• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Federation Force can be "saved"

butalala

People get really mad about this game. I sort of understand why. I think it would be great to see a new Metroid game in the style of Metroid Prime or Super Metroid. Unfortunately, people got so over excited about things like Reggie's pin that one time and decided that meant that a new mainline Metroid game was coming. Nintendo isn't innocent either. They should have been savvy enough to know what their hardcore fans were expecting and that Federation Force wasn't it. If the game had been presented differently, the reaction could have been much better.

Can the game be saved? Does it need to be saved? Will it be saved? I think that the artstyle could be tweaked, like the art for Jet Force Gemini was changed. The chibi style is a strange fit for the franchise. I'd be surprised to see a full or even mini Samus campaign. Nintendo seems to be running its established systems in high-efficiency mode right now and a change like that doesn't feel like it fits in with their other projects. I'm not sure that the game needs to be saved. Long-form co-op games are my cup of tea these days. Consider me very interested in this game.

If they add a story mode the writing will be cringeworthy and subpar.

What Metroid needs is AAA production, but I can't see Nintendo ever giving it the production it deserves. They're struggling enough with Zelda, which will be smaller than Skyrim.
It deserves to be treated like their best selling franchises, despite decent western sales and abysmal Japanese sales? People need to get over the idea that a franchise deserves top treatment just because they like it

Toxi

Banned
Question though: In what way does this look bad besides the fact it's not a mainline entry?
Graphics and visual style look like garbage. Which in a Metroid Prime game (which are known for their gorgeous visuals) is very disappointing.

The four player co-op shown at the Nintendo Treehouse didn't look particularly interesting. The most exciting thing shown was generic horde mode you find in many other multiplayer FPS titles. The snowbeast mission looked horribly tedious. Overall it just seemed like something without a creative spark.

The very concept of a 3DS action-based fps is going to be riddled with problems.

Graphics and visual style look like garbage.

The four player co-op shown at the Nintendo Treehouse didn't look particularly interesting. The most interesting thing shown was generic horde mode you find in many other multiplayer FPS titles. The snowbeast mission looked horribly tedious.

The very concept of a 3DS action-based fps is going to be riddled with problems.

Disagree on all points. At worst it'll be medicore, at best it'll probably be just as well received as Punch-Out and Dark Moon.

This happens when the parent company actively tried to bury a franchise.
If that was there intent you wouldn't even get this. The truth is more like Nintendo doesn't have any open studios that would be good to develope metroid, since Retro has been doing other stuff and their other studios aren't great fits, so they gave it to a third party, but after the backlash other m got they were afraid to give a third party control over a mainline metroid

KingBroly

Banned

What Metroid needs is AAA production, but I can't see Nintendo ever giving it the production it deserves. They're struggling enough with Zelda, which will be smaller than Skyrim.

Going by what Tanabe said, my impression was it's going to be "part of it takes place here, some over there, etc." meaning no real continuity other than some vague sense of progression because you might have a Mission list.

Going by production values, Zelda doesn't even have AAA production values. Just basic things like slow text, only being able to sell certain things at certain times, pickup prompts repeating, no voice acting and very iffy textures keep showing up and always come across as being very rough around the edges. Other M was like Family Guy's spoof of the Six Million Dollar Man. "We can rebuild him. But I don't want to spend a lot of money." The closest games Nintendo's made with AAA production values are the Xenoblade games...and they sell like shit.

SalvaPot

Adding half-assed Samus missions to this thing will not save it.

The primary thing that will save it is that it needs to be a good fucking game.

That's the magic secret.

That did not save Codename STEAM and Wonderful 101...

I don´t know why but I have the impression that most of the people complaining aboth FF have not even seen the treehouse footage and based their opinion in Blast Ball. The idea is to make the people try it out and then maybe they´ll like the multiplayer aspect of it. Maybe.

Doorman

Tanabe stated during E3 that the whole conception of the game was based around making a game that focused on the Federation troopers and not Samus, so I doubt that they'd suddenly completely turn around on what one of their founding ideals was.

