• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 announced for Nintendo Switch (New Dev Team, No Footage)

Those fan screenshots literally made me puke.
Seriously, its funny because people got mad when people shit on those fan things saying they do better than Nintendo. Nintendo uses UE4 and made Yoshi and it looks nothing like those things. Those are legit bad visuals. Yeah i can recognize it looks "realistic" and took some time but its still dont look great. Sorry.

I'm of the opposite mindset - they'll probably experiment on control options using Trilogy and then release Trilogy HD to pad the wait for Prime 4.

All I hope is that they don't release it in stupidly limited quantities this time.

That's what I'm thinking (and hoping) they'll do as well. Maybe make it a summer/fall 2018 title.

Please do this Nintendo!

MoonFrog

Yeah I don't think 4 is going. TBH I wouldn't have minded if they moved on from the Prime name now that Metroid Prime is dead and started a new series/name but Prime seems to mean the 3D gameplay to Nintendo.

Wamb0wneD

Yeah I'm also starting to suspect it's been in the works longer than we might think at first. Reggie basically hinted in January that we'd be getting quite a bit of Metroid news this year, and Tanabe hinted that plans seemed nearly underway for a MP4 all the way back in 2015. I wouldn't be surprised if pre-production actually begun in 2016.

Maybe they didn't show any footage because they know the logo alone would be enough to capture people's attention, and that it gives Samus Returns a better chance to stand on its own when it releases.

Then releasing footage later will be just as big of an announcement (if not bigger) than the announcement of the logo itself. Could wind up being very smart marketing.

Yeah, Reggies comments is what made me think this. He said it way back in January which means this game started in 2016. I think they didn't show footage on purpose because let's be honest they don't need too.

I'm predicting we'll see the first gameplay footage at the VGA's in December. Just like BotW in 2014 they announced it at E3 and showed footage at the VGA's. They did show a tiny bit at E3 2014 so my prediction could be off, but if they're a good ways into development I think the VGA's is a nice play to reveal the first footage, especially since it's for the western audience.

I also think MP4 already was a thing in 2016, but it could have been on a conceptual level only while actual development didn' start until earlier this year.

What if they called it "Metroid Prime 4: Resurrection"?

It would make sense in a way. It's the resurrection of the Metroid series, and it's also a nod to Alien Resurrection (Metroid likes to steal a lot from Alien).

let's hope not, lol

It would make sense in a way. It's the resurrection of the Metroid series, and it's also a nod to Alien Resurrection (Metroid likes to steal a lot from Alien).

let's hope not, lol

They should call it Metroid Prime 4: Revengenance

I wonder if the graphics and design will be closer to this:
rypRv4l.png

than to that:
yKo88xD.png

More like the gritty and gloomy classic design, or a more modern, slick, graphical showcasing look?

I don't see why it can't be both.

Like when mario kart went from Wii to 7 on 3DS, the ability to use better shaders helped a lot so I expect the same thing to happen here, it'll be a blend of both those images somewhat.

You guys think we'll get Jennifer Hale back as Samus for Prime 4? That's right, many people don't even know Hale was Samus back then! I know she only grunted and yelled in the first three Primes but Samus has been known for having brief dialogue scenes and/or opening monologues in games even before Other M. I'm guessing Prime 4 will not be very dialogue heavy but what little there might be I would love to have Hale back as Samus.

Whatever helps to wash off Samus' terrible interpretation in Other M down to the lame work that game's actress did.

let's hope not, lol

As long as it's not Metroid Prime 4: Prometheus. That movie was so, so very bad.

Menitta

I do kinda hope the visual style goes for a more realistic style. The Prime series is the one Nintendo series that has always kinda gone for that look, even more than Twilight Princess I'd say. I think the general look I'd be ok with is Norfair in Smash Bros, just looking somewhat better.

Obviously it'd look better than a fighting game stage, but this general style I think would look good.

MoonFrog

As long as it's not Metroid Prime 4: Prometheus. That movie was so, so very bad.

Hmmmm...but then we could have a new version of Adam (not human or computer...perhaps she comes to call Sylux Adam?) give Samus another baby to be traumatized by, in line with that movie.

