• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 - Game delayed, development completely restarted, Retro Studios now working on it

Whitesnake

Banned
For those upset by the news, comfort yourself with these wise words:

Dxw6m7VWkAIe_95.jpg

“creator of Star Fox Zero”

lmao

Last edited:

Hobbesian

Banned
This is weird. For some reason I thought Retro Studios already WAS developing the game and that this Twitter video was just an attempt to shame Western development.

Why weren't Retro Studios working on this game in the first place? It's a Prime game.

I am pretty sure I am not the only one who has bought Metroid Prime 1-3. But if I am, maybe I should start selling tickets for people to play it at my home.

EDIT: Upon checking, you can get all three together around 60€ for Wii (which sold 100 million times) on ebay, both US or PAL. Too bad, no good business opportunity for me here :(.
Those people selling it on ebay are clearly upset that they already can play it on Gamecube and it existing on Wii ruined there life.

Pejo

This sucks, though I'm happy that Retro is back on it.

I guess it's going to be another year of WiiU ports.

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
I clearly wasn’t expecting this kind of news to happen without warning.

I mean I’m glad they got Retro back at helm, but we still don’t know what they’ve been doing prior to the development update.

And honestly, how can Nintendo misnage one of their most anticipated releases ?
They simply outsourced it. Zelda they do in-house. Mario in-house, Pokémon in-house(GameFreaks is the titular to the games, so...), Kirby in-house. The last 2 metroids and the last Fzero were outsourced. This says a lot about their priorities

Last edited:
Well one could argue that in this release now patch later era that quote doesn't really work. Just check No Man Sky that became an actually good game.
Personally if it's bad at launch I never support it. If the disc version is trash, no buy. No reason to with so many games available.

Also lol at that game being good

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Those people selling it on ebay are clearly upset that they already can play it on Gamecube and it existing on Wii ruined there life.
You wouldn't see me complaining if ports of old stuff were not making up the majority of Nintendo's scarce Switch line up as is already.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
unfortunate but the confirmation that it's Retro is a nice guarantee.

also, feel like the urge to placate the impatient w a Trilogy Remaster for Switch will be notable.

personally, im drowning in games on my Switch at the moment. no biggie.

MrRogers

With how long modern AAA titles take to develop nowadays, MP4 will be released in 2023 at the earliest. Switch released March 2017. By 2023 there could be a Switch 2, or certainly more powerful variations of the current switch. Nintendo essentially is announcing a next gen release. Retro I'm sure, still has talented developers, but almost everyone who made the original trilogy is gone, so there is no guarantees for the quality of the title anyways... oh and if Retro hasn't already completed a game, such as the oft-mentioned star fox grand prix (hint they haven't) and its to be released this year, it could mean they will go ten years between releases, 2013 DK:TF to 2023 mp4. They are entering valve/half-life levels of irrelevancy on that schedule.

Last edited:
It’s nice that they’re being transparent and resetting expectations, but I feel like they’ve blown it with January announcements. Why did we only get a Euro Indie Direct? Why wasn’t Yoshi’s Crafted World part of a Direct instead of a stand-alone announcement. What is going on with the rumored Retro game? Is it releasing this year or did it get canceled too? I would have released this video and followed it within a few days by a Direct covering at least part of the first half of 2019 and then region specific Indie Directs after that.

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
Oh, is it a coincidence, or the cursed number in Japanese is 4? I think it means disgrace. The 444 squad on Ace Combat made me realize that.

StormCell

This is weird. For some reason I thought Retro Studios already WAS developing the game and that this Twitter video was just an attempt to shame Western development.

Why weren't Retro Studios working on this game in the first place? It's a Prime game.

Because they were in development hell on their own original work. And then... they started work on a Star Fox racing game.

People worried about the original staff not being there shouldn't be that worried. The management is still there. The people who know what Metroid Prime should taste like... are still there. I'm also sure some of that talent from the original trilogy will make their way back as that seems to be a common thing to do.

Talk about a black eye for Nintendo. Then again, Metroid is the one IP I imagine they struggle the most with given how poorly it sells in comparison to their other properties (and how much they have to put into it to make it stand out against a genre that excels elsewhere).

You think there was much work done on this game when they announced it? I don't.
The cynical view would be Nintendo announced the project purely to sell systems, without any work having been started on the actual project. I'm giving the company the benefit of the doubt and assuming they greenlit the project with some pre-production materials in place, like design documents and rough concept art, and possibly some proof-of-concept tech/graphics demos. At the very least, material should exist for the game at this point, and it'd be enlightening to see what Nintendo decided to kill.

dirthead

Banned
Nintendo's clueless. People keep asking for an actual 2D Metroid follow up made by Nintendo of Japan. For some reason, they're obsessed with outsourcing this series or dumping it on Western 2nd party developers. Why the fuck do they keep trying to outsource it? You'd have to be as dumb as a sack of bricks to think that Tecmo, Bandai, or MercurySteam is capable of making a game that lives up to the legacy of Super Metroid.

