• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force |OT| Four Mech Adventures

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I can't believe I solo-golded Dustoff on the first run I did not get smashed. Those Omegas /grrrr

ps: oh, and a heads-up: of course Super Missiles cannot catch up with the Pirate dropships : /

I've just finished this and the last few missions clinched it for me: I think this is my game of the year so far.

Other than one dodgy and frustrating mission in the middle, I don't really have any negative points about the game. The gameplay was varied and fresh, the online works well and was very stable throughout, the story was decent and felt epic by the end, the bosses were great and it definitely didn't outstay it's welcome.

It's sad that people are willing to miss out on this just because it wasn't what they wanted from the series. I for one enjoyed seeing a diferent aspect of the universe.
MP:FF is a very strong contender for my GOTY as well. Aside from the fact I love how fleshed out the Prime universe gets with the Federation side of things, seldom has a game managed to leave me fully content in such varied ways as FF's single and muti have.

ps: on the attention-to-details side of things, FF on the OG has an interesting tweak to the gyro aiming, where the game tries to detect if the player is centered for the parallax barrier and deactivates stereoscopy if the game detects the player is not positioned properly. That's quite helpful for people who try to enjoy both the amazing stereoscopy of the game, and the superior gyro aiming. /thumb up

Anyone got any tips on how to do M04: Containment solo without Lone Wolf? I've tried it quite a few times and broke all my favorite mods. :(
That's one of the early missions I cannot gold for the life of me. First, I cannot capture two Ice Titans simultaneously - I get pummelled in the cage with the two of them, and second, I'm always 11-15 seconds late for the time bonus. I'll seek coop later today.

Tillbo

Interested in picking this up, but just had a couple of quick questions for people with the game...

Is it easy to join/connect to online sessions, or can it take awhile?

Also, I have a Samus amiibo, does that unlock anything aside from a skin?

Finally, what's the framerate like? I've heard mixed things.

Tillbo

1) no
2) you know you can still download the free blast ball thing, right? :)

Yeah got that, wondered what the framerate for the main game was like that's all and was worried as it didn't sell as well as expected how hard it was to find/join games.

TheMoon

Yeah got that, wondered what the framerate for the main game was like that's all and was worried as it didn't sell as well as expected how hard it was to find/join games.

in my limited time with the full thing so far everything ran just as smoothly (N3DS). can't recall seeing any framerate complains on either model, though.

blu

Framerate is rock-solid on an OG, across all scenarios I've come across (15% completion), single and multi.

blu

Just a heads-up: there is no sharing of savegames between the cart and DL flavors of FF. Now I need to build up two mechs ;p

Z3M0G

I am happy this thread has actually picked up a little steam as time went on. :) The game deserves it.

I played through on old 3DS and I don't remember any frame rate issues... smooth / great looking game.

Mission 12: Last stand has been awfully weak; ridiculously short, with a boss (the giant beetle) quite limited in his routines and too easy to beat. I feel like this mission lacks the level itself, because despite being a boss battle it doesn't have substance enough to justify the entire mission going about it. It should have been the miniboss of a standard level or have been more complex about the idea of slowing down a giant monster.

By far the worst mission of the game at this point.

blu

This is literally for all 3DS games blu.
Well, I was curious, and now we have a confirmation : ) But anyway, I absolutely don't mind going multiple times through FF, given I've been through every single prime 3+ times.

It seems to me that the game's timer doesn't stop when the 3DS is in sleep mode, since my save file says that I played the game for more than 99 hours.
Can anyone confirm it?

blu

Ok, I surely must be imagining things, but the cart version's RNG is so much friendlier than the DL one:

• Null Plating on my friggin first run of m01.
  • Red/white striped paintjob on my second run of m01 (golded).
What's next - a date with Samus?

I was playing mission 17 last night where you have to defend the drill for 10 minutes. While we were sitting in the evac thing at the end a ship came by and blasted us with a missile and we got mission failed, all players killed or something.

WTF was that? Was someone not in the evac thing? Is there really a 10 second window at the end of a 10 minute mission for everyone to get in otherwise it's instafail? If so, that's some garbage ass mission design. I don't want to keep playing this with people unwittingly trying to get some last second kills in and failing the mission.

blu

I was playing mission 17 last night where you have to defend the drill for 10 minutes. While we were sitting in the evac thing at the end a ship came by and blasted us with a missile and we got mission failed, all players killed or something.

WTF was that? Was someone not in the evac thing? Is there really a 10 second window at the end of a 10 minute mission for everyone to get in otherwise it's instafail? If so, that's some garbage ass mission design. I don't want to keep playing this with people unwittingly trying to get some last second kills in and failing the mission.
Even when playing solo, one can take hits right after docking the lift device. I took some hits while waiting on the lift on Dustoff.

Z3M0G

Mission 12: Last stand has been awfully weak; ridiculously short, with a boss (the giant beetle) quite limited in his routines and too easy to beat. I feel like this mission lacks the level itself, because despite being a boss battle it doesn't have substance enough to justify the entire mission going about it. It should have been the miniboss of a standard level or have been more complex about the idea of slowing down a giant monster.

By far the worst mission of the game at this point.
Yet first time I tried this mission with an online group we failed misurably... I feel it stands well as a unique mission. Variety is good.

Even when playing solo, one can take hits right after docking the lift device. I took some hits while waiting on the lift on Dustoff.

But there was a cutscene of a ship flying by a shooting us with a missile. At first I thought, "wasn't that supposed to be a bomb?" and then the mission failed screen popped up. Very perplexing.

