• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Federation Force can be "saved"

SalvaPot

Edit: Well, just to be clear, I am using "saved" for dramatic purposes, I think the game is fine, all I am proposing is a way to make the hardcore fans accept the game and embrace it. Cheers!

So we all know about the new Metroid Prime game developed by Next Level Games for the 3DS. Take a look at the trailer again if you need a refreshment.

This game has had, to put it mildly, wild controversy over what it is, what it represents, and what it means for the gaming community. For a lot of fans of the Metroid Franchise, this game represents their worst fears. Samus is nowhere to be seen, the story seems to be non-existent, the character design looks blocky and the gameplay is multiplayer based, a far departure from the atmospheric, isolated exploration/horror tone the franchise is known for. It also has a sports/shooter minigame. Fans have been waiting for a (true) sequel for almost a decade since Other M is usually not counted.

The game is not judged for what it presents, its judged in comparison to what came before it, that have been mostly exclusively 1 Player games. The game itself looks like a fun combination of 4 Player Monster Hunter missions with Metroid Prime controls, but that in itself seems to not be what the fans wanted out of a new Metroid.

So what can Nintendo do about it? Do they even care that the vocal fanbase is not happy, at all, about the new game?

Well, open the link to the video again (Try to endure it, you can do it). Check the like to dislike ratio, see the comments. Notice something weird? No? Give it another look. Anything? Allright, I will tell you.

They are not disabled.

That is right, Nintendo is aware of the backlash the game has received, and its not censoring it. The trailer has more than 1 million views, numbers that only high profile trailers like Smash, Pokemon, Mario and Zelda (And now Splatoon) are able to pull up, for comparison, check the first trailer of Zelda Triforce Heroes released at the same time, it has only one third of the views MPFF got. If anything the response the trailer got sends a clear message to Nintendo: We are not happy.

So the question "Do Nintendo even cares?" has an answer. "Probably, yes, I´ll say they do care."

We actually had a chance to see the game in action during the Treehouse event and they acknowledged the game was not received as they expected. In the preview the game seemed to be far into development, with a clear identity of what it wanted to do and how it would play. All the info we had besides what we saw is that it was going to be Mission based, it featured Samus in very few missions and it was going to release in early 2016. Since then, silence.

So here is the point of this thread (Finally!).

Can Nintendo "save" the game?

Note how I use " to illustrate that, in my opinion, the game does not need saving as in I think it looks like a bad game, far for it, but its clear the game missed the point of the series themes while releasing at a time when players don´t want a Spin-Off, they want a sequel. Nintendo hopefully has realized they have alienated a vocal part of its fanbase.

And to be honest, I think it could be easy to solve.

Just tweak the game to add a Story mode with Samus as the main character

The gameplay just by itself CLEARLY looks like how a Metroid Prime game will play, similar to how Hunters felt, even. My theory is that Next Level Games and Nintendo had a vision where you could play online and with friends a multiplayer shooter and decided that Metroid Prime fitted the theme and used the tried and proven Prime formula to design its gameplay.

Even as weird as Nintendo can be with their decisions they could look at that feedback and realize they just can´t avoid having a Metroid game without Samus leading it, even if that was their original plan. Nintendo is not above delaying games to make them as good as possible, as we know, and we know Next Level Games is a brilliant developer when given free reign over the Nintendo characters.

I am really curious on how Next Level Games can tackle a Samus story, I really am. They are for their "Show, don´t tell" mentality and injecting tons of charm to the scenery and setting they work with. Just look at Luigi´s Mansion 2 and you know they can do atmosphere, just look at Luigi and his supporting cast handles emotions and situations in that game and you know they can handle the Metroid world, even Samus, without having to have her say a single word, if they don´t feel like it.

Metroid is not known for long 30 hours campaigns, so a nice 8-15 hour Story Mode to setup the world where the multiplayer happens could do, maybe we can have Samus explore a planet or fight Ridley and his space pirates directly this time.

