• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Just to say it again for a new page, its not like MercurySteam is being let loose on this. Sakamoto is directing, two classic Nintendo composers are doing the music, and Nintendo is supervising.

I mean, there is every chance that this game isn't great, but a few people were saying that Sakamoto was praising them in terms of how well their working relationship has been. So, if its not your thing, cool, but let's all chill and realize that we're getting a new Metroid game in September (with a map that can hopefully be turned off if you don't want it), and then Metroid Prime 4.

Everyone gets a Metroid game (whether you have a Switch and/or 3DS), and that's just fun for everyone!

I'll certainly be getting some mileage out of mine before then with Ever Oasis, the new Fire Emblem, and Culdcept Revolt. Its pretty cool that they're definitely transitioning to Switch, but that the 3DS isn't being unceremoniously dumped like the Wii U was.

Where was it confirmed that Sakamoto is directing?

Anyone find it funny/depressing that Next Level Games, who've done Punch Out Wii and Luigi's Mansion 2 AND had concept art for their own Metroid game, got stuck on Fed Force while Mercury Steam, which have been mostly mediocre devs, get blessed to do a 2D Metroid?

KarmaCow

I thought of Zero Mission right there when I saw it. And as with ZM, I wouldn't mind some developer-intended alternate paths and shortcuts, that's for sure, even if it's not quite the same thing as a break. Nothing would kill this game faster than locked-down linearity full of artificial blocks on the player, something where Fusion already went a little too far for my liking.

Well due to the nature of the original game, there's only so much sequence breaking that you can do when progression is directly tied to killing Metroids. It seems even more restrictive in this if you need to go back to the statue to cash in Metroid kills.

I'm pretty sure he was sitting there during the stream when it was announced

He seemed like he was more in a overseeing position rather than directorial in the Treehouse bit.

Nicko

Special Edition up at GS. Go go go!

Edit: beaten

Edit 2:

This is why fan remakes get cease and desist orders. Just sayin for those that get upset when it happens.

Are people able to put an order through? I'm just able to put my name to request a pre-order for in store pickup, but no payment yet?

Firenze1

Banned
Anyone find it funny/depressing that Next Level Games, who've done Punch Out Wii and Luigi's Mansion 2 AND had concept art for their own Metroid game, got stuck on Fed Force while Mercury Steam, which have been mostly mediocre devs, get blessed to do a 2D Metroid?
It is fucked up. Someone else deserved it.

Metroxed

It seems like all planets and even galaxies align once every fifteen years to give us two Metroid games.

Can't articulate how happy I am about all this.

I'm super iffy about Mercury Steam doing this seeing is that they killed Castlevania, one of of my favorite series alongside Metroid. Hopefully they can redeem themselves and make a good game.

It'll probably better than AM2R though. The boss fights in that were horrendous.

_Aaron_

Just rewatched the Treehouse footage. I think it looks pretty good. I might end up getting the Special Edition of Samus Returns if the price is fair.

Metroid II was one of the first games I played. I was 5 years old at the time and had no idea what to do or how to play it properly.

I'm super iffy about Mercury Steam doing this seeing is that they killed Castlevania, one of of my favorite series alongside Metroid. Hopefully they can redeem themselves and make a good game.
Konami killed Castlevania. I mean, whatever your opinion of Lords of Shadow is (never played it myself), Konami could have easily developed a new IGA (or IGA-like) game.

It'll probably better than AM2R though.
That's not exactly a high bar.

It'll probably better than AM2R though. The boss fights in that were horrendous.
Mercury Steam didn't kill Castlevania, it was already dead the moment Konami decided to westernize it, all they did was revive it with a good game then kill it again with two bad games.

Castlevania if anything was briefly saved by Lords of Shadow, if we didn't get that then I imagine Order of Ecclesia would've been our last outing based on the ever declining sales.

magnetic

Looks fast and fluid with a great action emphasis, which I really like. Nice animations on Samus and the combat looks satisfying, especially that counter move.

I keep asking for help but no does.

YGVwKbq.jpg

I'm sure Nintendo will get their best and it looked really good in the Treehouse Stream.

Petrae

I went from "Instant Buy" when I first heard about this to "Oh, Hell No" when word came through that Mercury Steam was behind it. After their "reimagining" of Castlevania, with their Lords of Shadow games-- which were disappointing to me at best and downright awful at worst-- still leaving bad memories, I have zero confidence in the company now.

Im sure Metroid fans will eat this up, like I did as a Castlevania fan with Lords of Shadow. Hopefully there won't be that same level of disappointment for them.

I don't really trust mecury steam after those 3 castlevania turds. Especially Mirror of Fate as that was a 3DS game.

Hopefully nintendo have this under tight observation.

NLG were also extremely mediocre devs before they started collaborating with Nintendo, in fact you could say that about most of the output for 2nd party studio's doing non Nintendo games. Mercury Stream will grow under Nintendo's wing same as other devs have

NLG were also extremely mediocre devs before they started collaborating with Nintendo, in fact you could say that about most of the output for 2nd party studio's doing non Nintendo games. Mercury Stream will grow under Nintendo's wing same as other devs have

Arzest are under nintendo's wing though

some never grow

Have you seen the gameplay? It looks fantastic.

No, only the trailer. I'll have to check that out when it gets rolled up and posted on youtube.

Merrydeath

I was shock as hell to see Prime 4
but seeing this is a treat for me.
I know the issues with the Developers as I played mirror of fate on the 3ds
Funny though I was in the middle of the original Metroid 2 VC on my 3ds
I saw the thirty minutes gameplay. The graphics and gameplay seem fine to me and beside If it sell then sakamoto might finally do Metroid 5.

Jobbs

Banned
I think 3DS is really holding this one back. The presentation is very weak. The gameplay might be good. I'm skeptical of the development team in charge of it.

I don't have a 3DS so I don't think I'll ever get the chance to play it, in any case.

Retro was also a mess before they worked with Nintendo.

Top Bottom