• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS V: TPP PC releasing same day as consoles, Ground Zeroes free with pre-order

Javier23

Banned
Well, that's awesome news. However, I was planning on finally getting around to playing MGS4 and Peace Walker before V appeared on PC.

Any idea if playing 4 might be necessary? I've played 1-3 and Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes are a given for this, obviously. Playing 4 is a bit difficult due to my PS3 being in a different country at the moment.
Completely OK to leave 4 for later. In fact, I have the unpopular opinion that the plot of both games ought to work better by playing 5 first.

Grief.exe

When Konami ports the Legacy Collection to PC. And consoles too of course.

BGRGF0t.gif

Kezen

Banned
Have they hinted they are going to do that ?
It would make perfect sense to port the first three, no idea if they are allowed to release MGS 4 on PC.

pahamrick

It would make perfect sense to port the first three, no idea if they are allowed to release MGS 4 on PC.

There were rumors years ago of this happening, but there's been nothing substantial since. IIRC. the same guy who's source outed Platnium as taking over for Metal Gear Rising was the source for that as well.

Grief.exe

I don't know about the specific contract with Sony for MGS4, hopefully Konami can find a way to port it to other platforms.

However, Konami will be motivated to port the Legacy Collection, with or without MGS4, to PC/PS4/XBO. With Kojima gone, Konami will need to rebuild those studios if they want to make subsequent games. In the mean time, Konami can contract out to a third party development studio specialized in ports. Generate some more revenue off the back of the MGSV hype and marketing.

Kezen

Banned
There were rumors years ago of this happening, but there's been nothing substantial since. IIRC. the same guy who's source outed Platnium as taking over for Metal Gear Rising was the source for that as well.
Well Konami are sure taking their time. How on earth is this not a thing yet.

I don't know about the specific contract with Sony for MGS4, hopefully Konami can find a way to port it to other platforms.

However, Konami will be motivated to port the Legacy Collection, with or without MGS4, to PC/PS4/XBO. With Kojima gone, Konami will need to rebuild those studios if they want to make subsequent games. In the mean time, Konami can contract out to a third party development studio specialized in ports. Generate some more revenue off the back of the MGSV hype and marketing.

I'd like to replay MGS 4 one day, with proper IQ and framerate. PC or nothing.

TitusTroy

never having played any of the previous MGS games I just finished Ground Zeroes...took me awhile to get used to the mechanics and gameplay but now I love it...stealth is one of the best ever in video games...really looking forward to Phantom Pain

only issue was that the KB/M controls are pretty bad...remapping is terrible because so many keys are not able to be used to remap (side mouse buttons, entire NumPad etc)...interrogating enemies is ridiculous in that you pretty much have to press 3 keys at the same time...so many of the characters and plot points also seem catered to MGS fans who have played most of all of the previous games and they make it hard for newbies to jump in and understand all the details

the fact that the game is so amazing in spite of these flaws is incredible

dmshaposv

GZ with TPP combined is a sweet deal.

I have GZ on ps plus, and was planning to get mgsv on ps4. At this point im comfortable with my controller and historically bought all my mgs on a ps console so ill stick with that for now.

Grief.exe

GZ with TPP combined is a sweet deal.

I have GZ on ps plus, and was planning to get mgsv on ps4. At this point im comfortable with my controller and historically bought all my mgs on a ps console so ill stick with that for now.

DS4 works on PC. It's slowly becoming the preferred control method as it doesn't use an expensive, proprietary wireless connection method.

TitusTroy

DS4 works on PC. It's slowly becoming the preferred control method as it doesn't use an expensive, proprietary wireless connection method.

but it requires a bunch of 3rd party programs to run...it's not a simple plug-n-play like the Xbox controllers

Branson

I actually bought an Xbox one controller to replace my ds4 on PC. Way better to have official support than to fuck with third party shit.