Clearly, that's what we all really want.

You guys think we'll get Jennifer Hale back as Samus for Prime 4? That's right, many people don't even know Hale was Samus back then! I know she only grunted and yelled in the first three Primes but Samus has been known for having brief dialogue scenes and/or opening monologues in games even before Other M. I'm guessing Prime 4 will not be very dialogue heavy but what little there might be I would love to have Hale back as Samus.

Whatever helps to wash off Samus' terrible interpretation in Other M down to the lame work that game's actress did.

The thing is, the Prime series has always portrayed Samus as a Link/Gorden Freeman-esque character, nothing more than a blank slate for the player to fill in for. The only time I recall her having any dialogue is at the very end of Federation Force (lol) where she honors the player troopers for saving her or whatever. But obviously she's not the main playable character in that game.

It's really only Sakamoto's games where she isn't exactly a silent protagonist in the traditional sense. She only doesn't say much when she doesn't really have anyone to talk to. When she does have someone to talk to, as seen in Fusion and Other M, she does speak and have some sort of characterization. In contrast, Metroid Prime 2 & 3 have other characters and aliens speaking to her, and yet she doesn't say a word. I'd say that shows their intentions.

So yeah, I wouldn't expect any noteworthy dialogue coming out of Samus in this game at all.

KingBroly

Banned
In the UE4 one? It looks pretty amateurish. I'm guessing someone made a quick and dirty Samus model to use in a standard UE4 demo.

What I mean is it's a bit too obvious of what it's trying to be. So...I have to think the people at Epic know what games are being made in their engine.

Assuming it is something Epic did as a tech demo, of course

Hmmmm...but then we could have a new version of Adam (not human or computer...perhaps she comes to call Sylux Adam?) give Samus another baby to be traumatized by, in line with that movie.

Clearly, that's what we all really want.

The only people traumatized by that movie were the viewers. But that's off-topic.

What I mean is it's a bit too obvious of what it's trying to be. So...I have to think the people at Epic know what games are being made in their engine.

Assuming it is something Epic did as a tech demo, of course

No no, I mean the background in that screen is from a built-in UE4 demo. The walls, statues, and even that exact room I recall from playing around with that demo.

The arm cannon itself must have just been a ripped Samus model that someone put into that demo as a Metroid Prime mockup.

The thing is, the Prime series has always portrayed Samus as a Link/Gorden Freeman-esque character, nothing more than a blank slate for the player to fill in for. The only time I recall her having any dialogue is at the very end of Federation Force (lol) where she honors the player troopers for saving her or whatever. But obviously she's not the main playable character in that game.

It's really only Sakamoto's games where she isn't exactly a silent protagonist in the traditional sense. She only doesn't say much when she doesn't really have anyone to talk to. When she does have someone to talk to, as seen in Fusion and Other M, she does speak and have some sort of characterization. In contrast, Metroid Prime 2 & 3 have other characters and aliens speaking to her, and yet she doesn't say a word. I'd say that shows their intentions.

So yeah, I wouldn't expect any noteworthy dialogue coming out of Samus in this game at all.
I hope that's not the case. In MP1 and 2 it wasn't much of a problem because she never has anyone to talk to but in MP3 it was just jarring seeing her surrounded by characters talking to her and she not talking.

Samus, before Prime, was never a silent protagonist. She was a character with few lines of dialogue but never purposely silent like Gordon Freeman. Even in Fusion which launched on the same day as Prime 1 she spoke via written dialogue!

I don't want Prime 4 to become Metal Gear of course but if there's a scene where it makes sense to have her speak, even if it's a little, she should. And if that happens I'd love for Hale to reprise her role.

I don't want Prime 4 to become Metal Gear of course but if there's a scene where it makes sense to have her speak, even if it's a little, she should. And if that happens I'd love for Hale to reprise her role.