No one wants shitty pseudo 2D games like the 3DS Metroid. No one wants another Prime game. There's nowhere to go with it. Prime 2 and 3 were irrelevant, and getting the same type of game repeatedly just wears down the brand after a while. They need to break things up a bit. It's time for something that isn't just a copy and paste of 2002's Prime.

I can't believe people are paid to be as stupid as Nintendo's executive management. Man they're dumb.

You wouldn't see me complaining if ports of old stuff were not making up the majority of Nintendo's scarce Switch line up as is already.
I don't like it either, but it's not like these remasters not existing would suddenly make Nintendo actually there new games made and better 3rd party support..... Would rather have Prime 4, but they fucked up, so having Metroid Prime, pro controller or bust, would still be nice......

Last edited:

MrRogers

Damn, I bought a switch for this game. Now i gotta wait years for it.

Hell It's quite possible you might have to buy a completely new Nintendo (next-gen) console to play it. That's the kind of time needed to finish a project such as this, from scratch. Especially from a snail-paced studio like retro.

Maguro

Nintendo's clueless. People keep asking for an actual 2D Metroid follow up made by Nintendo of Japan. For some reason, they're obsessed with outsourcing this series or dumping it on Western 2nd party developers. Why the fuck do they keep trying to outsource it? You'd have to be as dumb as a sack of bricks to think that Tecmo, Bandai, or MercurySteam is capable of making a game that lives up to the legacy of Super Metroid.

No one wants shitty pseudo 2D games like the 3DS Metroid. No one wants another Prime game. There's nowhere to go with it. Prime 2 and 3 were irrelevant, and getting the same type of game repeatedly just wears down the brand after a while. They need to break things up a bit. It's time for something that isn't just a copy and paste of 2002's Prime.

I can't believe people are paid to be as stupid as Nintendo's executive management. Man they're dumb.
I don't agree. 2D 8 and 16bit Pixel games are my Favorites. Would love6a new Metroid in that style. Prime is cool too but I would also like a third person Metroidvania

dirthead

Banned
I don't agree. 2D 8 and 16bit Pixel games are my Favorites. Would love6a new Metroid in that style. Prime is cool too but I would also like a third person Metroidvania

I think we're agreeing. I said that no one wants a shitty pseudo 2D game with 3D graphics like the 3DS Metroid. I agree that people want a 2D Metroid.

Controversial take: Outside of Zelda and some others, Nintendo's games are really just well-polished indie games.

I don't think it's that controversial. In fact, I think you can make a solid argument that Zelda IS a well polished indie level game, and their other games are borderline shovelware.

Look at BOTW. It has no content. They didn't even produce real dungeons for it. It actually DOES feel like a barebones indie game.

Last edited:

Maguro

Look at BOTW. It has no content. They didn't even produce real dungeons for it. It actually DOES feel like a barebones indie game.
That is really why i haven't bought it yet. I hate that they deleted classic dungeons... Don't need a survival sim.

StormCell

I don't think it's that controversial. In fact, I think you can make a solid argument that Zelda IS a well polished indie level game, and their other games are borderline shovelware.

Yeah but... look at the rest of the video game landscape. It's pretty friggin' boring. All the shooters feel the same. All the third party adventure games are based off the same templates. Everything is just so safe and sterile.

dirthead

Banned
Yeah but... look at the rest of the video game landscape. It's pretty friggin' boring. All the shooters feel the same. All the third party adventure games are based off the same templates. Everything is just so safe and sterile.

I agree that video games are boring in general right now, but honestly, I think Nintendo is among the most boring of any of them. It's like, this year, Sekiro is honestly the only game I'm looking forward to, which is kind of dull in and of itself because we all know it's basically another Souls game with more jumping. When that's your most exciting title, something's deeply wrong.

Look at the excitement over something like the RE2 remake, which is another indication of how shit everything is. It's like, oh look, here's a RE2/RE4 hybrid with higher quality production values. I played RE4 in 2005. It's nothing new. There's really no exciting developments going on right now.

The Souls games were the last legitimately novel game concept. People talk about hitting diminishing returns on graphics, but that's not it. Graphics are still exponentially improving. What we're hitting diminishing returns on is input schemes. What else can you do with a N64 gamepad? That's really the question. Everything is the same.

