• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 - Game delayed, development completely restarted, Retro Studios now working on it

Codes 208

So is this going to be nintendo’s Crackdown 3? Years of waiting, then the project pretty much gets a restarted followed by more years of waiting...

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
The current Retro team handled another IP they didn't make -- DKC -- quite well in my opinion.

So maybe Retro can "Retro" Retro's own Retro-made Metroid. :pie_thinking:

Oooh nice - I didn't realize that was all the current team! The DK Country games are amazingly well polished...so that small sense of unease has been eradicated. Thank you, good sir! :)

Yagami_Sama

When I saw the video on my feed I thought that it would be an announcement of Announcement, like a event to showcase the game. I must say that I quite disappointed and this is giving me a "Breath of the wild for Wii U" feelings. Like they announced the game to early and it ended up been released on the current and on the sucessor.

If they are going to start the development from the scratch, it will take at least 3 years to develop the game, so maybe a 2022 release date, which is harsh.

And another negative thing is, if Retro will develop the game, it means that whatever projected they had, are now canned and and if we consider that the Donkey Kong for Wii U was their last project, so it is piratically 5 years without a big release from them, and now it will be at least more 3 year without them releasing anything. And there you go the Star Fox Grand Prix rumor.

It is a pity that we had no confirmation regarding who was developing the game. Anyway, maybe Nintendo is trying to avoid another "Other M" situation.

But I will try to see things by the positive side. I hope that this change, was for the best and that they are planning something big for the game. A collection with the 3 Metroid Prime Game, and maybe a new 2D game.

Let's see.

Hahahaha wow.

Nintendo’s straightforwardness on this is very refreshing, but it’s time to forget this game exists for a while.

Maybe port Samus Returns to Switch in the meantime, Nintendo?

If they port it, can they remove the stupid mandatory deflects? SR felt way too exhausting, especially after all the evolved Metroid bosses that required it.

Kamina

Golden Boy
You can see that this wasnt easy for them, but they could have made it easier if they had announced remakes of Prime 1-3 right afterwards; this is a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
This is heavy news to wake up to :(

When was it revealed that Bandai Namco was originally making MP4? According to the first page of this thread, it is common knowledge? Maybe I just forgot?

Kamina

Golden Boy

When was it revealed that Bandai Namco was originally making MP4? According to the first page of this thread, it is common knowledge? Maybe I just forgot?
edit: misread your post

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Also, why hasn't anyone said this yet about Miyamoto?

'A delayed game is eventually good. But, a rushed game is forever bad.'

This is what Miyamoto himself said, but nobody is quoting this anymore.

Perhaps the fact that more often than not games that are delayed a bunch are stuck in a development hell and when they finally release are not great.

Also games that release without delays often turn out great.

ODESZA

Few year delays don't even phase me anymore, with the amount of available entertainment.

I hope they take their time and produce something that set the bar like the first game did.

Greedings

Because That's just like, your opinion man. But seriously, You not being into those games doesn't change the fact that other people might. Do you know how happy Animal Crossing fans were to have a new game finally confirmed for the Switch?

Of course it's my opinion. Why would any one else's opinion matter when it comes to my purchasing habits?

Your argument makes no sense.

Jubenhimer

Of course it's my opinion. Why would any one else's opinion matter when it comes to my purchasing habits?

Your argument makes no sense.

You can recognize good or promising games, without being all that interested in them. I'm not too interested in GoW 2018 for example, but I recognize it as a good game, and one that deserved it's GotY wins.

TLZ

Banned
I respect your honesty.

I'd much rather all companies do this than rush out incomplete broken games.

Good decision.

iconmaster

Banned
Do you remember Diablo 3 at launch?

ljTUgCm.gif

So...the project Retro has been working on for so long. What's up with that now?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's DKC 3 King K.Rool Returns and Ninty has been sitting on it for a while.

Makes sense if Retro is just now wrapping up on it. Just because nothing is announced doesn't mean whatever Retro was working on is canned. Remember Samus Returns was announced at E3 three months before it was released,

FeldMonster

Well I guess I don't need to waste my money on a Switch now. Maybe the replacement for the Switch. Unless Metroid Prime Trilogy with dual analog controls comes out. That might tempt me.

PhoenixTank

I think it was speculated amid some internet sleuthing, but not confirmed in any way officially? That was my understanding of it, at least - I also haven't kept too up to date on that.

I went into the video blind shortly after it appeared and within a few minutes let out an audible "Oh, you've cancelled it haven't you?" as the dread increased. I'm still used to far heavier news for Nintendo games that we have actually seen footage for, let alone something I love, but recognise is less commercially attractive than their other big IPs. Bittersweet that Retro has a shot at it now, but for better or worse they aren't the same studio this many years on. The DKC output has been pretty good which gives me faith, but that is also a very different wheelhouse to first person adventure games.
It sounds like we'll have a long wait still given the restart, but at least they care enough not to roll out another turd into our laps... like Other M.
Again, bittersweet.

