about Returnal but the Prime series had excellent music and sound design, especially Echoes.
I could never get into them personally. Too electronic and FOR ME forgettable. Like that battle music that constantly popped up when the enemies showed up. Grating. I know a lot of people like them, but music is one of my favorite aspects of games and I always felt let down after Super. Maybe I'll give them another listen.

That's the million dollars question for me too. My wife and I have been sharing a switch. Not sure to get a Vanilla.

daclynk

Sometimes I forget this forum is full of visual fetishists who'll go blind if said visuals' edges can't cut the atom and then thankfully, I find a Nintendo thread.

To everybody else losing their mind at how this is finally happening and how good this looks:

Kiss You Flirting GIF
truth,
Glad im getting Dread after 19 yrs. Haters are going to hate.

e&e

Banned
Game looks awesome! This forum is just filled with a lot of negative bitter people, just go look in all of the game announcement threads over the course of the week. Then go look at the other website and the rest of the internet and you read completely opposite reactions.

On the other hand, where the fuck is Retro and Metroid Prime? What the hell have they been doing? Mercury Steam is going to be releasing 2 Metroid games and in that time they haven’t released fuck all!

Petitions were always dumb but regarding the fanbase, I was disappointed when the game was announced because I was expecting Metroid 5 on the 3DS. I disliked Metroid Prime Hunters and wasn't at all interested in Metroid Prime Federation Force. Simply put, Metroid Prime, the sub-series, was getting more attention at the time than the mainline games that were long dormant.

Now that Metroid Dread is finally a reality, I'm super excited to play it. It's also something Metroid Prime fans can play while they wait for Metroid Prime 4.

Petitions were always dumb but regarding the fanbase, I was disappointed when the game was announced because I was expecting Metroid 5 on the 3DS. I disliked Metroid Prime Hunters and wasn't at all interested in Metroid Prime Federation Force. Simply put, Metroid Prime, the sub-series, was getting more attention at the time than the mainline games that were long dormant.

Now that Metroid Dread is finally a reality, I'm super excited to play it. It's also something Metroid Prime fans can play while they wait for Metroid Prime 4.
I get all that. But the fact remains, the baggage of that fanbase was out of control and obscured reality.

The reality was, Federation Force was a great multiplayer handheld shooter. Probably the best FPS on a handheld ever at the time aside from Killzone Mercenary. Had gyro control and easy pick up and play online co-op. Combat and some simple puzzles. It was well made, and shit on just because of fans throwing a tantrum basically. With any other name on the box it would have been more well received.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
kITTHdD.jpg

Also i like metroid a LOT.

Metroid M was not as bad as people said it was. Heck even federation force with some people was eeeh a thing.
But fuck samus returns holy shit.
And now the same team gets to do metroid 5 🤣

they better be good at it this time around.
Because AM2R shitted all over returns.

CuNi

I agree with you mostly, but I feel like tommib tommib . I really enjoyed Prime 1 and especially Prime 2 OST.
Other games like Fusion, Other M, Prime 3 all had one or two good songs, but with Prime 1 and Prime 2 I nearly loved the whole Soundtrack.
But I feel like this is more because of nostalgia. I got into the Metroid Series with Zero Mission and only later found out about the Prime Series when I got a GameCube. So those "memories" are all close by and that may very well be a reason why I enjoy the Prime Series so much, minus Prime 3.

Maybe that's also why I am so critical about Metroid Dread. Metroid as a franchise was left behind for such a long time that I feel as if Nintendo will drop it once again if Prime 4 and Dread don't produce large sales and that would break my heart.

ssringo

I might be misremembering but I thought a lot of the anger around Federation Force was that it was announced for Metroid's 30th year anniversary and people were pissed that was all we were getting in "celebration".

Personally, I was irritated that it was on handheld (and Samus Returns for that matter). For whatever reason Nintendo's handhelds hurt my fingers to play for longer than 10-15 minutes.

Dr Bass

kITTHdD.jpg

Also i like metroid a LOT.

Metroid M was not as bad as people said it was. Heck even federation force with some people was eeeh a thing.
But fuck samus returns holy shit.
And now the same team gets to do metroid 5 🤣

they better be good at it this time around.
Because AM2R shitted all over returns.
There was someone on this board who said Mercury Steam didn't understand Metroid 2 when remaking it and the game showed. Maybe it was you? Does that sound familiar, and if so, can you explain why?

Love your collection! I love Metroid man. I also think Other M as a GAME wasn't as bad as people said but boy did I get sick of hearing "the baby ..." But I think that format for the game held way more potential than they executed on. I think 3D third person Metroid could be really great.

Dr Bass

I agree with you mostly, but I feel like tommib tommib . I really enjoyed Prime 1 and especially Prime 2 OST.
Other games like Fusion, Other M, Prime 3 all had one or two good songs, but with Prime 1 and Prime 2 I nearly loved the whole Soundtrack.
But I feel like this is more because of nostalgia. I got into the Metroid Series with Zero Mission and only later found out about the Prime Series when I got a GameCube. So those "memories" are all close by and that may very well be a reason why I enjoy the Prime Series so much, minus Prime 3.

Maybe that's also why I am so critical about Metroid Dread. Metroid as a franchise was left behind for such a long time that I feel as if Nintendo will drop it once again if Prime 4 and Dread don't produce large sales and that would break my heart.
It's practically a self fulfilling prophecy, and they do this with both Metroid and StarFox.

"These games won't sell!"

Make a terrible entry in the series ...

"... See??"

Top Bottom