• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption Reviewed - Nintendo Power

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dark Ninja said:
Has Metroid Prime 3 even been on the cover yet?
Also I thought Nintendo Power was going to get cancelled or something

YEs Metroid Prime 3 was on the last cover before this latest one
No, they are trying to sell it to another firm though

No_Style

Kevtones said:
I felt that Echoes approached the Metroid formula in the wrong way. The darkworld, while well-executed, wasn't as captivating as the light side, and made it feel like a chore. Instead of designing a game over a dual world mechanic, Retro would've been better to have just added another location or a specific dark world (one not a mirror of the light side).

I think we can thank Nintendo's fascination with dual-worlds for this one. I mean, they got that guy who did dual-worlds from A Link to The Past, Kensuke Tanabe, to do the exact same technique in MP2.

While I know that Nintendo Power has gone through a renaissance of sorts and taken a few baby steps to becomign an actual legitimate critical source I want to wait for a few other...OHMYGODIDON'TGIVEAFUCKIWANTMETROIDNOW!

Mau ®

So Heavenly Sword gets a 10 from PSM and people scream "BIAS!" but MP3 gets a 10 from Nintendo Power and its cool and stuff.

Double Standard FTW!

Edit: Got the wrong magazine.

inthezone said:
So Heavenly Sword gets a 10 from PSW (actually a multiplat mag) and people scream "BIAS!" but MP3 gets a 10 from Nintendo Power and its cool and stuff.

Double Standard FTW!

PSW = Playstation World

No? Or am I thinking of something else?

DreD

inthezone said:
So Heavenly Sword gets a 10 from PSW (actually a multiplat mag) and people scream "BIAS!" but MP3 gets a 10 from Nintendo Power and its cool and stuff.

Double Standard FTW!

We actually know the track record of Nintendo Power, unlike PSW.

EDIT: And it's PSX Extreme, not PSW (unless you were not talking about http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181263)

Anyway, we shouldn't derail this thread any further...

Tristam

inthezone said:
So Heavenly Sword gets a 10 from PSM and people scream "BIAS!" but MP3 gets a 10 from Nintendo Power and its cool and stuff.

Double Standard FTW!

Actually the "10" was from Play. PSW gave Heavenly Sword an 8.

inthezone said:

Double Standard FTW!

Edit: Got the wrong magazine.

Your accusation might make sense if the two threads were filled with the exact same users having the exact opposite reactions. As it is...

Mau ®

Opus Angelorum said:
PSW = Playstation World

No? Or am I thinking of something else?

No its my fault. There was a HS review that came from a multiplat mag, it scored either a 10 or a 9. Then a lot of posters screamed BIAS even though it was a multiplat source.

AniHawk

inthezone said:
No its my fault. There was a HS review that came from a multiplat mag, it socred either a 10 or a 9. Then a lot of posters screamed BIAS even though it was a multiplat source.
That's because Play Magazine sucks out loud. How can you trust anything from a magazine that gave Sonic PS360 a 9.5?

Tristam

inthezone said:
No its my fault. There was a HS review that came from a multiplat mag, it socred either a 10 or a 9. Then a lot of posters screamed BIAS even though it was a multiplat source.

No one accused Play of bias. Everyone accuses Play of overrating most titles. See: Sonic the Hedgehog.

Mau ®

AniHawk said:
That's because Play Magazine sucks out loud. How can you trust anything from a magazine that gave Sonic PS360 a 9.5?

I did not mention Play. It was PSX Extreme (which IS multiplat)

skanuj0007.jpg

AniHawk

Opus Angelorum said:
Serious? That is...wow.
To his credit, Halverson realized a few months later (when the PS3 version came out), that he had overrated it, and corrected the score... to an 8.5. It's still the highest score the game ever received, by almost a full point.

AniHawk said:
To his credit, Halverson realized a few months later (when the PS3 version came out), that he had overrated it, and corrected the score... to an 8.5. It's still the highest score the game ever received, by almost a full point.

Credit to his admission, it's not the worst game I've played but it's certainly one of the worst Sonic games...

pswii60

Well, if MP3 really is as good as all this hype is leading me to believe, then I won't get to play it until late October (PAL) :(

Tristam

inthezone said:
I did not mention Play. It was PSX Extreme (which IS multiplat)

Regardless, your accusations are without merit unless the individuals who cried foul with the perfect Heavenly Sword score from PSX Extreme (never heard of it) are the same as those swooning over the NP review of Corruption.

ksamedi

Why are we comparing review scores of HS with this again? If it got a good score thats fine, its not like anyone hates great games.

Linkup

thefro said:
From what I could make out:

- First Wii game that you couldn't confuse graphically with last-gen
- Great artwork

Strange, the critics have been saying basically the same things as far as graphics yet many on gaf still want to troll the game for them.

