• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Sakamoto seemed very enthusiastic about working with Mercury Steam, he made it a point to praise them several times during the Treehouse segment.

This is a bit frustrating and really unexpected - also a bit embarrassing - I actually found myself getting quite motion sick when watching the thirty minute gameplay demo. I think it's because when Samus abruptly comes to a standstill, the camera sometimes this move where it goes sharply back to the left before coming to a stop, and sometimes the camera moves in a very slight circle while Samus is fighting or traversing vertical levels. It's not as bad when the camera is holding still. It seems more stylistic than anything else? I've never had this problem with Metroid before, even really with Prime! If the camera did this in Super Metroid, etc, I didn't have a problem with it then. I feel like I remember the camera being quite still, however?

...yeah, watching a Super Metroid speed run, the camera seems to keep centred on Samus at all times, and only really moves with her, keeping her center in the screen when she jumps, etc, there aren't any unnecessary movements. The camera in Samus Returns just seems to move a lot more, unless it's a shot where the camera is more pulled back and Samus is just on one level.

KooopaKid

Banned
Test for MercurySteam to make the next one on Switch?
Maybe they're already helping on Metroid Prime 4.
The gameplay looks super fluid, I like.

I'm begging everyone who has just the slightest interest in this game to buy it. Nintendo is probably using it to guage interest in a "traditional" Metroid.

Pls

Realeza

Banned
Everything about this game looked good:

- Great visuals with excellent use of contrast and color
- Samus movement seems fluid
- OST sounds straight out of Metroid Prime, and that's always a good thing

Xux

Wow, this looks phenomenal. Definitely the best surprise of E3. A perfect return to form that's exactly what I imagined.

After watching the gameplay footage, I'm not really feeling it. The atmosphere looks too colorful and clean, and lacks the tension of the original.
Gameplay wise, free aim and parry seems to make this play quite differently from a traditional Metroid, and frankly, I would guess worse because it might trivialize all encounters (see the Alpha fight).
I also dislike the Map Scan thing, because it kills the other key element of exploration. It should be a late game item, like the X-Ray visor, to help you find stuff you missed the first time around.
Oh well, will still buy, Metroid needs all the incentive.

Surprised there's not much whining about this not being on Switch

I think most fans are just feeling so blessed that this even exists. And we know Prime 4 is coming to Switch (cough 2019-2020), so it's like like we have nothing else to look forward to. Today has been such a wonderful day

I'm still watching the 35 minute playthrough... so far they destroyed the first Metroid and moved into the second area. I think this looks pretty good for a modern Nintendo remake.

As I expected, it is loaded with player aides like the device that clears the acid (or whatever) from the next area of the map, that gives the player a better visual representation of what happens next. In the original game, you could just destroy all of the Metroid's from an area and get a 'earthquake' that would shake the screen, telling you that the next area is open. They also added teleports to take away from back tracking.

The music does sound nice.

Shame I don;t have a 3DS, or I would consider buying this one.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Don't really care much about Metroid but this looks solid (don't get the 3DS hate) and that counter move just feels fun based on the animation.

Mepsi

Not gonna lie, I was one of the sceptics when I heard about the whole MercurySteam thing. But after seeing the treehouse gameplay stuff I am amazed and so damn hyped for this.

Eusis

Meh, I'll grab it day one. Yeah Mercury Steam has a spotty reputation but it doesn't look like it'll play like Mirror of Fate and the deviations I'm seeing don't look inherently unsuited and might even be a nice way to mix it up. And Nintendo's involved, so that'll raise the baseline and honestly even at worst I'm morbidly curious to see how it will turn out. Better than nothing, especially with AM2R existing.

So, how much better are the 'New' 3DS handhelds when compared to the standard variants. Do games run/look better?
Most games will run the same, a very small number of games use the extra power.

The 3D on the new models have facial tracking, which is a GODSEND.

The OS and Miiverse run a lot smoother too.

kunonabi

Not gonna lie, I was one of the sceptics when I heard about the whole MercurySteam thing. But after seeing the treehouse gameplay stuff I am amazed and so damn hyped for this.

It's been a real rollercoaster for me since I adore Metroid II and hate MS but the Treehouse showing has sold me on it.

At this point if this turns out well the 3DS will be cemented as my favorite handheld of all time. A quality Metroid was the only thing it was really missing.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's been a real rollercoaster for me since I adore Metroid II and hate MS but the Treehouse showing has sold me on it.

At this point if this turns out well the 3DS will be cemented as my favorite handheld of all time. A quality Metroid was the only thing it was really missing.

Lol, I remember back when A Link Between Worlds came out in 2013, and I was thinking "man, this system would be perfect if they made a throwback Metroid game like this."

Took 4 years, but hey -- looks like we finally got it.

cLOUDo

new Handheld Metroid?
biDFHU0.gif

made by MercurySteam...
f2f.gif

Yep, people who are skeptical about the dev should watch the Treehouse demonstration. Looks like it plays well and will look lovely in 3D.

Toxi

Banned
They all have maps. Zero mission has a map. Are people really offended by a map in a exploration based game?
Metroid and the original Metroid 2 lack maps. Super Metroid was the first game to have one.

I'm totally fine with a map though. For the people who don't want one, hopefully there's the option to turn it off.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Metroid and the original Metroid 2 lack maps. Super Metroid was the first game to have one.

I'm totally fine with a map though. For the people who don't want one, hopefully there's the option to turn it off.

3DS also has, you know, Metroid and Metroid 2 if you want that experience.

Metroid and the original Metroid 2 lack maps.

To be Fair, that is a criticism of those games when refereeing them.

Usually I advise people that if their going to try those two games, prepare to get lost and wander aimlessly at times because there is no map. No fault of the games tho, they came out a long time ago

Caelus

Watched some gameplay footage.

Uhh, this looks great. I'm as much an appreciator of pixel art as anyone and I deeply enjoyed AM2R, but this looks like 2.5d done right to me.

People had the same kneejerk reaction to Link Between World's graphics but when it comes to the 3DS, I'm looking forward to how fluid and colorful this game will be.

This, I hated the Mirror of Fate demo on 3DS so much

The additions all look really cool and don't look like they would really disturb the core gameplay of the series. Come to think of it it's finally a 2D Metroid on a dual screen system with the map/ui on the bottom

If you've played any Metroid clone (Guacamelee, Axiom Verge, and so on) on Wii U at all, you'd know that second-screen maps are the best thing to happen to the genre since the introduction of maps. It's the reason I'm gladder to have this on 3DS than on Switch before the dual-screen paradigm slips away from us.

PSFan

To be Fair, that is a criticism of those games when refereeing them.

Usually I advise people that if their going to try those two games, prepare to get lost and wander aimlessly at times because there is no map. No fault of the games tho, they came out a long time ago

You can google for the Metroid map that was in Nintendo Power. That works quite well in preventing getting lost. I think there's a Metroid II map in a later issue as well.

Jeez, a lot of hate for MercurySteam. Not entirely sure why...

Their attempts at reviving Castlevania ranged from uninspired pastiche to just pure shit for my money. I honestly think it's bizarre that they're doing Metroid after already shitting up one classic franchise. Has there been an interview or any info on why they were picked for the task? I'm actually curious.

Top Bottom