• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 - Game delayed, development completely restarted, Retro Studios now working on it

We are only in January and already got the fail of the year. Despite some people will try to turn it around, as politicians do after elections, there is no way for Nintendo to save face after this. Only way is releasing great games this year, though Bayonetta 3 will not be one of those either.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Do you guys think that Switch will hold up for another 5 years with good amount of excellent 1st and 3rd party releases each? Cuz we sure as hell wont see or hear anything about Prime 4 for at least 5 years (2 years of pre-production, and 3 years or more of active development), maybe more. I mean, I can only wait that long if Switch will have good collection of 1st and 3rd party releases which I want to potentialy buy and play, cuz otherwise I let my Switch collect the dust in another appartment with the new owner.

P.S. The fact that they care about the quality of a new Metroid game is refreshing and kind of encouraging even and it is also really good to hear from Nintendo itself. I'm glad Retro is doing it now, just please no more Prime 3 (the worst in the main series) BS and horrible motion controls and give us an option to play with Pro Controller all the way through.

Last edited:

cireza

I mean, does Retro have the firepower to do this now?
It does not seem that much more ambitious than Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. Pretty sure they can pull this off. It is a Switch game, graphical standards are pretty low.

Last edited:

Raven117

It does not seem that much more ambitious than Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. Pretty sure they can pull this off. It is a Switch game, standards are pretty low.
Fair enough.

(Though, in a strange world, I would have loved if Nintendo and Respawn came up with something....Metroid + Tittanfall 2 creative gameplay).

Michele

you.
While the announcement itself is disappointing for me, I do still appreciate that they've been upfront about it, and now collaborating with Retro Studios for this. Hopefully it will be amazing!

Also, why hasn't anyone said this yet about Miyamoto?

'A delayed game is eventually good. But, a rushed game is forever bad.'

This is what Miyamoto himself said, but nobody is quoting this anymore.

Last edited:

dottme

If this comes out on a new console I will be serious pissed cause I bought a switch for prime 4.
I wonder how many case like this we need before people stop buying a console based on a game announcement.
Games are delayed/cancelled continuously and we always see comment like this on the web.

Wonko_C

Oh, is it a coincidence, or the cursed number in Japanese is 4? I think it means disgrace. The 444 squad on Ace Combat made me realize that.

The kanji for the number four 四 can be read as "shi" (shee), which is the same for 死 which means "death".

Last edited:

db1416

I’m not expecting this game to release before 2023, especially with the scope of this game and then literally restarting from scratch essentially.

While the announcement itself is disappointing for me, I do still appreciate that they've been upfront about it, and now collaborating with Retro Studios for this. Hopefully it will be amazing!

Also, why hasn't anyone said this yet about Miyamoto?

'A delayed game is eventually good. But, a rushed game is forever bad.'

This is what Miyamoto himself said, but nobody is quoting this anymore.

Oh he was quoted, in fact it happened in this very thread.

For those upset by the news, comfort yourself with these wise words:

Dxw6m7VWkAIe_95.jpg

Miyamoto has made a lot of great games over the years, but he's made a few stinkers and has shoehorned some terrible choices into games that were otherwise good games. Star Fox and Star Fox 64 are two of my favorite games ever made, so imagine my surprise when Zero was released as it was. I think Star Fox Zero could have used a couple more years of development, and someone to tell Miyamoto to re-examine the controls of the game. Bare minimum the game should have had the option to pass on the motion control scheme but instead it was Lair all over again.

Jubenhimer

On one hand, it's disappointing that we'll have to wait much longer than anticipated for Prime 4, a game who's existence was only announced early to counter the Samus Returns announcement on 3DS. But I'm not angry actually. I appreciate that Nintendo was upfront about the state of the game's development and is moving the series back to Retro Studios and starting from scratch. It's a rarity these days for publishers to be that transparent, so I'm very grateful for that, and besides, there'll be plenty of other games in 2019 and 2020 to enjoy on the Switch as well.

Also, if you're asking for a Prime Trillogy on Switch, we might get just that this year according to rumor.

Wow! I don't know what to say except Nintendo should've start with Retro Studio from the get go. I hope they take their sweet ass time to perfect this formula like they did with the first game Metriod Prime. Hopefully!

I have yet bought a Switch because of this rumor that a new upgrade switch hardware coming out in '19 whether Nintendo acknowledge it or not. Will wait on this before I wasted $300 buck for nuthin'!

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

And seriously, what the fuck has Retro been doing for the past five years? Still no announcement on their next game, and then they get moved over to Prime 4. Switch has fairly nice hardware and all, but it is SEVERELY lacking in first party games (that are not Wii U ports or in the case of Splatoon, incremental version 1.5 type installments). Yet people praise the Switch up and down to high heaven, but shit on the Wii U, which ended up with a pretty great library of exclusives, as complete trash. I disagree.

The Switch seems a lot like the Wii in that they are selling tonnes of them but it just feels like the software is lacking..

