• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV easter egg in Star Wars: The Force Awakens or Coincidence?

Platy

The comic releases on Feb 26th, 2016. IT's a one-shot special set directly between Episodes VI and VII. When it releases then we'll know.

latest

It is low res but I think I see a flaming whale in the background ...

BahamutPT

Coincidence.
Disney just wanted to sell more toys, so they came up with something slightly different to sell C-3PO again.

Spoilers for TFA
And he has his golden arm back in the goodbye scene before the island, so it is even more of a blatant attempt to sell more merch.

Cartman86

Banned
I mean obviously the in-fiction reason and the reason why JJ wanted the arm to be a different color has nothing to do with Metal Gear. The question is if he was inspired to make it red by Metal Gear. The answer is probably no.

blamite

Spoilers for TFA
And he has his golden arm back in the goodbye scene before the island, so it is even more of a blatant attempt to sell more merch.

Noooooooo, really? I didn't notice that on my first watch. I was really hoping he'd keep it. :( The red arm is so cool.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
what really bothers me is how (very mild TFA end-movie spoiler)
3PO is back to to two golden arms in the final scene when someone departs the base... HOW AND WHY DID HE GET A NEW ARM... WHY AT THAT MOMENT?

Star Wars is going to include an easter egg for a video game that it has nothing LITERALLY NOTHING to do with. Ok, sounds perfectly logical...

JJ put in "Jub jub" or something because Conan O'Brien asked him to; it has nothing to do with the movie and 99.9% of the audience won't even notice it.

So maybe the arm is a nod, or maybe it isn't. Somebody should ask JJ.

blamite

what really bothers me is how (very mild TFA end-movie spoiler)
3PO is back to to two golden arms in the final scene when someone departs the base... HOW AND WHY DID HE GET A NEW ARM... WHY AT THAT MOMENT?

Shortly after he first appears I think he says something like "we really do need to get my old arm reattached" or something. I'm pretty disappointed it actually happened though. :(

Aselith

Hey! I get this meme!

--

There's a Star Wars comic that explains how C-3PO got that arm. It's not a big deal. Stop pushing shitty image board memes.

DId you ever think that the comic is retconning the arm rather than the arm being because of the comic?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm going to say coincidence. Isn't it colored differently in the last gen versions anyways?

No the default color is always red but
you can get different arms later in the game.

Soulflarz

Banned
...Well why would there be?

This is dumb, it's not a reference.

And Phantom Pain wasn't MGSV
And PT wasn't secretly Silent Hills

You don't get it-
Every time Kojima has an obscure reference or secret, it's something deeper, we just haven't found it yet. The red arm is a clue because it leads us on to thinking about MGS, and by extension, Kojima. The photo above showing the clear Kojima logo on the side all but confirms it- this is Kojima's next big thing.
Honestly, what better place for him to announce his next big project than to start hinting it in a star wars film?
We'll have to wait for the home release to pick it apart more in depth though...

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Can't post the scan but a TFA art book says
"C-3PO is uncharacteristically quiet when it comes to discussing his salvaged arm; it is a memento of another android's sacrifice."

Sn4ke_911

...Well why would there be?

This is dumb, it's not a reference.

There doesn't need to be any reason for it. Look nobody is saying the Metal Gear and Star Wars universe is connected and C-3PO is Venom Snake in the future or anything crazy like that, i just made that comparison because Kojima is friends with J.J. Abrams and maybe just maybe it is not just coincidence and JJ added this little easter egg to the movie. That is all.

Mr. RHC

In collaboration with EatChildren.

mYCSu7m.jpg

WAxwPuL.png

Han Solo:
"Not much time left. The storm is passing. *Punished C3PO grabs the oil bottle*

Han Solo:
"Getting used to it?"

Han Solo:
"The area ahead is under total First Order control. Rey has been kept here for 10 days."

"After nine years on ice, solo infiltration of the Order main ground forces... Should be the perfect warm-up."

"She can't have much left in her. I'd give her three days, tops. If we fail -
and she dies -
we lose our chance to bring balance to the force. But we need more *Nope*. If you just go charging into Starkiller Base, you'll be putting both your lives at risk. See what you can find out first. The First Order got other outposts, not the just the one you saw."

"The galaxy is a big place. I expect you'll become quite familiar with your communication circuits as you plan your next move. How and where you make it... well that's up to you. From here on out you're on your own."

"You're a legend in the eyes of those who live on the battlefield. That's why you'll have to handle this mission yourself. Put those nine years behind you... and return... as C3PO. That's how Luke would want it. I'll be sending additional *Nope* by holograms. Stay oiled. Not one of Rey's bodyguards survived. And they were good. All we found at the scenes were their corpses... And this.

7QlcZRm.jpg

She'll be missing it. And you're her only hope at getting it back.

"Now go! Let the Force come back to life!"

Sn4ke_911

In collaboration with EatChildren.

mYCSu7m.jpg

WAxwPuL.png

Han Solo:
"Not much time left. The storm is passing. *Punished C3PO grabs the oil bottle*

Han Solo:
"Getting used to it?"

Han Solo:
"The area ahead is unter total First Order control. Rey has been kept here for 10 days."

"After nine years on ice, solo infiltration of the Order main ground forces... Should be the perfect warm-up."

"She can't have much left in her. I'd give her three days, tops. If we fail -
and she dies -
we lose our chance to bring balance to the force. But we need more *Nope*. If you just go charging into Starkiller Base, you'll be putting both your lives at risk. See what you can find out first. The First Order got other outposts, not the just the one you saw."

"The galaxy is a big place. I expect you'll become quite familiar with your communication circuits as you plan your next move. How and where you make it... well that's up to you. From here on out you're on your own."

"You're a legend in the eyes of those who live on the battlefield. That's why you'll have to handle this mission yourself. Put those nine years behind you... and return... as C3PO. That's how Luke would want it. I'll be sending additional *Nope* by holograms. Stay oiled. Not one of Rey's bodyguards survived. And they were good. All we found at the scenes were their corpses... And this.

7QlcZRm.jpg

She'll be missing it. And you're her only hope at getting it back.

"Now go! Let the Force come back to life!"

lmao great job guys. I would have changed Battlefield with Battlefront but this is gold.

majik13

Well there is the whole Ello Asty Beastie Boys reference already. Anyways yeah I noticed the red arm connection. Who knows.

Top Bottom