Speaking of Metal Gear, Samus could speak (in text or audio) in the scan log descriptions and instead of those being sterile, encyclopedia-esque fare, it could be from her perspective, closer to codec calls.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

I'm sure that Nintendo learned many brutal lessons from Other M but surely the characterisation of Samus is the biggest one. They must know by now that players do not want any more of what Sakamoto served up in that game. Metroid is like a sister series to Alien, but even in it's very worst entries, Ripley was never reduced to a male-dominated simpleton with vapid, childish inner thoughts that stopped her from behaving rationally.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
rypRv4l.png

than to that:
yKo88xD.png

More like the gritty and gloomy classic design, or a more modern, slick, graphical showcasing look?

I like how you are inferring that gloomy and classic cant be slick nor a graphical showcase.

When Prime came out, it was THE graphical showcase. Game will look good and have very advanced shaders. Whether theyre going for photoreal or not is up for debate, but seeing past games and that this is the Prime franchise on a console, they will probably be going more realistic than their usual IPs

MoonFrog

While we're talking aesthetics, it is worth (is it?) repeating that I'd love a cell-shaded Nausicaa alien horror look.

The only people traumatized by that movie were the viewers. But that's off-topic.

I think a Metroid sex scene (with an alien she decided to call Adam) followed by Samus giving birth to a monster and lamenting "the baby" as it chased her would also traumatize the players. So the chain could continue.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Most important thing about the art design is that it keeps the level of environmental detail. I cannot wait to see those lavish Prime environments, the steam/rain, the visor effects all in HD. It's going to look amazing.

Most important thing about the art design is that it keeps the level of environmental detail. I cannot wait to see those lavish Prime environments, the steam/rain, the visor effects all in HD. It's going to look amazing.

Exactly - I really hope they keep going for 'realism' rather than change it up and go for something more cartoony or cel-shaded.

MoonFrog

I'm assuming it'll just be a modernized Prime look, which, idk, never struck me as realism, but that could just be the fantastical fauna/flora talking.

But yeah, I'd be perfectly fine with that continuing.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Considering that Metroid: Samus Returns got a new logo (i.e. not the metal Metroid Prime logo) and the logo for Metroid Prime 4 is likely a placeholder, I decided to create a mockup of a logo that doesn't detour too much from the metal logo but also offers better readability and a modern look:

mp4_logo_mockupgbu0y.png

I played around with a bunch of textures and whatnot, but a clean look I think fits the series.

Darkangel

I do kinda hope the visual style goes for a more realistic style. The Prime series is the one Nintendo series that has always kinda gone for that look, even more than Twilight Princess I'd say. I think the general look I'd be ok with is Norfair in Smash Bros, just looking somewhat better.

Obviously it'd look better than a fighting game stage, but this general style I think would look good.

I miss Prime 1 Samus

54745754751gcuwd.gif

MoonFrog

I'm pretty sure Samus will continue to be cartoony, Zero Suit Samus. I think they've settled on that look.

It would be interesting, though, if Prime 4 offered a less stylized version of that look. Maybe I'd like it better? IDK. I've never been a big Samus out-of-the-suit proponent.

KooopaKid

Banned
I hope, although it bears the name 4, that Nintendo breathofthewildizes Metroid Prime.
A similar looking game to 1, 2, 3 would be disappointing for me. They need to rethink the combat for instance.

MoonFrog

Zelda can experiment with open world and RPG--that was always part of Zelda's DNA.

Metroid is a much more streamlined puzzle/gadget experience and I really want it to remain as such.

Roo

rypRv4l.png

than to that:
yKo88xD.png

Nintendo completely nailed it with the materials, shaders, art style and overall atmosphere of Breath of The Wild.
I see absolutely no reason to believe they won't do the same with Metroid that already has a defined art style and goes after somehow more realistic graphics.

Lunar15

Metroid's been going towards a neon-comic book flair, so I don't see any reason why Prime 4 wouldn't follow that mold in some way.

Wasn't there a tease for another Metroid Prime game at the end of Federation Force? Do we think they'll have Prime 4 pick up from there?

Christine

If anything Metroid should get smaller

I don't know about smaller, but I'd like to see a more fully integrated map. Corruption frequently gets criticized for its more segmented and separate "planet" maps, but I think to some extent the recollection of Prime that it's being compared to is slightly false. Prime did not and does not have a single unified map space, it's five different zones linked by loading elevators. The difference between the map design of Prime and Corruption is less literally structural and more about what that structure is employed to represent.

