• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 announced for Nintendo Switch (New Dev Team, No Footage)

Instro

Best Samus by a mile. She actually looks like she's been through some genuine shit, but she's tough as fuck at the same time.

The supermodel look of Echoes-onward never gelled with me given the backstory and occupation of the character.

Not fond of the design personally. She doesn't look like anything, it's just rather generic. Not that I need supermodel Samus, but that's how she has looked since the beginning, whereas Prime is the outlier. The main thing that has changed from her skimpy outfits appearances in first 3 games that bothers me is that the character had some actual muscle definition, that we never see in the current zero suit look. Other M has the best 3D model we've seen of her though, Retro's attempts in all 3 were lame.

HelloMeow

than to that:
yKo88xD.png

What I see here is nice environment art with a Samus model that was ripped from Other M with some poor materials slapped on. It doesn't look good at all.

MoonFrog

The biggest real structural differences are that in Corruption the Ship-o-vater can take you to any other Ship-o-vater location and that Prime's map doesn't connect up with itself in as many nodes as its sequels. Phendrana is the most notable example of this with the only access being through Magmoor.

Perhaps simply looking at the map, but my point was more how the games took you through the map, on a linear, straight-to-business but no sequence breaking route. Prime 1 is an outlier in that regard.

This is something I notice a lot when I replay the games. 2 and 3 are much more like Zelda games and much more like Fusion. Prime's more irregular flow is more like Super Metroid.

I do think, on this gameplay front, Echoes and Corruption are pretty much in the same boat.

On a lore level, Echoes and Prime 1 have more in common than Corruption. Aether is a single unified world and what you learn in one place informs what you learned elsewhere. Same with Tallon IV. The Corruption worlds are, however, largely self-contained.

Not fond of the design personally. She doesn't look like anything, it's just rather generic. Not that I need supermodel Samus, but that's how she has looked since the beginning, whereas Prime is the outlier. The main thing that has changed from her skimpy outfits appearances in first 3 games that bothers me is that the character had some actual muscle definition, that we never see in the current zero suit look. Other M has the best 3D model we've seen of her though, Retro's attempts in all 3 were lame.

Yeah, I'd rather strong, athletic Samus be a thing. Been moving towards short steamy sexpot Samus for a while now and it is just unfortunate, imo.

Nairume

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if Metroid Prime 4 is a holiday 2018 title. Showing a logo doesn't mean much when it comes to Nintendo. It doesn't tell you how long they've been in development for.

I still think it'll be a 2019 title though.
I'm reminded of the reaction to the FE Warriors reveal not having any gameplay made people seriously question the claim that it was going to be a 2017 game, much less a Fall 2017 one.

And then we got gameplay footage a couple weeks later and it was obvious the game was further along than anybody thought.

DMONKUMA

I'm reminded of the reaction to the FE Warriors reveal not having any gameplay made people seriously question the claim that it was going to be a 2017 game, much less a Fall 2017 one.

And then we got gameplay footage a couple weeks later and it was obvious the game was further along than anybody thought.

Too be fair FE Warriors is a musou game and they get done fairly quick.

I was taking you seriously until that sentence. I'm sorry but Samus with fully integrated high heels into her Zero Suit and a sexy new mole on her face automatically disqualify her in the run for the best 3D model of her. Jesus.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't know about smaller, but I'd like to see a more fully integrated map. Corruption frequently gets criticized for its more segmented and separate "planet" maps, but I think to some extent the recollection of Prime that it's being compared to is slightly false. Prime did not and does not have a single unified map space, it's five different zones linked by loading elevators. The difference between the map design of Prime and Corruption is less literally structural and more about what that structure is employed to represent.

There's a point of interest in Corruption where you find a shortcut between the two major portions of the Bryyo map. Prior to this they had seemed like two separate areas you needed to use the ship to travel between, but they are actually just different portions of a single integrated area. It's a really cool little moment of 'oh so this is where I am'. So I'm not saying "don't use elevators". It's fine if there are elevators or other transition devices that move you from place to place without really connecting up the areas--but I'd like for there to also be paths and routes that do attach everything to each other and for the map to ultimately become something like a single integrated space. I think there are some nice opportunities with this sort of design, you could have something happen that makes an elevator not work until you find a new way by foot back to the other end of the thing so you can reactivate it.

"Small" is the wrong word for me to use, but definitely compact and more tightly interwoven. Passageways and caves and labs that are designed as a unified whole, wrapping in and around themselves and revealed to the player in a gradual, escalating way. Prime 1 didn't carry this out to its maximum potential, but it came much closer than MP3 imo, which often felt too wide open. It was more like Dark Souls, where paths intersected at points, but it wasn't nearly as intimately interconnected as I would ideally like to see from Metroid.

What I am asking for is definitely not something Metroid has always done... but hey, people are asking for BotW style Metroid so I can ask for this. :p

This is a complicated situation, because on one hand they need to recapture the magic of a 3D Metroid, but, they can't play it safe. They need to have some fun with things and take a risk or two in order to make it stand out because you know we the fans are going to judge it based on the previous 3 entries.

I have faith in Nintendo, but we won't know until it's here.

wwm0nkey

Thinking about it, I'm actually super sure they will use UE4 for this game. It's probably better than building a whole new engine and UE4 is great for FPS games

Instro

I was taking you seriously until that sentence. I'm sorry but Samus with fully integrated high heels into her Zero Suit and a sexy new mole on her face automatically disqualify her in the run for the best 3D model of her. Jesus.

As compared to what though? Of the 3 Retro attempts one is a big nothing, and we only have a face shot, and the other 2 are hideous.

