• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Federation Force can be "saved"

SalvaPot

I think the game will probably end up being decent for what it is - NLG has a fairly good track record with Nintendo - but it's just astonishingly poor brand management any way you slice it.

It's been five years since the last Metroid game and eight since the last Prime game. If they don't have enough faith in the IP to greenlight a new mainline entry, why use the Metroid brand on a tangentially related spinoff at all?

On the other hand, if they are secretly developing a new mainline Metroid, they really, really shouldn't be announcing tangentially related spinoffs until they're in a position to at least tease the mainline game.

I got another idea. Release the game and the game ending features a exclusive trailer for Metroid Prime 4 by Retro Studious and an exclusive code to download the playable demo on your Wii U.

Canon

Banned
It is going to be a fine game, entitled kids will not even play it, just like how everyone and their moms hated on Metroid: Other M yet the sales data proves that it's impossible for them to all have played it, so the vast majority are forming opinions based on the horde mentality rather than playing it themselves.

Is it what we want? No, but move on and accept they're doing something different, and it doesn't affect you - or, it shouldn't - on a personal level.

KingBroly

Banned
I wonder what the reactions in this thread would be if the beloved franchise of one of you guys was getting spin-off nonsense instead of a mainline entry. I don't have to wonder at all. People are passionate about things they care about, just because you don't care it doesn't make their response unreasonable or invalid.

Here's the thing about that. Usually spin-offs happen when you know other games for a franchise are in development. Not when a franchise was put into a coma. There's a reason people don't get pissed off when another Mario Sports title is announced or Halo Wars 2 or LittleBigPlanet Kart Racing is announced. It's because people know another one is coming because the franchise is too important to lay. You really can't say that about Metroid, especially not after looking at how badly Nintendo has handled the franchise dating back to the NES/Game Boy days.

The game's gonna make it. Some will buy, others won't. Can't stop the rain of complaining that it's not another Metroid Prime, but hey. Can't really satisfy everybody these days.

It looks bland and boring as a new IP, and it looks like dogshit as a Metroid game.

There's no reason for this to exist.

Agreed. This was a big a WTF moment from Nintendo as I can remember, considering it IS done by Next Level Games right after the fucking fantastic Dark Moon.

This game feels like something someone would totally make up to shitpost in a console wars argument. It's flat out sorry.

I thought that the soccer shooty game in it looked fun.

There hasn't been an outright bad Prime game as far as I'm concerned and after Punch Out I'm willing to give Next Level the benefit of the doubt.

And if it's good it's good, if it's disappointing I think I'll be able to move on just fine.

People over react to things. Personally, I think Next-Level Games are a bunch of talented developers and the game will turn pretty good. You'll probably get a proper Metroidvania game
(Bloodstained)
down the line but as of right now, just enjoy the ride.

SalvaPot

Here's the thing about that. Usually spin-offs happen when you know other games for a franchise are in development. Not when a franchise was put into a coma. There's a reason people don't get pissed off when another Mario Sports title is announced or Halo Wars 2 or LittleBigPlanet Kart Racing is announced. It's because people know another one is coming because the franchise is too important to lay. You really can't say that about Metroid, especially not after looking at how badly Nintendo has handled the franchise dating back to the NES/Game Boy days.

Now that you mention this, I think the best analogy would be Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. That game was just such a huge departure from the originals.

Toxi

Banned
The game's gonna make it. Some will buy, others won't. Can't stop the rain of complaining that it's not another Metroid Prime, but hey. Can't really satisfy everybody these days.
The last game I saw got this kind of response was The Bureau: XCOM Declassified.

Remember how well that sold?

Let's hope so. The fans definitely don't "deserve" another.
Wow, this is one of the most bitter comments I've ever seen on NeoGAF.

I wonder what the reactions in this thread would be if the beloved franchise of one of you guys was getting spin-off nonsense instead of a mainline entry. I don't have to wonder at all. People are passionate about things they care about, just because you don't care it doesn't make their response unreasonable or invalid.
I love metroid. I also love Zelda which is getting a similar spinoff this month. But a vocal part of the metroid fan base is super whiny

Toxi

Banned
I love metroid. I also love Zelda which is getting a similar spinoff this month. But a vocal part of the metroid fan base is super whiny
Triforce Heroes actually plays like a Zelda game, so it's not really similar.