Not to mention, at this point, with this game's art style, the rabid Metroid fanbase that's complaining about it so much would only continue to complain even harder than before at the thought of a "Samus story mode" being tacked-on. Samus would not look good in this style, and I'm sure whatever story they do implement in the game's current co-op missions would be deemed total schlock and not worthy of a "real" Metroid game regardless. The people want what they want, which is not what this game is nor ever will be.

Their only option, really, would be to either change the art-style (unlikely since they'd have to totally rebuild the character models), or just strive to make the actual gameplay experience as tight and engaging as they possibly can and hope that the non-purists eventually come around.

Toxi

Banned
It deserves to be treated like their best selling franchises, despite decent western sales and abysmal Japanese sales? People need to get over the idea that a franchise deserves top treatment just because they like it
Dude, you have a Xenoblade avatar. I can guarantee Xenoblade Chronicles X has a far higher budget than most Metroid games despite the first game selling less than a million copies.

KingBroly

Banned
Tanabe stated during E3 that the whole conception of the game was based around making a game that focused on the Federation troopers and not Samus, so I doubt that they'd suddenly completely turn around on what one of their founding ideals was.

Not to mention, at this point, with this game's art style, the rabid Metroid fanbase that's complaining about it so much would only continue to complain even harder than before at the thought of a "Samus story mode" being tacked-on. Samus would not look good in this style, and I'm sure whatever story they do implement in the game's current co-op missions would be deemed total schlock and not worthy of a "real" Metroid game regardless. The people want what they want, which is not what this game is nor ever will be.

Their only option, really, would be to either change the art-style (unlikely since they'd have to totally rebuild the character models), or just strive to make the actual gameplay experience as tight and engaging as they possibly can and hope that the non-purists eventually come around.

Tanabe said Samus would be in this game as a cameo...somewhere.

I can't say I'm looking forward to it, or the inevitable amiibo to accompany it.

Dude, you have a Xenoblade avatar. I can guarantee Xenoblade Chronicles X has a far higher budget than most Metroid games despite the first game selling less than a million copies.
It's also a new ip that they're trying to promote. I guarantee if X does really badly they'll scale back on The franchise if not kill it outright

Regiruler

When was the last time Nintendo made an AAA anything? I'd wager that even Mario Kart 8 had less go into its budget than any given CoD.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This happens when the parent company actively tried to bury a franchise.

they didn't actively try to bury anything. they did what they always do. they came up with a game, figured there was a franchise that they could slide it into as a spinoff, and put the franchise's trappings around it.

They do the same thing with Mario. They do the same thing with Animal Crossing. They do the same thing with Zelda. They do the same thing with Pokemon.

The only difference is that Metroid games don't sell as well as those franchises in the first place. That's the real truth behind why we're getting this instead of a real Metroid game.

Super Metroid is the closest thing there has ever been to a perfect game. The Prime series is damn close to that quality.

Metroid fans need to get over this shit and stop acting like this game is a personal insult.

KingBroly

Banned
When was the last time Nintendo made an AAA anything? I'd wager that even Mario Kart 8 had less go into its budget than any given CoD.

Xenoblade Chronicles and X

But the first one sold terribly in Japan, and because it sold beyond expectations in the west they got a bigger budget, probably too big, for X.

Instro

I love metroid. I also love Zelda which is getting a similar spinoff this month. But a vocal part of the metroid fan base is super whiny

The Zelda spin-off looks like junk too. People don't care about it because there are regular meaningful entries in the franchise and the next one is coming soon.

I'm just worried it will sell poorly, and Nintendo will go, "WELP guess people don't like Metroid anymore let's cancel the franchise"

I'd rather that if this is what they have planned for the future of the franchise.

I'm more surprised that there are people who are unironically looking at a four-player FPS on the DS and saying "WELL HOLD ON GUYS WE NEED TO GIVE IT A CHANCE"

Some people will defend Nintendo to the death.

SalvaPot

OP, I think you've missed the point of the fan base's, admittedly childish, but no less valid criticism of Nintendo on this title. From the conversations I've had with other fans, and my own personal feelings on the matter, most are more frustrated that Nintendo decided to take the Metroid name and ostensibly slap on, what appears to be, a game that really didn't need to be a Metroid game.