- Incredible feeling of immersion
- Flawless level design; tons of freedom to explore but you always have the feeling that you're at the right place at the right time. Sounds like the game does a remarkable job of nudging you as to what to do without giving it away.
- As much an adventure/platformer/puzzle game as FPS (also talks about how the platforming is the best in any FPS).
- Gestures for pulling levers, etc markedly improved from earlier demos

That part puts a smile on my face.

What issue is Nintendo Power up to now? I remember back a decade ago, 1997 - getting the 100th issue magazine with reviews for Starfox 64 and Goldeneye 007. Also I got a $10 coupon "dossier" promotion in the mail for Goldeneye and wasn't really considering buying it before then, but I used i and bought it. Also got a Starfox 64 VHS video in the mail too. Nintendo Power is one of the cool old standby's, I'd love to go back and read some old SNES era magazines from them. NP, Gamepro, Game Informer, and EGM have stood the test of time over the internet age.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hollywood_mIRC said:
What issue is Nintendo Power up to now? I remember back a decade ago, 1997 - getting the 100th issue magazine with reviews for Starfox 64 and Goldeneye 007. Also I got a $10 coupon "dossier" promotion in the mail for Goldeneye and wasn't really considering buying it before then, but I used i and bought it. Also got a Starfox 64 VHS video in the mail too. Nintendo Power is one of the cool old standby's, I'd love to go back and read some old SNES era magazines from them. NP, Gamepro, Game Informer, and EGM have stood the test of time over the internet age.

This new one is Volume 220

Tristam

rakka said:
Built from scratch?

It's running on the MP1/2 engine. :-\

No, it's not, and neither was Echoes running on the Prime engine. The engines are evolved from each other, sure, but it's like claiming Ocarina of Time runs on the Super Mario 64 engine.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Before everyone comes in to state ITS NINTENDO POWER LOL BIASED- theyre usually more harsh on Nintendo games than other publications/reviewers. Ie they had one of the lower TP scores.

StevieP

Banned
rakka said:
Built from scratch?

Technically, yes, but parts of the engine were rewritten and were advanced for each game (i.e. they rewrote a bunch of stuff for Prime 2, and they did the same for Prime 3). Kinda like Nintendo using the Wind Waker engine as a base for TP but if you weren't told that you probably wouldn't know. If they did an engine from scratch (like EAD is doing for SMG) I'm sure the game would've looked even better, but we'd be waiting a lot longer for an epic title like this. Also, NP is nowhere near as biased as many claim. At least, not anymore.

StevieP said:
Technically, yes, but parts of the engine were rewritten and were advanced for each game (i.e. they rewrote a bunch of stuff for Prime 2, and they did the same for Prime 3). Kinda like Nintendo using the Wind Waker engine as a base for TP but if you weren't told that you probably wouldn't know. If they did an engine from scratch (like EAD is doing for SMG) I'm sure the game would've looked even better, but we'd be waiting a lot longer for an epic title like this. Also, NP is nowhere near as biased as many claim. At least, not anymore.

So you're basically saying to ignore what Retro and NP are saying and listen to you because...?

Tristam

Zoramon089 said:
So you're basically saying to ignore what Retro and NP are saying and listen to you because...?

Actually Retro basically said what StevieP did: that the Echoes engine was modified from the Prime engine and that the Corruption engine was modified from the Echoes engine. Although Corruption's engine is evolved from Prime's, to claim they're running on the same engine is disingenuous at best. As I said, it's like saying that Ocarina of Time runs on the Super Mario 64 engine.

Christine

Tristam said:
Actually Retro basically said what StevieP did: that the Echoes engine was modified from the Prime engine and that the Corruption engine was modified from the Echoes engine. Although Corruption's engine is evolved from Prime's, to claim they're running on the same engine is disingenuous at best. As I said, it's like saying that Ocarina of Time runs on the Super Mario 64 engine.

The SM64 level format is heavily based on the StarFox/Starwing level format, so if you want to streeeetch the hyperbole to the limit, Twilight Princess is basically a SuperFX game.

Chris FOM

The same engine thing is very common, and can still result in some huge shifts with end results that are nearly totally at odds with each other. Mario Sunshine, Zelda Wind Waker, and Zelda twilight Princess all share the same basic engine. Similarly so did Mario 64 and the two N64 Zelda titles.

Ubisoft's Jade engine has powered Beyond good and Evil, all 3 Prince of Persia titles, King Kong, and Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Another drastic example (although going a lot further back) is that all three Marathon games are built on the same engine, despite Marathon 2 modifying it to the point of being unrecognizable. Although never confirmed, rumors also said that early builds of Halo ran on a modified Myth engine as well.

Of course, the best example of modifying an engine would have to be the Unreal engine, which has been modified to hell and back from its inception in 1998. Sure enormous chunks have been rewritten, but the engine that powered the original Unreal way back then is, at its heart, the same one that beats inside Bioshock.

Xavien

Indeed, many games were also run off the Quake Engine (Jedi Knight 2 and 3, Call of Duty, Elite force, Soldier of Fortune, etc etc).