Also, Zelda actually gets games on a regular basis.

Balb

The game is not judged for what it presents, its judged in comparison to what came before it

I can only speak for myself but I found the game to be extremely unappealing during the Nintendo World Championship and thought it was the worst part of the tournament (at the time, not just in hindsight). Yeah they only showed a part of the game (I assume they'll be bundled together) but I didn't think it had anything going for it.

Simply put, this is a game I would have zero interest in, Metroid or not. With that being said, I'm not "upset" with it either, so maybe I'm not who the OP is referring to.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm just worried it will sell poorly, and Nintendo will go, "WELP guess people don't like Metroid anymore let's cancel the franchise"

Considering they said this about Chibi Robo, and Square said the same about localizations following DQ Heroes, it will probably be something they say.

Triforce Heroes actually plays like a Zelda game, so it's not really similar.

Also, Zelda actually gets games on a regular basis.
And federation force plays like a metroid game. The part that people are worried about aren't the core mechanics

I'm more surprised that there are people who are unironically looking at a four-player FPS on the DS and saying "WELL HOLD ON GUYS WE NEED TO GIVE IT A CHANCE"

I got another idea. Release the game and the game ending features a exclusive trailer for Metroid Prime 4 by Retro Studious and an exclusive code to download the playable demo on your Wii U.

That's a good idea... until you realizes that Metroid Prime 4 is probably not going to happen.
The first one is probably the most overrated game in the series anyway. Seriously people let Retro and Metroid move on.

Xav

I think the game looks and sounds shit all around. The fact it carries the Metroid is just the worst.

Just cancel the game. NO ONE asked for this and now that we've seen it, NO ONE wants it.

You know you fucked up when people would rather see a Other M 2.

Considering they said this about Chibi Robo, and Square said the same about localizations following DQ Heroes, it will probably be something they say.

It's also Nintendo's strange brand of logic

Oh, black handhelds sell slightly more than white in NA? Just cancel all the white ones!

Oh, some people on Club Nintendo surveys didn't like the story in Super Paper Mario? Let's just gut the story from the next Paper Mario game!

I think the game looks and sounds shit all around. The fact it carries the Metroid is just the worst.

Just cancel the game. NO ONE asked for this and now that we've seen it, NO ONE wants it.

No one asked for a lot of games that turned out to be fun.

That's a very silly point of view.

Why do you get to decide no one wants it. I personally think the game looks fun and want to give it a chance. And seriously, even if it sells poorly, it's still better than flushing all the work put into it down the drain

Kinda does. This is about a video game. Also I wouldn't care if a franchise I love got a spinoff instead of a mainline game.

Wow, this is one of the most bitter comments I've ever seen on NeoGAF.
Just being honest.

Toxi

Banned
And federation force plays like a metroid game. The part that people are worried about aren't the core mechanics
It doesn't play like Metroid. Yes it controls like Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2, but that's like saying Portal 2 plays the same as Team Fortress 2 because they control similarly.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
The great thing about Federation Force is that it's guaranteed to be awful so people will finally realize Other M wasn't so bad after all, a solid 8/10 imo.

It doesn't play like Metroid. Yes it controls like Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2, but that's like saying Portal 2 plays the same as Team Fortress 2 because they control similarly.

A lot of first person games control similarly. Metroid on the other hand is unique when it comes to its control scheme and it's the same as this installment. It's defiantly a Metroid game no matter how much people whine about it.

mantidor

Save? It looks fine to me

It seriously does not.

It looks bland and boring as a new IP, and it looks like dogshit as a Metroid game.

There's no reason for this to exist.

Pretty much.

I don't care about spin offs, I'll get anything Metroid since we the fans are used to breadcrumbs, but this game looks pretty bland, Metroid or not.

The ball thing looks kind of fun, but not enough for a full fledged game.

I would just like to say that despite kind of enjoying Other M at the time, I think it's complete crap in retrospect.

Fedoration Force looks like a lot of fun though.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Adding half-assed Samus missions to this thing will not save it.

The primary thing that will save it is that it needs to be a good fucking game.

That's the magic secret.

mantidor

I'm honestly sick of the vocal part of the metroid fan base that whines at even the smallest opportunity

Ok this is complete BS and you know it.