Don't get me wrong, it could be a fun little romp with friends; but why make it a Metroid branded game? The fans have been very, VERY vocal about wanting a new, good Metroid game for 7+ years, but Nintendo has usually come back saying something like "the audience isn't big enough to warrant a new game". I mean, people freaked out when Nintendo announced Other M, because it was finally a main-line game in the series... and then it was a disappointment to the majority of fans (a whole other conversation to have).

So finally, after the great disappointment that was Other M, Nintendo decide to announce a new Metroid game within the Prime universe! And then we find out it's a multiplayer game based off of the generic Galactic Federation... that didn't star Samus... that was mission based... Why is this a Metroid game again? Why bother giving it that brand if not to try and assuage some of the complaints that long time fans had... lol

There's no saving this game in the eyes of the super hardcore fans. Do some of those fans need to lighten up? Surely... but let's not place all the blame on the consumer here. Nintendo blew it at E3, and no manner of tweaking would bring this back from the grave for many. Sorry mate... This was a big mistake on Nintendo's part.

I agree with what you are saying, the way Nintendo handled the premiere was atrocious, even then I feel that under all that bad press there is a legit Metroid game waiting to be discovered, even if its in a new flavor. Maybe I am too idealistic but I do believe fans can turn around if a few tweaks are made. The main idea to announce a main metroid game to go with it might be the easy solution.

Spladam

80K dislikes on that video. Holy shit, lol.

I had no idea this game existed, and looking at that trailer I'm not sure it should.
I was shocked by the dislikes, that's crazy.

It's just a spin-off for a hand-held.

This is literally like saying, "Metroid Prime Pinball can be saved"

Adding half-assed Samus missions to this thing will not save it.

The primary thing that will save it is that it needs to be a good fucking game.

That's the magic secret.

This is how I feel about it. I'm a LONG time fan of the series, I hope Samus is nowhere near this game, but if it's fun, it's fun, it just happens to have the brand's name and share some gameplay aspects. I don't think they are trying to sell this as the Metroid successor or anything, and we always had to wait for the goods when it came to Metroid. They do owe us one for "Other M" though, so when it comes, I'm kinda expecting some greatness, I think this is what's contributing so much to the dislikes, as others have said. We just have to wait.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Samus IS Metroid. Who the hell is the target market for this game, seriously? Nobody asked for or wants a Metroid game that doesn't star Samus Aran, one of the most iconic, strong female characters in games. As bad as Star Fox on Wii U looks to be shaping up (another franchise Nintendo is seemingly sabotaging), at least you play as Fox McLeod in that game FFS.

Fans have a right to be mad. Hope this game gets raked over the coals on Metacritic.

mantidor

lol sorry let me revise my statement. They actively seek out and create situations to complain about it. This isn't new either, it's been happening for years

What "situations" are you talking about? there's been only one, and it's this game, in a period of five years.

KingBroly

Banned
I agree with what you are saying, the way Nintendo handled the premiere was atrocious, even then I feel that under all that bad press there is a legit Metroid game waiting to be discovered, even if its in a new flavor. Maybe I am too idealistic but I do believe fans can turn around if a few tweaks are made. The main idea to announce a main metroid game to go with it might be the easy solution.

Them announcing a new Metroid game would just make Federation Force ignored even more. They have legitimately put all of their chips in this basket and they can't go back on it until it comes out. It's a damned-if-you, damned-if-you-don't situation here.

The game is fine if you take it for what it is rather than what its not. Its not trying to be a traditional Metroid game. Its supposed to be an alternate take of the Metroid Universe from the perspective of Joe Galactic Federation and company, not Samus. If you want them to make the game about her then your asking them to make a completely different game. Don't get me wrong, I think it was an extremely misguided move to make the first game with the Metroid license in half a decade a handheld spinoff but I warmed up to it after watching the Treehouse sessions. NLG is good at what they do and I'm sure the game will turn out well.

SalvaPot

Them announcing a new Metroid game would just make Federation Force ignored even more. They have legitimately put all of their chips in this basket and they can't go back on it until it comes out. It's a damned-if-you, damned-if-you-don't situation here.