Bakkus

I wouldn't be surprised if it's DKC 3 King K.Rool Returns and Ninty has been sitting on it for a while.
That would be a disappointment. 2D platformers, while few come close to DKC:TF, it's a genre many, many are capable of making great games for. Can't say the same for however you wanna classify MP

Last edited:
That would be a disappointment. 2D platformers, while few come close to DKC:TF, it's a genre many, many are capable of making great games for. Can't say the same for however you wanna classify MP

I disagree, sure there will be indies like Celeste, but the only other pure 2d platformer that's been made the past 6-8 years that can match the production values of DKC:TF is Rayman Legends and Ancel will probably never get to make another since Legends and Origins didn't sell that well and it's a title I just don't see current Ubisoft making.

Retro fills a very specific void with DKC that nobody else does.

Guiberu

Nintendo have some of the biggest, most honorable balls in the business when to comes to pride in their work.

To not only do what they did. But to then come out and be entirely honest and open about it. Beautiful.

Retro are an incredible studio. Their obvious passion for their work is, rightfully, respected by Nintendo.

I'm certain it'll be worth the wait.

But I would like the Metroid Prime Trilogy HD for my Switch. Now. Please. Maybe chuck in some online multiplayer too. Cheers.

Last edited:

PrimeTime

Retro’s a lot different company than when the original trilogy was made. Hell, the development team changed a bit from the first to the third.

Given the fact that Retro has to change its direction, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were given a former game or games to update just to become familiar with engines/code/assets/etc a la The Wind Waker treatment.

Edit: I also want to add that I think Nintendo should do the right thing and have joint management of this property with armature studios who had the key leads from the original prime games.

Last edited:

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Retro’s a lot different company than when the original trilogy was made. Hell, the development team changed a bit from the first to the third.
You could say Retro was a different company each time they did another Prime. That said, Corruption-to-4 will be their longest hiatus, hands down.

As for whoever said Armature's Batman on the 3ds was 'a shitty Batman game' -- they were dead wrong. Blackgate is a proper metroidvania through and through.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Frankly, I don’t know why they ever stopped making Metroid Primes in the first place. IMO it was the best thing to happen to the Metroid series in a long time. Better late than early and shitty I guess.

Hopefully Nintendo doesn’t abandon the current Super Mario format, Odyssey was so great if every Mario game they made for the next 10 years were all like that except with new worlds and such, I’d be a really happy dude.

Maguro

I would even buy the trilogy as digital versions if they beef them up to HD and pro controller support. And i hate buying digital things... But here I would drop money.

Closer

Hey Nintendo

Here is an idea:

How about you stupid fucks put the original trilogy on the Switch in full 1080p/60fps. Fans have been requesting an upgrade for a while it's now time to deliver.

Give someone (like me) who has abandoned Nintendo a good reason to come back.

The first Metroid Prime is one of my all time best gaming experiences ever and IMO was the best title on the gamecube.

This is funny because it's a lie. People that "abandoned Nintendo" would say

"I would not buy this underpowered piece of shit to play an old ass game I can play on my Gamecube/Wii/WiiU. Give me new games! I don't want to buy a shitty hardware to play 2~5 games on it!"

And it's funny because they never had a Wii/WiiU.

Last edited:

Greedings

You can recognize good or promising games, without being all that interested in them. I'm not too interested in GoW 2018 for example, but I recognize it as a good game, and one that deserved it's GotY wins.

I never said anything about the games coming out being bad, I just said I'm not interested. You're being pretty weird about this, it's like I'm not allowed to have my opinion on it.

You can like whatever you want, but if there's games on a console I am disinterested in, I won't buy this games, no matter who likes them.

Maybe it's hard for you to understand, but I won't be buying Animal Crossing. I don't like those games. Other people do, and good for them, but if that's all that's available, I'm pretty disappointed in my Switch purchase.

Zannegan

Well that's disappointing, no two ways about it.

This is why Nintendo needs to pick up a few more talented studios (preferrably with at least one coming from the West). It's always disappointing when a big game gets delayed, but with Nintendo it creates a big hole in their release schedule that 3rd parties don't usually fill.

I'm not going to say the Switch has nothing for 2019 or that it's not worth picking up now. Frankly, as someone with a fairly time-consuming job, I don't have time to play everything I want to on the Switch (some indie devs have been killing it of late).

That said, the machine's library doesn't exactly have something for everyone on a yearly basis. Nintendo has yet to plug up the same old genre holes in their library. They do what they do exceptionally well, but there clearly just isn't enough development talent to go around.

They should have picked up Capcom while they were down. Sega would be even better--not only are their IPs a good fit, but they have a lot of PC development experience that Nintendo could use if they want to join the trend of every developer and their mother having their own PC client and store.

Maguro

I never said anything about the games coming out being bad, I just said I'm not interested. You're being pretty weird about this, it's like I'm not allowed to have my opinion on it.