And even in a "Mission" format, the backtracking the series is known for shouldn´t suffer that much. I again use Luigi´s Mansion 2 as an example of how that series had a clear linearity to it while allowing backtracking to get collectibles and upgrades, sound familiar? The only thing missing would be the connected world, but that can be replaced by using the Samus ship to explore between worlds.

Of course the problem is how this will add to the funding and developing time Nintendo and NLG will have to insert in the game, but at this point the game seems to be in its way to cancellation or be released to die. And with it the franchise could die too. So why not take the third option? Nintendo does take risks every now and then and it seems feasible to add maybe 2 to 5 more months to take what its in there and give it a Samus story just to convince people to not miss out on the game.

Because its clear the idea is for us to actually play the multiplayer, local or online. Nintendo has fate in the game, the problem is taking the backlash and turning it around. Making a Story mode with Samus in the continuity and spirit of Prime would, in my opinion, make a lot of people turn around.

And they can claim that was the idea all along. Or say that NLG wanted to make it from the very start but decided to focus on the multiplayer aspect because it was fun. Or just say its done to please the fans and it would feature all the good stuff fans can expect out of Metroid, with the added bonus of a robust Multiplayer mode.

If anything the game has potential, just add this cherry on top, put Samus kicking ass in the cover, have a story that is true to the series, release trailers showcasing it, make a snappy hashtag #SamusIsBack and enjoy your Internet points.

Oh, and make a Baby Metroid amiibo and bundle it with the game, that should be enough.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-28229-1377620439-5.gif

Morts

Your proposal is to make another game, then add it to this game. Seems rather ridiculous.

And I doubt it's headed towards cancellation.

SalvaPot

Well its clear post 2 and 3 did not read the OP.

Your proposal is to make another game, then add it to this game. Seems rather ridiculous.

And I doubt it's headed towards cancellation.

Not really, my proposal is to take a nice amount of existing levels (Missions), tweak it into a "Story Mode", put Samus as the playable character in it and have every promotional material have Samus in it.

The game is already fine and will be a lot of fun, they don't need to make any major changes

people are just obsessive about their ideas of what Metroid should and shouldn't be, and are incredibly worried after Other M that the franchise has no future.

which is an okay thing to worry about

but Federation Force is in good hands and looks like a lot of fun so yall need to chill out

and lol at "tweaking" the game to add a fully fledged story mode starring samus as if that's something they could do in a weekend or even a month. that's like a delay-the-game-a-year change

I don't see why there's a firestorm over this. Isn't it just some 10-15 dollar downloadable? Nothing ever gave me the impression that this is the next full-fledged Metroid game.

ElRenoRaven

Wow. I forgot that game even existed. Yea no cancel it if you really wanna save face. Give the fans what they want damn it. A real damn Metroid game. Not another Other M or this crap.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't see why there's a firestorm over this. Isn't it just some 10-15 dollar downloadable? Nothing ever gave me the impression that this is the next full-fledged Metroid game.

Nope, it's a full $40 retail release that has NOTHING to do with Metroid and is Tanabe's "big" Metroid project he's been working on since SO MANY people wanted to see something like it since the end of Prime 3, in his own words, of course.

Striek

The game looked terribly boring and janky as a shooter, the problem has nothing to do with its branding. If NLG presented that title under a different moniker even hardcore Nintendo fans would be yawning. They've saved as much as they can of what they've built by attaching it to Metroid.

Revven

Uhhhhh hate to break it to you it's definitely going to be a $30-40 retail game much like Triforce Heroes and Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer....

RK128

Mmm.....I feel that the game will have some kind of single player mode with Samus being playable when the game comes out.

Samus IS Metroid, so it would be very, very strange to call a game Metroid and not have her have a playable role. If anything, I could see her working similar to how the Heroes/Villains worked in the Battlefront games; win enough times and the team will 'unlock' the ability to play as Samus or another Bounty Hunter for a period of time.

I don't think Samus having a playable role will save the games public reception; the damage seems to be done at this point. Many will write off the title and Metroid fans while not calling it as bad as Other M, will not call it as great as past games (even if it is a great game).

I am still willing to give it a chance and Next Level being the developer has me hopeful that the end product is a strong, fun and creative take on the tried & true Metroid series :).

inky

80K dislikes on that video. Holy shit, lol.