It's been happening for ages and only recently have developers been making engines for their games instead of licensing one and modifying it.

Cheerilee

Bit-Bit said:
Umm, the game getting perfect scores is the marketing blitz? How can Kaplan promise that?
I don't know if you're aware, but back in the NES days, Nintendo Power's game coverage and tone and scores were the direct result of negotiations between Nintendo's top brass (as high as Yamauchi) and the third parties. Nintendo Power was a bargaining chip being tossed around in deals about games print run sizes and development/advertisement/moneyhat budgets.

Since then Nintendo Power's worth as a propaganda tool dropped like a rock, and the top guys stopped influencing it, so the writers started trying to do a better job of pretending to be a videogame magazine (written by regular Nintendo staff). Of course, the top guys kept killing NP by not letting them have demo discs (time spent playing demos is seen as time not spent buying full priced games), and not letting them break news stories (that kind of info is used as leverage with the non-biased publications, to ensure positive coverage of Nintendo's own titles). Nowadays NP is pretty much dead, and Reggie is selling off the corpse because he has no sentimental attachment to it.

Setting aside the suggestions of bias, Matt from IGN had a rant recently about how Metroid Prime 3's coming out in a week and Nintendo wasn't lifting a finger for it, and hadn't even gone as far as to update metroid.com since Hunters came out. Sent to die, and all that.

Perrin Kaplan responded saying that MP3 did have stuff in the works, we just haven't seen it yet. Well, the latest Nintendo Power was in the works. Perrin may well have seen that NP was going to give it 10/10. A finger has been lifted. Advertising blitz confirmed. Not sent to die anymore.

Bit-Bit

ruby_onix said:
I don't know if you're aware, but back in the NES days, Nintendo Power's game coverage and tone and scores were the direct result of negotiations between Nintendo's top brass (as high as Yamauchi) and the third parties. Nintendo Power was a bargaining chip being tossed around in deals about games print run sizes and development/advertisement/moneyhat budgets.

Since then Nintendo Power's worth as a propaganda tool dropped like a rock, and the top guys stopped influencing it, so the writers started trying to do a better job of pretending to be a videogame magazine (written by regular Nintendo staff). Of course, the top guys kept killing NP by not letting them have demo discs (time spent playing demos is seen as time not spent buying full priced games), and not letting them break news stories (that kind of info is used as leverage with the non-biased publications, to ensure positive coverage of Nintendo's own titles). Nowadays NP is pretty much dead, and Reggie is selling off the corpse because he has no sentimental attachment to it.

Setting aside the suggestions of bias, Matt from IGN had a rant recently about how Metroid Prime 3's coming out in a week and Nintendo wasn't lifting a finger for it, and hadn't even gone as far as to update metroid.com since Hunters came out. Sent to die, and all that.

Perrin Kaplan responded saying that MP3 did have stuff in the works, we just haven't seen it yet. Well, the latest Nintendo Power was in the works. Perrin may well have seen that NP was going to give it 10/10. A finger has been lifted. Advertising blitz confirmed. Not sent to die anymore.

Wow, good history lesson. I love hearing this kinda stuff.

Sharp

ruby_onix said:

Yeah they didn't do a Wii channel for it or anything at all. Jesus, man, at least try to hide your bias a little bit. I'm not saying I'd put that past Nintendo but there's no reason to suspect it given what's happened since she said that. Kaplan is full of lies anyway though.

thefro

ruby_onix said:

Doesn't matter, the mag was a pretty good one for the time. Never steered me wrong as far as the game scores went (and I subscribed from the 3rd issue to the early N64 days). Couldn't say the same thing for EGM (remember when they hyped Bubsy up like it was the second coming of Christ?) or Gamepro at the time.

Jirotrom

AniHawk said:
that was a particular reviewer...anywho, ive just been watching more of this game, this is what I want from a 3d metroid game.

rakka

StevieP said:

That's what I meant, yes.

I don't consider a modified engine "ground up".

Perhaps they'll develop an engine specifically for the machine for their next project.

.dmc

Banned
rakka said:
Built from scratch?

Most of gaf has no idea what an engine is. Similar art /= same engine. Good looking game on DS ('oh, it looks good, they must be using the FFIII engine') /= same engine . This accusation could be thrown at a lot of the enthusiast press actually, like Cassamassina complaing that ToS2 is using the ToS1 'engine' even though they look completely fucking different. Or asking if Dewy's was using the same engine as Eledees.. it's completely irrelevant, and just something people throw around to pretend they know something of the technical side of games.

Retro/Metroid specifically, do I correctly remember reading that they completely rewrote the engine between MP1 + MP2?

This game is destined to score at least 0.5 lower than Bioshock just because it's on the Wii. It will still be above 9, though.

The recent bad blood and Wii Fit(seriously) will make sure most reviewers will already have a sour taste in thier mouth coming in.

Top Bottom