Xiraiya

When Konami ports the Legacy Collection to PC. And consoles too of course.
BGRGF0t.gif
That would involve porting MGS4 to PC, which really should happen at some point, hell why not just make it MGS4 Remastered and reskin the game with TPP textures like how they changed the artstyle of MGS3 for 3DS to Peace Walker style textures.

but it requires a bunch of 3rd party programs to run...it's not a simple plug-n-play like the Xbox controllers
Depends how much you look into it, Dualshock 3 now has a solid method that is literally just installing a driver and away you go, works without running any dodgy programs and stuff like that, I've been through that nonsense, it use to bluescreen my old PC fairly frequently.

Grief.exe

I actually bought an Xbox one controller to replace my ds4 on PC. Way better to have official support than to fuck with third party shit.

The struggle is real, damn.

Depends how much you look into it, Dualshock 3 now has a solid method that is literally just installing a driver and away you go, works without running any dodgy programs and stuff like that, I've been through that nonsense, it use to bluescreen my old PC fairly frequently.

Never use motion joy, not even once.

I tried playing GZ with mouse and keyboard, but it was all sorts of fuckery for me. My 360 controller worked just fine, despite the somewhat stark jumps in sensitivity when fine-aiming in FP.
I might upgrade to a Xbone pad. How are those working out for everybody?

jsnepo

AMD needs to provide a new driver for select GPUs to work especially if we look how Ground Zeroes is ruined.

KarmaCow

Adding a free copy of GZ is pretty useless if you were planning on buying TPP because you probably owned it anyway.

I think the point is to pass it on to your friends, to get them excited for TPP. I know playing GZ after buying it during the summer sale made me more excited for MGSV proper.

Valnen

I think the point is to pass it on to your friends, to get them excited for TPP. I know playing GZ after buying it during the summer sale made me more excited for MGSV proper.

This is honestly probably it. A friend bought me GZ recently and MGS5 went from a "meh" release to something I actually really want. I'm still bitter that we probably won't be able to do long codec calls in the full game and that snake probably won't talk all that much, though.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine

Right, but if you're an MGS fan there is a very high percentage that you already bought GZ and will buy TPP regardless. Getting your friends who are aware of MGS is a good reason.

you know, if it weren't for Konami turning into a group of supervillains, I'd be side-eying Phantom Pain a lot more. Especially considering how long its taken, how much money its taken to make, and some of the character design decisions.

also Ground Zeroes' entire existence.

But Konami has effectively turned Kojima into the underdog and that's displaced things.

Sol1dus

Guys I played Ground Zeroes on PC. It looked ok, I don't think it was running at 60fps. I have an i7 Nvidia something Vaio Laptop from 2013.

Should I get a PS4 for the game, just play it on PC or play it on PS3?

This is coming from someone who bought a PS3 for MGS4 once the prices dropped to $250.

Adnor

Banned
What's the usual price for their preorders? In other words, how much lower than Steam is it?

I don't know the usual price, but GTA V was 30 bucks.

Guys I played Ground Zeroes on PC. It looked ok, I don't think it was running at 60fps. I have an i7 Nvidia something Vaio Laptop from 2013.

Should I get a PS4 for the game, just play it on PC or play it on PS3?

This is coming from someone who bought a PS3 for MGS4 once the prices dropped to $250.

If it looked better than in PS3 just play it on PC and lock the framerate to 30 FPS.

TitusTroy

I hear you might be able to import your saved game from Ground Zeroes into Phantom Pain...so the prisoners/POW's you rescued might be a part of your team...but how would this work?...is it based on the highest score, your latest save file etc?...if I get an S rank in the Ground Zeroes mission but I didn't rescue any prisoners will that count over another save file in which I rescued all the prisoners but only got an A rank?

Corpekata

Banned
I hear you might be able to import your saved game from Ground Zeroes into Phantom Pain...so the prisoners/POW's you rescued might be a part of your team...but how would this work?...is it based on the highest score, your latest save file etc?...if I get an S rank in the Ground Zeroes mission but I didn't rescue any prisoners will that count over another save file in which I rescued all the prisoners but only got an A rank?

Don't think they've really released the specifics.

I'd wager as long as you rescue them once it must flag your file or something.

Top Bottom