I had no idea this game existed, and looking at that trailer I'm not sure it should.

Toxi

Banned
The main reason there was such a backlash is that people wanted a Metroid game and Federation Force isn't what they wanted. Honestly, just announcing another more traditional Metroid game alongside the next Federation Force preview would probably get rid of most of the ill will.

Which Nintendo can't do because they don't have another Metroid game in the works.
Saved? That's a bit dramatic, don't you think?

I don't have a problem with this game existing as its own thing, however it is really frustrating as a fan of the series to see a spinoff instead of a new mainline entry. I think salvaging what they have isn't the answer, they should make the game they want to make. But a new, proper mainline entry needs to be in the works. My only fear is it will become NX exclusive or some bullshit.

KingBroly

Banned
Mmm.....I feel that the game will have some kind of single player mode with Samus being playable when the game comes out.

Samus IS Metroid, so it would be very, very strange to call a game Metroid and not have her have a playable role. If anything, I could see her working similar to how the Heroes/Villains worked in the Battlefront games; win enough times and the team will 'unlock' the ability to play as Samus or another Bounty Hunter for a period of time.

I don't think Samus having a playable role will save the games public reception; the damage seems to be done at this point. Many will write off the title and Metroid fans while not calling it as bad as Other M, will not call it as great as past games (even if it is a great game).

I am still willing to give it a chance and Next Level being the developer has me hopeful that the end product is a strong, fun and creative take on the tried & true Metroid series :).

They already said "single player" is you with bots. If there WAS a single player portion to it, they should've shown it off first.

Because there isn't a full-fledged Metroid game.

If there was, people wouldn't care about this. But there isn't, this is all we get.

Ooccoo

This game will get cancelled. They'd have to redo it from the ground up for people to care. I'm actually glad the trailer got this kind of response TBH, now if people could complain as much about season passes, pre-orders and other shitty things publishers get away with maybe, just maybe the industry would deliver games we want to play.

Your asking for a entirely different game.
I'll be ok with Nintendo waiting longer for "proper" metroid game so it's fan base can have chance to grow up and act like adults.

Or. Here's a thought.

Just let them put out a crappy 3DS multiplayer game that nobody will buy on the tail end of the handhelds lifespan? Who cares. If it bugs you, don't buy it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
People are still salty over this?
Just wait for more info, or be patient and wait for a "proper" Metroid game.

Regiruler

The entire point of the game was to not feature Samus, as stupid as it may sound. Tanabe wants it to be a world building block.

For the record I'm very much looking forward to the game as I think a 3DS FPS by a competent dev is a niche that should be filled, and I also hope it's moderately successful so there's a reasonably sized playerbase: in that regard, if they "slapped on" the metroid name to generate more interest, I'm glad, so the lobbies aren't dead within a week.

I think if this game's trailer came with an announcement - doesn't even have to be a trailer or anything - that a single player Metroid is in development, then nobody would care that much.

Tacking a single player onto MFF will not necessarily "save" it, I doubt it would even make it better, and that's because it never was intended as a story-telling game. They can't "just add a single player mode" either. Because having a single player mode would require specifically designed maps with specifically designed enemies with specifically designed AI - boss fights, power-ups, etc. Not to mention writing and so on.

I think the game will probably end up being decent for what it is - NLG has a fairly good track record with Nintendo - but it's just astonishingly poor brand management any way you slice it.

It's been five years since the last Metroid game and eight since the last Prime game. If they don't have enough faith in the IP to greenlight a new mainline entry, why use the Metroid brand on a tangentially related spinoff at all?

On the other hand, if they are secretly developing a new mainline Metroid, they really, really shouldn't be announcing tangentially related spinoffs until they're in a position to at least tease the mainline game.

I wonder what the reactions in this thread would be if the beloved franchise of one of you guys was getting spin-off nonsense instead of a mainline entry. I don't have to wonder at all. People are passionate about things they care about, just because you don't care it doesn't make their response unreasonable or invalid.

Top Bottom