We need better interfaces that actually allow us to do new things that we couldn't do before. If you look at the history of games, we were constantly getting significant updates to input systems that made new types of gameplay possible, and it's hit a brick wall. It's one of the reasons VR is failing. There's no input scheme for it. Immersive VR is useless when your controls are shit and you're still using an Xbox pad to actually do things, and none of the motion controls have actually been an objective improvement over previous input systems, so it's all stalled out.

FZW

Hell It's quite possible you might have to buy a completely new Nintendo (next-gen) console to play it. That's the kind of time needed to finish a project such as this, from scratch. Especially from a snail-paced studio like retro.
:(

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I think we're agreeing. I said that no one wants a shitty pseudo 2D game with 3D graphics like the 3DS Metroid. I agree that people want a 2D Metroid.

I'm not sure I would agree that BOTW falls in that category....but most others do: New Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Yoshi, Kirby. Hell even a mainline 3D mario game like Odyssey....this ain't 1996 anymore....the gaming landscape has moved long away where that type of game would be considered even remotely at the forefront of gaming. Most of those games fall more closer to the indie side of the spectrum than the modern AAA side of the spectrum. They are certainly more polished than most indies but I also would not consider them a modern AAA game.

Kazza

Now Metroid is definitely confirmed as not coming out in 2019, does Nintendo have any other big games in the pipeline for this year? I thought the Switch was supposed to consolidate the console/handheld line up and avoid any software droughts, and yet here we are...

StormCell

I agree that video games are boring in general right now, but honestly, I think Nintendo is among the most boring of any of them. It's like, this year, Sekiro is honestly the only game I'm looking forward to, which is kind of dull in and of itself because we all know it's basically another Souls game with more jumping. When that's your most exciting title, something's deeply wrong.

Look at the excitement over something like the RE2 remake, which is another indication of how shit everything is. It's like, oh look, here's a RE2/RE4 hybrid with higher quality production values. I played RE4 in 2005. It's nothing new. There's really no exciting developments going on right now.

The Souls games were the last legitimately novel game concept. People talk about hitting diminishing returns on graphics, but that's not it. Graphics are still exponentially improving. What we're hitting diminishing returns on is input schemes. What else can you do with a N64 gamepad? That's really the question. Everything is the same.

We need better interfaces that actually allow us to do new things that we couldn't do before. If you look at the history of games, we were constantly getting significant updates to input systems that made new types of gameplay possible, and it's hit a brick wall. It's one of the reasons VR is failing. There's no input scheme for it. Immersive VR is useless when your controls are shit and you're still using an Xbox pad to actually do things, and none of the motion controls have actually been an objective improvement over previous input systems, so it's all stalled out.

And... welcome to where Japan's game consumers have been since PS3. You explain it quite well.

As for Nintendo being the most boring... in some ways, I do see your point, but in others their games are just so well-polished and balanced. I honestly feel like their production values are better than anything else I play (and I'm big into playing all the best games I can get on my PS4 Pro, FWIW).

As much as we kinda dump on the Indie trash flood gates being wide open on the Switch, it's also kind of like Thank God for all the indie games, because those are still pushing new concepts.

And I think you're spot on regarding the input scheme. There's just not a lot new there. The last serious innovation on that front was PS2/GCN/XBX.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So why wasn't Retro on this to begin with? Nintendo should have never announced a logo.

Raph64

So why wasn't Retro on this to begin with? Nintendo should have never announced a logo.

Maybe Retro was, at the time, busy doing something else.

But what ?

Now that the helms of the development of MP4 have been given back to Retro, this could possibly mean that we can definitely expect news from them somewhere the future, notably on what they’ve been eventually cooking up for almost 5 years now.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Maybe Retro was, at the time, busy doing something else.

But what ?

Now that the helms of the development of MP4 have been given back to Retro, this could possibly mean that we can definitely expect news from them somewhere the future, notably on what they’ve been eventually cooking up for almost 5 years now.
Yeah, seems odd. Maybe whatever they were working on was not shaping up well or maybe they just put it on hold because Nintendo made them an offer they couldn't refuse. Either way, Nintendo pretty much announced this game when they decided to start development on it, which is way too early for any game.

Okay everyone pack it up, all the sane posters please look elsewhere, this is strictly shitposting territory now.

dirthead

Banned

How else do you give people the impression that you're actually going to release new video games during the year to keep sales and stocks strong? Oh man this is hilarious. This is EXACTLY what it reminded me of.

They literally had so little real footage to show that they had to make the logo TWIST AND DANCE on the screen. So fucking hilarious.

Man, this shitty industry is an abomination.

Top Bottom