• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

People hated on MoF because it looked like one of those PSP games made by a Western studio that's literally nothing more than a filler product. This is more or less what David Cox confirmed in interviews during development: the only reason MoF existed was because LoS2 was taking too long to finish and they needed a game out or else they'd have to fire staff.

That lack of quality and care totally screams throughout the entire product, and it makes perfect sense when you understand why MoF was even made. It's a bad game that broke a habit of solid handheld Castlevania titles, but it was particularly bad because it didn't have a sense of identity. It has a worthless fuckin' map to appeal to the IGA fans, but has godawful QTE God of War combat on a handheld. It's a sidescroller that forces you to use the analog nub.

There is good reason it is one of the worst selling games on Nintendo handhelds, if not the worst selling altogether. I'm sure the demo they put out created more detractors than fans.

Like I said above, having literally just replayed MoF: I agree that the game had an identity crisis and tried too hard to appease three different camps of CV fans (LoS, Igavania, and classic), when it could and should have just embraced a pure Metroid-esque design.

I don't think that makes it a flat-out bad game or even close to it, especially on PC where the framerate issues are gone and the QTEs have been pared back.

But none of the biggest flaws in MoF look to be present here, so we should probably stop arguing about it.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Gameplay looks awesome; modern take on classic 2D Metroid. You whiny bastards best buy 3 copies each so we can get more Metroid.

Glad to hear the music and audio is on point after the M:OM direction.

boiled goose

good with gravy
this game and prime 4 need to sell well last thing we need is for metroid to disappear again

Metroid will be fine and whether we get new games or not is not directly tied to sales.

If Nintendo can come up with new ideas for the franchise, new games will come

The series needed a break after other m

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Sadly will never play sure as hell ain't playing a 3DS again.

Okay...thanks for contributing?

It's kind of a shame folks are willing to pass on a franchise that they've practically begged for just because it's not appearing on the platform they want it to.

I mean hell, my most wanted game is a new Jet Set Radio and I wouldn't bitch about what platform it appeared on, I'd just be glad it existed.

Krammy

"I want a new 2D Metroid game!"

IgPRW8J.png

"Here's a new 2D Metroid game. But it's developed by MercurySteam."

Jokes aside, I'll reserve my full judgement until I see some more footage, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for a decent Metroid from the guys that brought us Mirror of Fate.

KingBroly

Banned
this game and prime 4 need to sell well last thing we need is for metroid to disappear again

I don't think this sells well. Echoes didn't light up the charts. But after AM2R, maybe people buy it and stop giving Nintendo shit over them C&Ding it.

Prime 4? Too early to say.

Szadek

MercurySteam , huh?
That could be a problem, so I hope Nintendo is watching them very closely.
I don't think they would allow them to fuck up a remake, but you never know for sure.

However, if this turns out well, we might more 2D metroid from them in the future, which would be awesome.

Thud

Will support this title, if it plays well.

Although the scary parts seems to be completely gone in this remake. I loved playing AM2R and getting scared about new metroid encounters.

Did they confirm if the game is longer than the original? The original is my favorite Metroid but it's quite short.
Hard to say. This looks more like a complete reimagining of Metroid II in ways that Zero Mission wasn't. The map is basically unrecognizable from my experience. Think of it more as just a new game based on Metroid II, not really just a remake.

maxcriden

Not at the moment but keep in mind that when they remade Zero Mission they added new levels to the game so the same could happen here.

Hard to say. This looks more like a complete reimagining of Metroid II in ways that Zero Mission wasn't. The map is basically unrecognizable from my experience. Think of it more as just a new game based on Metroid II.

Thank you both for the info! Very much looking forward to this.

Krammy

There was a bunch of gameplay on treehouse - did you see that?

Nope, just saw the trailer.

Thanks!

EDIT: The parry seems like a really cool mechanic, but the slowdown accompanying it feels tedious as hell. After a few in quick succession, I was really tired of it. The manual aiming was also a nice QoL improvement, and the audio and visual cues are a great idea. Otherwise, it seems follow the standard Metroid formula pretty well, colour me surprised.

