• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption Reviewed - Nintendo Power

Firestorm

bud said:
what did they give to the previous prime games?

They reviewed using a different system. There was no overall score, each reviewer gave their own score. Metroid Prime got 5/5 stars from all 5 reviewers. Metroid Prime 2 got 5/5 stars from 4 reviewers, 4.5 from one. The guy who gave it 4.5 was Chris, who seems to be the one who wrote the review for Metroid Prime 3.

Edit: Back then, NP was pretty biased compared to how they are now. It was E3 2005 when they became more than just a Nintendo marketing tool.

ksamedi

So this game is going to be close with Bioshock in review scores it seems. 1up will lower its average though, those guys dont like the Wii.

Tristam

bluheim said:
All right, that sums it all : biased mag, biased reviews. No way do MP2 deserve such a high score.

Many sane people who actually finished Echoes will agree that while it wasn't as incredible as Prime, it was still a worthy sequel. If you, like most players, stopped in the middle of Torvus Bog, I wouldn't expect you to like the game. It's like stopping in Twilight Princess right after the water temple. You haven't even played the best part of the game yet.

EDIT: Furthermore, NP's score didn't deviate far from the mean: GameRankings has the mean score for Echoes at 9.2 (rounded for simplicity's sake), so NP's score is six tenths of a point above the mean -- not exactly an outlier, now is it?

ksamedi said:
So this game is going to be close with Bioshock in review scores it seems. 1up will lower its average though, those guys dont like the Wii.

It'll be a couple points under. I'm guessing the mean score for Corruption will be around 94% or 95%, whereas BioShock will be around 97% (again, like the original Prime).

Let's wait for some reviews from the other places before jumping. And before anyone complains I subscribe to Nintendo Power and own a Wii.

Just...MP2 gave me motion sickness, the only game ever to.

I want to see IGN's/GameTrailers review.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ksamedi said:

Being just a bit presumptuous. It will score well, but I don't think it will approach Bioshock levels.. I doubt it's going to really wow enough reviewers to really get those 10/10's. I'm thinking an average of 92/93 percent. Still awesome of course.

PedroRVD

thay have been really rude with some latest wii games....Pokemon Battle Revolution comes to mind....

If Matt gives it less than 9.7...this game is a failure.....im buying it anyway.

Tristam said:
Many sane people who actually finished Echoes will agree that while it wasn't as incredible as Prime, it was still a worthy sequel. If you, like most players, stopped in the middle of Torvus Bog, I wouldn't expect you to like the game. It's like stopping in Twilight Princess right after the water temple. You haven't even played the best part of the game yet.
QFT

Tristam

The guys calling for a summary are more than welcome to visit the Nintendo.com message boards and attempt to decipher the photo's contents.

Firestorm

I just realized RE4 for GCN came out in January 05, before the redesign. I think that makes MP3 the only game to get a 10. RE4 for Wii got 9/10.

I could've sworn there was another game with a 10 though...

Linkhero1

Tristam said:
QFT

This is what pisses me off about people who talk shit about MP2. They haven't even finished the game and they're stuck on some part in the middle.

ksamedi

AniHawk said:
Doesn't Shane love it?

I thought he had problems getting used to the controls of MP3 (1up yours), that shows how much playtime he gave the Wii, anyone who played some games on it is used to the aiming and pointer mechanic.

Bit-Bit

ruby_onix said:
Wait, I just realized. THIS is the marketing blitz for Metroid Prime 3 that Kaplan promised.

Umm, the game getting perfect scores is the marketing blitz? How can Kaplan promise that?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
MP2 was technically a better game with a host of improvements to the mechanics and featured a lot of areas that were far superior in design to what MP1 had. What killed it were a large amount of tiny little nitpicks including progress flow and a generally uninteresting setting when compared to the original. Also it's kind of hard to top the feeling of playing a competent Metroid experience in 3D for the first time.

However I still prefer the original by a large amount simply due to how well everything meshed together as a complete package. MP1 just felt right on all counts and focused slightly more on exploration rather than combat, which is what I always preferred in my Metroid games.

dkeane

"Built from scratch for the Wii, Corruption is possibly the first game that can't be confused graphically with the systems of the previous hardware generation"

Messing with the image in photoshop makes it easier to read the poor picture.