The Metroid fanbase doesn't even get that much opportunities at all to complain, the last game was released 5 freaking years ago, and it had a lot of legitimate criticism. Stop the hyperbole.

Toxi

Banned
A lot of first person games control similarly. Metroid on the other hand is unique when it comes to its control scheme and it's the same as this installment. It's defiantly a Metroid game no matter how much people whine about it.
Okay, sorry, it doesn't play like a Metroid game most people actually want, which is a game based around the exploration the series became famous for.

Again, the closest comparison to this I can think of is The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. When the trailer came out, everybody hated it because it was nothing like the XCOM game they actually wanted. They wanted a tactical RTS, they got a shitty-looking first-person shooter. When the game came out, it completely bombed because of the initial reaction.

Question though: In what way does this look bad besides the fact it's not a mainline entry?

Okay, sorry, it doesn't play like a Metroid game most people actually want, which is a game based around exploration.

Again, the closest comparison to this I can think of is The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. When the trailer came out, everybody hated it because it was nothing like the XCOM game they actually wanted. When the game came out, it completely bombed.

Except the Bureau was advertised as the return of XCOM and this was before Enemy Unknown came out. It recieved very little attention and lukewarm reviews. That's why bombed. Not to mention 2, Prime 3 and Other M are as linear as games get and those are accepted as main entries.

OP, I think you've missed the point of the fan base's, admittedly childish, but no less valid criticism of Nintendo on this title. From the conversations I've had with other fans, and my own personal feelings on the matter, most are more frustrated that Nintendo decided to take the Metroid name and ostensibly slap on, what appears to be, a game that really didn't need to be a Metroid game.

Don't get me wrong, it could be a fun little romp with friends; but why make it a Metroid branded game? The fans have been very, VERY vocal about wanting a new, good Metroid game for 7+ years, but Nintendo has usually come back saying something like "the audience isn't big enough to warrant a new game". I mean, people freaked out when Nintendo announced Other M, because it was finally a main-line game in the series... and then it was a disappointment to the majority of fans (a whole other conversation to have).

So finally, after the great disappointment that was Other M, Nintendo decide to announce a new Metroid game within the Prime universe! And then we find out it's a multiplayer game based off of the generic Galactic Federation... that didn't star Samus... that was mission based... Why is this a Metroid game again? Why bother giving it that brand if not to try and assuage some of the complaints that long time fans had... lol

There's no saving this game in the eyes of the super hardcore fans. Do some of those fans need to lighten up? Surely... but let's not place all the blame on the consumer here. Nintendo blew it at E3, and no manner of tweaking would bring this back from the grave for many. Sorry mate... This was a big mistake on Nintendo's part.

Ok this is complete BS and you know it.

The Metroid fanbase doesn't even get that much opportunities at all to complain, the last game was released 5 freaking years ago, and it had a lot of legitimate criticism. Stop the hyperbole.
lol sorry let me revise my statement. They actively seek out and create situations to complain about it. This isn't new either, it's been happening for years

Metroid is one of my most beloved game series of all time. Easily one of my favourites. I even liked Other M. I care very much about the franchise. Even if Federation Force ends up being bad, it's an entry to the series, which means that Nintendo hasn't forgotten about it, spin-off or not. They are trying to find other avenues for the brand of Metroid, and that's GOOD. Not bad. And they also recognize the backlash to everything, as the OP has observed.

Was the reveal of Federation Force a bad idea, PR-wise? Indubitably. However, most of the backlash is because it's not the game that people expected. Again, if Nintendo had come out and mentioned a "proper" Metroid game was in development, this game would have nowhere near as much negative response as it does. Most people probably wouldn't even care about it.

You know what's a series I personally am very passionate about that is truly dead? F-Zero. And if Nintendo released a spin-off to F-Zero, no matter how shit, I'd be ecstatic, as it would mean Nintendo still cares about the brand, and is looking into avenues to market it. And that increases the likelihood of a new mainline entry.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The problem is not that this is being developed, the problem is that this game is being developed before a mainline Metroid game. I'm OK with spinoffs like this if they give us with every Metroid fan wants, a new Metroid game that is not a spinoff.

True Fire

If they add a story mode the writing will be cringeworthy and subpar.

What Metroid needs is AAA production, but I can't see Nintendo ever giving it the production it deserves. They're struggling enough with Zelda, which will be smaller than Skyrim.

Top Bottom