I sold my Wii after 6 months and bought a 360 and never looked back....I feel liked I'd end up doing the same with Switch..
So what's out this year for Switch? I've not bought a new game since Mario Odyssey (except for a couple of indies I already owned on PC).

lol switch. Good port machine I guess (y)

What, Prime 4 got delayed and now there's suddenly nothing to play on Switch? 2019 already has Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Daemon X Machina, and that's on top of all the third party and indie games that are coming to the systems. In addition to games that just released like Smash Bros. Ultimate. There's plenty to play on Switch at the moment.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I appreciate the transparency Nintendo showed today on this situation. I'm a huge Metroid fan, and was highly anticipating Prime 4...but they absolutely made the right call if development with Bandai Namco wasn't going as hoped. I hope we can see some of what they were working on, and appreciate the hard work they were putting in before the project was scrapped.

The original Prime series development team at Retro Studios were absolutely brilliant and incredibly talented. With much of that original team having since moved on, I still have a small sense of unease. I hope Retro can pull back most of that same team, or at least acquire some helpful guidance for the new team if needed.

Greedings

What, Prime 4 got delayed and now there's suddenly nothing to play on Switch? 2019 already has Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Daemon X Machina, and that's on top of all the third party and indie games that are coming to the systems. In addition to games that just released like Smash Bros. Ultimate. There's plenty to play on Switch at the moment.

3 games I have 0 interest in. Cool.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The original Prime series development team at Retro Studios were absolutely brilliant and incredibly talented. With much of that original team having since moved on, I still have a small sense of unease. I hope Retro can pull back most of that same team, or at least acquire some helpful guidance for the new team if needed.
The current Retro team handled another IP they didn't make -- DKC -- quite well in my opinion.

So maybe Retro can "Retro" Retro's own Retro-made Metroid. :pie_thinking:

Lol @ you trolls calling nintendo games indie.
The current Retro team handled another IP they didn't make -- DKC -- quite well in my opinion.

So maybe Retro can "Retro" Retro's own Retro-made Metroid. :pie_thinking:
Not to mention those "key members" that left retro went on to make, what, a shitty batman side scroller on 3ds?

Jubenhimer

It's literally the only point that matters.

Why would I care about a games console with no games I'm interested in? What a weird thing to say.

Because That's just like, your opinion man. But seriously, You not being into those games doesn't change the fact that other people might. Do you know how happy Animal Crossing fans were to have a new game finally confirmed for the Switch?

You wouldn't see me complaining if ports of old stuff were not making up the majority of Nintendo's scarce Switch line up as is already.

LOL, we're still going with this shit?

Original Nintendo games on Switch:

BotW (Yes it's on Wii U, but it launched the same day as the Switch version and nobody played it on Wii U, so it technically counts)
Mario Odyssey
ARMS
Splatoon 2
1-2 Switch
Snipperclips
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kirby Star Alies
Nintendo Labo
Sushi Striker (See BotW)
Mario Tennis Aces
Pokemon Quest
Pokemon Let's Go!
Super Mario Party
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Wii U ports from Nintendo:

Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
DKCTF
Captain Toad
NSMBU DX
Pokken Tournament DX

Aaaaaand... That's it. Seriously, it's overblown how you could think most of that is Wii U ports.

Fair point but them hiring retro and starting over is a step in the right direction.

Plus Samus returns remake was very good.

Hopefully this is a turning point for Nintendo. I think that SM may have influenced them into gaining momentum for the next game which is probably why they did this.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
(Yes it's on Wii U, but it launched the same day as the Switch version and nobody played it on Wii U, so it technically counts)
I played it on Wii U. It was just postponed on Wii U to have it as a new title on Switch, it is a port.
Sushi Striker (See BotW)
In this case, I would count it, but do not discount the 3DS version, due to the touch controls it is pretty clearly the better version even.

In terms of major titles (not that 1-2-Switch bs), it is pretty even:
Ports:
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
DKCTF
Captain Toad
NSMBU DX
Pokken Tournament DX
Zelda BotW
7 games

new (major) games:
Mario Odyssey
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kirby Star Alies
Pokemon Let's Go!
Super Mario Party
7 games

And that's for a new system that most relies on Nintendo's own support. While they, at the same time, also port a ton of (even older) games to 3DS. They are even abusing their own team for the damn porting.

Jubenhimer

new (major) games:
Mario Odyssey
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kirby Star Alies
Pokemon Let's Go!
Super Mario Party
7 games

Yes let's just discount games because they don't fit your narrative. I get that something like Snipperclips or ARMS aren't big AAA games. But they're new, they're not ports, and they're actually pretty good games as well. Nintendo's published more original titles on Switch so far than ports, so don't go moving goal posts with something arbitrary like "Well they're not the games I like" which is very subjective.

And that's for a new system that most relies on Nintendo's own support. While they, at the same time, also port a ton of (even older) games to 3DS. They are even abusing their own team for the damn porting.

There's more than Nintendo games on the Switch though. This is the best third party support Nintendo's had since at least the DS. With a ton of indie, Japanese, and even a few AAA ports and games on it. If you can't find anything to play on the Switch at this point, I don't know what to say.