You can like whatever you want, but if there's games on a console I am disinterested in, I won't buy this games, no matter who likes them.

Maybe it's hard for you to understand, but I won't be buying Animal Crossing. I don't like those games. Other people do, and good for them, but if that's all that's available, I'm pretty disappointed in my Switch purchase.

I'm on your side on this even though I own a switch. But I'm as well not interrested in animal crossing or splatoon etc. Not because they look cute.. I am a japanophile but some games aren't just for everybody. I like Donkey Kong, Metroid, f zero, star fox, jrpgs and so on.

Also i don't understand the mentality

"not too interested in GoW 2018 for example, but I recognize it as a good game, and one that deserved it's GotY wins."

If I am not interrested in a game and know I wouldn't enjoy it how can I recognize it is goty material? Just because people who have other taste say so? Just think for yourself.
I played through GoW and it was okay... Goty worthy? Not for me. Same with Last of us. Why are general opinions about art and entertainment the law? If I don't think a game is goty worthy then why should i say I recognize it as such? That's just weird to me. I respect opinions but I can keep my own.

Last edited:

Greedings

I'm on your side on this even though I own a switch. But I'm as well not interrested in animal crossing or splatoon etc. Not because they look cute.. I am a japanophile but some games aren't just for everybody. I like Donkey Kong, Metroid, f zero, star fox, jrpgs and so on.

I actually love Splatoon. I just didn't want to pay for an online game. In hindsight I should have got it at release, because I probably would have been done with it by the time the paid online came out.

I'm also kind of done with multiplayer games. I have a job, I have a life, I have a family. I get to game not so much any more, and when I play a multiplayer game I get destroyed. I don't have the time to gitgud at multiplayer stuff any more. Single player lets me slowly become proficient.

Maguro

I actually love Splatoon. I just didn't want to pay for an online game. In hindsight I should have got it at release, because I probably would have been done with it by the time the paid online came out.

I'm also kind of done with multiplayer games. I have a job, I have a life, I have a family. I get to game not so much any more, and when I play a multiplayer game I get destroyed. I don't have the time to gitgud at multiplayer stuff any more. Single player lets me slowly become proficient.

You could play couch multi-player, it's the most fun anyway. Played couch mp super monkey ball last month on my crt setup, it was a joy.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This is funny because it's a lie. People that "abandoned Nintendo" would say

"I would not buy this underpowered piece of shit to play an old ass game I can play on my Gamecube/Wii/WiiU. Give me new games! I don't want to buy a shitty hardware to play 2~5 games on it!"

And it's funny because they never had a Wii/WiiU.
This post makes no sense.

StormCell

I know. People that say they "abandoned" a game company makes no sense.

He's not wrong. Besides, I don't understand why part of this discussion is a place to dump on Switch. It has arguably the best support so far of any Nintendo platform since GameCube. At this point in the Wii's life I only had games from Nintendo to look forward to. I expect we'll be hearing from more 3rd parties this year, so maybe more of those Western genre holes will fill in.

Last edited:

Closer

He's not wrong. Besides, I don't understand why part of this discussion is a place to dump on Switch. It has arguably the best support so far of any Nintendo platform since GameCube. At this point in the Wii's life I only had games from Nintendo to look forward to. I expect we'll be hearing from more 3rd parties this year, so maybe more of those Western genre holes will fill in.

I mean, I'm not dumping on Switch, but I apologise for bringing up how some people that "abandoned" a game company thinks. It's really funny to me, but apologies, I'll stop.

What is the status of animal crossing? That is one game that could tide people over for a while, assuming it is done right. Is it expected at the end of the year?

KOMANI

KOMANI
This is/was a bad idea. If Retro produces something not up to the quality Nintendo expects, you’ve just raised more questions.

It’s a weird issue they’ve chose to pander to the fandom. I prefer what Bethesda has done in recent years, by announcing and showcasing a title within an arm’s reach of launch.

Their success with the switch and their titles would have bought them time for their silence on Metroid had they been quiet from the start.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo's clueless. People keep asking for an actual 2D Metroid follow up made by Nintendo of Japan. For some reason, they're obsessed with outsourcing this series or dumping it on Western 2nd party developers. Why the fuck do they keep trying to outsource it? You'd have to be as dumb as a sack of bricks to think that Tecmo, Bandai, or MercurySteam is capable of making a game that lives up to the legacy of Super Metroid.

No one wants shitty pseudo 2D games like the 3DS Metroid. No one wants another Prime game. There's nowhere to go with it. Prime 2 and 3 were irrelevant, and getting the same type of game repeatedly just wears down the brand after a while. They need to break things up a bit. It's time for something that isn't just a copy and paste of 2002's Prime.

I can't believe people are paid to be as stupid as Nintendo's executive management. Man they're dumb.
I'm sure you know how to handle a succesful business and aren't as stupid as Nintendo's executive managment. I guess all the positive reception of Samus Returns was just a farce and people going crazy over the announcment of MP4 never happened.

Top Bottom