• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS3: hunting and stamina

Tieno

A couple of weeks ago I bought MGS2 and 3 (both non-platinum) for 10euros each from some guy (I almost feel guilty). I finished MGS2 in a couple of days and really liked it. Never saw so much cutscenes, but I liked it a lot in its own way, it didn't bother me at all. It was a different and unique experience, so that's always a good thing.

Now, I started up MGS 3 and read a bit of the manual and got discouraged after 10 minutes. All the shit about 'hunting' and 'stamina' I couldn't care less about. 'Maintenance' features like this really turn me off in games like these. Does it hinder the flow of the game? How distracting are they?

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Doesnt hinder anything. It shouldnt keep you from playing one of the best games from the current gen

Solo

You dont really need to use camo and stuff, so theyre only as hindering as you make them.

Prrwuuuuuuuu

Stamina supplements the life bar. Hunting/Eating food replaces the rations.

Keep stamina up and then you'll regain life faster.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Tieno said:
A couple of weeks ago I bought MGS2 and 3 (both non-platinum) for 10euros each from some guy (I almost feel guilty). I finished MGS2 in a couple of days and really liked it. Never saw so much cutscenes, but I liked it a lot in its own way, it didn't bother me at all. It was a different and unique experience, so that's always a good thing.

Now, I started up MGS 3 and read a bit of the manual and got discouraged after 10 minutes. All the shit about 'hunting' and 'stamina' I couldn't care less about. 'Maintenance' features like this really turn me off in games like these. Does it hinder the flow of the game? How distracting are they?

Not really distracting at all. Play up to at least 3 hours in and things will get GREAT from then on.

SaitoH

MGS3 is a bit daunting initially, but once you get feel of things it's an awesome game. Didn't break the flow at all for me.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Dude, you shoot a damned snake/animal/whatever. It takes all of a few seconds to knife/tranq/or shoot something. Takes even less time to eat said animal. It doesn't hinder a thing... (Not to be rude)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What is that prrruuuwwuuuu sound?

My impression was that food is always very plentiful in MGS3. There's always plenty of food available for the easy taking without making any special effort. Assuming you don't go gobbling down tons of food, you'll always have more than enough in your inventory. Just make sure to keep track of which foods are the "good" ones (that restore lots of stamina) and don't throw those away...

mug

There's a lot of shit running around in the jungle. After about 15minutes, you'll get the hang of it. The stamina gage doesn't really go down too quickly unless you strain yourself. It's a good thing to have in order to regenerate health - instead of leaving medpacks in the jungle.

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
I love this game and is easily my favorite game this gen, but I'll be the first to say that the stamina/health upkeep is distracting. If they had made it more accessible, at least as accessible as choosing different weapons and items, it wouldn't have interupted the flow of the game so much. Nothing was worse than being in this intense moment, with music going, then having to press Start, and everything going quiet, with a smidge of loading and the music stopping...and it's all menu from there on out.

It's the worst thing in the best game on the planet...please do yourelf a favor and play it

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
Greenpanda said:
My impression was that food is always very plentiful in MGS3. There's always plenty of food available for the easy taking without making any special effort. Assuming you don't go gobbling down tons of food, you'll always have more than enough in your inventory. Just make sure to keep track of which foods are the "good" ones (that restore lots of stamina) and don't throw those away...

I think I might be remembering too much of the Extreme mode. Yeah the normal difficulty levels are much mroe forgiving on the stamina levels and camoflauge neccessity.

jett

D-Member
PROTIP: The less weight you put on Snake the slower will his stamina bar deplete. Don't carry around shit that weighs over 2kg for no reason. :p

RumFore

Banned
mochuuu said:
I love this game and is easily my favorite game this gen, but I'll be the first to say that the stamina/health upkeep is distracting. If they had made it more accessible, at least as accessible as choosing different weapons and items, it wouldn't have interupted the flow of the game so much. Nothing was worse than being in this intense moment, with music going, then having to press Start, and everything going quiet, with a smidge of loading and the music stopping...and it's all menu from there on out.

It's the worst thing in the best game on the planet...please do yourelf a favor and play it

Ah come on it took two seconds.:lol

Aye camo is a pretty big part of the game, but hunting and food isn't too big of a deal. Just kill an animal here and there and for the most part you'll be fine.

It's more of a feature that gives back for what you put into it. I'm a massive fan of it and try to put a lot of emphasis on hunting all different sorts of foods, etc. If anything, I wish there was a mode that made the survival aspect even more hardcore. The more challenging difficulties only impact the combat in a big way I find.

What I enjoy is something I called Rambo mode, in that I purposely go balls to the wall, get shot up, jump off buildings and break my legs, leave bullets and crossbow bolts in my body (which visually stay there if you let the wound heal around them), etc. It gives me more to work with for the survival mode.

Brannon

Yeah, don't use Survival Viewer EVER until after you've beaten a boss, now THAT'S balls to the wall action hero shit!

Eating/using health regenerating items is okay so long as it doesn't require Survival Viewer.

llTll

Banned
whats funny is i finished the game on easy without having to eat anything or use the camo.

expect the last part of the game. i had to
to give food for that b!tch every 5 $#$#en seconds. and that pissed the hell out of me

the spoiler is about the last of the game. dont read it if you want to play the game

Newduck

I thought the whol camo, eating, and treatment aspects of MGS3 were decent ideas, but wearnt very fun at all just due to the slow, dull and unintuitive execution of them. Pressing start and going into a menu mid fight to changecamo/feed/take bullet wounds out of yourself was very distracting, and just felt like an annoyance to me.

Jumpman

you can complete the whole game without ever hunting or eating, and without ever changing camo (save for the Raikov sequence), so if you don't like those things, don't worry about it. :)

Ranger X

I actually liked trying to find all different animals i could taste. Anyhow, it's alot less boring than only taking "a ration" every time.
Also, this feature helps the immersion imo and makes you feel "there". Same for the medication.

MGS3 really did the best implementation of 2 normally boring gameplays really.

Top Bottom