They simply outsourced it. Zelda they do in-house. Mario in-house, Pokémon in-house(GameFreaks is the titular to the games, so...), Kirby in-house. The last 2 metroids and the last Fzero were outsourced. This says a lot about their priorities

To be fair about F-Zero GX, SEGA made that an excellent conversuon that F-Zero fans long wanted from the franchise.

Nintendo shouldn't outsource everything but their record is usually pretty good overall (Hotel Mario and the CDi Zeldas notwithstanding). Better examples of Mario and Zelda being outsourced would be Minish Cap (Capcom) and Mario x Rabbids (Ubisoft)

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
In this case, I would count it, but do not discount the 3DS version, due to the touch controls it is pretty clearly the better version even.
False!

Playing with thumbstick is the way to go, based on my extensive time with the Switch version. Yes, you'd think that touch would be better, but since sushis can only be chained with other sushis in close proximity, the touch usually ends up frustrating me (it can feel as though you are dropping your inputs).

Yoshi

Yes let's just discount games because they don't fit your narrative. I get that something like Snipperclips or ARMS aren't big AAA games. But they're new, they're not ports, and they're actually pretty good games as well. Nintendo's published more original titles on Switch so far than ports, so don't go moving goal posts with something arbitrary like "Well they're not the games I like" which is very subjective.
It is correct that I was underspecifying what I actually meant, which is notable / big titles. But considering my original wording, it certainly appears as moving goalposts. But it certainly is not about games I like, because that's much easier:
- Super Mario Odyssey
Then in a distant second tier:
- Smash Bros.
- Pokémon (which is a half remake by the way)
- Kirby

False!

Playing with thumbstick is the way to go, based on my extensive time with the Switch version. Yes, you'd think that touch would be better, but since sushis can only be chained with other sushis in close proximity, the touch usually ends up frustrating me (it can feel as though you are dropping your inputs).
My wife has been playing the 3DS version for many, many hours and says her performance with the touchscreen is significantly better than with standard inputs. It is important to keep in mind the stylus, which is a huge bonus for the 3DS touchscreen over Switch (if the Switch version even allows for touch controls). By the way, I was supposed to ask you: Would you be interested in playing online with her? Though I do not know whether it works between 3DS and Switch version?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Time to finally play through to MP3 on the Wii U Trilogy, since I stalled out near the end of MP2. I'm not sure I even care for an MP4 if it doesn't have some form of motion / IR aiming anyway--that's the best part of the trilogy.

Jubenhimer

It is correct that I was underspecifying what I actually meant, which is notable / big titles. But considering my original wording, it certainly appears as moving goalposts. But it certainly is not about games I like, because that's much easier:
- Super Mario Odyssey
Then in a distant second tier:
- Smash Bros.
- Pokémon (which is a half remake by the way)
- Kirby

Okay, even then, that doesn't mean games like ARMS, Labo, Mario Tennis (which is actually a lot more fleshed out now than at launch), or games like Snipperclips stop existing suddenly. You may not consider these Big/Major/AAA games, but there's an audience for them and have done very well in sales an support.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
My wife has been playing the 3DS version for many, many hours and says her performance with the touchscreen is significantly better than with standard inputs. It is important to keep in mind the stylus, which is a huge bonus for the 3DS touchscreen over Switch (if the Switch version even allows for touch controls). By the way, I was supposed to ask you: Would you be interested in playing online with her? Though I do not know whether it works between 3DS and Switch version?
I was not trying to compare apples to oranges: my opinion is based on both versions since I loved the game so much I got both. But don't take my reply as a mark against that version. I just prefer using the sticks, even though I initially thought the touchpad would be the better input method. Switch allows for touch but I would argue it is worse than the 3DS version since you use your finger.

However, I haven't tested with a touch-capacitive pen. It could perhaps be the best input method of all.

There's no cross-play, but I do have the 3DS version and will PM you my Friend Code sometime this weekend.

Last edited:

Rran

I'm...okay with this. The wait will sting, but I'd much rather wait for a great Metroid Prime game than play a weak one this year, obviously. I'm just wondering why Nintendo didn't just nab Retro from the get-go for this. They have a proven track record with both Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong!

I'm not too worried about the Switch's 2019 though. Let's see what E3 has in store for us. I do hope the next Animal Crossing will be the next big step forward for the series though.

Barakov

Appreciate the candor from Nintendo. The silence on MP4 makes sense now. I'll definitely take the MP trilogy in the meantime though. I skipped MP3 because of the wiimote business.

Yoshi

I was not trying to compare apples to oranges: my opinion is based on both versions since I loved the game so much I got both. But don't take my reply as a mark against that version. I just prefer using the sticks, even though I initially thought the touchpad would be the better input method. Switch allows for touch but I would argue it is worse than the 3DS version since you use your finger.

However, I haven't tested with a touch-capacitive pen. It could perhaps be the best input method of all.

There's no cross-play, but I do have the 3DS version and will PM you my Friend Code sometime this weekend.
That's great my wife will be happy about that :).

Jubenhimer

I'm not too worried about the Switch's 2019 though. Let's see what E3 has in store for us. I do hope the next Animal Crossing will be the next big step forward for the series though.
Why wait til just E3? Nintendo will probably have a Direct detailing their 2019 lineup.

Top Bottom