This looks really good on the 3DS screen, but we should all know by now that 3DS games always look so much better on the device than in 2D videos or fuzzy low-resolution stills. (The 3D trailer is a downloadable video from the eShop, as they took out 3D video streaming from the eShop a year or two ago for some inexplicable reason and didn't bring it back.)

beril

Will support this title, if it plays well.

Although the scary parts seems to be completely gone in this remake. I loved playing AM2R and getting scared about new metroid encounters.

Eh I can't say that really applies at all to AM2R either.
Metroid 2 has some of the best atmosphere in the series, but people who remake it don't really seem to get it, and generally don't seem to like the game very much but just try to make it into Super Metroid, or in this case some modern 3D action hybrid. I don't see much of the actual strengths of of M2 in either project, but rather just some superficial similarities and overall structure, which isn't necessarily the best part of the game (in fact the structure is one of the most common complaints about the original). But at least this looks like it can be good on it's own, but I'll pretend it's completely unrelated to Metroid 2

GRW810

This came out of the blue. Was just about to turn the Treehouse stream off after Mario footage, then BAM. New 2D Metroid outta nowhere. Loved the look of the footage. Will be my first 3DS game in forever.

When they say "reimagining" are we talking about a new game inspired by the themes and basic structure of Metroid 2 or are we talking about Metroid 2 with new graphics and some new abilities. Because I hope this game is somewhat larger in scope than Metroid 2.

OmegaZero

Finally, a new 2D Metroid. The 3D eShop trailer looked pretty awesome, hopefully the game turns out great and (hopefully) replayable.

Maximo

Okay...thanks for contributing?

It's kind of a shame folks are willing to pass on a franchise that they've practically begged for just because it's not appearing on the platform they want it to.

I mean hell, my most wanted game is a new Jet Set Radio and I wouldn't bitch about what platform it appeared on, I'd just be glad it existed.

And? No different to passing on a franchise when it appears on a rival system you own.

Maedhros

Watching the gameplay video... they didn't seem to have completely fucked the gameplay. Like the free aiming. The parrying seems so so... but the graphics looks like shit, sorry. =/

EDIT: Some new additions to the game were made. That pillar with lots of metroids looks like the one in Super Metroid, with the bosses...

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I am extremely happy that Metroid returns in a big way, and Im getting this day zero - but the game looks ugly, Mercury Steam has a less than stellar track record, and the original Metroid 2 is not a good game. Really hope they change it up to be more of a metroidvania this time around

Rambler

Eh I can't say that really applies at all to AM2R either.
Metroid 2 has some of the best atmosphere in the series, but people who remake it don't really seem to get it, and generally don't seem to like the game very much but just try to make it into Super Metroid, or in this case some modern 3D action hybrid. I don't see much of the actual strengths of of M2 in either project, but rather just some superficial similarities and overall structure, which isn't necessarily the best part of the game (in fact the structure is one of the most common complaints about the original). But at least this looks like it can be good on it's own, but I'll pretend it's completely unrelated to Metroid 2
Yeah Metroid 2's atmosphere is really underrated. For me the big appeal is how it's the most hostile Metroid game.

In every other game the Chozo are mystical and mysterious and their ruins are awe inspiring. In Metroid 2 they were simply weapons designers that were destroyed by their own creations. You aren't saving the universe, you're going to a genuinely miserable place to carry out a scummy, but necessary, job. There's no organized foe and it's possible that nothing you fight is even sentient. The objective is just straight up seek and destroy.

When they say "reimagining" are we talking about a new game inspired by the themes and basic structure of Metroid 2 or are we talking about Metroid 2 with new graphics and some new abilities. Because I hope this game is somewhat larger in scope than Metroid 2.
All signs point to a massively expanded upon remake.

OuterLimits

3DS is still getting awesome games. Even before today, the recent Atlus announcements would have been enough to keep my hyped about the system.

Effect

Can't believe this was announced. I wish this was in the Spotlight but understand why it wasn't. I hope this does get a Switch version though. I'd double dip on this quickly. If not that's okay. I'm playing my 3DS more then my Switch (and I love it) anyway so if the 3DS games want to keep coming then great.

Top Bottom