There's a point of interest in Corruption where you find a shortcut between the two major portions of the Bryyo map. Prior to this they had seemed like two separate areas you needed to use the ship to travel between, but they are actually just different portions of a single integrated area. It's a really cool little moment of 'oh so this is where I am'. So I'm not saying "don't use elevators". It's fine if there are elevators or other transition devices that move you from place to place without really connecting up the areas--but I'd like for there to also be paths and routes that do attach everything to each other and for the map to ultimately become something like a single integrated space. I think there are some nice opportunities with this sort of design, you could have something happen that makes an elevator not work until you find a new way by foot back to the other end of the thing so you can reactivate it.

MoonFrog

I don't know about smaller, but I'd like to see a more fully integrated map. Corruption frequently gets criticized for its more segmented and separate "planet" maps, but I think to some extent the recollection of Prime that it's being compared to is slightly false. Prime did not and does not have a single unified map space, it's five different zones linked by loading elevators. The difference between the map design of Prime and Corruption is less literally structural and more about what that structure is employed to represent.

There's a point of interest in Corruption where you find a shortcut between the two major portions of the Bryyo map. Prior to this they had seemed like two separate areas you needed to use the ship to travel between, but they are actually just different portions of a single integrated area. It's a really cool little moment of 'oh so this is where I am'. So I'm not saying "don't use elevators". It's fine if there are elevators or other transition devices that move you from place to place without really connecting up the areas--but I'd like for there to also be paths and routes that do attach everything to each other and for the map to ultimately become something like a single integrated space. I think there are some nice opportunities with this sort of design, you could have something happen that makes an elevator not work until you find a new way by foot back to the other end of the thing so you can reactivate it.

TBH I think there is an important structural difference, other than the loading screens.

In Prime 1 you did a healthy chunk of the Chozo ruins (did not finish them), went quickly through Magmoor Caverns as en-route to Phendrana, did a chunk of Phendrana, returned to the overworld, and so on.

In Prime 2 and 3 you largely worked on one unified area and then moved on to the next at a regular clip as opposed to working your way through the labyrinth in an irregular fashion.

Sure, you went back to Icy Bryyo and in Echoes I think there was always a quick jaunt back to the previous area, but 2 and 3 were very much "temple" oriented, like a Zelda, whereas Prime 1 was more unpredictable. You had your extended journeys, your action set-pieces, your through-visits, your unguarded power-ups, your bosses, etc.

In Prime 1, you are repeatedly weaving the world together with your through-travel.

MoonFrog

What could mimic the "one planet" thing on many planets is exploring a single interstellar civilization where the planets fit together to tell a single story.

In Prime 3 the planet stories were disparate, so you weren't always fleshing the same thing out.

Like say you work from the frontier outposts, the breadbasket periphery, etc. towards the socio-political/economic center of a dead society for some reason.

TrueBlue

I actually feel the MP3/Brawl version of ZSS is a nice compromise between the MP1 and later versions. Maybe it's the fact she looks so stern.

Someone already mentioned the Hunters version, and that works too.

Christine

TBH I think there is an important structural difference, other than the loading screens.

In Prime 1 you did a healthy chunk of the Chozo ruins (did not finish them), went quickly through Magmoor Caverns as en-route to Phendrana, did a chunk of Phendrana, returned to the overworld, and so on.

In Prime 2 and 3 you largely worked on one unified area and then moved on to the next at a regular clip as opposed to working your way through the labyrinth in an irregular fashion.

Sure, you went back to Icy Bryyo and in Echoes I think there was always a quick jaunt back to the previous area, but 2 and 3 were very much "temple" oriented, like a Zelda, whereas Prime 1 was more unpredictable. You had your extended journeys, your action set-pieces, your through-visits, your unguarded power-ups, your bosses, etc.

In Prime 1, you are repeatedly weaving the world together with your through-travel.

The biggest real structural differences are that in Corruption the Ship-o-vater can take you to any other Ship-o-vater location and that Prime's map doesn't connect up with itself in as many nodes as its sequels. Phendrana is the most notable example of this with the only access being through Magmoor.

Top Bottom