AniHawk

If Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is an indicator, all the doubting can stop now- the stunning visuals and immersive gameplay of the finale to the Prime series prove that the Wii is ready for the mainstream gamer.

Built from scratch for the Wii, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is possibly the first game that can't be confused graphically with the system of previous hardware generations.

thefro

From what I could make out:

- First Wii game that you couldn't confuse graphically with last-gen
- Great artwork
- Incredible feeling of immersion
- Flawless level design; tons of freedom to explore but you always have the feeling that you're at the right place at the right time. Sounds like the game does a remarkable job of nudging you as to what to do without giving it away.
- As much an adventure/platformer/puzzle game as FPS (also talks about how the platforming is the best in any FPS).
- Gestures for pulling levers, etc markedly improved from earlier demos

Varjet

Review said:
Built from scratch for the Wii, Corruption is possibly the first game that can't be confused graphically with the previous hardware generation.
Possibly.

edit: beaten :(

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Most of it is completely unreadable. There's a few small sections that I can make out, such as the visuals can't be confused with a last generation game, Samus gets corrupted with Phazon, nunchuk used to perform actions, Corruption is for the mainstream gamer, nothing of interest.

EDIT: Beaten x 3.

Kevtones

I felt that Echoes approached the Metroid formula in the wrong way. The darkworld, while well-executed, wasn't as captivating as the light side, and made it feel like a chore. Instead of designing a game over a dual world mechanic, Retro would've been better to have just added another location or a specific dark world (one not a mirror of the light side).

Linkhero1

thefro said:
From what I could make out:

- First Wii game that you couldn't confuse graphically with last-gen
- Great artwork
- Incredible feeling of immersion
- Flawless level design; tons of freedom to explore but you always have the feeling that you're at the right place at the right time. Sounds like the game does a remarkable job of nudging you as to what to do without giving it away.
- Best platforming design in a first person shooter
- Gestures for pulling levers, etc markedly improved from earlier demos
I can't wait for it to come out. It makes me happy to read this review or at least what we can make out... :D

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
thefro said:

As someone just getting back into the gaming swing of things, this makes me very very happy. My only worry with this game is that it would be way too easy to get lost and too frustrated to continue.

Christine

I've played through Prime and Echoes at least three times each. I prefer Echoes, I find it to be a much better game than its predecessor.

Tristam

AniHawk said:
then how did it get a 10?

I think by "nothing of interest" he means no OMG SPOILERZ.

Anyways, I preordered Corruption, Galaxy, and Brawl at GameStop and all I got was a shitty poster. I hold you personally accountable.

Ah, I've found the photo in the nintendo.com forums and I don't see shit. In the bottom right corner it reads "something something made this one of the most polished something something"....oh, and here "Build from the scratch for the Wii, Corruption is possibly the forst game that can't be confused with the systems of the previous hardware generation."

//edit: Beaten like 1000 times.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
AniHawk said:
then how did it get a 10?
I meant the stuff that is readable in the review is nothing that we don't already know. Nothing that would particularly interest us. Just some of the basic mechanics of the game and some mild opinions.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Target said:
Possibly.

edit: beaten :(

Why bother with the comment retro has done one interview spelling out what graphically is being done on here that wasn't posible on cube. At the very least the comment would easily apply to consoles since pc graphics when it comes to similar engines are still easily in some ways better than corruption.

AniHawk

Tristam said:
I think by "nothing of interest" he means no OMG SPOILERZ.

Anyways, I preordered Corruption, Galaxy, and Brawl at GameStop and all I got was a shitty poster. I hold you personally accountable.

You got a poster? I want a poster.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Firestorm said:
I just realized RE4 for GCN came out in January 05, before the redesign. I think that makes MP3 the only game to get a 10. RE4 for Wii got 9/10.

I could've sworn there was another game with a 10 though...

After NP changed formats they adjusted some of the reviews to fit the new rating system for their review archive. Thus Resident Evil 4 was given a perfect 10

Firestorm

grandjedi6 said:
After NP changed formats they adjusted some of the reviews to fit the new rating system for their review archive. Thus Resident Evil 4 was given a perfect 10

Oh right. So that was it.

Top Bottom