Toxi

Banned
I don't know about smaller, but I'd like to see a more fully integrated map. Corruption frequently gets criticized for its more segmented and separate "planet" maps, but I think to some extent the recollection of Prime that it's being compared to is slightly false. Prime did not and does not have a single unified map space, it's five different zones linked by loading elevators. The difference between the map design of Prime and Corruption is less literally structural and more about what that structure is employed to represent.

There's a point of interest in Corruption where you find a shortcut between the two major portions of the Bryyo map. Prior to this they had seemed like two separate areas you needed to use the ship to travel between, but they are actually just different portions of a single integrated area. It's a really cool little moment of 'oh so this is where I am'. So I'm not saying "don't use elevators". It's fine if there are elevators or other transition devices that move you from place to place without really connecting up the areas--but I'd like for there to also be paths and routes that do attach everything to each other and for the map to ultimately become something like a single integrated space. I think there are some nice opportunities with this sort of design, you could have something happen that makes an elevator not work until you find a new way by foot back to the other end of the thing so you can reactivate it.
I would love changing Metroid world design to one big integrated map that you slowly unlock new parts of and connections between. It's like the first half of Dark Souls where you can walk from the depths of Ash Lake all the way to the top of Sen's Fortress without a single loading screen.

kunonabi

Perhaps simply looking at the map, but my point was more how the games took you through the map, on a linear, straight-to-business but no sequence breaking route. Prime 1 is an outlier in that regard.

This is something I notice a lot when I replay the games. 2 and 3 are much more like Zelda games and much more like Fusion. Prime's more irregular flow is more like Super Metroid.

I do think, on this gameplay front, Echoes and Corruption are pretty much in the same boat.

On a lore level, Echoes and Prime 1 have more in common than Corruption. Aether is a single unified world and what you learn in one place informs what you learned elsewhere. Same with Tallon IV. The Corruption worlds are, however, largely self-contained.

Yeah, I'd rather strong, athletic Samus be a thing. Been moving towards short steamy sexpot Samus for a while now and it is just unfortunate, imo.

That's been her since the beginning. If anything her recent short hair and Other M ending designs have been the best ones she's ever had.

Mael

Fuck if anyone should care about the Samus model,
the parts that we should be on the lookout for are the art direction, enemy design, level design, environment design, music, controls.
If the game is in 1st person you see Samus most of the time anyway.
And dear god do not reuse the shit Other M designs, it's a fucking doll compared to the other armor designs.

ClintMaxwell

Neo Member
Nintendo should make this rated M if they're feeling ballsy enough. I hate the outcry for them to do some M-rated Zelda game, but I think Metroid could actually benefit from having more grotesque enemy designs, horror atmosphere, a certain amount of gore, and so on.

OrionFalls

Nintendo should make this rated M if they're feeling ballsy enough. I hate the outcry for them to do some M-rated Zelda game, but I think Metroid could actually benefit from having more grotesque enemy designs, horror atmosphere, a certain amount of gore, and so on.
I’d love an Alien Isolation-like game. You could have SA-X stalking you through the corridors of a crashed ship, similar to how the Xenomorph does. Samus herself is stripped of all weapons at the start, in the usual Metroid style, so you have to rely on instincts to survive. But, as you progress, you upgrade your arsenal so you can take it on at the end.

The ship is the first third, the surrounding areas of the planet are the second third, and the last third takes part on a ship in space. The corridors of the crashed ship and jungle surrounding on the planet offer plenty of atmosphere and opportunities for Nintendo to delve further into mature themes, such as corpses hanging from trees, blood sprayed on walls, etc.

I think an M-rated Zelda will never happen, but Metroid is the perfect IP to explore adult themes. I just hope they take this opportunity to expand their fan base.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Buuuuttttt in comparison to sonys superior line up, the switches Exclusive line up is uncompelling.

Only joking.

On topic, that screenshot a few posts above looks like a mobile UE4 demo.

Blam

Buuuuttttt in comparison to sonys superior line up, the switches Exclusive line up is uncompelling.

Only joking.

On topic, that screenshot a few posts above looks like a mobile UE4 demo.

That's actually exactly what it is. The guy who made that "makes" stuff like that all the time. Ports models into UE4, and then people praise him as the next Peter Molyneux.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yep. For a split second there, I thought a trailer had been released and then the crushing weight of reality hit me when I realised this was an old thread.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
When do you think we will see some gameplay footage,Im guessing around E3 time?

I wonder if this metroid will match the scope of the big budget FPS's of xbox and ps4 or if it will be more focused on gameplay and not have the Hollywood spectacle modern day shooters have.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I’d love an Alien Isolation-like game. You could have SA-X stalking you through the corridors of a crashed ship, similar to how the Xenomorph does. Samus herself is stripped of all weapons at the start, in the usual Metroid style, so you have to rely on instincts to survive. But, as you progress, you upgrade your arsenal so you can take it on at the end.

The ship is the first third, the surrounding areas of the planet are the second third, and the last third takes part on a ship in space. The corridors of the crashed ship and jungle surrounding on the planet offer plenty of atmosphere and opportunities for Nintendo to delve further into mature themes, such as corpses hanging from trees, blood sprayed on walls, etc.

You know, that sounds really good in concept.
I was looking forward to Alien Isolation,
but then I played it..just wasn't fun. I don't think I'm that fond of the concept anymore.

But kudos to you for your imagination, the second paragraph you wrote is really great,
I hope they listen to you.

But I'd like just a part of the game to be like that,
there's already SO MANY gory games,
it's almost the only thing that's done anymore.
I'd love the game to have a moody, and more natural feel for most of it, personally.
But if they can a good section of it could be like that, would be great.

Top Bottom