Azuardo

Hi all, I'm jumping in here because I just got stuck on the mission 7 boss, and figured I'm probably gonna need some help.

I went online to look for randoms, but no one was joining my game.

Is there anyone here who might be willing to help me complete mission 7, please?

blu

Hi all, I'm jumping in here because I just got stuck on the mission 7 boss, and figured I'm probably gonna need some help.

I went online to look for randoms, but no one was joining my game.

Is there anyone here who might be willing to help me complete mission 7, please?
Sure. 0946-2426-9886.

Azuardo

Apologies we missed all the MODs. I accidentally got the wrong AUX and then fumbled the ledge jump : /

I didn't even know there were mods, but I did think those ledges made out there was another path.

Don't worry about it :)

blu

I didn't even know there were mods, but I did think those ledges made out there was another path.

Don't worry about it :)
We'll do it better next time ; ) But now I have one red-white striped mech to nurture ; )

Azuardo

Anyone around to help me on mission 14 Tremor, with that lava boss? I've set up a public room for now. Thanks!

Edit: complete

Tillbo

Ok so ordered this. Got bored of waiting for a price drop....

For people who have the game though, do the Samus Amiibos unlocks add anything worthwhile? Which is better?

Regiruler

Ok so ordered this. Got bored of waiting for a price drop....

For people who have the game though, do the Samus Amiibos unlocks add anything worthwhile? Which is better?
They both give a skin, both of which give you more items per pack of a specific type (suit is missles, zero suit is slow beam).

Good god some of these missions are damn near impossible playing solo, even with lone wolf. Carting items (minerals, power cores, Architects, etc.) is an exercise in frustration.

Despite that, the challenge can be fun and there's some really varied missions here. The first boss' insta-kill attack is BS and should be weakened for solo players, but the 2nd boss was a lot of fun.

I've played though the first 5 missions solo and have had a pretty good time.

Question about amiibos. Nintendo's site says Mario, Bowser, Silver Mario, etc., are all useable so I scanned them all and the the only thing I got was the X-ray skin for each one. Is that correct? They all unlock the same thing?

PtM

Banned
I've played though the first 5 missions solo and have had a pretty good time.

Question about amiibos. Nintendo's site says Mario, Bowser, Silver Mario, etc., are all useable so I scanned them all and the the only thing I got was the X-ray skin for each one. Is that correct? They all unlock the same thing?
The Mariibos give different skins in Blasted Balls.

Toxi

Banned
Man, every time I start this up, I just have no motivation. I was pretty optimistic about the game at first, but after beating the last mission I have had little desire to go through the hard mode missions. It doesn't help that there's nothing else to unlock besides paint jobs.

Regiruler

Man, every time I start this up, I just have no motivation. I was pretty optimistic about the game at first, but after beating the last mission I have had little desire to go through the hard mode missions. It doesn't help that there's nothing else to unlock besides paint jobs.
I'd reconsider. The different loadouts available can really change the mission a bit (lack of super missle makes the bosses more challenging, etc).

And while they didn't make as many changes as I would like, some of the changes they did make are some surprisingly nice touches.

blu

Noooo, my Null Plating got destroyed in an online match with overpowered allies and hard-mode difficulty (Containment with a blizzard). That plating has saved my ass so many times. Noooo.

blu

They hand out null plating like candy. I have over 10.

Complain when both your 50% and 30% armors get busted.
I have a bucketload of 20% platings, perhaps one or two 30% platings and just one null plating. Had one null plating. Dammit.

edit: actually, I want to complain about the amiibo skins - all my amiibos gave me the same x-ray skin : /

blu

So, any ideas what's in the 1.1.0 update?

TheMoon

So, any ideas what's in the 1.1.0 update?
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17227/p/430
Version 1.1

Fixed an issue that caused errors to occur when beginning Online Play in Blast Ball.
Added a count-down timer to the team selection screen in the Online Play mode of Blast Ball.
During matches in the Online Play mode of Blast Ball, players will be disconnected if they fail to make any inputs for a set amount of time.
Other adjustments have been made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.

blu

Ok, tips welcome for Uplink gold soloing sans Lone Wolf. Decoys?

Shiggy

screenshot2016-09-23a5fs7v.png

Hard to believe how long they kept sitting on this game.

Shiggy

The game was delayed, so they weren't exactly sitting on it.

So? Nintendo has been doing this for quite some time on 3DS as the release schedule would be quite some wasteland if it wasn't for them delaying games. Now they have at least one or two games every month instead of just some low tier 3rd party titles.

they sat even longer on Majora 3D, iirc.

was rated before it was even announced.

Yeah, that was quite amazing when the game was done, they were asked about it a year before release, and then couldn't really say anything because they wanted to delay it for New 3DS launch.

blu

Ok, had the most nerve breaking online game yet. Imagine this:

1. internet over my phone, in a barely-any-cell-coverage area (game's netcode is rock-solid, BTW)
2. just two of us, on Tremors, with none of us having played that level before apparently (peer ran past a rather easy mod location)
3. I had by some unbelievable luck, or a hitch, the following setup: 50% dmg reduction, null plating and 100% freeze extender.

That mod setup saved our asses A GAZILLION times during the orb battle - I was downed once, my peer - a few times, and most of those times I survived by the skin of my teeth (null + 50% reduce) while reviving him (final phase with ground pounding shockwaves). And those were my only 50% reduce and null platings - losing those would've been devastating to my career. But we came out victorious, with almost 2 medals, at that. My hands are still shaky /signing out for the night.

Top Bottom