Haha, pretty much. Who knows what they have in store, for know I just want the game to be great and to be successful enough to get their costs back. Also we really don´t know how the more casuals fans will react to it, its the first metroid prime portable game in a loooong time and that market is really different than the home console market. For all we know the game by itself could bring new fans to the series.

Just look at Paper Mario Sticker Star, a lot of vocal people hated that game and is still the best selling Paper Mario game.

Edit: Double post, I always forget to edit.

KingBroly

Banned
Haha, pretty much. Who knows what they have in store, for know I just want the game to be great and to be successful enough to get their costs back. Also we really don´t know how the more casuals fans will react to it, its the first metroid prime portable game in a loooong time and that market is really different than the home console market. For all we know the game by itself could bring new fans to the series.

Just look at Paper Mario Sticker Star, a lot of vocal people hated that game and is still the best selling Paper Mario game.

Edit: Double post, I always forget to edit.

You want my opinion? Take Metroid off of it and turn it into Splatoon Squad where you fight Octoling forces. That's legitimately the only what it'd sell half a damn.

redcrayon

they didn't actively try to bury anything. they did what they always do. they came up with a game, figured there was a franchise that they could slide it into as a spinoff, and put the franchise's trappings around it.

They do the same thing with Mario. They do the same thing with Animal Crossing. They do the same thing with Zelda. They do the same thing with Pokemon.
I appreciate FF and Triforce Heroes are quick-turnaround ideas with a familiar franchise bolted on to flesh out the release list of a console that will be five years old when FF releases with a relatively imminent successor.

The only difference is that Metroid games don't sell as well as those franchises in the first place. That's the real truth behind why we're getting this instead of a real Metroid game.

I'm surprised they haven't cracked out another 2D Metroid since Fusion though, that must have been far cheaper to make than this if they wanted a dirt-cheap franchise title. I don't think FF exists because they wanted to put out a Metroid and Metroid sells poorly, they are putting it out because it's filler for the release list and Metroid is the only IP they could think of to paste onto it.

Kriken

Oh, I was under the impression that SS sold more, sorry about that.

How do both compare to Paper Mario 64 and The Thousand Year Door?

Numbers are all there, but here's the breakdown anyways:

Paper Mario: 1.37 Million
TTYD: 1.66 Million
Super Paper Mario: 4.23 Million
Sticker Star: 2.21 Million

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
My main beef, tbh, is based on the potential fear that if it doesn't go over well, it's further 'proof' that Metroid's going to stay in the backburner for the foreseeable future, either/both on the 3DS/NX.

Relatedly, it feels like that a multiplayer co-op game isn't what I imagine most 'traditional' Metroid fans are going to be looking for, (and on that note, adding a mission mode with Samus is basically redoing/adding a section of the game is hilarious as a 'fix') and that the traditional multiplayer crowd on the 3DS for something that isn't Monster Hunter, Pokemon, or Mario Kart is going to be limited.

If it does well enough to justify another 2D Metroid, let it have its moment.

Godiego

Neo Member
The problem with Metroid Federation Force is that Nintendo decided to make a spin-off, when there haven't been any mainline Metroid game in the past 5-6 years. Although I was dissapointed with the announcement, I always wanted to see a spin-off game focusing on the galactic federation and how it would play, and the co-op mission structure really fits this game... But the graphics looks horrible, the first thing I thought was that it looked like jet force gemini with better textures :/

So the question "Do Nintendo even cares?" has an answer.
image_thumb127.png

Meia

A lot of first person games control similarly. Metroid on the other hand is unique when it comes to its control scheme and it's the same as this installment. It's defiantly a Metroid game no matter how much people whine about it.

So the game has a giant overworld/map that you go around, you find obstacles you can't get past but you need a new powerup for so you can come back later, and some giant things for you to fight?

Oh wait, you're telling me it has NONE of those things? Well, it's JUST like Metroid then!

Regiruler

Xenoblade Chronicles and X

But the first one sold terribly in Japan, and because it sold beyond expectations in the west they got a bigger budget, probably too big, for X.
Those are big in environment, not necessarily big budget.
Or do you have some numbers?

Top Bottom